Author Topic: More of the old, less of the new  (Read 22790 times)

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
Re: More of the old, less of the new
« Reply #120 on: 04 July 2013, 01:17:32 »
Short answer, "not a lot".

Masters need to go through the mould-making process, which involves a long time at high temperatures and high pressures. The masters are usually made of cured resin (aka "green stuff") and metal, in order to resist the pressure. You could rescribe a panel line, maybe, but not reposition a gunbarrel or resculpt a shoulder - you'd have to cut out the offending part & hope the addition survived the "squeeze" without moving/separating, etc.

The "squeeze" also often causes the master to shrink, resulting in small decreases in size. But I get the impression this isn't consistent - some minis only shrink in one dimension, or not at all (which may explain some of the size issues). Verily, sculpting is an art, not a science, and these sorts of problems can happen to CAD creations too.

I wonder why they can't look at the sculpt BEFORE it's gone through that process then?   ???  I realize some details will go away due to "the squeeze" (sounds like a WWF move to me!), but there's some larger details that wouldn't be affected by this. They could see any details that were left out BEFORE going through the "Master" process, and correct them beforehand.  They've made SEVERAL minis that showed an Amazing amount of detail, then a few others that were missing details from the TRO art that are Glaringly obvious.  :-\  I'm guessing it's a combination of factors, from the sculptor to the amount of Quality Control involved.  But then, if some sculptors can consistently pull off a "Mona Lisa", why don't they try holding ALL the sculptors to the same High Standards?   ???  Granted, as with ANY artform, not everyone will be as highly skilled as the others.  Sure, I can PAINT, but I'm never setting anything I'd paint on a table beside anything from Dave Fanjoy or Ogre, for instance.   :D

It's just aggravating when some minis look Dead On to the artwork, then others fall short, sometimes by a WIDE margin.  :-\
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

Akalabeth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #121 on: 04 July 2013, 05:22:26 »
I've NO idea if the T IIC had ANY revisions, or if the first version was approved from the start.  All I know is I paid $800.00 to get a mini made from an EXCELLENT source of art, and I'm Most Definitely NOT Happy with what was produced.  I was never once consulted on it either.  I can see them not consulting a group of 4 or more people that have Fan-Funded a mini, but only one person?  ???

I can understand why you would be disappointed but you took a chance and it didn't work out.
It's like kickstarter or any other crowd-funded project, everyone who puts money in takes the risk that they wont be satisfied. Or that the project wont be even finished. To front the cost entirely by yourself is a hell of a gamble, which is not to say it's stupid, just not something I would be inclined to do. If I was going to put down that sort of money to create a miniature, the miniature would be my own, that I would be selling, not someone else's. That would at least give me the chance to break even if not make a profit.

As for being consulted, well that depends upon the conditions of the fan funding program. If there's no precedence for consulting people who funded it, then why would an individual be consulted? You would need to make your pledge conditional, as in, you fund the project on the condition that you have some say in the approval of the artwork. Something to consider should you decide to fund more fan projects in future.

GunjiNoKanrei

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • tired ... very tired ...
    • darklined.com
« Reply #122 on: 04 July 2013, 05:37:15 »
Poorly worded on my part, but we're in agreement.
Or the ignorance of a 'foreign speaker' on my part. But yes, we are actually in agreement  :o

I'm just guessing here, but consider: the sculptors are not, I believe, employees of IWM. They're independant contractors, who have a rare skillset that can't easily be reproduced.

You are correct. The sculptors are freelancers and not employees of IWM. This is actually the norm. Not counting GW (who actually employ their sculptors) or small companies owned by sculptors (Hasslefree for example) almost everyone contracts freelancers. Privateer Press, Reaper, Wyrd, ... often you have sculptors doing work for many companies.
I assume usually a sculpt is not done on an per hour basis, but at a fixed price (only guesswork on my part).

