Author Topic: Dakka is talking about the return of the unseen, where is the thread here?  (Read 11993 times)

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
But I'd be interested in reasons for preferring metal over the current intro/box or lance pack plastics that are not purely subjective.
I guess my own choice really comes down to nothing more than personal preference.  Now, at one time there was no question that lead or pewter miniatures were better.  They had better, sharper detail, they allowed undercuts in the mold where plastics had to be separate pieces or be "melted" into the surface of the miniature.  These days it harder if not impossible to justify metal as being objectivly better than plastic and for multipart miniatures, I would have to say plastic has some actual advantages (I'd rather put together a 12 part plastic miniature with plastic cement than a 12 part metal miniatures with superglue and pins).

Still... there is something about the feel and weight of a metal miniature that continues to appeal to me.   ^-^

I guess I’m a total heretic.  I prefer resin.  Same level of detail as metal, but much easier to work with for assembly and/or reposing. 
Really?  My own exposure to resin minis has been much different.  I have found them much more brittle than either metal or plastic and much more likely to crack or break during the process of cutting or modding, or to be damaged by dropping.  Now, I am talking about real, hard resin castings.  Not that strange, soft hybrid material (finecast?) GW was using for a while. 
Mike

7th Sword of Light - House Hiritsu - 3rd Bear Guards

Papabees

• Lieutenant
The only "advantage" I find to metal is that if the table is bumped they don't fly everywhere. Otherwise, every consideration that is important to me is covered by plastic. Having minis the quality of the classics done this way should really inject some additional life into the brand. Good time to like Btech.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Hmm . . . point . . . I need to glue some of the sprue into the base of the plastics to give them a bit of weight.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."