Author Topic: Phoenix, AZ - Campaign 2018  (Read 22079 times)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
Re: Phoenix, AZ - Campaign 2017
« Reply #30 on: 02 September 2017, 19:11:38 »
Very cool.
See you in a couple weeks.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #31 on: 07 September 2017, 17:51:42 »
So are you still tweaking the scenario?  Are we going to be dealing strafing runs?  strikes?  bombs? 

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • I paid for my Atlas by selling action figures.
« Reply #32 on: 07 September 2017, 17:54:12 »
You're attacking an airfield. You'll have friendly aerospace cover that will keep you from constant bombardment, but you should be prepared in case any enemies slip through.

Here's the scenario, for those not on the email list:

Scenario: Airfield Attack

Executive Summary:

You have succeeded in getting a foothold on Cavanaugh II, but until you can gain at least local air superiority your dropships will be hard-pressed to keep you in supplies... which is why you've sent a fast strike force to capture an enemy airfield. Judging by the blips that just popped up on the long-range scanner, however, your "fast strike force" wasn't fast enough -- an easy "blow up everything" mission just got complicated.

Scenario Basics:
BV limit: 2500 (only applies for forces not submitted at least 48 hours before the game)
Unit max: 2 (applies to all forces; carried infantry does not count against this total)
Unit limitation: Must be at least 4/6, or be carried by a unit that is.
Victory Condition (300 SP): Hold the field at the end of the game. This is defined as having more BV and units in the airfield area at the end of the game. Bonus 100 SP if none of the alternate victory conditions were accomplished.
Alternate Victory Conditions (100 SP per, max 400 SP): (Only if the field is not held.) Destroy the control tower, fueling station, repair bay, and at least three hangars.
Salvage: Only if field held. (Note salvage changes in the campaign rules.)
Next Mission (Success): Stand-up fight or, if at least one field is held, Defense
Next Mission (Failure): Breakthrough
Intel: From the number of enemies on your threat display, you're outnumbered and maybe outgunned; additionally, if they were able to scramble aerospace fighters you might be vulnerable to air attack. With excellent tactics you may be able to hold the field, but the safe plan is to destroy the facilities and get out.

Force Composition: See the campaign rules: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19OwgNoldoGaAGuujXkLKuiRNB88Vc6j2SWOeKnsTuCE/edit?usp=sharing
Force Composition, Short Version: Create a mercenary force according to the rules (or ask the GM for one). Pick two units from that force to bring to the battle. (If you submit these to the GM by Thursday there is no BV limit. After that, max 2500 BV.)

Terrain: The battle will be played on a 4'x6' table (2" hexes) with minimal forestation and an airfield complex in the middle. Setup will be along the player's choice of edge, with the GM defenders placing half their units before the edge choice. If turnout is high we will split players evenly between two tables.

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #33 on: 08 September 2017, 10:15:44 »
I knew there was another question I meant to ask. 

It doesn't say anything about short vs. long edge.  Does this mean the players can choose any of the four edges to come in on?

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #34 on: 08 September 2017, 10:17:21 »
Yes. You can analyze the visible defenses and come up with a plan; you can also choose to play range games, or immediately go toe-to-toe.

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #35 on: 08 September 2017, 10:51:01 »
Cool.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 09 September 2017, 18:00:15 »
Unit max: 2 (applies to all forces; carried infantry does not count against this total)

Victory Condition (300 SP): Hold the field at the end of the game. This is defined as having more BV and units in the airfield area at the end of the game. Bonus 100 SP if none of the alternate victory conditions were accomplished.

Alternate Victory Conditions (100 SP per, max 400 SP): (Only if the field is not held.) Destroy the control tower, fueling station, repair bay, and at least three hangars.

Salvage: Only if field held. (Note salvage changes in the campaign rules.)

Intel: From the number of enemies on your threat display, you're outnumbered and maybe outgunned; additionally, if they were able to scramble aerospace fighters you might be vulnerable to air attack. With excellent tactics you may be able to hold the field, but the safe plan is to destroy the facilities and get out.

