Author Topic: The Great Boxed Set Mission  (Read 4999 times)

LeoCeballos

• Private
The Great Boxed Set Mission
« on: 15 February 2017, 00:05:08 »
So I'm finally getting back into all things Battletech for the first time in over a decade. Except, well, a few years ago I grabbed an introductory boxed set out of nostalgia, and because it seemed like a great value. I was disappointed at the quality of the plastic, though I well understood that 24 minis for the price I had paid was quite a good deal.

Well, then HBS did their Battletech Kickstarter and now there is an honest-to-God Mechwarrior 5 trailer kicking about. The HYPE!!

*Ahem*. So I dug out that boxed set, and out of curiosity after reading about the improved plastic, I also picked up a "Pursuit Lance" of "Alpha Strike" mechs (speaking of which, I still need to try out AS...).

THE MISSION: I've promised myself: no more 'mechs until I get these painted up! So, that's 28 mechs. I decided to split them up into two Companies of three lances each, plus a separate lance of more customized paint jobs. Part of the reasoning is that I intend to use the two "generic" companies as "teams" to teach the game with.

So far so good, I think! I'm still occasionally running into problems with the old plastic being warped or missing details, but I've worked around it relatively well, I think.

12 down, 16 to go!

sadlerbw

• Captain
Re: The Great Boxed Set Mission
« Reply #1 on: 15 February 2017, 13:02:37 »
Very nicely done, and extra kudos on the basing. I would love to be able to execute on a straightforward paint scheme as well as you have done here...but my painting skills always were my weakest point in making minis. What did you use as the 'grit' on your bases?

Also, I like the mod to that Catapult. Those doors are a really great addition to the plastic mini. Not sure why I never thought to do it myself, but now that I've seen it, I think the next plastic I do will have to add missile doors!

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 15 February 2017, 13:21:59 »
Also, I like the mod to that Catapult. Those doors are a really great addition to the plastic mini. Not sure why I never thought to do it myself, but now that I've seen it, I think the next plastic I do will have to add missile doors!

With the exception of the Alpha Strike and a few others, most of the plastic miniatures produced have been of less than admirable quality. Because of this, most people treat them like garbage, paint them like garbage and end up with garbage, all the while complaining it is the poor quality of the mini that caused the results.

In fact, almost any of the plastics can look good if you just spend a little time with them. Adding little details like doors on the Catapult and antennas certainly help with this, as does taking time with the paint. Like anything, you tend to get out of it what you put into it.

LeoCeballos: These are solid pieces and certainly help with my stance as listed above. I can't wait to see the rest, and would suggest that you might want to look at the original artwork and try to pick out details that the plastic minis lack and then add them in, like you did with the Catapult.

Also, I too like that they are on full sized bases, but that can get to be a little expensive. What I do is glue a thick metal washer to the bottom of mine, then I flip a base over and using green stuff, build up the plastic base so it is standard size. The washer adds enough weight to help keep them up-right, but is inexpensive to buy.

Caz

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #3 on: 15 February 2017, 13:39:48 »
You've done an amazing job elevating the Box Set minis. These are brilliant. Especially love the olive-drab group.
Can't wait to see what you do with the rest... although, I do find myself left wanting a few close-up shots. Kudos!!

-Justin

LeoCeballos

• Private
« Reply #4 on: 15 February 2017, 14:50:33 »
Cazaril: about the bases - I ordered this set from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ISV580K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It actually came with something like 64 plastic bases, for like $8 shipped. I've already based all 28 of the mechs I currently have, and I still have a bagfull of bases waiting for minis!

I use some stones and sand I bought from a hobby store; probably for train use. That sand I find has grains that are a bit too large though, so when my sister asked me to buy and carry 50lb of fine, hygenic "sandbox" sand for my nieces, I agreed on the condition that I could keep a canfull, and so I did. So I'll have some coarser and some finer areas on the bases to add variation.

I've been looking in some cases at the models from camospecs to "restore' detail. After taking that first pic, for example, I painted in the side windows to the Zeus. Also, in a couple of minis, including the grey jenner and the Cyclops (the worst I've painted so far in terms of messed up detail) I actually added some "panels" made out of scrap plastic to cover up particularly chewed up parts and add some "non canon" details (field modifications, of course  :P ).

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #5 on: 15 February 2017, 15:11:40 »
Nice job.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #6 on: 15 February 2017, 18:39:21 »
You've done an amazing job elevating the Box Set minis. These are brilliant. Especially love the olive-drab group.
Can't wait to see what you do with the rest... although, I do find myself left wanting a few close-up shots. Kudos!!

Completely agree with IACW. Mind walking us through your painting processes?

And completely agree on using "found" flocking. Go to a local landscaping store, ask for samples of sand of different types. Let it dry out - instant free flocking!
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

LeoCeballos

• Private
« Reply #7 on: 15 February 2017, 20:47:54 »
Completely agree with IACW. Mind walking us through your painting processes?