Since I'm not a sculptor (even in my younger days of playing with Play-Doh!), I know NOTHING about the "Sculpting Process", including the materials they use.  However, if the material is reusable/re-shapeable, can't they simply "touch up" any small detail that needs to be redone, without having to start all over from scratch?   ???  I'm sure this is an issue to some extent with the 3-D printing minis that are being done (the WOB LAMs for examples), simply because that while something looks good on the computer, that doesn't mean the same amount of detail will print out right.   :-\
It really depends on the material used. Most sculptor use epoxy putty like Green Stuff or ProCreate. With those putties you have two components you mix together before using the putty. Once mixed the putty starts to cure. While hardening the characteristics of the putty changes, usually from soft and sticky to, well, hard and not sticky. Some things you do before the putty is hardened (general shape), other you do after the putty is hardened (carving, filing, ... to get sharp details or panel lines). Also when working with such putties sculpting is usually done in layers. Sculpt the rough shape, let cure, add some more putty to sculpt some detail, let cure, ...
Other sculptors work with putties like FIMO which only cure when baked. Others prefer to use plasticard a lot. Some "sculpt" more, others "carve and file" more. Lots of different methods out there and every sculptor has their way of doing things (just like painters).

Now a revision doesn't necessarily mean start from scratch again. Adding some extra bulk or some other detail means adding more putty, maybe some filing before that. Changing proportions is more complicated and might involve sculpting new legs or arms.

Sculpts are looked at before the mold is done. Revisions are done before the mold is done. Once a sculpt is molded (goes through the "Master" process) it is final.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #123 on: 04 July 2013, 06:52:12 »
This is exactly why I used the example that YOU provided. The Xanthos, you say, has ugly art, but the mini resulting from it is actually quite good. A different example. The Blood Reaper, great piece of art. The mini? Brutal. Is that the fault of the artist or the sculptor? The artist provides a visual for the for the sculptor to work from, so if the resulting sculpt is no good then it is the fault of the sculptor. How can I fault the artist?

The Xanthos is probably not a good example to use for this since the mini appears to be based upon the art and the Dark Age mini. Things that weren't visible from the art are very similar to the WizKids mini.

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #124 on: 04 July 2013, 06:58:23 »
Your first post was a self-described "rant" and you say you haven't complained?

Yes.
"Warriors, not war machines, are the backbone of the Hell's Horses. While others worship the BattleMech as the ultimate weapon, the men and women of this Clan see even this awesome piece of technology as the tool it is. We have held to this philosophy since the days of our first Khan, who knew that the value of the common soldier far outstripped the brute force of the BattleMech. It is one reason our Clan possesses fewer mechs than most, and has led many to underestimate our fierceness and courage. Our survival against all challengers when others have fallen proves the folly of such arrogance, and testifies to the wisdom of our founders."
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel
Star Captain Logan Cobb-666th Assault War Cluster, Star Commander Octavian-The Thunder Heart Cluster

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #125 on: 04 July 2013, 07:44:39 »
I can understand why you would be disappointed but you took a chance and it didn't work out.
It's like kickstarter or any other crowd-funded project, everyone who puts money in takes the risk that they wont be satisfied. Or that the project wont be even finished. To front the cost entirely by yourself is a hell of a gamble, which is not to say it's stupid, just not something I would be inclined to do. If I was going to put down that sort of money to create a miniature, the miniature would be my own, that I would be selling, not someone else's. That would at least give me the chance to break even if not make a profit.

As for being consulted, well that depends upon the conditions of the fan funding program. If there's no precedence for consulting people who funded it, then why would an individual be consulted? You would need to make your pledge conditional, as in, you fund the project on the condition that you have some say in the approval of the artwork. Something to consider should you decide to fund more fan projects in future.

While the thought of not selling "My" mini to someone that has cheesed me off has a certain amount of appeal, I hadn't thought of it that way.   >:D   ;D  I've LOVED the T-Bolt since I started playing in '86, and I LOVE the artwork by Dave White for the Thunderbolt IIC.  Since it wasn't anywhere on the "To Be Done" schedule (according to Sawbones), I thought it was the perfect Opportunity for me to not only get a sculpt made of a variant of my Favorite 'mech, but to also provide something to the Entire BT Community that we might not otherwise see for a few more years.  I didn't see it as "A Gamble" at the time, but I still came out the loser.  :-\  Due to that "Burn", I'll NEVER Fan Fund another sculpt, Period.   :P  I'll NEVER contribute to any either.  Yes I had my $800.00 in IWM Store Credit, and I used some of it to get 4 of the T IIC.  That still doesn't soothe the burn I got from the finished product.