Terrain: The battle will be played on a 4'x6' table (2" hexes) with minimal forestation and an airfield complex in the middle. Setup will be along the player's choice of edge, with the GM defenders placing half their units before the edge choice. If turnout is high we will split players evenly between two tables.

Some questions based on what I'm reading.

1.  Unit Count is for ALL forces, but the Intel says we are out numbered.
This is contradictory, so I'm wondering if this is a typo & if so in what way.

2.  More BV in the airfield area to win? 
Do you mean a specific section of the map or the map itself.
If its a specific section, how large are you talking?

3.  IF they were able to scramble fighters?
We don't play with Aero units so are we actually under attack from fighters?
If we are, are they part of the allotted BV?
If we are, are we able to shoot back?      IE.  FLAK = Good
If they are & if we can, then is a shot down fighter salvageable?  (For points, not playing in the future)

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #37 on: 09 September 2017, 18:07:58 »
1. The "all" refers to both types of player forces, not the enemy.
2. About a quarter of the map. It's mainly to avoid stuff in the corner of the map counting.
3. The odds are you'll get strafed or bombed at least once. You have allied fighters that will put severe restrictions on the enemy. Shooting back will help quite a bit.  If you shoot something down, it crashes; you're welcome to salvage the confetti.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: 15 September 2017, 16:27:54 »
Tomorrow (Sept 16) game canceled, sorry. Family stuff (nothing bad, just takes precedence).

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 24 September 2017, 13:17:29 »
Any news on when the replacement game will be?

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #40 on: 30 September 2017, 22:53:33 »
Saturday, October 14th.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 16 October 2017, 15:19:06 »
Thanks for the fun game Joel & Jim as Guest GM.

Kind of glad the ASF didn't end up working, that always seemed rather complex to mix the 2.
That said, an actual AT battle with Fighters -> Warships every year or 2 would be awesome.

For the games/results.

For Table West it was GM:Joel47 v/s 2 Players.   (? v 4 Mechs?)
No idea what the GM had but the players had a new Wolfhound customized, a Jump-9 Griffin?, a Catapult of some type, & a 4th mech that I didn't catch.

I don't know the specifics of each round, because I was on the east table but I got the impressions that the GM forces took out 2 mechs while 2 more retreated off the board to preserve themselves, but not before the players destroyed 2 of the Airfield objectives.

Table-East:   Guest GM:Jim1701 v/s 3 Players  (9v9 Units)

GM Forces:   (2 H-Mechs, 3 M-Mechs, A-Vee, M-Vee, 2 L-Vees)
Warhammer-9M?   (Lt Gauss)
Bombardier-11D?   (2750)
Lynx-9Q?
Hunchback-5M
Cicada-3MA?   (Snubby)
Partisan (AC2)
Drillson  (Standard)
Hunter ?  (LRM10+2ML)
Harasser  (LRM)

Player Forces:   (A-Mech, H-Mech, 2M-Mechs, 2M-Vees, 3-BattleArmorSquads)
Rifleman-II-3N  (Custom/Snubbies)
Avatar-O  (Custom-ERPPCs/MLs/TC)
PhoenixHawk-6D
Firestarter-O  (Custom-Plasma/MLs)
Musketeer (3080)  x2
Kopis  x2
Taranis

The Players started out with less mechs, less Vees, over 100 tons less in raw tonnage & less mobility.
What they did have is some advantage in Skill & Quality of units over some lemons in the GM forces.

In hindsight, as players, I think we made 2 small tactical errors on turn 1.
Both our 4/6 heavies entered in 1 corner of the board which meant it took a while to get them range for big contributions.
We also dropped off the Battlearmor on turn 1 at the edge of the airfield so they also were not able to be right in the mix early on.
Neither was major but if round 1 had gone a bit different, I think there might have been quite a bit more destruction in the game.

These 2 things combined with some great play by GM:Jim lead to a far more even battle than we thought it would be after seeing some of the lemons that he was forced to work with.  (Hunchback & Warhammer,  yikes)

Quick round by round as I remember it, and only got 5 of them in sadly, partially due to my own lateness in arriving.

