Author Topic: Free RPG Day  (Read 2816 times)

E. Icaza

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
Free RPG Day
« on: 15 June 2013, 20:57:55 »
I just wanted to comment on how fun the Free RPG Day adventure for AToW was to run and (apparently) play!  The group at my table had a blast!

There was the requisite amount of betrayal also when one of the PCs decided to run and take his chance at getting one of the enemy merc's 'Mechs, leaving another PC to be caught in an SMG crossfire and killed!  When called on it, he said his character just shrugged said, "Hey, free 'Mech."
The Clans: the Star League the Inner Sphere deserves, not the one it needs.

E. Icaza

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
Re: Free RPG Day
« Reply #1 on: 15 June 2013, 22:48:14 »
Just remembered that I did have one question...

The adventure takes place in 3091 "near Paradise" in the FWL and the players are supposed to meet their contact on "Paradise", but wasn't that planet nuked by the Regulans during the Jihad aftermath according to FM: 3085?

I embellished and when my players became curious as to what was in the box, told them that whatever it was was radioactive, hence the heavy box.  They decided not to open it, but if they had I was going to say that the datachip inside had manufacturing specs for the Wraith, Eagle and Yeoman  and had been secured from the radioactive ruins of Curtiss Militech.   

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 16 June 2013, 18:07:07 »
I just wanted to comment on how fun the Free RPG Day adventure for AToW was to run and (apparently) play!  The group at my table had a blast!

Glad you all had fun!

There was the requisite amount of betrayal also when one of the PCs decided to run and take his chance at getting one of the enemy merc's 'Mechs, leaving another PC to be caught in an SMG crossfire and killed!  When called on it, he said his character just shrugged said, "Hey, free 'Mech."

Hah! Awesome!
Cool moments in mine included when 2 players decided to get in a mock fight where Milton, the leader of the band would end up getting beat up, thus garnering sympathy from the cardplaying off-duty shift of "spec-ops".
Unfortunately the player running Katon decided Katon didn't like her leader that much, and put some serious hurt on...
Another player decided to seduce one of the MechWarriors (in no small part due to the amount of discomfort it would give me), and the plot to try to hire on the spec-ops and steal all 4 'Mechs was carefully abandoned.
Oh, and the seductress managed to get half her face blown off by a claymore I'd parked in the Locust; cockpit from an especially paranoid MW.

We also played out the chase swiftly on hex maps, which had a particularly amusing moment when a hostile Cicada slipped, and skidded right next to the Union that was picking them up. Thereby creating a situation where the DropShip's gunners could benefit from the -2 to-hit bonus of a target that's prone and adjacent...!
Also meant it couldn't shut down in surrender since the take-off exhaust blast would've vaporized it...

The adventure takes place in 3091 "near Paradise" in the FWL and the players are supposed to meet their contact on "Paradise", but wasn't that planet nuked by the Regulans during the Jihad aftermath according to FM: 3085?

Yeah, that's a goof of mine. Good eye. >.<

I embellished and when my players became curious as to what was in the box, told them that whatever it was was radioactive, hence the heavy box.  They decided not to open it, but if they had I was going to say that the datachip inside had manufacturing specs for the Wraith, Eagle and Yeoman  and had been secured from the radioactive ruins of Curtiss Militech.

Actually, a suggestion of what's in it should've made it to print.
"It contains a datachip that the mercenaries were tasked to extract, and that the players have been paid to steal before it’s delivered on Paradise."

That was made to be vague to give GMs a starting point, sounds like your idea was even cooler than mine, good job! That's nearly perfect in my mind; I could've nailed down even more what it was, but that'd also have reduced the odds of a GM coming up with something better than what I had in mind.

Players at the table presumed it glowed with a yellow hue, and belonged to someone named "Marsellus".

Paul
The solution is just ignore Paul.

E. Icaza

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 16 June 2013, 19:40:16 »
Yeah, I saw that it was a datachip.  My players were interested in discovering what it was so they could see if they could get more money either from Uther or someone else, so I just made up what was on it.  Ultimately, once they learned that it was mildly radioactive, they decided to leave it alone.  All in all, my players were a pretty vicious and vindictive bunch.  One of them managed to get himself hired on by the DropShip crew as an astech and befriended the spec ops guys...only to ambush and shoot them in the back when the op went down.  :) 

And the only reason that I remembered that Paradise was nuked was that it was where the Wraith is/was made and that's one of my favorite 'Mechs. 

fltadm

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 17 June 2013, 16:41:39 »
I picked up a copy at my FLGS. Got to my buddies house and half way through it. Then the writing went all upside down an backwords. You are going to have to talk to your printer guys about that.  ;)
No Matter where you go,there you are

,,,,gotta lov "Space Cougers"

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 17 June 2013, 17:13:15 »
All copies of it were gone by the time I got to the store, so I missed that...

E. Icaza

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 17 June 2013, 17:16:14 »
I'm guessing that he meant the Shadowrun adventure included on the flip-side.  My FLGS displayed them with the Shadowrun side up, so when I got there several people assumed I was running Shadowrun.  :P

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 17 June 2013, 17:18:50 »
I never even saw the PDF proofs, I just printed out copies of my original doc to run... =)

fltadm

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 18 June 2013, 02:01:16 »
Just Messing with your head.  O0
No Matter where you go,there you are

,,,,gotta lov "Space Cougers"

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 18 June 2013, 02:20:03 »
Not to sound amazingly stupid - but what is this? Was a free RPG scenario put out? Is it still available, etc?
Pardon my ignorance!

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Coldwyn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 18 June 2013, 02:33:22 »
Not to sound amazingly stupid - but what is this? Was a free RPG scenario put out? Is it still available, etc?
Pardon my ignorance!

For some years now, there´s a "Free RPG day" being organized by gaming companies and brick and mortar shops. The participating companies create a short adventure, mostly with added quick start rules and volunteers or demo team members then run one or two "slots" in the participating stores.
Mostly, it´ll take up to a month to have a downloadable version of the adventure. Take a look in the download section to find last years Free RPG day adventure.
it´s not necessarily that i´m immoral of character, i just don´t take great stock in the morality of others, that´s all

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 18 June 2013, 02:52:53 »
For some years now, there´s a "Free RPG day" being organized by gaming companies and brick and mortar shops. The participating companies create a short adventure, mostly with added quick start rules and volunteers or demo team members then run one or two "slots" in the participating stores.
Mostly, it´ll take up to a month to have a downloadable version of the adventure. Take a look in the download section to find last years Free RPG day adventure.

That's fantastic!

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Maverick

• Private
« Reply #12 on: 23 June 2013, 18:06:26 »
Is this from the front page not what was issued for Free RPG Day?  It contains links to the file on both DriveThruRPG and BattleCorps.com.  It's also certainly different from last year's Free RPG Day module.

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 23 June 2013, 20:26:03 »
That ought to be it.

Maverick

• Private
« Reply #14 on: 23 June 2013, 23:42:47 »
That was my thinking as well, Paul.  So you guys CAN get this year's Free RPG Day module, free from either DriveThruRPG or BattleCorps. :)

Register