Author Topic: Com Guards deploy fighters in threes? 13 flights of 3  (Read 1779 times)

Precentor Scorpio

• Warrant Officer
Com Guards deploy fighters in threes? 13 flights of 3
« on: 05 January 2018, 07:06:58 »
I just read a post where the Star League originally deployed their fighters in threes instead of twos.

Maybe that justifies the 39 fighters. 

Thanks to Iron Grenadier and Beachhead1985 for their comments in the in the SLDF Independent Rgt TO&E and the SLDF Dragoon Regiments posts from 2014.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
Re: Com Guards deploy fighters in threes? 13 flights of 3
« Reply #1 on: 10 January 2018, 01:14:42 »
Where is that from.

They have always been fluffed as deploying at least a pair & not in singles but nothing I've seen in cannon has them using triples like the CCAF.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Precentor Scorpio

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 10 January 2018, 09:15:19 »
There probably isn't anything.  This might be from Bryan Nystul's time.  The original development/concept notes used to help differentiate the planned revealing of the Com Guards as a new military organization and there was no attempt to change it under the current leadership.
I just grabbed the information from the SLDF Dragoon Regiments post from 2014 so I thought this is the easiest reason to have the Com Guards deployed with 39 fighters in a division. The Com Guards could have easily moved to the traditional 2 fighter deployment scheme, etc by now.  (I will have 3 recon and six Level II's of fighters to justify my 39 fighters.)
Maybe the deployment schemed was mentioned at a convention at one of the battletech question and answer sessions. 
For example, at a GenCon in Milwaukee the battletech staff mentioned that the Omni-mechs were created more by accident then original design.  (The video-game would run better with 16 designs vs 64 different mechs per se', so they created 16 mechs with the variants/configurations.)   So, the deployment of Omni-mechs was not cheap fiction of simplifying logistics for the invaders but rather helping the video game. 
But this post was also an attempt for someone else to comment yes or no to this scheme.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #3 on: 10 January 2018, 10:58:15 »
Where is that from.

They have always been fluffed as deploying at least a pair & not in singles but nothing I've seen in cannon has them using triples like the CCAF.

FM Comstar pg 9 says all divisions are assigned 39 aerospace fighters, per the table. YMMV for how your headcannon arranges those units when deployed.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 16 January 2018, 12:17:22 »
FM Comstar pg 9 says all divisions have an approximate of 39 aerospace fighters. I always read this as an average.
If you look close if one division have 6 Level II of ASF and the other one have 7 Level II, you end up with approximately 39 per division.

Page 9 also says that ComStar ALWAYS deploys fighters in pairs. So a regular number of 39 ASF in a division isn't possible.

Precentor Scorpio

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 16 January 2018, 18:54:09 »
My issue ultimately revolves around the number of fighters is 39.  I agree that the word approximate appears and the fighters are deployed in pairs but the number of 39 fighters never varies.  So in my opinion the aerospace deployment must be standard.  With exception of combat losses, the variations must occur in the ground units.
So I am trying to justify 39 fighters. Yes the average could work and it could be correct.  To make the Com Guards different the original notes might have the fighters deployed in threes.  Personally the fighters shouldn't be included in the 216 units in a division. 
(Arranging my division with four combat battalions and two off-board support battalions works for me as I like having three level ii take on a binary or trinary of clans and it gives me my artillery and aerospace assets)

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 17 January 2018, 12:31:37 »
I can absolutely live with an average of 6.5 LevelII per division. Means they have either 6 or 7 Level II of fighters.
A hard number of 39 in one division doesn't make sense under any circumstances and contradicts with every other source.

If you look at the mech, armor or Infantry their values doesn't go to complete Level II as well. While that supports their combined forces, the total number of level IIs for other assets than ASF counts to 29,5. If you plan to organize your 39 ASF in an extended separate Level II, you leave the rest of the division with one half Level II.

One more - if you look at page 8 under composition, you find the point that the following table gives us a rough guide. Not fix numbers. While ASF are mentioned explicitely as "more or less constant". More or less constant sound for me much more like something around 6 or 7 Level II than exactly 39 in every division.