Round 1.
GM forces deployed on map (slow) or enter from the far end (fast).
Players enter from closer side to air base.
Avatar/Rifleman-II were on the SE Corner,  Pixie on the SW Corner,  Firestarter & Hovers w/ BA roll up the middle into cover of buildings & drop off BA Squads.

Round 2 the Firestarter & Hovers move West to back up the Pixie as the GM throws multiple hovers & mechs towards it.
The Partisan & Bombardier are still East side of the map & the Avatar/Rifleman try to take down the partisan.
Fire goes badly for the players & BOTH Musketeers are immobilized that round by Engine or Motive.
Minor damage to the GM forces left the players feeling a bit unsure but determined to try to kill something v/s destroy buildings.

Round 3 & 4 saw the Players manage to keep 1 Musketeer alive while the other had to bail out.
The GM forces on the other had saw the Hunchback fall & loose most its firepower from LT Cased ammo explosion followed by eventual CT coring in turn 5.  The Cicada got stacked on by the Pixie from behind that saw 3 MLs go RT(R) for XL/Torso destruction.
The Partisan was crippled down to 1/2 MP with a +6 to PSRs.  The Warhammer fell over, but otherwise was minimal damage.

The final round, #5 ended with the Partisan & Hunter both destroyed & the Firestarter missing most its armor.
Personally, the best/worst parts for me however were in my final round of fire.
Rifleman goes 2 for 4 at the Bombadier on 6's & having both hits go into the partial cover it was behind...... so annoying.
I yelled Edge to burn both my points that I had been saving in case the Firestarter took internals & rolled 4x 6's.
Double Boxcars ?!?!?!?  on an LBX Slug & Snubbie from 3 hexes, 20 points to the head!  A Pristine Bombardier for Salvage!
Only to be told that you can't use offensive edge on the final round.  DOH.
I actually recall that rule but thought it had gone away when Player edge dropped from a Max of 2/Unit down to 2/Force thus removing any 4/6 Edge forces from play.    DENIED :(
Finally the physicals phase.  Firestarter Kicks Warhammer from behind, Right Leg, Crit, Crit Roll, 12!!!  Leg Snaps off, 3 sets of Box Cars in 4 rolls, and the crowd goes wild.   

GM Joel decided to take some pity after denying the headless Bombardier & lets us keep the de-legged Warhammer as the game ended since it wouldn't have been able to crawl away & we were not retreating.

The Bombardier, Lynx, & 2 Hovers were Pristine or nearly so & retreated while the Players took some damage to the Medium mechs & Kopis BA.  But with the big mechs & BA holding the Airfield there wasn't much for the Marik forces to do at that point.

Salvaged averaged to 270 for each of the 5 Players & Guest GM.
Total Awards were 470 for Table-West Players & Guest GM & 670 for Table-East Players.

Jared is going to claim the Cicada for salvage for 200SP.
No one wants the Warhammer from Table-East so if either of the Table West players want it its for sale 25% off at 1050 SP.
The 3rd choice was just some SP from a truly destroyed Hunchback so nothing to keep there.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #42 on: 16 October 2017, 15:43:33 »
For Table West it was GM:Joel47 v/s 2 Players.   (? v 4 Mechs?)
No idea what the GM had but the players had a new Wolfhound customized, a Jump-9 Griffin?, a Catapult of some type, & a 4th mech that I didn't catch.

I don't know the specifics of each round, because I was on the east table but I got the impressions that the GM forces took out 2 mechs while 2 more retreated off the board to preserve themselves, but not before the players destroyed 2 of the Airfield objectives.

