Author Topic: Jihad: Final Reckoning (print edition)  (Read 3403 times)

Nerroth

• Captain
Jihad: Final Reckoning (print edition)
« on: 12 December 2011, 16:44:47 »
I was able to pick up a print copy of J:FR at my FLGS yesterday, and it looks pretty good so far!

I like the contrast between the state of play on the 3067 and 3081 maps, though it is a bit hard to pick out the details on the page for things like planet names. (Par for the course in print, I suppose.) The separate map of the Republic is nice and clear, and it is interesting to compare the borders shown here to what they would become by 3130.

The Jihad timeline is handy, though I was kind of hoping there could be more of a narrative for the broad strokes of the conflict, akin to that presented for the Clan Homeworlds in The Wars of Reaving.

The hints at what kind of Word forces and technologies might have gotten away have a few neat ideas; I wonder if any of the ones related to hyperspace will end up feeding into what we will one day see regarding Grey Monday and CLARION NOTE.

Also, of the experimental units presented, I especially like the designs for the three Spectral LAMs; the only thing I would have wanted to be changed was for the Waneta to have a proper "head" when in Mech form. (Yes, the pilot would still be in the cockpit, but the "heads" on the Pwwka and Yurei help those units work a lot better for me, visually at least.)

At this point, I'm looking forward to seeing what FM:3085 has to offer; and after that, roll on the Dark Age!
« Last Edit: 12 December 2011, 17:11:36 by Nerroth »

cawest

• Captain
Re: Jihad: Final Reckoning (print edition)
« Reply #1 on: 13 December 2011, 14:45:58 »
picked up mine in az last night, it will be awhile before i can get to reading it... still going threw Reaving

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 19 December 2011, 21:03:37 »
Got mine a few days ago.  Finished soon after.  Really enjoyed it and can't believe that its over. 

DirewolfV.

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 12 February 2012, 21:11:19 »
Probably my favorite B-Tech book after tactical operations to date. I really like how Devlin Stone responded to the assassination attempt. the Super-Heavy Mechs present some real possibilities, especially if you could somehow give them Reactive Armor (since that would very much negate the damage done to them by bombs and artillery, which the Super-Heavy is otherwise very vulnerable to- though it clearly would still need support. ) The part on experimental weapons was an extremely nice touch. I would have liked to have seen more on how Counter-Oribital weapons work. The artwork is great (the cover really captures the insanity of "The Master") , and the crazy "revenge bombings/terrorist attacks" launched at the end was very much what you'd expect from the WoB- pretty pointless, but chilling.
Winter is coming.

Register