@GunjiNoKanrei - Thanks for the info on the Sculptors and sculpting process.   O0  I'll probably forget about it in a week, but it's still Cool to know about.   :D
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

Fullback

• Corporal
« Reply #126 on: 04 July 2013, 08:19:51 »
Short answer, "not a lot".

Masters need to go through the mould-making process, which involves a long time at high temperatures and high pressures. The masters are usually made of cured resin (aka "green stuff") and metal, in order to resist the pressure. You could rescribe a panel line, maybe, but not reposition a gunbarrel or resculpt a shoulder - you'd have to cut out the offending part & hope the addition survived the "squeeze" without moving/separating, etc.

The "squeeze" also often causes the master to shrink, resulting in small decreases in size. But I get the impression this isn't consistent - some minis only shrink in one dimension, or not at all (which may explain some of the size issues). Verily, sculpting is an art, not a science, and these sorts of problems can happen to CAD creations too.

Sorry, but that is not the "normal" procedure for mold making.   
It almost doesn´t matter what the master is made from. 
From this master a master-mold is made with 2 part silikon rubber (no heat, no pressure).
In a small scale series from this mold  the production-masters are made. (metal)

And then a production-mold is made with organic silikon  under  high temperature and pressure.
A production mold produces several minis of the same miniature/part  in one run.

I don´t think every miniature is casted individually. At least i hope IWM doesn´t do it,
or really make molds the way you described it.

Another solution to the issue is to standardise all the weapons,
cast them as single parts, and make the miniatures as customizable as possible.
Take it the way the 3050 omnis and the celestials allready went.
« Last Edit: 04 July 2013, 08:25:46 by Fullback »

ShockaTime

• Captain
« Reply #127 on: 04 July 2013, 08:45:34 »
Sculptors are artists.
There are two factors in addition to IWM's own capability to produce miniatures that people want.

An artist (in this case, an illustrator) draws a mech.

or

An artist (in this case, a sculptor) sculpts a mech.

If either of those points of the production result in a poor product which the customer does not want, then the fault lies with the artist or artists, not with IWM. As the "client", IWM could of course call for revisions to the artwork (just as Catalyst could for the TRO artwork), but how many revisions are possible in the time available and permitted by the medium are up for debate. One would think a hand-sculpted miniature that is "too big" would be too costly to re-sculpt for example.  Can you pay the artist twice? Can you ask the artist to do twice the amount of work for the same pay?

Point is when people levy complaints about IWM's miniatures, and those quality concerns are either drawn from the original Illustrator's artwork, or from the Sculptor's artwork, then in both cases the complaint is not about the company that produces miniatures but rather the individuals who create them. Improvement then can be facilitated by changing the artists, or the artists themselves improving.

Assign blame where its due and in the appropriate measure.

You're honestly going to have to walk me through this again. This whole discussion is on the quality of the sculpts being put out IWM and their sculptors. Good sculpts can be made from bad art (like I emphasized earlier). Conversely bad sculpts can be made from good art. Either way it is the sculptor that is translating the illustration into a mini. You say I should assign blame where it's due and in appropriate measure. Addressing GRUD's grievance over the Thunderbolt IIC, what "due blame" can I assign David White (who provided a fantastic illustration) for the poor sculpt that resulted from it? Likewise, I assign blame to IWM because the sculptors as far as I understand, provide work for IWM and it's IWM that is putting their work out. If a bad sculpt is being released by IWM how can blame not also rest with them? Somewhere along the line there is an affirmation on the part of IWM to produce a bad sculpt (provided by their sculptors whomever they may be for any given bad sculpt), so to me it seems like the blame rests with the sculptor (who provided a bad sculpt) and IWM (who gave the go-ahead for the production of that bad sculpt). If I'm missing something please help me out.
« Last Edit: 04 July 2013, 08:54:44 by ShockaTime »