I had a Warrior H7B VTOL, a Hermes 1B, and a Marauder 9W2 for one OpFor (John B's), and two Hunters (Ammo variant), a Wolverine 9M for the other "default new player" OpFor (I might be missing something). Thomas had the Catapult CPLT-K5 and an Owens A. The players lost initiative about 4 times in 5 to start the game, allowing me to split their force. Initiative was about the only thing I could roll -- I don't think I hit anything until round 3, and probably totaled 25 damage through round 4. My shots that hit connected hard, though -- a TAC to the Wolfhound's leg destroyed two actuators (John B edged the crit roll, and my re-roll was... also a 10), so he limped it off the board instead of trying to survive as the only +2 target on the board. Around that time, one of my Hunters hit the Catapult and detonated its ammo. CASEd, but XL engine. (That was one of two hits the Hunters made all game.) John's Griffin kept jumping 8-9 hexes and throwing shots into buildings while I kept missing, but the Owens managed to be just a little slow one round -- another ammo explosion, this time un-CASEd. Then followed 3 or 4 rounds of the Griffin winning initiative, forcing my units to stay wide and hope for shots. Finally I won a round, and managed to get halfway decent shots (10+ is halfway decent against that abomination), and reduced both side torsos' armor to paper. The Griffin looked at its two successful objectives, the state of the remainder (100+ structure on the weaker), and proceeded to exit via suborbital leap. The defenders were left with one crippled Hunter (immobile, but had only been hit once in the rear to do that, so they stayed on the board) and a badly-damaged (but not crippled) Hermes.

Given that the players' plan seemed from the outset to be building destruction, I'm surprised they entered the long way. It did improve the odds of the faster units avoiding the MAD & WLV, but the CPLT could have dropped a building every round if adjacent.

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #43 on: 16 October 2017, 16:22:30 »
For the east table it is worth noting that I only won initative once abd had a significant lack of hole punchers to work with, Hunchback notwithstnding. 

I also discovered that I truly hate not having any influence in how many points I got so I'll pass on the GM duties from now on.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #44 on: 16 October 2017, 20:27:09 »
The Griffin looked at its two successful objectives, the state of the remainder (100+ structure on the weaker), and proceeded to exit via suborbital leap. The defenders were left with one crippled Hunter (immobile, but had only been hit once in the rear to do that, so they stayed on the board) and a badly-damaged (but not crippled) Hermes.

Given that the players' plan seemed from the outset to be building destruction, I'm surprised they entered the long way. It did improve the odds of the faster units avoiding the MAD & WLV, but the CPLT could have dropped a building every round if adjacent.

Oh wow, that was a far more even fight than I'd heard.  Didn't realize the Mad & Wlv were down for the count.
Yeah, not everyone knows about cluster hits v/s buildings at 1 hex. 
Makes for a much bigger damage option if you know that one.

For the east table it is worth noting that I only won initative once abd had a significant lack of hole punchers to work with, Hunchback notwithstnding. 

I also discovered that I truly hate not having any influence in how many points I got so I'll pass on the GM duties from now on.
I forgot to mention the initiative, I think you only won it during turn 3, so about the opposite rate of Joel's table.
PPCs are pretty common hole punchers & you had 3-4 of those with a couple 8 pointers as well in the LL & LtGauss.
Maybe better than we had, but, we also got a lot luckier with stacking smaller hits, where you got really lucky early with the crits & motives.

I don't think anyone likes the lack of control in points but someones got to GM, at least it rotates & this was your first time :)
After seeing what Joel wrote it sounds like he got really lucky with the crits to slow them down.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #45 on: 16 October 2017, 21:37:04 »
No, the MAD & WLV were fine, just having trouble catching the Griffin, much less hitting it.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #46 on: 16 October 2017, 23:42:13 »
Oh, I see.
I thought you were saying that is all that was left.
Your saying that was all the damage that had been done.
Okay, makes sense.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #47 on: 19 October 2017, 10:35:23 »
I was planning on having the next game be November 18, but it turns out I have a fiddle gig that afternoon. Stay tuned for the next available date...

