Author Topic: The Sohei: O5P Warrior Monks  (Read 97526 times)

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: The Sohei: O5P Warrior Monks
« Reply #360 on: 23 February 2018, 19:47:53 »
As a rule of thumb, I always consider the majority of "Space America" planets to have been within the Terran Hegemony.  That being said, we have a very explicit example of a former "Space America" planet inside the Combine: Annapolis.  So Rockland could easily be another one.

That possibility aside, I prefer to think that there's a proximity bias worked into the BTU as the game creators are (almost all) American and it's mainly written for an American audience.  (Germans:  I said "mainly" ;) )  By default planets have names that sound familiar or easily evoke imagery to American tastes.  Only when a planet has a distinctly "ethnic" sound do we imagine some sort of otherness to the culture of the planet.  Wheras Rockland may well have been settled during the Age of War by North Americans, it's even more likely it was settled from anywhere else than North America specifically, because by then English has been standardized as the lingua franca of the Human race.  Well after the Exodus, Rockland could easily have been colonized by settlers from a planet besides Terra.  Surely there are loads of dissatisfied colonists around the Inner Sphere who found out their new home in the stars isn't as rosy as originally advertised...

Would it be a Kuritan penal colony:  At a population of over a billion, I'm thinking unlikely.  It's a fairly important planet. Then again that's how anglic Australia got started, so maybe it's got a similar history where it only originated as a rock-breaking camp.  Maybe it even still served as the home to prefectural/district gulags prior to REVIVAL.  Quite possible, but given the description that the quarries are small and distributed across vast areas, it sounds like a security nightmare to administer and ultimately I find it unlikely they're penal in nature.  Besides it was the Jaguars who ramped up the quarrying; for the Combine quarrying was probably a local industry only by the sounds of things.

Japanification:  I'm a big proponent of the point of view that the Handbook series are particularly heavy on the Unreliable Authorship factor.  Yeah the "party line" is that the Combine has one monolithic culture, but that's an in-universe impossibility.  And it's demonstrated as false anyway (Rasalhaguian and Azami identites being exhibits A and B).  Going back to the Annapolis example:  I don't view Annapolis being the completely Japanified planet as a "typical" Combine planet at all.  It's exceptional because it so neatly meets the fantastical standard that virtually every other Combine planet "falls short" of to some degree.  I guess it'd come down to whether or not you WANT Rockland to be another Annapolis or not :)

Something that caught my attention is the REVIVAL era indig militia.  Being far from the F-C borders it didn't rate a mech garrison.  No surprise, even given it's a fairly major world and close to the Periphery pirate kingdoms.  But it apparently didn't rate a conventional DCMS garrison, either.   The absence of mention of a DCMS garrison can mean lots of things, but one's POV about how many lesser conventional regiments there should be in the House Armies isn't something that's worth going into here.  May be for the best to presume that no mention of a DCMS garrison does not equate to no presence of a DCMS garrison in the history of the Jaguar conquest: it suffices to say that whatever DCMS forces (if any) present played no meaningful role in the defense of the planet.

So what to make of the Rockland People's Army? It was quite possibly up-gunned industrial/mining mechs, of the sort we'd again see in the Dark Age.  If there were DCMS troops onworld and didn't fight in the Trial of Possession, stands to reason that they didn't because the "mechs" of the RPA, such as they were, were the best bet to face off against invading mechs.

More interesting to me is the particular nomenclature chosen for the force.  "People's Army" may not be a loaded term a thousand years in the future, but the name was invented again in a real-world context in which it DOES have implied meaning.  And as the 4th Donegal Guards regiment's history shows, Commies are still alive and well in the future of the BTU.  It may be interesting to postulate a neo-Communist world government that's repeated their own Red Oktober and canned the planetary hereditaty nobility.  Obviously the lack of an mention of a DCMS occupation implies that the Pesht Warlord was fine with the status quo on Rockland, so perhaps so long as the Rockland Commies did as they were told from off-planet they were free to do what they wanted on-planet.  Kind of a fun irony to the founding names like Maverick and Liberty, imo :)
« Last Edit: 23 February 2018, 20:11:42 by Tai Dai Cultist »

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #361 on: 23 February 2018, 21:29:27 »
Well not having a major DCMS presence, isn't that odd most planets on the rim don't.  There was most likely a small DCMS liaison officer presence just enough that you knew that you were a DC force, but nothing more.   

The name, just might have been selected by the original explorer, based on the description of planet.  Until they found that mining was great.

as for the government style I will back Tai Dai Cultist idea of a neo-communist style.  And yes there might be political prisoners used for mining labor, and yes they might have been shipped in by the DC.

O5P might have an asset or 2 here, but no more really, hate to say but this unimportant world. 
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #362 on: 24 February 2018, 05:08:15 »
4. Freedom? Mentioned in the Invading Clans SB and repeated again in the summary there seems to be a spirit of liberty and independence here unusual for a Draconis world. With the capital called Maverick it seems to be almost American or Periphery like than a Kurita world.

Could be a 1984-ish thing. You know, "Ministry of Love" and all that.

Give the people some very conspicuous things that *look* like freedom, and at the same time make them get used to not having anything that *is* freedom.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #363 on: 24 February 2018, 08:38:38 »
A lot of good input gang, some further thoughts.

Proximity: Given its proximity to Rasahalgue it could well be that the Combine first colonized the world as an outpost during its conquest of the Principality. It is relatively simply named Rockland denoting the type of planet it is rather succinctly to the higher ups who probably never end up going there in any event. The other option is a Periphery world that was colonized by an independent group and was occupied by the Dragon at some point in history.

Penal Colony: To clarify I don't think the entire population is there breaking rocks in a labor camp but rather it is a part of Rockland's history. It is just too tempting of angle for me to completely ignore given the Combine's history and traditions that at least some of the populace was transported here to undergo rehabilitation through hard labor. This is likely in the distant past given the lack of interstellar transportation during the Succession Wars which was only on the decline up until the 4th Succession War.

Technological Recovery: This brings up the lostech recovery of recent years which if you look at the militia (described as poorly equipped) seems to be something of a distant event. Stagnation rules here with little true innovation occurring, tools and techniques for industry have evolved little, and I doubt there was much of a focus on improving the adequate level production.

State of the Militia / Mentality of the People: Given the single infantry regiment that defended Rockland which was poorly equipped and its proximity to the Periphery which had many bandits nearby I'd have to conclude that the natives would probably have a well earned reputation of being hard headed stubborn folk. The thing of greatest value here to me for pirates would be the people for slave labor IMO. Your not after rocks and the tech level seems to be poor for export but there are plenty of people for involuntary labor. However given the militias response to the Clans which showed right up to meet them in combat I doubt that bandits would be after such a difficult fight for the return of labor that is just damn difficult to make work.

Communism: The name People's Army does suggest some sort of neo-communist government and really doesn't (IMO) conflict with the independent (Liberty/Maverick) themes already fleshed out. Every People's Republic always plays up the freedom angle no matter how totalitarian it really is anyway. I'm sure it could be spun as collective freedom in any event. Which brings us back to hard labor of the planet's primary industry; rock breaking. Could strong organized labor (union) approach have begat this type of planetary organization and local government?
And here is a big reach but could there have been a Liao 'outreach' here during the Star League or the Concord of Kapetyn given the possible governmental similarities? Given the importance of Rockland I doubt it but hey I will pitch it to you guys...

Rebellions and Patriotism: There seems to be a natural hard headed populace that is developing in my mind that could have resisted or rebeled against Kurita at one time (Von Rohrs administration?) but at the same time there seems to be an acceptance by the Dragon of the people which could foster a natural patriotic feeling. The Japanification of the Combine during the rule of Urizen II may have just moved folks from planets like Annapolis to Rockland, all the bad apples in one basket idea).

