Author Topic: Land-Air Mechs: a Vision  (Read 16672 times)

aka_mythos

• Corporal
Re: Land-Air Mechs: a Vision
« Reply #60 on: 21 March 2011, 14:54:16 »
That I think would get too complicated for IWM.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #61 on: 21 March 2011, 20:13:31 »
Its understandable people want all three-versions of the LAMs, but i think cost of production may need to be addressed.  Maybe to keep cost down, that the Air-MEch mode for Mk Is should only be used for now.

Keep mindful, that other WoB will be out day too.  My experience with the Project Phoenix Mechs assembly was not fun.  Having less parts to have put together maybe better as well.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

aka_mythos

• Corporal
« Reply #62 on: 22 March 2011, 05:56:06 »
...Having less parts to have put together maybe better as well.
Maybe I'm missing it, but as far as I've read no ones really suggested piles of little parts. So I don't think you need to worry.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #63 on: 22 March 2011, 06:35:19 »
Its understandable people want all three-versions of the LAMs, but i think cost of production may need to be addressed.  Maybe to keep cost down, that the Air-MEch mode for Mk Is should only be used for now.

Keep mindful, that other WoB will be out day too.  My experience with the Project Phoenix Mechs assembly was not fun.  Having less parts to have put together maybe better as well.
That's why I suggested reusing sections for each of the modes, if sculpted just right, the parts for the ASF and battlemechs modes would be serviceable for use on the air mech mode, so you get three sculpts for the price of two. (granted that's an ovesimplification, since that would have to be part of the design, but it would still likely not be as complicated and expensive as all three modes being done 100% from scratch)

Also a torso/fuselage arms and legs is only 4 sections, not too horrible.  I think one of the LAMs has some exhaust (or maybe it's intake) manifolds that rotate between the modes, but even if those are added as separate parts, they aren't load bearing, so they wouldn't cause too many troubles (unlike having to glue hips and ankles)

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #64 on: 08 April 2011, 16:02:47 »
for those that didn't know I got a final price on the Wasp, Stinger, and Pixie LAMs.  check out the fan funding thread for details
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk