Author Topic: Old books, new rules  (Read 2045 times)

Jellyjoker

• Recruit
Old books, new rules
« on: 23 October 2017, 11:26:29 »
It's been a long time since I played (about 10 years) and I use to post on the old CBT forums back then as well. Anyway, I have the old 4Th edition box set from FASA and the Fanpro revised edition Classic Battletech Master Rules (hard bound and everything!). What I'm wondering is, what has changed rules wise in the last decade?

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Old books, new rules
« Reply #1 on: 23 October 2017, 11:32:12 »
Very little, at least when it comes to 'Mechs. The newest rulebook, BattleMech Manual, contains updated wording for most rules but rules themselves are not fundamentally changed.

Vehicles got a bit more changes from FASA era to FanPro/Catalyst era. Aerotech rules are overhauled from FASA era

I recommend picking up BMM for up-to-date 'Mechs only rules, has good amount of optional rules (like simple smoke and fire and artillery) while being easy to read.

Jellyjoker

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 23 October 2017, 11:36:49 »
Good to know my books are still viable. If I would have had to re buy everything that would have been the end. I've got Aerotech2 (as well as the original Aerotech and Battlespace, not to mention the Mechwarrior RPG). I'll defiantly be looking into getting the new rule book.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 23 October 2017, 11:39:45 »
Aerotech got overhauled for Total Warfare apparently.
So that's not compatible. But 'Mech stuff is basically compatible.

Jellyjoker

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: 23 October 2017, 11:43:00 »
Then Total Warfare seems to be my first priority then since they are the most different. Thanks for the info.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 23 October 2017, 11:51:23 »
Total Warfare is full tournament rules yeah. All basic unit types, Mechs infantry vehicles support vehicles protomechs battle armor small aerospace.

Note that getting physical book is very difficult at the moment. PDF is easier.

Jellyjoker

• Recruit
« Reply #6 on: 23 October 2017, 11:57:50 »
Note that getting physical book is very difficult at the moment
Looking on amazon, I noticed that. I guess I'll have to settle for the PDF, I'll have to get it printed though (I'm a massive bibliophile).

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #7 on: 23 October 2017, 12:55:12 »
While Total Warfare is good, your best purchase is the new Battlemech Manual.

This is a rulebook which covers just mechs, along with all the new tech (TW is about a decade old now, so is missing a lot of tech that is piecemeal in a number of sources).

Overall, there are 4 or so BIG changes regarding mechs coming from the old BMR(r) (Off the top of my head):
  • Partial cover is +1, full body table, leg hits don't do damage (This is the biggest one)
  • Physical attack weapons have an easier time hitting (depending on the weapon)
  • Hip actuator hits are done a little differently
  • Calculations for charge to-hit numbers are a little different
  • Forward and backwards movement in the same turn is a little different

Note: This is off the top of my head, so I may be mis-remembering one or two of these. Biggest one is the partial cover change.

Vehicle hits is a very different beast.

No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 23 October 2017, 12:56:22 »
AMS is -4 to missile cluster hits rather than random.
Caused some hilariously over-AMS-ammoed 'Mechs nowadays...

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 23 October 2017, 13:09:41 »
I think my local store has a copy of Total Warfare it managed to find. If they do I will get you some contact info. Maybe they would be agreeable to ship it.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #10 on: 23 October 2017, 14:17:51 »
AMS is -4 to missile cluster hits rather than random.
Caused some hilariously over-AMS-ammoed 'Mechs nowadays...

It also uses only 1 shot per use, not 1d6/2d6 shots. 1 ton of ammo per AMS is now plenty for a long battle.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 23 October 2017, 14:32:58 »
That's why i said it results in hilarious over-ammoed 'Mechs.
One ton for old AMS didn't last long at all. Now one ton may be an overkill, two tons is almost certainly. And let's now talk about those three tons...

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #12 on: 23 October 2017, 16:08:48 »
It also uses only 1 shot per use, not 1d6/2d6 shots. 1 ton of ammo per AMS is now plenty for a long battle.

It makes a lot of sense now for the Komodo. Before it was almost a waste of tonnage for dual AMS.

Yes.  -4 on the missile chart, has a near 50% chance of shooting down a single large missile. Only takes 1 ammo.