My general conclusion so far is that Rockland was a remote planet with little importance, before the Clans, that had a large degree of autonomy mostly because the Combine didn't really care.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #364 on: 24 February 2018, 08:44:51 »
I think the Liao angle is a bridge too far, but the rest all sounds reasonable...

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #365 on: 24 February 2018, 12:24:14 »
My general conclusion so far is that Rockland was a remote planet with little importance, before the Clans, that had a large degree of autonomy mostly because the Combine didn't really care.

Well, saying a planet objectively has a large amount of autonomy is probably a stretch.   Surely though it could have a comparably large amount of autonomy for a Combine planet :D

On the planet's origins:  If you like the idea that mining/quarrying is part of the foundation of the colony, you could say that it was an early case of TH/DC cooperation that'd become more common later on during the Golden Era of the Star League.  Being hemmed in on all sides with no room to expand, it's established that the TH co-funded colonization efforts across the surrounding 5 Great Houses for a share of the mineral/industrial output of those colonies.  Being co-colonized by the TH can also help explain some "Space America" aspects to the planet's character, as well.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #366 on: 25 February 2018, 21:51:49 »
So we will see how much resistance the Tenth Garrison Cluster, will offer to our forces.  I hope our forces give a good showing. 

Now while Rockland, is a good starting target.  Are we going to fight the Smoke Jaguar by Clan Honor rules or by KILL THEM ALL AND LET GOD SORT THEM OUT rules.  And do we have a followup attack plan?

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #367 on: 28 February 2018, 21:05:00 »
Well consent of the governed does come into play. I see neither the Combine or the Jaguars as liberal rulers letting the denizens set their own policies but rather autocrats who must show some sort of respect for those they mean to govern. Kurita has probably earned that relationship to the proudly 'independent' people of Rockland whereas the Jags have not. This aspect will of course be important to the scenario going forth. Certainly I expect the Jags to bring in Labor Caste representatives to integrate the populace but will that result in culture shock or some degree of assimilation?

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #368 on: 21 March 2018, 16:10:41 »
Any update?

Have we hit the Tenth Garrison Cluster on Rockland yet

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #369 on: 23 March 2018, 11:25:14 »
Negative my friend. Still setting up. I'll try to throw more details out soon.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #370 on: 22 May 2018, 17:01:31 »
Inquiring Minds want to know

Have we hit the Tenth Garrison Cluster on Rockland yet, and taken them down, securing not only Clan Tech, but better still Clan Intel and Codes

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #371 on: 22 May 2018, 17:22:47 »
This years RPG season came to an end April 29th and sadly we didn't fit our Coyote Khan Trial, Battle of Rockland (Sohei vs. the Clans), the Battle of Sadurni (initial battle of the Marik Civil War), or our annual Solaris matches.

On the one hand it really stinks as 2017-2018 was very busy and hard to find to time for my circle of friends to get together for gaming. Perhaps we might gather for a summer session but things usually don't pick up till after November 1.

Rockland needs a lot more prep before it is ready to go as the Khan Trial will likely be first with Sadurni next.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #372 on: 22 May 2018, 20:20:43 »
I remember know those days to well my friend, as it is 1 of my gaming group has met once since December because of scheduling and weather conflicts.

I'm just interested as invested many PC/NPC for the unit. 

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #373 on: 22 May 2018, 21:59:54 »
I'm just interested as invested many PC/NPC for the unit.

As am I.

When I get some free time I will run some of the setup by you guys here for your input. ;)

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #374 on: 21 October 2018, 19:19:34 »
knock knock
just looking to see if we have date for this

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #375 on: 21 October 2018, 22:36:38 »
This is number three in the adventure que my friend. ;)

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #376 on: 22 October 2018, 19:43:29 »
 :thumbsup:

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #377 on: 28 January 2019, 20:34:48 »
So how is things coming with your gaming group?  any update on this?

