Author Topic: Battletech at DragonCon?  (Read 2032 times)

FlyingTurtle

• Recruit
Battletech at DragonCon?
« on: 04 September 2012, 19:23:20 »
Did I miss Catalyst games at DragonCon in Atlanta this weekend?  I did not see a table for them and I do not remember them from last year either?  Also, was there any Dark Age Mechwarrior games this year?  I don't remember seeing any in the program.

97jedi

Re: Battletech at DragonCon?
« Reply #1 on: 04 September 2012, 20:16:36 »
I do not know about Dark Age games, but there were Battletech games being run at D*C.

Catalyst has not had a booth there since 2010.

Grognard

• Lieutenant
  • BTU.org & LotB.com Member
« Reply #2 on: 04 September 2012, 20:18:46 »
30k attendees at DragonCon this year!
WHY the heck doesn't Catalyst send a crew?

GROGNARD:  An old, grumpy soldier, a long term campaigner (Fr); Someone who enjoys playing tactics and strategy based board wargames;  a game fan who will buy every game released in a certain genre of computer game (RTS, or computer role-playing game, etc.)

General308

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 04 September 2012, 20:33:17 »
30k attendees at DragonCon this year!
WHY the heck doesn't Catalyst send a crew?

I think they were at PAX this year which is the same weekend.  I don't know why they stopped going to Dragon Con however

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #4 on: 04 September 2012, 20:50:20 »
I think there is also traveling and hotel expense to consider, especially when they're just gotten back from GenCon AND most of the senior people live in Washington State....

Also, DragonCon is a wide-open con in which gaming is only a part of the con. There's sci-fiction, fantasy, cosplay, (Much more than GenCon), anime, and a heck of a lot more celebs than GenCon. GenCon had 30k gamers, people who CGL might be able to see a game to. While DragonCon may have 30k attendees, most won't have an interest in gaming. I think CGL thinks that it isn't cost effective for them to have a D*C presence....

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

The Hawk

• Warrant Officer
  • Have talons, will travel.
« Reply #5 on: 04 September 2012, 23:12:54 »
I agree that that must be the conclusion reached, but it's been a source of personal disappointment for the past two years.  Particularly since I was the first person at their table in 2010 and immediately dropped a couple hundred bucks on the years' worth of stuff I had yet to acquire.

Alas, now that the con delirium has passed, I'll just have to order it all.  But it's the lack of instant gratification that saddens me the most. ;)

(Apropos of nothing, perhaps it would be worth considering cross-marketing with the MechCorps guys?  They seem to have found it economical to keep bringing the pods...)

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #6 on: 05 September 2012, 09:29:23 »
I agree that that must be the conclusion reached, but it's been a source of personal disappointment for the past two years.  Particularly since I was the first person at their table in 2010 and immediately dropped a couple hundred bucks on the years' worth of stuff I had yet to acquire.

Alas, now that the con delirium has passed, I'll just have to order it all.  But it's the lack of instant gratification that saddens me the most. ;)

(Apropos of nothing, perhaps it would be worth considering cross-marketing with the MechCorps guys?  They seem to have found it economical to keep bringing the pods...)

Yes, but the pods also very much appeal to the hordes of video gamers out there (a MUCH BIGGER market).

I think the big difference is D*C is a convention that has gaming.  Gencon/Origins/ Pax are much more Gaming Conventions.

I'd bet that if Catalyst had the resources to, they would have a bigger presence at D*C
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #7 on: 05 September 2012, 11:16:56 »
Yes, but the pods also very much appeal to the hordes of video gamers out there (a MUCH BIGGER market).

I think the big difference is D*C is a convention that has gaming.  Gencon/Origins/ Pax are much more Gaming Conventions.

I'd bet that if Catalyst had the resources to, they would have a bigger presence at D*C

Agreed. CGL does have limited resources and I think they prefer to concentrate on the Cons with the best groups of potential customers or are close to home.

I know someone who went to D*C, and all they did was Cosplay. And from the D*C pictures I've seen, they were far from being alone. Gamers at D*C were only a slice of the attendence.

Add in travel, product transportation, hotel space, con expenses (food, buying vendor space, ect.), it's a lot of money for not a large pontential return.....

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #8 on: 05 September 2012, 13:11:49 »
While it may not have been oragnized and run by Catalyst, there were BT games being run at DragonCon.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #9 on: 05 September 2012, 14:01:45 »
While it may not have been oragnized and run by Catalyst, there were BT games being run at DragonCon.
The ones I'm aware of were run by Catalyst agents, so that's as close as you can get.

Please note that while y'all draw your own conclusions, and though quite logical they may be, CGL has not commented on it's absence from D*C.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Grognard

• Lieutenant
  • BTU.org & LotB.com Member
« Reply #10 on: 05 September 2012, 21:11:09 »
Well then, let me make this Comment TO CGL:
Please come to DragonCon 2013.

GROGNARD:  An old, grumpy soldier, a long term campaigner (Fr); Someone who enjoys playing tactics and strategy based board wargames;  a game fan who will buy every game released in a certain genre of computer game (RTS, or computer role-playing game, etc.)

Register