Author Topic: Armored Fightning Vehicles MK III  (Read 239349 times)

Kidd

• Major
Re: Armored Fightning Vehicles MK III
« Reply #1320 on: 14 February 2018, 09:13:50 »
Damn that Goliath is big. What was its payload again?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #1321 on: 14 February 2018, 12:40:26 »
Something like 60 kg of explosives, IIRC.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1322 on: 14 February 2018, 13:01:16 »
The original electric engine version carried 60 kg explosives, the two later ICE models carried 75 and 100 kg respectively for one-third the cost. About two thirds of the ~7,600 built Goliaths were the ICE models.
(the cost was relevant as - unlike other planned unmanned explosives carriers - the Goliath models could not deposit the explosives and it was therefore a one-way trip for them)

hoosierhick

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1323 on: 14 February 2018, 18:04:03 »
How about a Kettenkrad?   :D

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #1324 on: 14 February 2018, 18:09:49 »
The original electric engine version carried 60 kg explosives, the two later ICE models carried 75 and 100 kg respectively for one-third the cost.
Whoa. BIG bada boom!!

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #1325 on: 15 February 2018, 01:24:10 »
And to think three people were supposed to be crammed in the Befehlpanzer I.
Shoot first, laugh later.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1326 on: 15 February 2018, 02:03:39 »
Whoa. BIG bada boom!!
The far bigger Borgward IV - about the size of a tankette - with the same remote-control concept could drop a 500 kg payload next to a target and then return. 1200 built. They had a single seat for a driver since they'd be driven on their own manned towards a target, with the driver then stepping off and remote-controlling the Borgward IV until it deposited its mine and returned to pick him up.

As for the Kettenkrad, the same company also built a tracked-only unmanned version of it as a "medium explosives depositer" called "Springer" that could deliver a 330 kg payload, but would be exploded at the target like a Goliath. Was considered not worthwhile even if it could be built at the same factory with the same tooling; only 50 built in 1943 before it was aborted.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1327 on: 16 February 2018, 01:51:50 »
Question: was the tank in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade a real tank or something that was made up for the movie?

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1328 on: 16 February 2018, 02:50:26 »
Made up, based on an extended Mark I Male designs from the brits in WWII.  The 6pdr guns on the side sponsons seem accurate to the early versions, and it's certainly got the open interior of the early models, though the overall length resembles a compartmentalized Mk VII or VIII.  The turret on top never showed up during the originals, I'm not sure what tank it might be from (if any).
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #1329 on: 16 February 2018, 08:16:04 »
http://indianajones.wikia.com/wiki/Mark_VII_Tank

made up design, with the prop vehicle built ontop of an old excavator. was basically a Mk.VIII type body with a rather anachronistic Cromwell type turret added.
« Last Edit: 16 February 2018, 18:08:08 by glitterboy2098 »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1330 on: 16 February 2018, 11:15:52 »
I thought that might be the case, but I wasn't sure that it wasn't some bizarre inter-war experimental design.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #1331 on: 16 February 2018, 11:55:10 »
Much like the completely made up flying wing in the original.
I have spoken.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #1332 on: 16 February 2018, 16:28:55 »
Either way, it's pretty cool!
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #1333 on: 16 February 2018, 18:07:46 »
I thought that might be the case, but I wasn't sure that it wasn't some bizarre inter-war experimental design.
i suspect that was the intent, to make you wonder if it was just some obscure design rather than an obvious fake. much like the flying wing in the first film, which was also unique to the film, but certainly looked rather like something the Horton brothers or Alexander Lippisch might have designed.

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #1334 on: 16 February 2018, 23:53:46 »
http://indianajones.wikia.com/wiki/Mark_VII_Tank

made up design, with the prop vehicle built ontop of an old excavator. was basically a Mk.VIII type body with a rather anachronistic Cromwell type turret added.