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #378 on: 29 January 2019, 01:16:20 »
Entire unit was destroyed in space when they ran into a Clan Warship

j/k     >:D
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #379 on: 29 January 2019, 06:37:39 »
That would not be funny with all the work we put in.

Well Doc let me give you a bit of an update on things. Been working on the entire BattleTech: Salient Horizon (see my new avatar for the logo and link for details) setting over on OBT lately which currently is seeing the Quicksilver Upgrades conclude, at least for OmniMechs.

https://www.ourbattletech.com/forum/index.php?topic=3686.0

Gaming wise we had to postpone last weeks session which would have concluded our Solaris events for the year. After this we have our first mission for Sadurni (opening phase of the Marik Civil War) and Rockland (the Sohei vs the Smoke Jaguar) planned. The PCs are anxious to get to both and we are talking turkey on them.

For Rockland a lot of deciding has yet to be done as two of my four guys have said they'd prefer to play out the Clan side of things. I will keep you posted.  ;)

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #380 on: 29 January 2019, 17:17:36 »
Well given we might if for bad luck, find a real warship...  and well we got 1 shot of "surprise" it sadly could happen.

Thanks for the update Takiro, and your BattleTech: Salient Horizon looks interesting.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #381 on: 29 January 2019, 17:51:58 »
Thanks bud, if I ever get time to jot it all down you'll be the first to know. ;)

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #382 on: 31 March 2019, 12:24:18 »
Okay gang I wanted to put you all on notice that the first battle of Rockland is next up in our gaming que.

The first scenario will see a Clan style Trial agreed to by both sides which plays out in Great Refusal style (company of Sohei Mechs vs. binary of Smoke Jaguars).

Love to hear your thoughts on who will be participating for the Sohei (aka pick the 12 best Mechwarriors and their rides which can win such an engagement). ;)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #383 on: 31 March 2019, 12:46:00 »
I think Matsumoto definitely needs to be in the 12.  Watanabe is probably in too light of a 'mech...

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #384 on: 31 March 2019, 17:38:32 »
So noted Daryk. I would probably agree with your sentiments regarding Light Mechs as their survivability is most questionable in this engagement. Assaults maybe best suited here but I could see Heavies maybe Mediums.

Also as dueling is the plan I will allow customization of these 12 Mechs for the express purpose of maximizing their capabilities against Clan tech. PLEASE NOTE: I'd like to choose the 12 dueling masters before we begin customization talks!!!

Now please continue with your personnel recommendations.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #385 on: 31 March 2019, 18:37:08 »
Hmmm... if customization is on the menu, then Watanabe should probably be on the list too.  Put a melee weapon in her hand, and she'll be deadly.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #386 on: 31 March 2019, 19:11:47 »
Yes we are go for battle!!! :thumbsup:
Here are my thoughts for our 12

