Author Topic: (Answered) Machine Gun Arrays and Advanced Point Defense  (Read 3077 times)

Cryhavok101

• Captain
(Answered) Machine Gun Arrays and Advanced Point Defense
« on: 12 September 2016, 23:43:14 »
In regards to the Advanced Point Defense Rules on pg 96-97 of Strategic Operations:

When mounted on an Aerospace Fighter, or other small unit operating on the space map, may a machine gun array (TM pg 228, TW pg 137) with multiple machine guns (TM pg 228, TW pg 98) set to be used as point defense be used to engage capital missiles?

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Machine Gun Arrays and Advanced Point Defense
« Reply #1 on: 21 October 2016, 10:52:58 »
Machine Guns are Point Defense weapons. Putting them into an array does not change this.

Yes, they may be used in Point Defense against Capital Missiles.
-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

Cryhavok101

• Captain
Re: (Answered) Machine Gun Arrays and Advanced Point Defense
« Reply #2 on: 21 October 2016, 12:13:48 »
I am not sure you picked up on what I was asking. Just to make sure:

The rules say that in order for a point defense weapon to engage a capital missile, it must be in a bay of 2 or more (SO pg 97, second column, second paragraph). I checked the errata document and it reinforces this. Aerospace fighters do not use weapon bays (TM pg 195, only small craft and dropships organize weapons into bays). The machine gun array makes them operate very similarly to the weapons bays that other aerospace units use, hence why I wondered if the machine gun array could allow for this.

If, as you say, they don't need to be in bays to affect capital missiles, as per both book and current errata document, will that be reflected in future errata updates?

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: (Answered) Machine Gun Arrays and Advanced Point Defense
« Reply #3 on: 21 October 2016, 12:59:56 »
Ah, I understand. The Bay restriction is because there needs to be a minimum amount of potential damage to be effective.

Yes, Machine Gun arrays count as a "Bay" for the purposes of these rules. This would allow an ASF to use Point Defense against Capital Missiles.
-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.