Spirit Never Dies - Second Spirit Chasseurs - Clan Blood Spirit
Raven Alliance

Akalabeth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #128 on: 04 July 2013, 14:13:28 »
While the thought of not selling "My" mini to someone that has cheesed me off has a certain amount of appeal, I hadn't thought of it that way.   >:D   ;D  I've LOVED the T-Bolt since I started playing in '86, and I LOVE the artwork by Dave White for the Thunderbolt IIC.  Since it wasn't anywhere on the "To Be Done" schedule (according to Sawbones), I thought it was the perfect Opportunity for me to not only get a sculpt made of a variant of my Favorite 'mech, but to also provide something to the Entire BT Community that we might not otherwise see for a few more years.  I didn't see it as "A Gamble" at the time, but I still came out the loser.  :-\  Due to that "Burn", I'll NEVER Fan Fund another sculpt, Period.   :P  I'll NEVER contribute to any either.  Yes I had my $800.00 in IWM Store Credit, and I used some of it to get 4 of the T IIC.  That still doesn't soothe the burn I got from the finished product.

Well if you got 800 dollars worth of credit then that wasn't a total loss at all.
I put ~500 dollars into the Robotech kickstarter and there's no guarantee I'll get anything from it let alone credit.

While the miniature doesn't meet your expectations, it is still available for the whole community to purchase and use should they wish, and if the demand is strong enough there's always a possibility it will be resculpted.

You're honestly going to have to walk me through this again. This whole discussion is on the quality of the sculpts being put out IWM and their sculptors. Good sculpts can be made from bad art (like I emphasized earlier). Conversely bad sculpts can be made from good art.

That depends upon how you define quality. Is it only "this mini looks terrible" or does it also include "this mini is too large?". People have complaints about the Hector but the miniature itself looks great. But as I said, I would suggest that complaints regarding scale are the fault of catalyst more than IWM because they never provide any indication of scale for anyone to follow.

Either way it is the sculptor that is translating the illustration into a mini. You say I should assign blame where it's due and in appropriate measure. Addressing GRUD's grievance over the Thunderbolt IIC, what "due blame" can I assign David White (who provided a fantastic illustration) for the poor sculpt that resulted from it? Likewise, I assign blame to IWM because the sculptors as far as I understand, provide work for IWM and it's IWM that is putting their work out. If a bad sculpt is being released by IWM how can blame not also rest with them? Somewhere along the line there is an affirmation on the part of IWM to produce a bad sculpt (provided by their sculptors whomever they may be for any given bad sculpt), so to me it seems like the blame rests with the sculptor (who provided a bad sculpt) and IWM (who gave the go-ahead for the production of that bad sculpt). If I'm missing something please help me out.

Well from what other people are saying, IWM likely cannot afford to ask for too many alterations. So at some point they will come to a time where they have to say "this is what we have, go ahead with it". If they sculpted the Thunderbolt IIC, and the initial sculpt was poor and they needed it redone would people be okay with them asking for another 400 dollars of fan financing? Because if an artist(sculptor) spends say 20 hours doing a sculpt, is he going to be okay with spending another 20 hours of unpaid time to sculpt it again when he's got kids to feed or bills to pay? Probably not.

A lot of it depends on the process as well. How much oversight is given? Does the sculptor send IWM regular progress shots, so they can help steer them towards the finished product? Is the sculptor new and inexperienced or was it just not their best work? Does the drawing itself translate well to miniature forum? I would suggest for example that those shoulder cowls would not necessarily translate the best. But the miniature's biggest problem looks like the torso. Some details from my understanding don't work well in miniature forum.

Remember that when they pour a mould, they have to pull it apart at the end so when you have recesses in the torso and recesses in the arms as well that might cause problems. An alternative might be making the torso two pieces but if they shrink at different rates you'll get huge mould lines on the thing (a lot of starship miniatures have this problem).