Hitomi Barca, Elite, Battlemaster [Takiro]
Born in the poor slums of New Samarkand she was left by her mother on the doorstep of a local Abbey of the O5P. Recognizing her natural mental acuity the Order provided her the finest schooling possible which Hitomi soaked right up. Dedicating herself to House Kurita she took every opportunity to enhance her genius level intellect even learning to operate a BattleMech. Emulating the founder, Shiro Kurita, she also mastered tactical and strategic concepts as well as several martial arts in order to repay the Dragon. Taking the surname Barca in honor of her favorite ancient General this young thirty year old serves as the Sohei’s Chief Planning Officer and is a close personal advisor to Daniel McAlister. ‘The Brain’ as she is often called can be seen calculating complex equations or reading books in various different languages during her off hours.
Takehiko Kurita, Elite, Highlander [Takiro]
A distant relative of the ruling dynasty is a new relatively new member of the Order of Five Pillars transferred to the Sohei by special order. Always fascinated with the dueling arts this young battalion commander with the Sword of Light regiments was an admirer of the old-school philosophies of Coordinator Takashi Kurita. Outspoken in his critiques of the Gunji no Kanrei this superb Mechwarrior often found himself at odds with many reform minded supporters in the DCMS. His position was not helped when Takehiko voiced admiration for the Clan style of warfare which he found similar to the old ways. Luckily the Order safeguarded him from official sanctions and took him in as a part of the still assembling Sohei. Kurita has become one of the foremost experts on the Clans reviewing all data from the Combine and allied sources. While never having faced them in combat he looks forward to the challenge even while some fear he maybe a Clan sympathizer. He pilots a Highlander which was originally sold to the Draconis Combine by ComStar nearly twenty years ago.
Hisoka Matsumoto, Elite, VTR-9K Victor [Daryk]
is a very unassuming man.  Barely 155 cm tall, he easily blends into average Combine society, though his well concealed martial arts skills would put paid to those assumptions.  As a scion of a family that has long served the O5P covertly, it was relatively easy to insert him into the 5th Galedon Regulars.  What wasn't easy was pulling him back from the shattered remnant that retreated off Jeronimo in 3050.  The 5th Galedon 'mech he piloted at that point (a Charger) was little more than a wreck, but his cover remained intact until he was safely back among the Order.  His conduct on Jeronimo reflected his personality: quiet professionalism.  Since Turtle Bay, the few who know him would characterize his demeanor as "implacable".  His parents lived in Edo.  The Order was sufficiently impressed by his conduct on Jeronimo to send him to OCS upon his return, and he now leads the 2nd Mobile Assault Lance of the Sohei's 2nd Mobile Assault Company piloting a brand new Victor-9K.  He focused on improving his gunnery during OCS with impressive results, and the gauss rifle of his new 'mech is perfectly suited to killing Clanners.
Shiori Noriko, Elite, CTF-1X Cataphract [Ice Hellion]
Born in the Capellan Confederation from parents serving in the Shin Legion, the girl who would become Shiori Noriko was a small child when the unit fled the Capellan Confederation. She was one of the hostages taken in custody by the Dragon to ensure the loyalty of the Shin Legion and educated as a perfect and loyal Kuritan citizen.
When the time came she was sent back to the Shin Legion to serve as a loyal observer and this is when she fought on Cyrenaica against Clan Nova Cat during the retreat to and the siege of Lasner, earning them some experience against the invaders.
Eager to have ‘MechWarriors both loyal to their ideals and with combat experience against the Clans, the Order of Five Pillars requested her to “come back home”, which she did. Today, her CTF-1X  Cataphract “Kōan” can be seen on the training fields teaching the Sohei newest recruits how to fight.

Jak ‘Two Guns’ Warren, Veteran, WHM-6D Warhammer [Doc_Agren]
Jak been a loyal O5P operative who cover has been in the service of the DCMS and was transferred into 9th Pesht Regulars based on Schwartz on May 24, 3049 to determine loyality of the unit.  In March 3050 the Ninth faced the Smoke Jaguar's Nineteenth Striker Cluster.  Jak attempted to hold back the unknown mechs when his grandmother's Mech "Popcorn Popper 2" Warhammer 6K was destroyed ammo explosion, but he successfully ejected and was able to E&E and escape with rest of the unit and Tai-sa Mark Graham.
Now a member of the dispossessed, and well not in line in the 9th to getting new ride, he left the DCMS.  Now he been preparing to deal with clanner mech combat, and through the O5P he was able to gain a Warhammer 6D which he has plans to upgrade with ER PPC and Double Heat Sinks ASAP.  He calls he new ride "Popcorn Popper 3".
Jak is naturally ambidextrous, carries twin magnum autopistols which he uses with equal skills. as well as being a 2nd Kyu in Kyokushin (Brown Belt)

