Author Topic: WOB Mech packs on Iron wind  (Read 7939 times)

Spenetrator

• Master Sergeant
WOB Mech packs on Iron wind
« on: 13 December 2015, 06:22:53 »
I'm thinking of getting some celestials to play OpFor against my chums, but don't much like the Dominus or invictus variants of the Archangel. I was thinking of getting one of the WOB mech packs from Iron wind but wanted to check which variants were in the pack.

I had assumed they were from the Wolf & Blake starter booklet (so the Archangel would be the Brerith config) can anyone confirm this?

Dragon41673

• Captain
    • Aries Games & Miniatures
Re: WOB Mech packs on Iron wind
« Reply #1 on: 13 December 2015, 09:09:02 »
They are all specials...

Archangel Berith
Seraph Havalah
Deva Achilleus
Grigori Rufus
Preta Kendali
Malak Mi
Owner - Aries Games & Miniatures

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #2 on: 13 December 2015, 09:24:05 »
They are the ones from the Wolf and Blake starterbook.
http://camospecs.com/Unit.asp?ID=973

Spenetrator

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 14 December 2015, 01:44:59 »
Thanks both. :)

Dragon41673

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 14 December 2015, 06:37:34 »
Anytime!

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #5 on: 15 December 2015, 10:30:24 »
They are all specials...

Archangel Berith
Seraph Havalah
Deva Achilleus
Grigori Rufus
Preta Kendali
Malak Mi

Based on the paint jobs used for the photo on the packaging, the two packs of WoB Celestial mechs do indeed seem to be intended to represent the canon Level II - Opacus unit of the elite Opacus Venatori, c.3070-72.  The mech designs are not unique, however, and can also be used to represent standard varients of the Celestials which could be found in any WoB unit presetigious enough to contain Manei Domini mechwarriors.  IIRC, most or all of the mechs in these two packs are the "Infernus" varient of each model.
Mike

7th Sword of Light - House Hiritsu - 3rd Bear Guards

Dragon41673

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 16 December 2015, 07:23:14 »
mdauben

Per the actual product boxes, and what Iron Wind Metals told me before I ordered them for my store years ago...what I said stands. They are labled as such, & have different weapons configurations than the Infernus variants. Not sure which miniatures you were looking at, but most of these special configurations clearly stand out as different than the Infernus.

Sure, you can use an Infernus as the special variants, just like any mech in Battletech, unless of course you're playing a "What you see is what you've got" kind of game.

EDIT: I confused Infernus for Invictus...my bad. See this post below...
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=50253.msg1161706#msg1161706
« Last Edit: 17 December 2015, 07:55:51 by Dragon41673 »

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #7 on: 16 December 2015, 11:19:19 »
mdauben

Per the actual product boxes, and what Iron Wind Metals told me before I ordered them for my store years ago...what I said stands. They are labled as such, & have different weapons configurations than the Infernus variants. Not sure which miniatures you were looking at, but most of these special configurations clearly stand out as different than the Infernus.

Sure, you can use an Infernus as the special variants, just like any mech in Battletech, unless of course you're playing a "What you see is what you've got" kind of game.
What I posted was what I was actually told here on the forum when I brought this question up before. 

As far as the weapons configurations, FWIW over on Sarna they specifically identify the Archangel and Grigori mechs used by the Opacus Venatori as Infernus variants.  Doing a superficial comparison of these two miniatures, at least, to the description of the Infernus variants, they seem to match at least the text for the major weapons systems.  Also, I've never come across a record sheet or even any sort of description of the wepons on a "Morris" varient Preta or a "Cazer" varient Sereph.

Not saying your not right, but there seems to be conflicting information being passed around.  I wonder if there are any WoB experts available to offer some insight?   ???
Mike

Corrinald

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 16 December 2015, 12:11:14 »
What I posted was what I was actually told here on the forum when I brought this question up before. 

As far as the weapons configurations, FWIW over on Sarna they specifically identify the Archangel and Grigori mechs used by the Opacus Venatori as Infernus variants.  Doing a superficial comparison of these two miniatures, at least, to the description of the Infernus variants, they seem to match at least the text for the major weapons systems.  Also, I've never come across a record sheet or even any sort of description of the wepons on a "Morris" varient Preta or a "Cazer" varient Sereph.

Not saying your not right, but there seems to be conflicting information being passed around.  I wonder if there are any WoB experts available to offer some insight?   ???