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #48 on: 02 November 2017, 13:39:08 »
Upcoming Battletech Events
(Scroll down for upcoming scheduled campaign game)

Scenario: King of the Hill
Executive Summary:
On Solaris VII, Arms dealers compete to have their new 'mechs be the first to the top of a small mountain, holding it against all comers.
Scenario Basics:
BV limit: None (see tonnage limit)
Tonnage: 120 tons
Unit max: 4
Unit limitation: Inner sphere, Tournament-legal, Canon, jumping 'mechs only.
Victory Conditions:  When a ‘mech ends a round on the summit, its owner scores one point in the round the ‘mech reached the summit, then two points for the second consecutive round on the summit, three for the third, and so on. The first time in the game a ‘mech or ‘mechs ends a round on the summit, a bonus point will be awarded to those ‘mechs. In the event of a tie at the end of the game, the first tiebreak will be being on the summit in that round, the second will be size of said ‘mech, the third will be number of ‘mechs on the summit, and the fourth will be how close any remaining ‘mechs owned by the same player are to the summit.
Terrain: The mountain will be created from BattleHex terrain on one 4’x6’ map sheet (2” hexes). There will be at least one cliff face of three levels high, which will have to be climbed or jumped up. It will be possible to reach the top with a jump of only 3, but there may be a shorter route requiring a jump of 4 or more. The top will be a small plateau, three hexes in area. ‘Mechs will set up in one of twelve marked starting areas that will be evenly spread along the edges of the map.  Placement will be in random order.

Campaign Update: Airfield Assault (Oct 14)
Joel's Table:  (John B.,  New player, plus GM Jim)
2 of 4 Objectives destroyed = 200 SP
No Salvage

Jim's Table:  (Dennis, Jared, Justin)
Held the Field w/o Building Damage = 400 SP
Salvage:
•   Warhammer-8M (1400 * .75) = 1050 (available)
•   Cicada-3MA  (800 * .25) = 200 (claimed by Jared)
•   Hunchback-5M  (1000 * .10) = 100 (destroyed; points only)

No Salvage on Table Joel
3 Choices of Salvage on Table Jim.

Warhammer-9M?  (1400 * .75) = 1050
Cicada-3MA  (800 * .25) = 200
Hunchback-5M  (1000 * .10) = 100

1350 Total SP in Salvage / 5 Players = 270 SP Each.

John B. & Jim as GM get 470 SP each.
Dennis, Jared, & Justin get 670 SP each

Next Campaign Game: December 9
Players need to choose between:
•   Defend Airfield (breakthrough defense)
•   Push into enemy (stand-up fight)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #49 on: 02 November 2017, 22:38:42 »
I'm inclined to vote for Defend the Airfield

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #50 on: 03 December 2017, 21:41:57 »
In case anyone was not included in the email last week, this was sent out by Joel.

Battletech - Campaign - 12/9/17 - Game Depot - 1pm

Battletech Campaign

Scenario: Airfield Defense

Executive Summary:

Your foothold on Cavanaugh II is fragile. While you've captured an enemy airfield, allowing your dropships to land and resupply you, you're still surrounded on three sides. Long-range sensors have picked up several enemy strike teams coming your way, and you'll need to keep them away from your dropships if you want to keep your base.

Scenario Basics:
BV limit: 2500 (only applies for forces not submitted at least 48 hours before the game)
Bonus: Each player may bring up to 2 tons of Thunder LRM ammunition. (That's total for your force, and may not be given to other players.)
Victory Condition (300 SP): Zero enemy forces break through your lines. This is reduced by 30 SP for each 10% (rounded up) of the enemy force that makes it past you. (The percentage is by BV.)
Salvage: Only if at least 50% of the enemy is stopped -- otherwise you'll be too busy falling back.
Next Mission (Success on both tables): Stand-up fight or Deep Strike.
Next Mission (Failure on one or more table): Breakthrough.

Intel: You're outnumbered, but it looks like most of the enemy are in lighter units. Accuracy will be key.
Force Composition: See the campaign rules: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19OwgNoldoGaAGuujXkLKuiRNB88Vc6j2SWOeKnsTuCE/edit?usp=sharing

Force Composition, Short Version: Create a mercenary force according to the rules (or ask the GM for one). Pick two units from that force to bring to the battle. (If you submit these to the GM by Thursday there is no BV limit. After that, max 2500 BV.)