Jeremiah ‘Bulldog’ Bullton, Veteran, TDR-7M Thunderbolt [Doc_Agren]
Jeremiah has served O5P a mech operative for 10 years.  He has served the order as a spy, he was born in Styx in 3020.  Serving as a Merc has allowed him to “see” the stars and report back via the Covert Fleet intel he gathered.  His Ride is an older Thunderbolt built in the TC that has been upgraded to the 7M model standards (if possible swap the ER LL and 2MG and ammo for ER PPC).
Jeremiah is loud and uncouth individual, most of this comes from his cover as Merc.  Those wild color on the shirts he wears off duty are a sight to behold, and yes he can tell great stories and no one is 100% sure if they are complete tails or main of truth and lies.  He carries a well used and loved Sternsnacht Python Auto-Pistol on his right hip, and on his left hip cross draw is a .454mag Revolver that he claims he once brought down a Locust mech with 4 shots.  Jeremiah is his real 1st name, but Bullton is not his last part of a well designed cover by the O5P claiming he was from the Grossbach in the TC, but he will answer to it now as if it is his own, honestly much better then his own.

Katsumi Watanabe, Elite, Wolverine [Daryk]
Katsumi Watanabe is from a family that has long served the Order, but covertly.  Growing up, she went to the same (Order-sponsored) military school as her mother, and learned how to pilot a 'mech from her grandmother after graduation.

Being an independent MechWarrior, she counted herself "lucky" to find a posting with the 5th Amphigean Light Assault Group, and luckier still to come into possession of a Marik Wolverine during her years with that unit.  She was, of course, keeping her family posted of all the goings on in the unit, using her letters home as a cover.

When the 5th was finally shattered by the Ghost Bears on Krenice, she was one of the few survivors, but refused to join "The 48th" mercenary unit with the others, instead returning to her family (with "her" 'mech) .  This caused no little friction with her former comrades, and the XO of the The 48th is holding a particular grudge while actively smearing her reputation.  As she led one of the assaults on Ghost Bear supply lines, there's also a Ghost Bear Star Captain looking for her.  Fortunately, her cover held throughout her time with the 5th, so the Order's involvement with her posting was never discovered.

She's spent the last year and more honing her considerable piloting skills under the tutelage of her grandmother, and leapt at the chance to join the Sohei.  The considerable time she's spent training in martial arts has translated well into her ability behind the controls of her 'mech, Suto.

Aika Gunma, Elite (2/3), WHM-7K Warhammer [O5P Ghost]
An orphan from Marlowe's Rift in the Galedon District, Gunma lost his family to a AFFS raid in 3024 (age 3). Taken into the Order he was noted for his martial skills and leadership. However, he had a temper and hated all things Davion. Gunma was sent to the Sun Tzu School of Combat and excelled in Mech combat. He received his first Mech, a Panther just in time to fight in the War of 3039. He was assigned to the 2nd Galedon Regulars. He survived the war and was promoted to Gunsho and was transferred to multiple units in his salvaged Warhammer (converted to the 6K model). While transferred he continued to work as an informant for the O5P without the knowledge of his DCMS superiors. At the beginning of the Clan War, he was a Tai-i in the 4th Pesht Regulars and one of the few survivors of combat against the Smoke Jaguars. While recuperating on Pesht, during which he spent hours in sims to gain important skills for a rematch against the Clans, he was removed from the unit and placed in the new Sohei due to his Clan combat experience. He was assigned a Warhammer 7K for his new role as a Lance Commander.