The custom variants used by the Opacus Venatori are modified versions of the Infernus variants. The Miniatures in the WoB mech packs accurately portray the custom ones or the Infernus, as the weapon placements are nearly identical. The record sheets for the Opacus Venatori variants are in the Wolf and Blake Starterbook.

Dragon41673

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 16 December 2015, 21:41:27 »

No problem, wasn't aware there was another discussion about this same subject.

As far as the OV using Infernus variants, they may well have, but these specific variants are custom ones, piloted by specific people as listed in the Starterbook: Wolf and Blake as Corrinald stated.

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: 17 December 2015, 00:20:21 »
  Also, I've never come across a record sheet or even any sort of description of the wepons on a "Morris" varient Preta or a "Cazer" varient Sereph.

SB:W&B is what you're looking for. Record sheets were included at the back of the book. Malak Mi, Preta Kendali, etc.

Would you care to demonstrate this? It's not what I've seen, and I've handled a lot of those Celestials. The minis themselves match the Infernus loads. In most cases, the differences between the Infernus and pilot-specific load outs are negligible. Give a different coloured glow to a weapon, and it could be a Plasma Rifle, a SNPPC, or a LVSPL, no problem. Got a LPPC? Then that mini shouldn't be using a part that is otherwise consistently used as a HPPC across the Celestials. Unless it's not supposed to be a LPPC. The Preta has just this issue. The Kendali config mounts a LPPC + capacitor. The Infernus mounts a HPPC. Likewise, the Seraph Havalah mounts a LVSPL while its Infernus counterpart mounts a HPPC in the same place (left arm). The significance here is that the Deva Achilleus also mounts LVSPLs (or ERPPCs for the Infernus), which look quite different from what the Havalah got. If you want to say they're pilot-specific loads because of how they're listed, then you've got to explain why there are suddenly inconsistencies in how weapons are portrayed - inconsistencies that somehow just happen to match the Infernus configs.

Links to the Preta, Deva, and Seraph, as presented in the Starterbook:
http://www.camospecs.com/Miniature.asp?ID=3869
http://www.camospecs.com/Miniature.asp?ID=3866
http://www.camospecs.com/Miniature.asp?ID=3870

Spenetrator

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 17 December 2015, 03:30:41 »
In fairness guys, let's not get het up about this. If the answer to the question- is the model used for berith's ride (as depicted in the Wolf and Blake starterbook) in the Wobbie mech packs?  - is yes, then the rest is largely moot. :)

Dragon41673

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 17 December 2015, 06:51:58 »
SB:W&B is what you're looking for. Record sheets were included at the back of the book. Malak Mi, Preta Kendali, etc.

Would you care to demonstrate this? It's not what I've seen, and I've handled a lot of those Celestials. The minis themselves match the Infernus loads. In most cases, the differences between the Infernus and pilot-specific load outs are negligible. Give a different coloured glow to a weapon, and it could be a Plasma Rifle, a SNPPC, or a LVSPL, no problem. Got a LPPC? Then that mini shouldn't be using a part that is otherwise consistently used as a HPPC across the Celestials. Unless it's not supposed to be a LPPC. The Preta has just this issue. The Kendali config mounts a LPPC + capacitor. The Infernus mounts a HPPC. Likewise, the Seraph Havalah mounts a LVSPL while its Infernus counterpart mounts a HPPC in the same place (left arm). The significance here is that the Deva Achilleus also mounts LVSPLs (or ERPPCs for the Infernus), which look quite different from what the Havalah got. If you want to say they're pilot-specific loads because of how they're listed, then you've got to explain why there are suddenly inconsistencies in how weapons are portrayed - inconsistencies that somehow just happen to match the Infernus configs.

Links to the Preta, Deva, and Seraph, as presented in the Starterbook:
http://www.camospecs.com/Miniature.asp?ID=3869
http://www.camospecs.com/Miniature.asp?ID=3866
http://www.camospecs.com/Miniature.asp?ID=3870

Sure...here's an easy one since they were painted by you...

Malak Invictus
http://www.camospecs.com/Miniature.asp?ID=4494

Malak Mi
http://www.camospecs.com/Miniature.asp?ID=7232

And another...

Preta Invictus
http://www.camospecs.com/Miniature.asp?ID=4495

Preta Kendali
http://www.camospecs.com/Miniature.asp?ID=6665

As you can see, there are differences in the load outs, be it slight or glaring is a matter of opinion. In either case...there is a difference.

In fairness guys, let's not get het up about this. If the answer to the question- is the model used for berith's ride (as depicted in the Wolf and Blake starterbook) in the Wobbie mech packs?  - is yes, then the rest is largely moot. :)

I agree, let me know if you want clearer photos of the mech pack boxes and I will shoot them over to you.

