Author Topic: Monbvol's AToW sheet and other related projects  (Read 38712 times)

Kalten

• Recruit
Re: Monbvol's AToW sheet and other related projects
« Reply #90 on: 13 July 2012, 18:36:21 »
Ta for thje list Mon, found some of the questions very amusing! :)
Anyone for a Monkey?

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #91 on: 14 July 2012, 13:38:18 »
You are welcome.

I may rework them a bit to allow a bit more universal use for fantasy/other settings where some of the questions are just not going to come up.  Not much mind you since most of them should work no matter the RPG and no matter the setting.  If I remember when I get back to my regular computer I'll duplicate the list in the first post of this thread for ease of access.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #92 on: 15 July 2012, 11:44:57 »
Good news everybody!

I've changed up the questions I wanted to to give them a more universal use and while I was at it I made a few corrections to the more glaring errors(probably need to actually do a ton more such corrections but it'll do for now) and hopefully made a couple questions a bit more clear.  I've updated the attachment a couple posts above but for easier access I've also put it on the first page of this thread.  Have at all.

Galenthor

« Reply #93 on: 17 July 2012, 18:26:35 »
hey o folks... I just dloaded the spreadsheet, and it won't let me do anything but change from human to like mechwarrior... other than that, it's locked into read only mode... I have been using a recently updated open office, but not that oddball apache thing they are touting lately... any ideas?

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #94 on: 17 July 2012, 19:37:44 »
No problems for me.

I haven't even updated that sheet since Apache took over Open Office from Oracle so it is a bit older so it shouldn't be a problem there.

So tech support mode time.

On the mediafire page when it finally loaded did you right click the green box that said AToW3.xls(9.9mb) and on the menu that popped up select "save target as"?
« Last Edit: 17 July 2012, 19:45:24 by monbvol »

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #95 on: 25 July 2012, 16:38:20 »
I did find a fairly substantial error that only impacted characters with Tech Empathy.  It has been fixed and link to correct version is now in the first post of the thread.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #96 on: 03 October 2012, 13:45:20 »
Development is at a stand still since mediafire seems to hate me anymore and I really am at a point of only if data entry errors are found could I even really do anything anyway.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #97 on: 05 October 2012, 10:29:48 »
A new utility for vanilla AToW is now added to the first post.  A table that shows the final XP cost for skills with all the different combinations of traits that change the XP cost of skills.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #98 on: 05 October 2012, 16:27:49 »
Hmm, interesting. I don't think I realized just how many combos there were.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #99 on: 05 October 2012, 17:58:36 »
It is pretty sneaky and a big reason why as I use the system more and more I become less and less of a fan of XP conversion effects like these.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #100 on: 05 January 2013, 17:47:12 »
Shameless bump on my part I know but I figure with some renewed interest in character creation aides cropping up again I may as well get this back on the first page.

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #101 on: 22 January 2013, 22:50:25 »
tag
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #102 on: 22 January 2013, 23:41:55 »
Well don't expect much more development at this point.  At best I'll fix data entry errors I find but that will be about it.

The problem i I've realized even though I probably could fix some of the outstanding incompleteness of the sheet it would be easier(possibly mandatory for some items) to start from scratch to implement those features and egads I remember how much of a sanity sucking experience that was the first time around.  As such it is pretty much a non-starter for the foreseeable future.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #103 on: 01 March 2013, 14:45:41 »
Just a shameless bump on my part to keep this on the first page because it does offer a few useful things to people.

bblaney

• Lieutenant
« Reply #104 on: 01 March 2013, 16:15:27 »
Yes it does, a great help imo, ty again, AToW is a pain to make characters when new at it and your spreadsheet helps immensely/
Quote from: Nanaki
Realism is not going to cut it, Battletech is not a realistic universe by any stretch of the imagination, so please stop using it in an argument.

Quote from: HABeas2
That's debatable, but let's face it; some folks gave them a pass because they were big and claimed to be Scottish.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #105 on: 01 March 2013, 16:52:02 »
Yes, the sheet definitely remains a go-to tool. My group at the moment is experimenting with Pathfinder right now (and we've never done d20 before). We'll probably come back to this at some point.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #106 on: 06 March 2013, 23:43:02 »
Belated appreciation for your appreciation!

While I was at it I added a small item of clarification to the first post since the second asks about MS Office compatibility.

At least last time I had access to MS Office the sheet worked in MS Office.

Negaman1971

« Reply #107 on: 16 March 2013, 15:20:48 »
Hi! I just wanted to say a big thank you for this, it looks to be awesome and will help me a lot! I am having some confusion with it though and was hoping for your input: when I open it with Excel 2003, I can't seem to get the Fields drop down to show anything. The character I was working on had selected military academy and I was trying to select basic training but I don't see anything. Is there something I'm missing? Should I try open office instead?

Thanks for your time!

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #108 on: 16 March 2013, 22:43:44 »
The list is quite large and I padded extra fields into it.  Due to this it may be neccessary to scroll the Dropdown box up to find the field you desire.

Negaman1971

« Reply #109 on: 16 March 2013, 23:45:17 »
*smacks forehead*
 :D
Wow, thanks for that tip, it is indeed as you said. I found the same when when I tried picking my 3rd life module as well. You are awesome sir, and I salute you! O0

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #110 on: 17 March 2013, 00:27:05 »
Yeah I tried to plan ahead in case I needed extra entry space without screwing up my tables.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #111 on: 23 May 2013, 13:34:15 »
Just a shameless bump on my part to get this back on the first page.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #112 on: 10 July 2013, 15:36:36 »
Just another shameless bump to keep it from going to page 2 while I'm thinking about it.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #113 on: 10 July 2013, 16:28:45 »
While the sheet's good, I'm going to ask you as a moderator not to do bump posts. They don't contribute to the topic. If there's something new to add, that's different.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #114 on: 10 July 2013, 16:41:47 »
Fair enough.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #115 on: 14 August 2013, 14:00:45 »
Special thanks should go to hive_angel for letting me know my affiliation XP deductions were not working correctly.

Also seems I went and forgot to upload some other updates I made in late January that I can't remember the details of anymore.  So bonus update.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #116 on: 11 September 2013, 23:37:16 »
Just a heads up post from me real quick.

I realized there is a possible feature improvement I may potentially be able to make to my sheet.  It deals exclusively with point buy support.  I have figured out how to handle using the drop downs so you can add the touches of having Affiliation information display for the character without it assigning the module XP.  The only catch is how to handle the phenotype adjustments.  If I can figure out how to handle that I'll incorporate this point buy support option.  When that will get implemented depends on how my efforts to end my two years of unemployment go tomorrow.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #117 on: 14 September 2013, 15:31:50 »
Well turns out I have the support setup correctly for point buy phenotype adjustments so I just had to sneak in a couple nested if statements so that you can do a point buy character and still have my sheet show affiliation information.

Just leave the modules blank and go to town.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #118 on: 16 September 2013, 00:36:29 »
Okay found some small other errors and corrected them.

Should hopefully work a bit better now for supporting both point buy and module build.

PurpleDragon

• Captain
« Reply #119 on: 02 October 2013, 14:29:15 »
lurking to get any further fixes/updates/enhancements/...
give a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. 
Set him on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

The secret to winning the land/air battle is that you must always remain rigidly flexible.

I like tabletop more anyway, computer games are for nerds!  -  Knallogfall

Register