Author Topic: New and Upcoming Releases, Vol. X: All Systems Nominal...ish  (Read 217679 times)

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
Re: New and Upcoming Releases, Vol. X: All Systems Nominal...ish
« Reply #840 on: 23 October 2017, 11:24:46 »
This was proposed by the devs themselves several years back. A group of fans on this forum lost their collective shit so loudly that the whole idea was scrapped. You know the phrase 'once bitten, twice shy'? The hand that CGL used to offer to the public was bitten off at the shoulder.

I remember it well... and sometimes worry I participated. I'm really open to a 3250. I essentially just want to see it through to Ilclan before that happens.

I also really don't see much choice for the future other than a time jump. So I figured we were just not talking about it. But we'll see.

New dev team of brilliant people. Should be fine. The old dev team was brilliant people too.

At the end of the day there just isn't much choice. You've got fans that only 3025 and fans that only 3050. Basically you just have fans that are in the same place that they started... and they're gonna be upset about anything you do really. So you just have to support that player base that wants new stuff.

That's always the problem though. Who are these people who are actively buying battletech stuff and what do they want? Kitsune413 loves him some sea fox stuff, some faction books and some objective books.... and he's not the majority apparently.

So lets make some Hotspots books and some Technical Readouts guys. haha.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

OpacusVenatori

• Master Sergeant
  • Honor above all, Except of Vengance
« Reply #841 on: 23 October 2017, 15:15:24 »
And, as i said, i don't see the Aurigan Coalition being essential anyway. Why not tell a story about FWL or CC noble who tries to rebel or something? Or something like that.
Functionally, BattleMech Manual kinda did that. It is pretty good.

Because THAT really have a chance to screw the canon "great game" as we know it.
While some fight with honor, Others win battles

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #842 on: 23 October 2017, 15:21:01 »
A video game is non-canon anyway, and i'd rather focus on existing factions and things than "made because we want our own mark" stuff.
Supposedly feudal lords in Successor States maneuver for power, so a story about one should not be a big deal, if it doesn't become too big a thing (like what that one Hasek planned).

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #843 on: 23 October 2017, 22:44:24 »
The targe is the pinnacle of 'Mech engineering, and its removal will deprive us of the genius that is leg-mounted ammo and MASC.
Also, he wasn't being serious.

Paul
This, yes.  The joke was that 'without the Targe it's impossible to play BT' but anyway. 
This was proposed by the devs themselves several years back. A group of fans on this forum lost their collective shit so loudly that the whole idea was scrapped. You know the phrase 'once bitten, twice shy'? The hand that CGL used to offer to the public was bitten off at the shoulder.
Was that part of the Free St. Ives thing?  The third-league weapons and such?
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #844 on: 23 October 2017, 22:45:50 »
Was that part of the Free St. Ives thing?  The third-league weapons and such?
No, this was floated separately if I recall correctly

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #845 on: 24 October 2017, 03:43:18 »
Yeah. It was a press release they threw up on the main battletech page and everybody lost it.

I think some of it was timing too. They just dropped the era report for the dark age.

Some of it could have just been a timing issue. Maybe they figured everybody hated the dark age stuff so it would have been fine... but then that Era Report came out and rocked our world's so we all wanted some more of that.

The dark age release was pretty amazing. Era Report and then every few weeks you got hit with part of a TRO. The book was super well written and exciting and we were all just holding our breath for the field report.

Been a strange ride.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #846 on: 24 October 2017, 06:15:53 »
People need to read and digest that.  We will never have a easy transition to new time period and slight changes that may not effect anything bad without people knee jerking.  This behavior is bad for everyone.

I just hope something is announced for us to look forward to vs something being just dropped on us and were left shocked.  Battletech Manual came out of no where, and so TRO: Succession Wars. 