EDIT: I confused Infernus for Invictus...my bad. See this post below...
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=50253.msg1161706#msg1161706
« Last Edit: 17 December 2015, 07:56:27 by Dragon41673 »

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #13 on: 17 December 2015, 07:21:30 »
In both of those examples, you linked to the Invictus configuration and not the Infernus configuration. As an example, the Malak Invictus doesn't have a retractable blade.

If the mini on CSO has been modified to show a different configuration, it will be mentioned 99% of the time.

Psycho is correct. The configurations are different but it is things like swapping one type of PPC for another or changing an ER laser to a pulse or VSPL. Weapon count and general type stay the same. The minis can work for either the Infernus versions or the W&B versions.

Dragon41673

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 17 December 2015, 07:31:48 »
In both of those examples, you linked to the Invictus configuration and not the Infernus configuration. As an example, the Malak Invictus doesn't have a retractable blade.

If the mini on CSO has been modified to show a different configuration, it will be mentioned 99% of the time.

Psycho is correct. The configurations are different but it is things like swapping one type of PPC for another or changing an ER laser to a pulse or VSPL. Weapon count and general type stay the same. The minis can work for either the Infernus versions or the W&B versions.

Sorry for any confusion, the entire time I've been talking about the available miniatures while confusing the designation of the mini.

When speaking of the current miniatures available from IWM, I was in fact referring to the Invictus versus the special variants in the WoB packs. I mixed up Invictus for Infernus.

Thanks for the catch Cavingjan!

EDIT: I edited my post above to reflect the Invictus listings
« Last Edit: 17 December 2015, 07:37:21 by Dragon41673 »

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #15 on: 17 December 2015, 15:22:41 »
Thanks to everyone who chimed on on the subject! 

I actually bought the two packs of Celestial mechs a while ago.  I originally bought them with the idea of using them as part of a Shadow Division unit.  Then when I realized they were supposed to represent the OV mechs, I thought I'd make that unit.  Then someone told me they were the same as the Infernus varients I was back to the Shadow Divisions!

Now I just need to buckle down and paint them as something!   ;D
Mike

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #16 on: 17 December 2015, 17:22:49 »
Shadow divisions look better but much harder to paint. Good luck with whichever you decide.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #17 on: 17 December 2015, 17:40:51 »
Shadow divisions look better but much harder to paint.

Which is why I did Blake Militia, and will be doing Light of Mankind ... ;)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #18 on: 17 December 2015, 18:29:15 »
Shadown Division is easier than WoB militia.  :D I hate painting white.

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #19 on: 18 December 2015, 09:56:57 »
Shadow divisions look better but much harder to paint. Good luck with whichever you decide.
Not sure that the OV would really be any easier.  Both of them involve black/dark grey shading to light grey/white.   The Shadow Divisions are just from bottom to top of the whole mech, while the OV are body out to arms and legs. 
Mike

Spenetrator

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: 18 December 2015, 11:54:15 »
Not sure that the OV would really be any easier.  Both of them involve black/dark grey shading to light grey/white.   The Shadow Divisions are just from bottom to top of the whole mech, while the OV are body out to arms and legs.

An airbrush is your friend for those units!

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #21 on: 18 December 2015, 12:09:51 »
OV is much easier if you shortcut it as a white faded into the grey and not a true gradient. Drybrushing is all you really need to do to accomplish the look on the arms and legs

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #22 on: 18 December 2015, 20:13:48 »
Now I just need to buckle down and paint them as something!   ;D

My vote?  Bright pink with purple highlights!  Maybe lime-green cockpits and/or panel lines?   :D
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #23 on: 21 December 2015, 10:21:19 »
My vote?  Bright pink with purple highlights!  Maybe lime-green cockpits and/or panel lines?   :D
Hmmmm.... what Wobbie division is that?   ;D
Mike

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #24 on: 21 December 2015, 15:14:11 »
Hmmmm.... what Wobbie division is that?   ;D
The Party Division.  ;)
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

GRUD

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 21 December 2015, 20:02:45 »
The Party Division.  ;)

Aka, The Glee Division!   :D
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Spenetrator

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: 22 December 2015, 02:43:51 »
Aka, The Glee Division!   :D

*shudders*

GRUD

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: 22 December 2015, 02:46:32 »

GRUD

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: 23 December 2015, 04:52:31 »
Now you know/understand why the WoB Shadow Divisions are the most Hated or Feared Units in the BT Universe!   >:D