Author Topic: Dakka is talking about the return of the unseen, where is the thread here?  (Read 11998 times)

Von Jankmon

• Lieutenant
  • Everyone is entitled to my opinions
It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. By the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
Here you go  O0

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/general-discussion/drop-pod-sequence-initiatedthree-two-one!-(the-announcements-finally)/

The link in the first post will get you some pictures, just scroll down past the IO Beta announcement.
« Last Edit: 26 July 2015, 07:23:42 by Saint »
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

Von Jankmon

• Lieutenant
  • Everyone is entitled to my opinions
Ok, wierd thread title, thats why.

I honestly thought that was going to be about drop pods, which would make good scenario objectives in later era games in the aftermath of warship battles.
It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. By the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
I figure, once IWM has something to say about it, we'll Hear it.  I just HOPE we'll see these reimaged Classics in METAL!!   [drool]
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Personally, I'd prefer them in plastic. The nuPlastics such as the intro box are really good, and it's soooo much easier modding the plastics.

My 2 M-bills.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Sounds like both . . . but the plastics are very likely to first appear in the Alpha Strike Box.  They just have not told us which will be the 12 IS mechs.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
I am hoping both.

Plastics mechs for the ease of fielding a mini on a table with an undercoat and a lick of paint (or even unpainted) and a multi-part pewter mini that allows for posing and customising (like other recent mech releases from IWM). Also hoping we will be given the opportunity to fan fund some the pewter minis but I will understand if IWM decide that they want to do it all in-house (noting that the current round of fan funded minis appear to be considered IWM online exclusive items not general distribution items).
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Ryumyo

• Warrant Officer
  • Out site seeing...
I'll take them in METAL, thank you very much.

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
Totally METAL!  [rockon]
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
I'll take plastic due to costs. I can get three plastics for the cost of one metal miniature. More bang for my buck.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Dragon41673

• Captain
    • Aries Games & Miniatures
It was just announced on Facebook...plastic. Doesn't mean IWM won't do them, but they will debut in plastic.
Owner - Aries Games & Miniatures

abou

• Captain
The question is then, if they debut in plastic how easily can I get them? Would a box similar to the Reinforcements from 3rd edition be produced so I can get just the miniatures and nothing else?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
12 of them will likely end up in the Alpha Strike Box along with a binary of Clan Omnis, the whole company vs binary having repeatedly been announced.  Question is which 12 to match up with the selected original Omnis?

Which does not mean they will not be doing more Alpha Strike Lance Packs with the Classics.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
Based on the intro box experience, I'd expect to see the new minis coming out in additional lance packs. Whether they're half new & half existing plastic minis, or just new plastics, remains conjecture at this point.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
Honestly, I feel that the old FASA/Ral Partha-era original lance packs need to be re-released (well, with the reimagined designs; you all know what I mean).  They had a nice selection and feel to them and to this day are the standard against which I measure certain lance-types.
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra                                                      --C. Love
--A. Duritz

GRUD

• Captain
With any Luck, when IWM releases them they will recreate the old RP Lance Box Sets with these new ones!   [drool]

I've been "Roosterboyed" due to my dialup.  #P
« Last Edit: 28 July 2015, 20:09:36 by GRUD »
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
Better Roosterboy'ed than BOHICA'ed ;)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Well, if they repeat the Alpha Strike Lance Pack set up we could see . . . 2 Classics and 2 of the 'new' plastics from the original Lance Packs.
Colt Ward

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
It'd be useful if they did 2 Classics, and 2 of the new Lance Pack figures.

Or better still, just 4 Classics  [drool]

Remove

• Master Sergeant
It was just announced on Facebook...plastic. Doesn't mean IWM won't do them, but they will debut in plastic.

What sad, sad news. Plastic?

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
Nothing wrong with plastics at this juncture.  The last boxed set and Alpha Strike Lance Packs have all been superb and with a little cutting, you can pose a lot of them however you like.  I'm excited honestly.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
What sad, sad news. Plastic?

You're welcome to your personal opinion. And if the only plastics you've seen are the old intro box plastics, or the even older 3rd Ed or CityTech plastics, I would be more inclined to agree with you.