Probably had a touch of the Char D2 for that turret idea
http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/france/ww2_French_Tanks.php
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #1335 on: 02 March 2018, 02:03:47 »
Behold the Ford M1918 3-ton tank!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-C_a4HpQr8&ytbChannel=null

I found it here - http://peashooter85.tumblr.com/post/171400453803/historicalfirearms-ford-m1918-3-ton-tank-when

And to quote it -

he M1918 was to be armed with a single .30-06 machine gun, but unlike the FT the M1918′s was fitted in a mount with limited traverse rather than a turret. A large front hatch was positioned in front of the driver’s position with a large cupolaon top of the tank with vision slits. On the right of the tank was the gunner’s position and to the rear wear the two Model T engines, in total the M1918 was 14 feet in length.

US Army Ordnance was eager to get tanks into production and 15,000 M1918s were ordered with an initial batch of 15 for testing. One of these was sent to France and officers that evaluated the prototype tanks found them lacking. From the available photographs the M1918 appears to have an exposed front axel just in front of the hull, this would have been susceptible to damage from enemy fire. The tank’s tracks are also extremely narrow, while the tank was light, this could have conceivably lead to issues with getting bogged down in thick mud.

The war ended before large scale production of the M1918 could begin, and as a result the first mass produced American tank was the M1917, a modified version of the Renault FT. The M1917, was delayed in production and did not reach US forces in France before the end of the war. In total Some 950 M1917s were built by Van Dorn Iron Works, the Maxwell Motor Co., and the C.L. Best Co. by 1919.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #1336 on: 02 March 2018, 02:28:46 »
That needs a winged skull and a "for the Emperor" painted on the side.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1337 on: 10 March 2018, 13:30:25 »
I'm wondering. Tanks can't really navigate forests, at least thick ones. What about wheeled APCs or IFVs like Stryker?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #1338 on: 10 March 2018, 13:44:57 »
Well, there's always the Ardennes ...

Any forest adjacent to civilised/populated areas will have roads, fire trails, dirt roads etc. They may not go exactly where you want, but will probably get you there eventually. The thinner the vehicle the more such trails it can take, and the easier time it'll have. Strykers tend to be thinner than Abrams, no?

And anyone who didn't dump google map images of the ops area before movement isn't cheating ;)

But neither can go casually bumbling cross-country through old-growth forest, true.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1339 on: 10 March 2018, 13:55:54 »
Roads are one thing but forest proper? (Not that one has really incentive to really drive tanks through wilderness forests, if it is wilderness, the odds are there ain't no people nor anything relevant anywhere close.)
I mostly started wondering because BT rules prohibit even light forest from wheeled vehicles, though i can't find any logical reason for that. Multiple pairs of large wheels probably aren't as good as tracks in forest terrain but wheeled vehicles are also lighter usually so it probably cancels out.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #1340 on: 10 March 2018, 14:51:01 »
It's about the ability to push down bushes & small trees. Tanks can do this - greater traction due to larger surface area touching dirt, and usually greater mass & power. They can bull their way through.

I'm sure ex-trackheads on the forums will have a rule of thumb - IIRC tanks can push over a tree with 6" wide trunk (at base). MOre than that, they go "thunk".

So it's not about the ground pressure, it's about the smash-pressure.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #1341 on: 10 March 2018, 15:01:22 »
I'm sure ex-trackheads on the forums will have a rule of thumb - IIRC tanks can push over a tree with 6" wide trunk (at base). MOre than that, they go "thunk".
Easily lots of hardwood trees bigger than that in thick woods.
I'm wondering. Tanks can't really navigate forests, at least thick ones. What about wheeled APCs or IFVs like Stryker?
Even less so. Trees and undergrowth and root-grown rocks - contrary to what Hollywood thinks, tanks don't mow down trees just like that. Even navigating between them is hard. I'm told that moving through tropical jungle, protrusions like machine-gun turrets and antennae can get entangled or even ripped off - strapping packs or equipment on the hull is an excellent way to lose that stuff at best, or get your APC hung up at worst.