Terrain: The battle will be played on a 4'x6' table (2" hexes) with minimal forestation. Setup will be along the player's choice of short edge, with the players placing their units anywhere on their half of the map. If turnout is high we will split players evenly between two tables.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #51 on: 04 December 2017, 10:34:48 »
I need automation that posts my games in all the places at once...

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #52 on: 05 December 2017, 23:15:06 »
I need automation that posts my games in all the places at once...

The Dennis 9000

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #53 on: 06 December 2017, 11:47:11 »
I don't know if a copy/paste a week after the fact counts as "automation".

But I do like the "9000".

I mean, do you want a Pentium 200 or a Pentium 9000.

Do you want a Ninja Blender 2, or a Ninja Blender 9000.

There must be some truth to Bigger is Better.

I think the Death Star proves that, after all, I don't think anyone would organize a fleet to attack the "kind of dangerous satellite".

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #54 on: 10 December 2017, 00:43:55 »
Thanks for the fun game Joel.  :)

So quick overview of today's battle.

West Table:   Volunteer/Guest GM (Me)

3 Player Forces  (6 Mechs, 2 BA)
Thunder-1L-TC (3/4)
IS Standard BA-LRR (4/5)
Uziel-8S-D (3/5)
Racturion-D5 (3/4)
Viking-3W (3/4)
Gurkha-8G (3/4)
6-Longinus-Magnetic (4/5)

GM Op-4  (8 Mechs, 3 Hovers, 1 BA)   (All 3 Gunners w/ 4 or 5 Pilots)
Enfield
Centurion-9D
Legionnaire-Raul
Venom-9KA
Hussar-950D
Hermes-3S
Raptor-OF
Locust-3M
J-Edgar-TAG
Harasser-Laser
Savannah Master
IS Standard-BA-Laser

The Players set up on the map between 1/4 & 1/2 way onto the field. 
GM Forces entered on Turn-1 & set about dodging lots of fire.
There was no Walking, there wasn't even jumping very much, just a lot of Run+Shoot or Sprint/Evade

The Player forces took minor damage all game, I'm not sure if there was even any internal hits.
The most I could do is force a couple PSR's of which I don't think they failed a single one & if they did it was edged.

Turn-2 saw the Savannah Master get off the board.
Turn-3 saw the J-Edgar, Harasser, & Hussar follow it but in turn the Locust & Hermes were both Cored.
Turn-4 saw the Raptor+BA & the Legionnaire get off while the Centurion was Cored & the Enfield lost a leg.
Finally Turn-5 saw the Venom escape (barely) as it probably would have shut down just off the board edge, damn single heat sinks & 2 engine hits.

The Op-4 managed to get about 65% by BV & Units get off the board while 35% was destroyed or missing a leg.
Since over 50% was off the edge there was no salvage, not that anything but the Enfield was in a recoverable condition anyway, so much coring.

Joel corrected my rounding & Earned SP = 90 + Salvage Split from Table East 285 = 375 Total for Table West Players x3

Overall it just came down to LOTS of running & dodging because none of the units could afford to stand up fight with the monsters that the players brought.
Of the 4 mechs that made it off the table with the Hovers & BA, all had taken damage, a couple were a turn away from splatsville.
I think only the Hussar was pristine & the Raptor was in decent condition, the Enfield was near pristine great except that whole missing leg issue  ;)
The Legionnaire & Venom were hurting at Moderate/Severe levels respectively.

The Op-4 MVP was the Hussar,  40/40 Damage going out in 2 turns & off the board on Turn-3.
The Player MVP was a toss up between the Thunder of Team Yankee & the mobile mediums of the Tasmanian Devils (Uziel/Centurion) the 3 of them had to deal w/ the bulk of my bigger units & while they only stopped a couple they did well given the potential to be over run on that side.

« Last Edit: 10 December 2017, 00:55:20 by Hellraiser »

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #55 on: 10 December 2017, 01:16:44 »
The "East" table had a bit different style of fight going on from what I could see/hear.