And when I say it might cause problems, think about having two blocks in your hands with a recess in the middle. If the space in the middle is a cube and you fill it with whatever, it's easy to pull it apart after it dries. There's nothing catching.

Now thing about that cube with cylindrical cavities on top and bottom. What does the block look like now? It's half a cube, with a raised cylinder in the middle. Still easy to pull apart right? Now what if that cube has cavities on top and bottom but ALSO on the sides. Now if the cavities were only on the sides, you could simply turn it 90' so that becomes "top and bottom". But you can't because that detail is already there. So now you have a block, with half a cube, a raised cylinder on the top AND along the surface where the two blocks meet you have say half a raised cylinder on either side. When the two blocks are put together those two half cylinders become one cylinder. (so cylinders push in from top and bottom and from say two sides).

Now how do you pull it apart? You essentially have a cube where teeth are biting into the sides. Now from what I understand the moulds do have some give, but in general you can't do this sort of thing too much. The more you do, the less time that mould is going to last. It will have more wear and tear.

So when I look at that Thunderbolt and see recesses in the front torso via the overlapping top armour and details AND shoulder sockets to me it looks like it could be problematic. Mind you I'm not a miniature maker so I say this with what understanding I have of the process from talking to people who do make miniatures (and evaluating the idea of making my own).

But to put it short, how would I assign blame?

5-10% the original artwork (though not necessarily the artist) because from what I understand it wont necessarily translate well

50-60% the sculptor because despite those short comings in the art, the final product could still look a better (like the Society mechs for example).

30-40% IWM for possibly not giving enough direction or feedback to the artist (sculptor) during the sculpting process. Or for other potential factors (sculptors probably have strengths and weaknesses in their art, maybe this job was ill-suited for the sculptor (but maybe they're great with tanks?) or maybe the sculptor was inexperienced and this was one of their first jobs, etcetera).

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #129 on: 04 July 2013, 16:56:44 »
Sorry, but that is not the "normal" procedure for mold making.   

Maybe in other instances, but that's my understanding of how IWM do it. This may be a consequence of the material they use to make their moulds, or the detail they're getting. I can see how pressure would help make sure all the ultra-fine details such as panel lines show up in the final material.

I also understand that the mould material makes a difference. Garage kits often use easier-to-work-with materials, but the moulds are weaker and tear up after prolonged use. IWM's disks are still being spun, as I understand it, hundreds of casts later. Given IWM is a small-industrial, not a garage or big-industrial, company, I can see they might use different methods from other companies.

Maybe someone closer to IWM can comment on which approach they use?
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #130 on: 05 July 2013, 00:03:31 »
Maybe in other instances, but that's my understanding of how IWM do it. This may be a consequence of the material they use to make their moulds, or the detail they're getting. I can see how pressure would help make sure all the ultra-fine details such as panel lines show up in the final material.

I also understand that the mould material makes a difference. Garage kits often use easier-to-work-with materials, but the moulds are weaker and tear up after prolonged use. IWM's disks are still being spun, as I understand it, hundreds of casts later. Given IWM is a small-industrial, not a garage or big-industrial, company, I can see they might use different methods from other companies.

Maybe someone closer to IWM can comment on which approach they use?

I haven't seen the IWM process. The Reaper process for metal figures is:

Green->master mold->metal masters->Production Mold->Product

As I understand it, there is some heat and pressure involved in making the master mold, which does place structural and compositional requirements on the "green" (i.e. Green Stuff sculpture)

So far as I know, most production molds for pewter figures are made from vulcanized rubber.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #131 on: 05 July 2013, 00:27:38 »
I understand the IWM process to be the same, although I acknowledge I'm not 100% sure.

I do believe you can't use plastic or wood in masters, for that reason, which means none of my kitbashes could be turned into minis that way  :'(
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #132 on: 06 July 2013, 12:35:15 »
I do believe you can't use plastic or wood in masters, for that reason, which means none of my kitbashes could be turned into minis that way  :'(
This is correct.  There are ways around the restrictions but they add time and cost to the equation.