Tai Maeda, Elite, Ono [Calderon]
This war orphan was a warrior from birth trained by the Order of Five Pillars who honed his natural abilities into an elite Mechasenshi. Following his warrior’s heart to seek glory for House Kurita he convinced the Order to place him among the Gladiators of Solaris where he could fulfill his destiny. Nominally assigned to observe the Dragon’s faithful he went onto establish quite a reputation for himself on the Game World. Despite his overseers’ best attempts to keep him out of the spotlight an undefeated record and a growing fan base promoted major stables like DeLon and Silver Dragon to approach him with lucrative contract offers. Thankfully the formation of the Sohei necessitated his recall to the Draconis Combine where he eagerly awaits his chance to fight the Clans. Currently thirty-eight years of age Tai is still eager to challenge these ‘unstoppable invaders’ convinced he will overcome them as well.  He was issued a prototype SOH-E1 Ono BattleMech upon his return to Soul.
Haruna ‘Katsuo’ Takahashi, Elite, Katana [Takiro]
This quiet unacclaimed hero of the Clan War is perhaps the most experienced combat veteran to face the invaders on behalf of the Draconis Combine. After several campaigns and a number of engagements this ultra-elite Mechwarrior has become one of the few InnerSphere ‘Marksman’ taking down more than five OmniMechs in her advanced Marauder. The recipient of many honors shocked many when she requested assignment to the Order of Five Pillars rather than taking another more prestigious posting. At first she was even reluctant to accept a place in the Sohei disclosing her personal inner struggles and frowning upon the foolish attention lavished upon her by some. Appeals by Siriwan Kuna and Daniel McAlister changed her mind thankfully adding a renowned warrior to the Sohei. Driven to teach her brethren the harshness of combat with the invaders she can frequently be seen dispatching would be challengers on the Proving Grounds.
Arturo Santiago Guzman, Veteran, CRD-3L Crusader [Sharpnel]
plots the Crusader which has been converted to the jump-capable 3L variant using parte made in the Combine wherever possible. Arturo is from Tabayama and s descended from a group of families that fled Santiago after Massacre. However, instead of heading into Alliance space, their Jumpship, through navigator incompetence or subterfuge, jumped in the opposite direction into Kuritan space. Detained by the DCA and later imprisoned, his ancestors would eventually be released after the Reunification War and would eventually become productive, if not loyal, citizens of the Combine. He's a twenty-year veteran having served n several of the Galedon Regulars mech regiments before retiring to serve in the O5P. His middle name honors his family's roots and he wears proudly. Arturo is an accomplished rifleman, especially with a bolt-action rifle (a modern version of SMLE Rifle No. 4 [Removable Box magazine, modern optics, and no wood anywhere)
Reika Sato, Elite, MAD-5D Marauder [Takiro]
As a female commoner from Buckminster she had little chance of ever becoming a Mechwarrior despite showing an early natural aptitude. Recognizing that all things were possible to the Order of the Five Pillars she joined and soon became part of the Sohei after undergoing training. Not only has she become one of the best Marauder pilots in the InnerSphere but she is also a lance commander as well. She prefers to remain unrecognized and speaks fondly of the good old days not so long ago when the unit remained entirely clandestine. Many women in the Sohei look up to this thirty-seven year old as a role model a position she also realizes but states she has no desire to foster. While her devotion to House Kurita cannot be questioned, she is well aware of the contradictions of life.
« Last Edit: 31 March 2019, 19:14:27 by DOC_Agren »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #387 on: 31 March 2019, 19:36:19 »
Awesome summary, DOC_Agren!  :thumbsup:

I think I lost the file I had the characters I created in, so they may or may not have had SPAs in addition to their other stats.  I want to say Watanabe had Melee Master at the least.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #388 on: 31 March 2019, 20:56:15 »
Daryk, look back in this, they might be here.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #389 on: 31 March 2019, 21:12:21 »
Oh, they are all there - that is for sure my friends but here is the Mech roster of the Sohei. I should also spell out one more thing - with the purpose being to outduel the Clans such endeavors initially at least must be strictly on their terms. In other words we are following strict zellbrigen here so no hatchet wielding Mechs or folks specializing in physical combat.