Is that new normal for releases?  Don't tell us, bam 6-months later here it is.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #847 on: 24 October 2017, 07:10:22 »

Yeah, and I'm sorry I didn't respond to say "Please ignore these freakouts."
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #848 on: 24 October 2017, 10:58:10 »
Maybe not the new normal but really Ray was the dude who reached out to the fanbase and was like, "hey this is what we are working on."

But dude is awesome so they made him assistant line developer. And he does layout for alot of other cgl stuff. So he is locked down.

Guys. Just buy tons of battletech stuff. Then they will up staff and it'll all be fine.

Haha. I think one of the craziest things is we've got all these dudes that are like, "I don't like this era."

Buy more battletech stuff. That's where battletech stuff comes from. Your wallets.

Maybe some faction that drops in a video game doesn't exist in your head cannon. That's fine. But buy some stuff so we can get more stuff for you to ignore. Because Battletech is the best.

We are all here becase we lover the minutia of taking battlemechs apart one dot at a time and then going to calculate how much that's going to cost to fix. Can't get that anywhere else.

Punishermark

• Corporal
« Reply #849 on: 24 October 2017, 13:12:57 »
Maybe not the new normal but really Ray was the dude who reached out to the fanbase and was like, "hey this is what we are working on."

But dude is awesome so they made him assistant line developer. And he does layout for alot of other cgl stuff. So he is locked down.

Guys. Just buy tons of battletech stuff. Then they will up staff and it'll all be fine.

Haha. I think one of the craziest things is we've got all these dudes that are like, "I don't like this era."

Buy more battletech stuff. That's where battletech stuff comes from. Your wallets.

Maybe some faction that drops in a video game doesn't exist in your head cannon. That's fine. But buy some stuff so we can get more stuff for you to ignore. Because Battletech is the best.

We are all here becase we lover the minutia of taking battlemechs apart one dot at a time and then going to calculate how much that's going to cost to fix. Can't get that anywhere else.

Buy what????? There is nothing to buy and what they do have is full of errors and mistakes. Game is dead until they get that box set on the shelves of every store.

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #850 on: 24 October 2017, 13:55:42 »
Buy what????? There is nothing to buy and what they do have is full of errors and mistakes. Game is dead until they get that box set on the shelves of every store.
Well, personally, I'm finally getting around to buying some of the lance packs from one of my favourite online game stores and reading through the digital copy of Alpha Strike to work out how to play it, and I'm debating buying a hard copy of Second Succession War to go with the soft copy I bought to read while I was on holiday and then use to update Sarna with. I'm also pondering if Ral Partha Europe will do a sale for Christmas, as there are a few 'Mechs in metal I wouldn't mind picking up. Plus there's that vague idea of a fan-based Historical Turning Points: Davion Civil War thingy I keep pondering trying to put together, or maybe a fannish Operational Turning Points: Kentares to have an excuse together to throw together some scenarios for some Age of War Hegemony Armed Forces/Federated Peacekeeping Forces (Terran March/Terran Brigade) battles, Age of War Terran March/Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery Skirmishes and a couple of First Succession War guerilla battles between remnants of the 7th Crucis Lancers and occupying DCMS units headed up by mad, bad Jinjiro Kurita.
« Last Edit: 24 October 2017, 13:58:41 by BrokenMnemonic »

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #851 on: 25 October 2017, 16:35:48 »
This seems like a good place to put a link to this conversation here: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=57860.0

There's a lot to read and digest there.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #852 on: 25 October 2017, 16:50:04 »
Holy

I just...can it be 2018 NOW?

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #853 on: 25 October 2017, 16:54:29 »
That was informative.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #854 on: 25 October 2017, 17:10:26 »
All I wanna say is...Black Thorns...

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #855 on: 25 October 2017, 17:12:10 »
All I wanna say is...Black Thorns...

Cool unit ( definitely the insignia), good books, terrible ending via orbital destruction.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #856 on: 25 October 2017, 18:39:10 »
Cool unit ( definitely the insignia), good books, terrible ending via orbital destruction.