And completely agree on using "found" flocking. Go to a local landscaping store, ask for samples of sand of different types. Let it dry out - instant free flocking!

Hey worktroll, I've been asked about posting my process elsewhere, so I've decided to document/take pics as I work on the next lance of the khaki ones. As soon as that is done, I'll be sure to post and link here. But I here's the quickie description:
____
For these brown ones, I primer with black, then do a full cover coat of the khaki (the base is prepped with some stones and sand grains and painted neutral grey/black mix). Then I do a base coat on some areas with grey (joints, weapons, etc). Then I do a fairly aggressive wash, mostly of very dark grey with maybe a bit of brown.

Up to then its "assembly line" style, having done the last three at the same time (the Vindicator was the prototype). But at this point I pick one and first go back in cleaning up with the khaki and neutral grey again (I tend to be overly aggressive with the wash) and then highlight with the "buff" and with a grey/white mix for the grey details. Then when its getting close I do the white lines (and then clean those up with more khaki, inevitably). The cockpits are black/brown for the base coat, then a mix of mahogany brown and yellow for the lighter areas, and some white points for the reflection/shine effect. The base of these is just hit with two or three progressively lighter grey drybrush passes.
________

pipeline

• Corporal
    • My painting blog
« Reply #8 on: 16 February 2017, 01:58:35 »
Lookin' good!

Having polished a few of the plastic turds myself, I suspect that I'll eventually get a few of them in real american metal.

LeoCeballos

• Private
« Reply #9 on: 22 February 2017, 01:13:56 »
One more lance down!

2nd Company is shaping up.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 22 February 2017, 06:59:09 »
With the last intro box (now our of print) and the lance packs, many of the minis are the same as the metal version as far as detail etc. My poor Ral Partha Awesome looks the same as the plastic awesome. Not sure if IWM still uses the same mold as that sculpt or not, but you can also find others such as the Catapult in metal as well. TBH I prefer the old Ral Partha Cat and the plastic/metal starter Cat over the current IWM sculpt. It looks too fat to me. Love the paint job so far. Can't wait to see the rest.

LeoCeballos

• Private
« Reply #11 on: 22 February 2017, 09:01:42 »
With the last intro box (now our of print) and the lance packs, many of the minis are the same as the metal version as far as detail etc. My poor Ral Partha Awesome looks the same as the plastic awesome. Not sure if IWM still uses the same mold as that sculpt or not, but you can also find others such as the Catapult in metal as well. TBH I prefer the old Ral Partha Cat and the plastic/metal starter Cat over the current IWM sculpt. It looks too fat to me. Love the paint job so far. Can't wait to see the rest.

I do have a lance pack (hence the two Jenners) and those that plastic is so much nicer! I have the older plastic set (no bonus minis, just the 24 3025 mechs) and that plastic is pretty awful. As far as I can tell its the same sculpt, just (much) crappier plastic.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 22 February 2017, 23:10:00 »
Yeah, I've seen pics of those. A few folks who post pics here have done some amazing work with those horrid little devils though. So fear not, they can be made to look... better.

The next 24 mech intro box *should* according to some people that it will contain the new classics. No word on when though, but hoping before the end of the year. Must buy several.

Oh and if you find this intro box at a decent price get it https://www.amazon.com/Catalyst-Game-Labs-CAT3500B-Introductory/dp/193687685X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487822923&sr=8-1&keywords=battletech+intro+box there are the same plastic mechs as the lance packs.

Hayden.

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 22 February 2017, 23:16:36 »
You're doing a really great job with these!  I especially like the olive drab machines.
Hayden

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 23 February 2017, 08:42:39 »
Very nice O0

LeoCeballos

• Private
« Reply #15 on: 25 February 2017, 02:14:58 »
Three more... mixed trio this time.

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 25 February 2017, 10:02:49 »
It just hit me that your bases are consistent (you always use rust/red for the grey, and grey for the tan). Good for you. I hope you continue with this.

In the BattleTech universe, there is sometimes more than one unit painted in a certain color scheme (23rd Arcturan Guards and Comstar jump to mind). If you use the same base for each member of a unit, and change the base design for each unit, the combination of paint scheme and base design will make it easier to pick out which mechs belong to which unit. Granted, unit insignia will do the same thing, but you have to be close enough to see the insignia.

As an added bonus, Mechs of one paint scheme, all based with a uniform design, look much more like they belong together.

Caz

LeoCeballos

• Private
« Reply #17 on: 25 February 2017, 13:51:52 »
It just hit me that your bases are consistent (you always use rust/red for the grey, and grey for the tan). Good for you. I hope you continue with this.