But I'd be interested in reasons for preferring metal over the current intro/box or lance pack plastics that are not purely subjective.

GRUD

• Captain
Why is it that those of you that Prefer Plastic REFUSE to understand that some of us simply Prefer Metal?   ???

And In General, why do a lot of people that prefer Plastic act like those of us that prefer Metal are nearly Manic about being anti-plastic and are constantly raging Against plastic, when in fact it generally seems to be the Opposite.  I've seen MANY more posts by those that Love Plastic raging against Metal minis and those that like them, than I have the other way around.   :-\

Personally, I've seen ALL the plastics, from the original PlasTech and 3rd Ed. BT and 2nd Ed. CT Plastics, to the plastics in the last 2 Box Sets.  While I agree the newer ones look a bit better (some CONSIDERABLY better), to ME they're still "Just Plastic".  I'll keep the ones I've got, but I haven't bought any of the AS Lance packs, and I Refuse to do so.  They're OK, but I simply Prefer Metal minis.  While I'm sure I might still have a few around, I quit playing with plastic toy soldiers DECADES ago.   :D

Almond Joy's got nuts, Mounds don't.  Some people prefer plain M&Ms, some prefer Almond/Peanut/Peanut Butter.  Agree to disagree, and all that.   O0

"It Is What It Is."
"Just Let It Go!"

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
Then by the same measure, some people prefer plastic over metal. Knock it off, no one is saying you're a horrible person for preferring metal.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
I am glad we have both plastic and pewter.

I would like to see the classics mechs available in both forms - one piece plastics which are cheap, quick to paint up and throw onto a tabletop (even throw them on a tabletop unpainted), then multi-piece pewter minis that can be custom posed or with extra bits to model variants.

I know, I am weird, a heretic and I had better start running from the both lynch mobs now . . .  :D
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

GRUD

• Captain
But I'd be interested in reasons for preferring metal over the current intro/box or lance pack plastics that are not purely subjective.

I was answering this question.   Are we no longer allowed to answer questions?   ???

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
No, you didn't answer the question I asked.

Remove considered plastic minis, and I quote, "sad news". I asked if there were other than subjective reasons - "I like metal" - for calling this sad news. I don't have any problems with Remove, or you, preferring metal as a personal preference. More power to your elbow! But I do object to my personal preference being called "sad".

I find there's little quality difference between the IWM metal and current lance pack plastics. I do have some of both to compare. I find plastic much easier to work with and modify, and at my skill levels I don't get noticably different painting results from metal or new plastic. I also recognise that plastic will never be able to offer the range of choices metal can, thanks to the different up-front costs in producing metal or plastic minis.

Your answer was "I prefer metal". And that's totally acceptable, and I repeat, no-one here's said that's bad. But you've not answered my question which was "other than 'I prefer metal', why would anyone say that having plastic minis was bad?"

Which I personally don't think can be answered at any other level than "I like metal", any more than "I like Jade Falcons" or "I like Capellans" can be debated.

So stop being grumpy, and enjoy GenCon. No-one's criticised metal. I'm just curious why people criticise plastics, rather than saying "both is good in the long run".

W.

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
Personally I prefer metal to plastic if the plastic in question is one piece. In my opinion while the one piece plastics are good they lack the detail of multi piece models. While I would prefer metal I'd be happy with multi piece plastics as I simply feel that they look better (I like the multi piece plastic BattleMaster for example)

That said I'll still buy a bunch of them.
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

Rtifs

• Warrant Officer
I guess I’m a total heretic.  I prefer resin.  Same level of detail as metal, but much easier to work with for assembly and/or reposing.  Glue actually holds them together.  I wouldn’t have to use green stuff and pinning on every joint.

IronSphinx

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Robots!!!
    • PlayBattletech
You're all wrong! We need to bring back the rectangular die cut cardboard figures that needed a plastic clip to stand up on the hexmaps! All 144 'Mechs in one Battletech Reinforcements boxed set AND a booklet with pre-filled out record sheets that we could xerox for our games. Ah, those were the days!  ;)
Charles "IronSphinx" Wilson (CDT #66)
=======================
Want to find a Battletech game in Michigan?
Go to www.playbattletech.org.