Demo team agent #772

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #13 on: 23 October 2017, 20:48:53 »
Someone had compiled a complete list of changes from BMR to TW in a .doc file that was floating around an old permutation of the boards. Someone here must have it on hand

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #14 on: 24 October 2017, 07:16:54 »
I wrote a post that may help you out. Returning players, please read this post. I think it may have the differences out there, but I can't say for sure.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

snrdg091012

• Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 24 October 2017, 10:08:17 »
Hello Jellyjoker,

It's been a long time since I played (about 10 years) and I use to post on the old CBT forums back then as well. Anyway, I have the old 4Th edition box set from FASA and the Fanpro revised edition Classic Battletech Master Rules (hard bound and everything!). What I'm wondering is, what has changed rules wise in the last decade?

In short the latest BT core rule books condense all the FASA/FanPro/WizKid material into seven books.

Hopefully my summary of the books below is closer to being accurate rather than totally out to lunch.

1. Total Warfare (TW) covers Mech combat between BattleMechs and any combination of BattleMechs, IndustrialMechs, ProtoMechs, Combat Vehicles, Support Vehicles, Infantry, Conventional/Aerospace Fighters, Small Craft, and DropShips.

2. TechManual (TM) is for gear heads covering the construction of BattleMechs, IndustrialMechs, ProtoMechs, Combat Vehicles, Support Vehicles, Infantry, Conventional/Aerospace Fighters, Small Craft, and DropShips.

3. Tactical Operations (TO) expands the rules in TW and the TM rules for support vehicle construction.

4. Strategic Operations (SO) focuses on Aerospace rules for Conventional/Aerospace Fighters, Small Craft, and DropShips. The book also has the construction rules for JumpShips, Warships, and Space Stations with the rules to run them in a campaign.

5. A Time of War (AToW) is the RPG piece.

6. Interstellar Operations (IO) provides rules for combat covering the history of the BT Universe from the rise of the Star League 2300 to the Dark Age Era as of 3150. The rules provide ways to have retro-tech, prototype and advanced equipment. There are rules for the construction several systems which include LAMs, Tripod Mechs, and the Word of Blake super Jump system.

7. The BattleMech Manual (BMM) as has been mentioned cleans up BattleMech combat.

While I like physical copies of books I've only purchased two hardcover and then picked all seven up as electronic/PDF copies. If you are a gear head then purchasing the Heavy Metal BT construction applications would help in building your own stuff.
Tom R (aka snrdg091012)

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #16 on: 24 October 2017, 11:57:55 »
While I like physical copies of books I've only purchased two hardcover and then picked all seven up as electronic/PDF copies. If you are a gear head then purchasing the Heavy Metal BT construction applications would help in building your own stuff.

I hate to say it, but don't get the Heavy Metal stuff. It is missing a lot of equipment. people have made custom weapons entries to help it, but it is really out of date.

Your best bet is the MegaMek Lab (http://megameklab.sourceforge.net/)
Demo team agent #772

snrdg091012

• Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 24 October 2017, 13:57:59 »
Hello RoundTop,

I hate to say it, but don't get the Heavy Metal stuff. It is missing a lot of equipment. people have made custom weapons entries to help it, but it is really out of date.

Your best bet is the MegaMek Lab (http://megameklab.sourceforge.net/)

Thank you for the information that the Heavy Metal design aids are really out of date. I'll admit to not using my stuff recently so I'm a bit out of touch. One of the reason I included the Heavy Metal stuff is in both my hard cover and PDF copies of TM.

Oops, I should have asked if you know what the latest release of megameklab that should be downloaded.
« Last Edit: 24 October 2017, 14:23:30 by snrdg091012 »
Tom R (aka snrdg091012)

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
Demo team agent #772

snrdg091012

• Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 24 October 2017, 16:05:25 »
Hello again RoundTop,

https://sourceforge.net/projects/megameklab/files/megameklab/MegaMekLab%200.1.49/

This one. 0.1.49.

Thank you for the version number which means I have the right one now.
Tom R (aka snrdg091012)

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 24 October 2017, 16:12:53 »
The most current version of MegaMekLab can be found on GitHub and has far more support for Tripods and other fun things. The version that was linked to (0.1.49) is seriously dated.

https://github.com/MegaMek/megameklab/releases

snrdg091012

• Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: 24 October 2017, 16:50:49 »
Hello pheonixstorm,

The most current version of MegaMekLab can be found on GitHub and has far more support for Tripods and other fun things. The version that was linked to (0.1.49) is seriously dated.

https://github.com/MegaMek/megameklab/releases

Thank you for the correct link and I did notice the link on sourceforge, but then I could not find any thing to download.
Tom R (aka snrdg091012)