It was the only way to be sure...

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #857 on: 25 October 2017, 18:46:59 »
Dragon always seems to know how to rustle up some info.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #858 on: 25 October 2017, 19:06:56 »
Stunning...Thank you YingJanshi asking this question and thank you so much Brent Evens for answering our collective questions.

Wow.  So much think about what could be something to come....
3 months of wondering... :P 

I'm sure it will be worth it!! Brent's reply had a lot energy and passion I've been hoping to hear about what is to come.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #859 on: 25 October 2017, 20:17:14 »
Stunning...Thank you YingJanshi asking this question and thank you so much Brent Evens for answering our collective questions.

Wow.  So much think about what could be something to come....
3 months of wondering... :P 

I'm sure it will be worth it!! Brent's reply had a lot energy and passion I've been hoping to hear about what is to come.

It wasn't me that asked, it was Dragon41673, I just read it and thought it would fit in this thread too.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #860 on: 25 October 2017, 20:49:17 »
It wasn't me that asked, it was Dragon41673, I just read it and thought it would fit in this thread too.
Oops. my bad. I'm grateful for you posting it here or we could have missed it.

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #861 on: 25 October 2017, 21:22:56 »
Until there is.  There were no super amazing experimental SLDF mechs lost to the flames of the Succession Wars until TRO 3058 handed us Merlins and Pillagers and Enfields.

Merlin was the example Mech in the construction section of the 2nd Ed Boxed set rules, FYI.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #862 on: 25 October 2017, 23:57:53 »
Wow, Brent's answers to questions are great!
Very interesting. Still a shame about IlClan getting delayed but, man, i'm excited.

Referring to:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=57860.0
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=58851.0

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #863 on: 26 October 2017, 05:53:41 »
Merlin was the example Mech in the construction section of the 2nd Ed Boxed set rules, FYI.

Which I always found very curious.  Makes me want to dig out my 3rd edition rulebook to see what that construction example was and if it ever manifested.
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #864 on: 26 October 2017, 11:27:07 »
Just to give this it's own post: Big thanks to Brent for braving the forums to drop this info here for us. About the only thing we love more than enw products, is communications from the dev team! I know we can be an unceasingly demanding lot, with conflicting and confused opinions, so extra special thanks to Brent (and Ray!) for taking the time to come onto the forums and interact with us.

I know there are fans on Twitter/Facebook/Instagram that also want attention and prefer those platforms, so I personally appreciate when that us folks here on the forums aren't forgotten for the new-hotness social media platforms.

Thanks guys!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #865 on: 26 October 2017, 12:50:06 »
Which I always found very curious.  Makes me want to dig out my 3rd edition rulebook to see what that construction example was and if it ever manifested.

no example in 3e. it allowed them to put the construction rules on two pages

edit: NEW. MAPS.
« Last Edit: 26 October 2017, 16:01:29 by Sartris »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Sigil

• Lieutenant
« Reply #866 on: 27 October 2017, 04:31:27 »
Until there is.  There were no super amazing experimental SLDF mechs lost to the flames of the Succession Wars until TRO 3058 handed us Merlins and Pillagers and Enfields.

McCarron's Armored Calvary (1992) introduced the Devastator, Starslayer and Spector.  TRO 3058 came out in 1995. 

lrose

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #867 on: 27 October 2017, 12:29:11 »
McCarron's Armored Calvary (1992) introduced the Devastator, Starslayer and Spector.  TRO 3058 came out in 1995.

Rhonda Snord's Irregulars (1991) had the Excalibur and Spartan
Black Thorns (1994) had the Shootist

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #868 on: 27 October 2017, 12:35:51 »
The way i hear it, 3058 is sorta compilation TRO? Did it have anything original?

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #869 on: 27 October 2017, 12:38:46 »
3025-3026-era tanks modified with Level 2 tech appeared there first.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Register