In the BattleTech universe, there is sometimes more than one unit painted in a certain color scheme (23rd Arcturan Guards and Comstar jump to mind). If you use the same base for each member of a unit, and change the base design for each unit, the combination of paint scheme and base design will make it easier to pick out which mechs belong to which unit. Granted, unit insignia will do the same thing, but you have to be close enough to see the insignia.

As an added bonus, Mechs of one paint scheme, all based with a uniform design, look much more like they belong together.

Caz

Well my plan is that each company will have the same base/paint scheme. Part of it just that I like the color scheme - I feel like the base should be an integrated element of the overall design. Sadly, it also means that the guys in my unit are doomed to have the single crappiest record of having the right camo for the mission in the history of the Inner Sphere ;)
« Last Edit: 25 February 2017, 13:53:26 by LeoCeballos »

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: 25 February 2017, 14:56:44 »
Sadly, it also means that the guys in my unit are doomed to have the single crappiest record of having the right camo for the mission in the history of the Inner Sphere ;)

That shouldn't really be a worry...

Take the Marik Militia... Purple, with blue and red highlights. What environment makes that look nature?

I've set standard base designs for all the units I've painted (23rd Arcturan Guards are on snow. 17th Galedon Regulars in the city. 349th Dragoons on grass with rocks. 256th Support on Tarmac. 9th Marik Militia on volcanic rock with purple flowers growing in the cracks.... etc). Sometime, like with the 23rd and 17th, I found that they have a "specialty" and that helped dictate the base. In those cases, it happens that the Mech seem to blend in. Others like the 349th Dragoons, whose color scheme is grey and burgundy, don't blend with their base so much as it helps to bring the colors of the Mech out. That "bringing the color out" though is why a lot of the buildings the members of the 17th are seen next to are red brick, and why the 23rd's bases have dark green trees...

Honestly, I'd rather see a Mech's base be different from it's color scheme. Otherwise you end up with "A Ghost eating marshmallows in a snow storm"...

Caz 

LeoCeballos

• Private
« Reply #19 on: 25 February 2017, 16:57:16 »
Just made a blog post about the paint scheme/process in case anyone is interested:

https://leoceballos.wordpress.com/2017/02/25/battlemech-painting-process-2nd-company/

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
    • The Livewire's Battletech Blog
« Reply #20 on: 25 February 2017, 21:21:07 »
That spider is beautiful.
Alamo - When you care enough to send the very best.

And Purifiers *still* suck.

Now doing battletech blogging
https://livewire2112.blogspot.com/search/label/Battletech

greasyspoon

• Corporal
« Reply #21 on: 27 February 2017, 10:28:34 »
thanks a lot for the write up.  I have a command lance that I will steal the color scheme for.  I really like the looks of them.

If you do a write for the grey or at least post the colors you are using that would be nice.

Thanks

serrate

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #22 on: 27 February 2017, 11:03:29 »
Really nice work! It's always great to see a consistent scheme, and your basing is excellent.  O0

LeoCeballos

• Private
« Reply #23 on: 27 February 2017, 12:33:21 »
thanks a lot for the write up.  I have a command lance that I will steal the color scheme for.  I really like the looks of them.

If you do a write for the grey or at least post the colors you are using that would be nice.

Thanks

Hey Livewire, so the grey ones are simpler; they are just the "neutral grey" that I use on the Khaki ones, with "Sky Grey" for highlights. I do darken the neutral grey to do some of the parts in the joints and such, just to add a little variation. The base is... heh I can't quite remember, but its a mix of mahogany brown, some red or another, and for the lighter drybrushes, I mixed in some of the "buff" color that is used to highlight the Khaki minis. Sorry I don't remember exactly; I painted all the bases for those very early on.

greasyspoon

• Corporal
« Reply #24 on: 27 February 2017, 15:10:59 »
finished your write up and saw the grey colors listed.  Thanks though  just got excited and wanted to say thanks. 
good to know on the bases for color.  I am going to try the martian ironearth on my bases.  Similar color but looks dry cracked desert look.

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #25 on: 01 March 2017, 05:42:37 »
Very nice! O0

LeoCeballos

• Private
« Reply #26 on: 07 March 2017, 08:34:24 »
Mission accomplished!

I made it through the final five the best I could. The Cicada in particular has issues with the sculpt and the plastic being messed up - there are reason's why I left it for last - but it looks pretty good from above.

But the important thing is I finished! Two full companies of fully painted 'Mechs. I have a bunch of hobby projects up in the air that I can never seem to finish, so getting this one done feels really good. Now to plan the next batch... ;)

Final five!

1st Company

2nd Company

The full unit!

greasyspoon

• Corporal
« Reply #27 on: 07 March 2017, 16:26:07 »
They all look very good.

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #28 on: 09 March 2017, 03:12:42 »
 O0

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
  • Battletech and Paintball. Life is good.
« Reply #29 on: 20 March 2017, 15:25:37 »
Well done!