Author Topic: Franklin Osis - Founder of Clan Smoke Jaguar  (Read 2418 times)

Sigil

• Lieutenant
Franklin Osis - Founder of Clan Smoke Jaguar
« on: 16 February 2018, 15:55:33 »
Nicholas Kerensky announced the formation of the Clans on June 11th, 2807 (Operation Klondike).

Franklin Osis wouldn't begin training as a warrior until the summer of 2809 (Invading Clans).  How could he have been the first Khan of Clan Smoke Jaguar?

Hmm....

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
Re: Franklin Osis - Founder of Clan Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #1 on: 16 February 2018, 16:19:32 »
From what I can glean, the clans didn't have Khans initially. They were eventually elected by the clan members.
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #2 on: 16 February 2018, 18:23:18 »

sounds like a question for "Ask the Writers"

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 16 February 2018, 19:26:53 »
"When Nicholas staged his Second Exodus[,] the Osis brothers, now free of the camp, joined him and the nascent Clans. Simon was killed by a smoke jaguar while the brothers were on a hunting expedition and his brother’s death spurred Franklin to new heights, earning him command of Clan Smoke Jaguar and a key role in Operation KLONDIKE."
From Franklin Osis profile on HOK. He'd be 29 the year the Clans were formed.
It is not entirely clear what kind of career he had before this, but it is possible he had received MechWarrior training beforehand at some point, his parents were tank commanders so it is plausible he got into Exodus fleet military. I'd assume they would have been training new people even en-route and afterwards, despite large demobilization initiated by Kerensky. A military culture knows that passing skills on to next generation of soldiers is important.

It is also possible that Franklin Osis began his career as infantry, and received 'MechWarrior training later. While BattleMechs were the most valued thing by Nicholas Kerensky, there were warriors in the Clans and Khans who weren't MechWarriors. Considering that the profile notes his brother's death "spurring him to new heights", it is possible he trained as MechWarrior at that point, and trained quickly and effectively. Such thing would certainly impress Nicky.

Side note:
Interestingly and weirdly, there are two Osis bloodnames in Smoke Jaguars, with Franklin's being a MechWarrior name and the other being an Elemental name, possibly. Considering Franklin Osis past as a gangster and occasional hunter, him being infantry and progenitor of the Elemental line would've made sense but this is perhaps a coincidence.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #4 on: 16 February 2018, 19:49:48 »
Side note:
Interestingly and weirdly, there are two Osis bloodnames in Smoke Jaguars, with Franklin's being a MechWarrior name and the other being an Elemental name, possibly. Considering Franklin Osis past as a gangster and occasional hunter, him being infantry and progenitor of the Elemental line would've made sense but this is perhaps a coincidence.

Derived from Franklin's cousin Terissa/Terrisa.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #5 on: 17 February 2018, 00:24:34 »
From what I can glean, the clans didn't have Khans initially. They were eventually elected by the clan members.

Ditto, but also possibly recommended by Nick himself, at least I think I recall that somewhere.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 17 February 2018, 00:38:45 »
Per HOK, Nicky handpicked the Khans.
Pg. 28: "While Nicholas Kerensky assigned a Khan and saKhan—a commander and deputy commander—to each Clan, the warriors of those Clans had one more grueling set of trials to endure."

EDIT Note that this includes only initial leaders. Don't recall right now what happened to fallen commanders, who picked the successors.

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #7 on: 23 February 2018, 15:08:08 »

sounds like a question for "Ask the Writers"

It adds to the confusion...  I meant flavor.

SulliMike23

• Lieutenant
  • The Brotherhood will expand in the Inner Sphere!
« Reply #8 on: 06 April 2018, 13:42:25 »
It's ironic that Franklin Osis started out as a pacifist.

Register