Command Lance
Daniel McAlister, Elite, Hatamoto Hi [Takiro]
Siriwan Kuna, Veteran, Grand Dragon [Takiro]
Hitomi Barca, Elite, Battlemaster [Takiro]
Walter Kato, Veteran, Ono [Gus]

Mobile Assault Company
   Mobile Assault Lance 1
Takehiko Kurita, Elite, Highlander [Takiro]
Jirou Sainze, Elite, Shogun [Takiro]
Haruna ‘Katsuo’ Takahashi, Elite, Katana [Takiro]
Naomi ‘Chika’ Ishikawa, Elite, Katana [Takiro]
   Mobile Assault Lance 2
Hisoka Matsumoto, Elite, VTR-9K Victor [Daryk]
Donald Werner, Elite, VTR-9B Victor [Takiro]
Sonya ‘Raijin’Korushima, Veteran, CGR-3K Charger [Doc_Agren]
Kasia ‘U~izādo’ Derdowski, Veteran, GLT-5M Guillotine [Doc_Agren]
   Mobile Assault Lance 3
Reika Sato, Elite, MAD-5D Marauder [Takiro]
Shiori Noriko, Elite, CTF-1X Cataphract [Ice Hellion]
Catherine Kennedy, Elite, GHR-C Grasshopper [Dragon Cat]
Arturo Santiago Guzman, Veteran, CRD-3L Crusader [Sharpnel]

Battle Company (Tanaka's Tanegashima)
   Battle Lance 1 (Surejjihanmā Lance - Sledgehammer)
Tanaka ‘Shadow’ Nakamora, Elite, WHM-6Rk Warhammer [Takiro]
Jak ‘Two Guns’ Warren, Veteran, WHM-6D Warhammer [Doc_Agren]
Tomoe ‘Banshee’ Yoshinaka, Veteran, ARK-5R Archer [Doc_Agren]
Jeremiah ‘Bulldog’ Bullton, Veteran, TDR-7M Thunderbolt [Doc_Agren]
   Battle Lance 2 (Bravo Lance)
Aika Gunma, Elite (2/3), WHM-7K Warhammer [O5P Ghost]
Hyi-joo Wantanabe, Veteran (3/4), ARC-5R Archer [O5P Ghost]
Leo Mertens, Elite (2/3), SPR-9K Venom [O5P Ghost]
George Hayashi, Veteran (2/4), CRB-27 Crab [O5P Ghost]
   Battle Lance 3 (Four Claws of the Dragon)
Ryu Shirou, Elite, Atlas [Bradshaw]
Jin Shirou, Elite, Flashman [Bradshaw]
Ryo Shirou, Elite, Lancelot [Bradshaw]
Wo Shirou, Elite, Phoenix Hawk [Bradshaw]

Strike Company   
   Strike Lance 1 (Double Nickel, all Mechs 55 tons)
Iraho Tagai, Elite, Shadow Hawk [Takiro]
Tai Maeda, Elite, Ono [Calderon]
Katsumi Watanabe, Elite, Wolverine [Daryk]
Irena Petrova-Kawamoto, Elite, GRF-1S Griffin [Sharpnel]
   Strike Lance 2 (upgraded with C3 network)
Gregory Kawamura, Elite, Kintaro [Takiro] swaps Narc for C3 Master
Kiyamora Takashi, Veteran, Dervish [Ice Hellion]
Ryu Master, Elite, Grand Dragon [Ice Hellion]
Hikaru ‘Blue’ Wolf, Veteran, Wolf Trap [Ice Hellion]
   Strike Lance 3 (Herald of the Dragon / Ryuunosuke)
Daiki Jiro, Veteran, Stinger LAM [Takiro]
Makiko Itagaki, Regular, PHX-HK1 Phoenix Hawk LAM [Doc_Agren]
Jay Paul Retilter, Veteran, PHX-HK1 Phoenix Hawk LAM [Doc_Agren]
Takashi Mitsuko, Elite, Stinger LAM [Ice Hellion]