3 Player Forces v/s GM Joel

Players (6 BIG Mechs + 4 BA)
Atlas-II-7D-H2
Atlas-7D
Fafnir-5
Fafnir-5
Tempest-3M
Grigori-O-Invictus
Grenadier-II
3x Marauder-BA

GM Forces  (12 Units, 9 Mechs, 3 BA ??)
Perseus-O-?
Warhammer-8M
BlackHawk-O-E
Wraith-TR2
Chameleon
Firestarter-O
Hermes-II?
Mongoose-66?
Tarantula
Phalanx BA
2x Longinus BA-Magnetic

The Wraith, Chameleon, & Tarantula along with the 3 BA Units got off the field.

3 Mechs were cored IIRC & unrecoverable for anything but parts.  (Whammer, Firestarter-O, & Hermes-II, IIRC)

The 2 Omni's & the Mongoose were recoverable as Salvage & earned all players & guest GM a split of 285 SP Each.

All 3 mechs were recovered by the players at that table.
IIRC......... JJ=BlackHawkKU-OE,  RL=Mongoose,  AL=Perseus-O

Pretty sure some of the players units took enough damage to put them out some games.

35% got off the board so SP reward from Victory Conditions is 60% = 180 SP + 285 SP Salvage = 465 SP Total Earned for Table East & Guest GM.

This fight had some more stand & deliver units than my table did.
Perseus + Whammer + BlackHawk are all some good damage dealers, not counting the other 2 units that I can't recall what they were.
So more damage to the player mechs but also managed to not get 50% off the board, but per Joel several units went down to lucky hits/stacks/crits.

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #56 on: 10 December 2017, 03:25:43 »
I have to say I was disappointed with another game that lasted 4 rounds.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #57 on: 10 December 2017, 10:59:02 »
While I agree that our games should go longer than that, it should be noted that the game was over on the 5th round early, mission accomplished, as opposed to the normal, only managed to get 5 rounds in, by the time the store closed.

I'm not sure how many turns got played on Joel's table but they played till the very end of the night.

This was mostly due to difference in OP4 units & player split.
He had things that you can fight with, where I had things that went internal or cored on a single PPC hit.

We discussed the possibility of having a rule where you can't leave till X-turn or till after you do X-Damage but in turn the units of the OP4 would need to be tailored being more "skirmisher/striker" focused compared to the plethora of "recon" type units that were on the board.

I'm also beginning to think the 85% BV limit needs to be raised to 90%+ &/or the GM forces need edge but in turn a lot of care needs to be put into the actual mission goals & terrain because we seem to be getting a lot of fights that go clearly 1 way or the other v/s games that are a struggle up till the last turn or 2.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #58 on: 18 December 2017, 14:37:11 »
Campaign Update: Airfield Defense (Dec 9)
Joel's Table:  (Alex, Robert, Jason J, plus GM Dennis)
Enemy got <40% past = 180 SP
Salvage:

Black Hawk KU E (50% = 900) [Jason J; 2 games]
    Perseus P1 B (25% = 563) [Alex; 3 games]
    Mongoose MON-66 (50% = 250) [Robert; 2 games]

Dennis's Table:  (James, Jared, John D)
Enemy got <70% past = 90 SP
Salvage: None

1713 Total SP in Salvage / 6 Players = 285 SP Each.

Alex, Robert, Jason J, plus GM Dennis get 465 SP each.
James, Jared, John D get 375 SP each

Repairs: My notes are missing player damage. Please email me either a summary of your damage, or use the campaign rules to determine the number of games your units will spend in the repair bay and send that.

Lessons learned: I can't make people play faster, but I can set a minimum damage/minimum rounds before escape on all escape/breakthrough missions.
« Last Edit: 18 December 2017, 14:38:56 by Joel47 »

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #59 on: 19 December 2017, 16:40:29 »
Lessons learned: I can't make people play faster, but I can set a minimum damage/minimum rounds before escape on all escape/breakthrough missions.

Agreed.

I think next time we will have to create some sort of list of units that are both mobile & hard to kill

To use clan examples....  We need more Grendels & Storm Crows in the forces, not Firemoths/Mistlynxs or Warhawks.
Or we need a mix of Firemoths & Warhawks, but basically being able to fight & run v/s just run.