Then there's ridges and ravines and creeks and gullies and so on. Tanks and APCs stick to cities, road networks and farm and orchards at best. Full-blown triple-canopy monsoon jungle is the domain of foot infantry, period.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1342 on: 10 March 2018, 15:20:41 »
Then there's ridges and ravines and creeks and gullies and so on.
I think there was a pic in this thread earlier where a tank had fallen on its nose from a very small cliff (not sure it was large enough to be called that even).

(And this reminds me of me and my friend managing to lodge the Scorpion tank in one Halo game between a cliff and a rock nose pointing down...)

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #1343 on: 10 March 2018, 15:46:20 »
Speaking of Scorpions, the FV101 Scorpion was designed to operate... no, not in jungle, but in cleared trails, palm oil and rubber estates where a small armoured vehicle might slip between the bigger trees.

Their low ground pressure made them invaluable in the Falklands War where a company of Scorpions and Scimitars were the only armoured vehicles on the island. That doesn't mean they don't bog down...

A few Scimitars are still in use in the British Army in the armoured recon role, seen here dressed up for the desert. All this stuff would never survive a trip through a jungle.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #1344 on: 11 March 2018, 12:04:24 »
I'm wondering. Tanks can't really navigate forests, at least thick ones.
They did in Finland. Forests, swamps, lakes, rivers, little in the way of the roads. Because of all the swamps and waterbodies, Stalin decided to launch the war in winter so Red Army could just march over the ice. Though the roads had the heaviest concentration (which were cut off with barricades, machine guns, and artillery), good number of tanks operated in the forests. Particularly in the following Continuation War.

[edit]
I recall seeing a video (part of the news or something) where Finnish Army trains in the forests. Tracked trucks there, maybe on a dirt road (covered by snow).
« Last Edit: 11 March 2018, 12:07:24 by Matti »
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1345 on: 11 March 2018, 12:39:22 »
Sure, i mean, one can move in forest with a tank somewhat. Hell, it is a necessity here in Finland, so i don't doubt they train that.
But there are limits to what they can do. Trees are stubborn and don't move out of the way really. Can't really rush through a forest like BT's Mechs can, yes?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1346 on: 11 March 2018, 12:54:38 »
It also depends on the forest.  Trees in boreal forests tend to be spaced out a bit more than trees i a temperate broad-leaf forest.

Then again, the Blitzkrieg succeeded because Germany was able to get tanks through a section of the French border that was undefended because it was thought to be too densely forested for tanks to navigate.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #1347 on: 11 March 2018, 13:05:25 »
Yup, and thats where advantage lies wholly with the defenders. This here bit of terrain which looks impassable and is marked as such? Might have a hidden trail where the defenders can move tanks into a position flanking the highway where an attacker's tanks have to pass.

Something like the Ho Chi Minh trail, but with an ambush in mind.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #1348 on: 11 March 2018, 15:32:32 »
Yup, and thats where advantage lies wholly with the defenders. This here bit of terrain which looks impassable and is marked as such? Might have a hidden trail where the defenders can move tanks into a position flanking the highway where an attacker's tanks have to pass.
I believe Finland did just that in Winter War. But with trucks instead of with tanks: trucks hauled machine guns, mortars, and radios through small paths unknown for Red Army and thus could bring some heavy firepower where it was not expected.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #1349 on: 11 March 2018, 21:28:53 »
I believe Finland did just that in Winter War. But with trucks instead of with tanks: trucks hauled machine guns, mortars, and radios through small paths unknown for Red Army and thus could bring some heavy firepower where it was not expected.

The Finnish "local advantage" was a massive force multiplier for the young nation. The Soviets and Germans alike were terrified of the Finns' ability to strike from seemingly nowhere and vanish again. One need only look at the casualty numbers from the Winter and Continuation Wars to see that this was far more than just wartime myth.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP