Author Topic: New Reviews : Prince Hanse and Friends Novels  (Read 5952 times)

theCrowe

• Master Sergeant
New Reviews : Prince Hanse and Friends Novels
« on: 28 February 2014, 05:53:52 »
 :-X SPOILER ALERT:  :-X
the following reviews contain plenty of plot info which may spoil your enjoyment of the books if you have not yet read them and are intending to do so. But if you don't mind by all means read on.

"The Sword and the Dagger" : Ardath Mayhar

The second Book in the Battletech novels series introduces us to Prince Hanse Davion, his buddy Ardan Sortek and their world of politics and war as Hanse tries to defend the Federated Suns against the sinister Maximilian Liao, Chancellor of the Capellan Confederation who is plotting to substitute the Prince with a double to derail his allegiance with Archon Katrina Steiner's Lyran Commonwealth. Ardan uncovers the plot and saves the real Hanse in time to expose the impostor and even has some time along the way to schmooze around the palace of the Steiners with Melissa whom the Prince is secretly engaged to wed as part of the treaty between the two realms. 

While this is perhaps not the most celebrated story in the cannon it does lay the groundwork for the soon to follow Warrior Trilogy in which the Prince, galvanised by the support of the Lyran Commonwealth declares war on the Capellan Confederation. I wouldn't recommend anyone read the subsequent trilogy without first tackling this little story. However that's not to say I wouldn't recommend this one on its own merits.

Our first glimpse into the lives of the rich and famous of 3025 is at best reassuringly familiar as it doesn't look like the future panned out like the Jetsons, and at worst a little disconcertingly medieval as apparently to rule galactic empire one must do so from a stone walled castle, in Hanse's case complete with authentic medieval dungeons. The Chancellor gets his own period Chinese version of the same.

I suppose this fits with the Battletech theme that each successor Lord is an exaggerated cultural icon of his/her realm which usually tracks back to the historical origins and trappings of national identities from earth. If Kurita is a classical Japanese warlord complete with samurai warriors, swords and all, then why shouldn't Hanse live in a Norman castle and have his knights riding in shining battlemechs waring spurs on their heels. Frankly I'm surprised Katrina isn't more overtly Germanic, shouldn't she be seen singing Wagner and decorating her mountain fortress with candlelit christmas trees? Well never mind.

As the story goes there's a good balance of action and character introduction. We learn a lot about the origins of the Prince through Ardan's recollections to Melissa as she plies him for info on her betrothed and we also get a glimpse into royal life for the Steiners. The scenes with Max Liao are a little comical as he rants and raves at his underling incompetents, and the plan to swap the prince with a double is pretty daft to begin with. Then there's a scene where Ardan is captured and tied to a tree in some sacrificial ceremony by some alien monkey men and the less said about that the better really.

The scenes at the beginning with Uchita Tucker in her fighter are a rare glimpse into the lives of aero-jocks and a fire storm of an opening for the book. I was quite disappointed not to get more from her but what we got was great.

I also enjoyed the banter among Ardan's crew Sep, REf and Jarlik, and the fighting on Stein's Folly was handled really well. Dialogue throughout the book was great, no forced exposition and explanation of things for the reader that characters would already know. 

The plot wraps up with a who-can-pilot-the-Prince's-Mech test where the real Hanse is successful and the impostor is revealed to be a poor dude who has been utterly brainwashed by the evil Max Liao. Hanse makes his speech allaying fears and the outbreak of violence saving his political and marital plans with one fell swoop all thanks to his buddy Ardan who concludes he never should've doubted the Prince in the first place. It's all a bit of a happy ending which is fine by me. It's like the end of an Inspector Gadget episode with the hooded claw cursing at the monitor "I'll get you next time Gadget" (that's Liao's line)

All in all it wasn't the epic drama it's set to become but i think I enjoy Mayhar's writing much better than Stackpole's. Her handling of dialogue, exposition and character development are great. Stackpole tends to let his characters monologue to catch the reader up with the events of the previous book which does my head in.

Anyway, a difficult little tale, elegantly handled by a skilled author, not amazing but not at all an effort to read. Thanks to Ardath Mayhar for this one.

*Stackpole's Warrior Trilogy reviews to follow*
« Last Edit: 02 April 2014, 18:44:00 by theCrowe »

theCrowe

• Master Sergeant
Re: New Reviews : Prince Hanse and Friends Novels
« Reply #1 on: 12 March 2014, 20:13:08 »
Warrior: En Garde  Michael A. Stackpole

The Allard Boys, Justin and Dan, sons of the Davion head of intelligence Quintus Allard are introduced to us in their respective military roles as a senior officer in the AFFS serving in the Cappellan March and a mercenary officer serving Patrick Kell in the battalion sized Kell Hounds.

Justin is badly injured in a Liao raid and the subsequent investigation turns up all sorts of evidence of his collaboration with Liao agents, he is accused of treachery, stripped of his rank and exiled, and so goes to Solaris VII to stick it to Davion Mechjocks. His run of victories sees him climb the rankings and eventually come to the attention of Max Liao himself who sends his man Shang to bring him to Sian where he has tea with his old boss Michael Hassek-Davion. All this while killing the man who injured him, shaking off his Dad's spies and dishing out his own rough justice to any Fed-Suns fighter who gets in his way.

Meanwhile in a seemingly unrelated part of the universe the Kell Hounds narrowly escape total destruction in a Kurita raid due to some incomprehensible time/date scam coincidence. They flee into the Combine and do some kind of dangerous K-F drive jumping which puts them in the vicinity of a Heimdal settlement/ base where a dwarf and his mum live. Mellissa Steiner happens to be visiting and so do a bunch of Kurita goons. The Hounds rescue the princess but not before Patrick Kell apparently becomes invincible then dies at the hands of the invincible Yorinaga Kurita. Dan Allard does some heroics and sacrifices his Mech to win the day.

Oh yeah, Andrew Redburn was there too.

ok so what's it all about? So many threads and so tenuous a connection at times that it feels like you're reading two or three books at once, but assuming you have the other two books in the trilogy lined up on your shelf waiting their turn then you'll have enough faith in the author that they'll all come together in the end. Failing that i wouldn't really recommend this one as good book in its own right.

I'll share my thoughts on each main character/story thread in turn starting with Dan Allard. I enjoyed the feel of the battalion sized Kell Hounds, poker game staff meetings and a tight knit family of disgruntled old vets with attitude and history. Great stuff, kinda wish they stayed that way.
The whole Mallory's World story is inciting to begin with, strange as it becomes more familiar and downright confusing as it gets recalled in full. So what is this Mech mojo? Sounds screwy but sure whatever. The whole Ghost-Mech ability has been discussed to death so i'll not go over it again, it is what it is and Stackpole started it here.
Kurita pilots got a bit of bad press here as they are portrayed as bungling fools and frankly whoever keeps putting together entire lances of Panthers is a bungling fool. Even the Genyosha seem to be suffering a Panther obsession at one point. But hey this is a Davion bed time story so lets let the bad guys be fools to keep the kids happy.

Andy Redburn is a likeable guy with a promising career in the AFFS ahead of him, for now he has to babysit the Boss's fiance and try not to let her flirt with him as much as she did with Ardan Sortek. Oh yeah, he shows up too. Andy's story for now is just to be about and represent Justin's old crew. He'll come into his more later.

Justin's kangaroo court trial a Davion's hot-head exile decree for me seemed perfectly credible. I'm a Kurita player so i naturally tend toward believing in any evidence of Davion's fallibility, or humanity for that matter. This being apparently his only mistake EVER i could believe there could come a tragic story out of it. So i was on board with Justin's vengeance quest all the way. Even if he did flip his entire character like a switch to its polar opposite in the blink of an eye. I honestly just put this down to poor character development on Stackpole's part and moved on.

Need i discuss Stackpole and character development?

Justin's story was at times a little melodramatic and often hyperbolic and overly poetic in his delivery of cold blooded Cappellan sponsored comeuppance, but isn't that what Solaris VII as a setting is all about? Entertainment, the BollyWood of battletech. All singing all dancing giant Robot death matches. So lets not get too critical with any suspension of disbelief complaints at this stage. As a friend pointed out the only real question is how Gray Noton became seven time Solaris VII Champion in a Rifleman.

all in all this book is a little fractious and disorienting at times as the stories haven't yet come together but it does lay some solid groundwork for better books to come and at least achieves some entertainment along the way. Not an easy job to establish all the new charters in different locations and keep it together but knowing it's part one of 3 makes all the difference. Don't even pick this one up if you don't have at least the second book to move right on to after. It's not that great but it provides a foundation to allow the rest of the trilogy to stand tall.

Thanks for the hard work to Michael A. Stackpole

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 12 March 2014, 22:30:34 »
"Davion Bed Time story"

;D ;D ;D

Good one.
Made by HikageMaru

theCrowe

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 14 March 2014, 20:09:07 »
"Warrior : Riposte" Michael A. Stackpole

Justin has left Solaris VII behind and now lives it up in Sian at the Capellan Court as Maximillian Liao's personal head of anti-Davion intelligence. Aided by Shang and another guy called Alexi who we eventually learn is an undercover Davion spy. Justin sifts Davion misinformation and does tai-chi in his spare time where he instructs Candace Liao to improve her mobility following a bad combat injury given her by none other than Justin himself. (small universe eh?) They of course fall in love, its only natural.

Meanwhile back in the Commonwealth: Dan Allard visits the monastery  where Morgan Kell has been slacking off for 13 years to inform him of his brother's death at the blood soaked hands of the badest Kurita in the Inner Spear. He responds by whooping a regiment of hounds from the oven and declaring Here's one i prepared earlier. The now regimental sized merc unit is set to face of against Yorinaga's mysterious Genyosha in the war we all know is coming.

And don't forget the Fed-Suns of course. Hanse moves pieces around the board like a chessmaster trying to catch Michael Hasek-Davion in the act knowing he's a traitor but without solid proof. He erects memorials in the park, plans his wedding, books a fancy venue on Terra, sends out invites. yadda yadda yadda.

The Big day arrives, Com-Star host the wedding, an unlikely cavalcade of guests arrive and the inevitable clash of personalities ensues.
Akira Brahe discovers Com-Star's massive star league era BattleMech stash and is rescued by Jamie Wolf, Morgan Kell and Korinage Kurita before the Com-Star guards catch him. They apparently elect not to tell anyone just now, presumably because they all like running around knowing things other people don't know.
At the wedding supper Hanse dishes out the various worlds of the Inner Sphere on the plates like he's already some kind of Star League overlord. He eventually Promises his Wife the Capellan Confederation as a wedding present. How very dramatic of him. All she wanted was a pony.

So with this declaration of war we see the first massive sweep of Davion forces taking Capellan worlds and Max Liao pulling his hair out, Michael Hasek-Davion monologuing and twirling his mustachios like a 1930's  villain and Andrew Redburn kicking butt and taking names. Hanse pulls on a pair of MC HAmmer trousers and dances around the throne room singing "you can't touch this" nah nananah .. nah . nah

In the end, Davion agents get close to concrete evidence of Duke Michael's collaboration with the enemy. Fleeing the closing trap he goes to Max Liao for shelter but Max thinks its all been a double-cross from the beginning and promptly declares him a Davion agent and a traitor and has him executed at the hands (or is that hand) of Justin Xiang-formerly-Allard.
The Duke is dead, long live the Lion.

ok so what's going on here? Stackpole builds the anticipation for the declaration of Hanse's war before dropping us into the thick of it all guns blazing. It's a slow build up, at times I felt like I was reading a romance novel or watching a soap opera. "Whats with all the smoochy woochy" I complained, "I want interstellar battles fought by giants of mechanised future warfare!" But I was there soon enough and as it turns out there's only so much blistering paint and molten ceramic armor flowing in rivulets a guy can take before starting to gloss over the paragraphs looking for more real story.

It seems that barring Myndo Waterly, Stackpole just can't help but throw a romantic bone to any female character he creates. Lets count them off, Salome Ward-check,  Misha Auburn- Check, Jeana Clay- check. Derdre Lear- Check, Romano Liao- check, Candace Liao- check, Omi Kurita- check, Kym Sorrensen- Check. The list goes on and on. Maybe he's just a guy that believes there needs to be a lot more love in the universe to balance out the extra tonnage that makes war in the future but i suspect his novels wont be passing the Bechdel test. I think even Natasha Krensky gets a slight nod to a lost romance in her past at one point in the BOK novels. Anyway this in mind, and given that they were attending a wedding I wasn't at all surprised when Akira Brahe and the somewhat injudicious Miss Allard hooked up for an unlikely fledgling romance. These books were full of such.

Highlights included the wedding speech of course and following that Justin's glass shattering toast/salute and general cold shoulder attitde. Redburn and Delta company's light-mech Badassery was also great.

Not-so-sure awards went to Morgan's new and improved Kell Hounds. I honestly preferred the smaller poker game sized crew who had a real tight knit gritty feel to them. Also, Team Banzai? have I missed something here? What's all that about? Also, more Panther slamming giving the Dracs a bad rap is not my idea of a fair and honest depiction of the illustrious DCMS.

Overall this book was all about the people and less about "cerulean beams of man made lightning etc. etc." which is how it really should be. No change in terms of character arcs and development but I guess that's just how Stackpole writes, the story develops and unfolds around the players and sure Davion kids love heroes and bad guys when they're all happed up in bed hearing a grand tale retold.

In the end Riposte is better book than the first in the series building on its foundations and promising a great finale to come. But how little Victor slept that night after the image of his Uncle's murder rounded off his story time i'll never know. Sweet dreams little prince and thanks again to Michael A. Stackpole for another good read.
« Last Edit: 02 April 2014, 18:40:17 by theCrowe »

thrawn

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 24 March 2014, 05:11:11 »
As always, love your writing style in whatever context I find it! Definitely agree, En Garde isn't much on its own. Having said that, I love the other two parts- having a soft spot for the Davions, i love a nice happy ending!

D
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth and say, 'No, you move'." - Captain America

theCrowe

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 02 April 2014, 19:17:10 »
"Warrior : Coupe" by Michael A. Stackpole

The war is well and truly on and Hanse is still untouchable. His agent on Sian is keeping him abreast of every move and even a  comstar interdiction following the attack on Sarna hasn't slowed him a bit.
Justin's relationship with Candace is getting stronger but his friendship with Shang is fracturing due to the poisonous influence of Romano Liao. Romano has Ridzik offed before he can help the enemy much but that doesn't really help the Capellans much either. In fact not much she ever does ever really helps anyone.

Hanse negotiates the politics of the death of his Brother in law by sending the late Duke's supporters on a fool mission he knows will get them killed, he agonizes over this for all of a paragraph before he remembers he's married to the Archon designate and they have an heir to conceive. Until the 3029 version of clear blue turns up a positive result however Morgan Hasek-Davion is on a short leash.

Justin steals some miracle Myomer, Romano tries to assassinate him, Alexi saves him, Redburn tries to stop him, Justin slaps Redburn down with a particularly stinging effortlessness and makes off with the NAIS research to install all new myomer in the home guards on Sian.

Morgan Kell and his Hounds run about looking for the Yorinaga and the Genyosha who also run about looking for them even though they both know when and where to meet up as they seem to have an appointment regardless of the outcome of any event in the war.

Jeana Clay dies durring an attempt on the Archon's life which she successfully foils. Looks like it was Fredrick Steiner in league with Aldo Lestrade.

Lestrade dies at the hands of his illegitimate offspring and cousin Fred takes a penance mission from the Archon to stop Theodore's push into the Isle of Skye. Duke Fredrick leads the 10th Lyran Guards in the battle and ultimately fails, but Katrina's Heimdall agents blow up enough of the Kenrai's jump ships that the invasion is repulsed. Teddy shoots him in the eye for his trouble. 

News arrives with Hanse from Sian of an impending strike on Kathil's jump ship facilities forces Hanse to send Morgan and Redburn to stop the death commandos. They form the Kathil Uhlans and get the job done admirably before stopping off at Sian on the way home to pick up their buddy.

Meanwhile back on New Avalon Hanse fights some disguised comguards who are trying to make it look like the Death Commandos are attacking the NAIS.

While on Sian the Uhlans release some gas that makes the new myomer equipped Capellan Mechs go all jelly legged and the FedCom boys whoop them with Impunity. Redburn waits in the Mechbay thumbs on triggers for Justin to attempt to reach Yen-Lo-Wang but when he appears he says the magic words "Sic Semper Tyranus" The world stops spinning and you join Andy Redburn in realizing that Justin has been a Davion agent the whole time.
Back on New Avalon MC Hanse calls for the breakdown "STOP! Hammer time! Woaow woaow" As his victory dance continues we can only reflect upon the unassailable nature of his military mind. The only wrinkle in his otherwise flawless plan turned out to be his greatest secret weapon. You most definitely cannot touch this Prince.

Once he doffs his MC Hammer pants and puts on something a little more suited to formal ceremonies The Prince of the single greatest empire in the known Universe distributes some awards, glad hands his underlings and announces his impending progeny. Meanwhile Max Liao suffers a mental break as he watches a video sent from both Hanse Davions (remember that guy from "The Sword and The Dagger") who stick it to him one last time before the men in white coats drag him away.

"But Wait! What about Morgan Kell and Yorinaga Kurita?" I hear no-one cry. "What?" I respond "Was that the same book?" Apparently it was albeit a spurious subplot. The long and th short of it is that Kell fires nary a shot allowing Kurita's hot head to cause a heat shutdown in his mech thus bloodlessly concluding the fight in Kells favour and to Kurita's insurmountable shame. Combine Officers being what they are he promptly goes all Tetsuhara on us ensuring the bloody conclusion we've all been anticipating. Brahe is done with the Dragon and signs on with the Hounds presumably to continue chasing Miss Allard at staff dos.

So, the Warrior Trilogy. What's it all about? I'd say its Grandiose, melodramatic, two dimentional good VS bad, epic Davion fairy-tales in space. Which is fine if you can accept it on those terms. I get the feeling that as the Battletech generations roll on and the clans invade and new mechs and technologies take over, the Jihad follows and the dark age and all, we'll all be looking back on this as an epic tale from the good old days when things were simpler, good guys were pure as snow and the bad guys got what they deserved. And little Victor could sleep safe and sound under his little FedCom emblazoned duvet cover in his little battlemaster PJs content in the knowledge that freedom, justice and human rights would always be defended... at least until the Clans arrive.

So all that remains is for me to say Thankyou once again to Michael A. Stackpole for a fine old tale of daring do which will always be remembered fondly.

« Last Edit: 03 April 2014, 19:16:51 by theCrowe »

Luriael

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 22 September 2014, 10:58:18 »
once again a bit of thread revival;

theCrowe, your reviews are thoroughly enjoyable and you need to read the books faster to churn out more reviews :)

The Warrior trilogy is what introduced me to Battletech. Coming from Starwars I followed Stackpole to this world and fell in love with it. To whoever wants to read good quality BT books, pick-up any one written by Stackpole.

Ok, Stackpole haters calm down :P I know he isn't perfect. As stated above his character development leaves a lot to be desired but he has a writing style that lends itself rather nicely to action packed sci-fi settings and I never was disappointed by the quality of his writing. I think the Warrior trilogy is a must read to whoever is new to the BT world and wants to know the flavor of this intricate and often complicated universe.
"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."

- Aleksandr Kerensky

theCrowe

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 22 September 2014, 18:43:50 »
thanks again.

Unfortunately it's not the reading speed that's slowing me down but the opportunity to sit down and construct a proper review. I get all my reading done at night when trying to get my son to sleep. easier to read then than to type, which unfortunately leaves me with many more reads than reviews. You'll notice my Blood of Kerensky thread is sadly lacking a conclusion, and that Wolves on the Border (one of my all time favourites) hasn't even got a look in yet!  some day... 

Alternatively if you were to jump in and start turning out your own reviews of books i haven't tackled yet i'd be happy to chime in and add to the discussion.

Luriael

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 03 November 2014, 15:05:15 »

Alternatively if you were to jump in and start turning out your own reviews of books i haven't tackled yet i'd be happy to chime in and add to the discussion.

I will gladly do it my friend! I don't have your word skills but as soon as I read a book you haven't reviewed, I will do my best.

Now on the matter of The Sword and The Dagger...

**SPOILER WARNING!!!**

I've never read any of Ardath Mayhar' books and I didn't know the author before reading this. I will dive into the bad right away. One of my literary teachers once told me don't dig yourself into a plot hole without a way to get out and I feel this novel has many of them.

First one is the semi-intelligent life form on the Folly. W-T-F? Can you say acid trip? I didn't know this book was written in the 60's because that section sure feels like it. You want to make me believe, first of all, that such an advanced life form would fly under the radar? We're not talking about ants here but what seems to be mammals with an evident society. I'm sure the goal was to show that there is indeed extraterrestrial life in the universe but I believe the story would have been served better if Dan was stuck by himself a whole night in the jungle fighting for his life against the fauna...

Second would be the case of Ardan Sortek's physician. A weird guy whispering to him how crazy he must be thinking he saw the Prince's double yet telling him it's o.k. to talk about it that it'll make him feel better. Fishy no? Well it seems the good doctor is in league with the perpetrators of the coup (what a surprise!) Worse though is the only way they find out that he is a bad guy is when Melissa Steiner do a research on him on the local Steiner computer. You would think she's a bright 15 years old monarch and that she has what it takes to be a ruler, being so wise yet the excuse for security not finding out about the doctor's affiliations is that it would be classified info that only Melissa and Katrina would have access to. That kind of defy the point of having a security background check on any employee no?

Last major gripe I have with this novel is the way Ardan and Hanse try to escape the castle/summer house. Dan brings our beloved Prince through what seems to be a complex maze who's sole purpose is to ventilate the rock for anyone's comfort. Bright as Hanse is, he asks why such a system because it seems a welcome sign for any infiltration attempt and Ardan replies that the passages are trapped and part of his job is to learn that maze by heart and the traps as well...

Did I enjoy the book? No, it was tedious to read through in part because it is riddled with things like I stated above. Is it because of the author? I wouldn't go that far, despite the weak plot and rushed story, it is indeed well written and, as theCrowe stated, the way Dan and his lance mates interact is engaging and seems legit. Obviously as a franchise writer you don't have all the liberty you want to write a story but I'm sure some of the weakest points are in part the author's fault as well. One time they want to hi-jack Jumpships to get faster to Argyle yet it is described in about 2 pages despite saying how hard it could be and that it never has been tried before...

I'm not reading Battletech the way I would go through Ender's Game or the Dune series obviously, I expect to close my brain and sit along for a fun ride and from time to time one of those books will surprise me. I just feel that the early Battletech books were thrown together, doing name droppings without too much of a plan and this is exactly what this book is suffering from.

I plan to go through all the Battletech novels that I can find, I'm that much in love with the universe, but back in the 80's if I didn't know Battletech and would have stumbled on the first two novels there is no way I would have found interest in this sandbox.

I know they are very good books in the universe, but I really feel the early novels were kind of put together without a second thought. The source books are well put together so I wonder what happened to the novels...

Anyway, sorry for the long post but it's a honest review :)
"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."

- Aleksandr Kerensky

theCrowe

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 08 November 2014, 17:29:13 »
love it. Thanks for your input.

also, Ender's Game, Dune... do I spy a Tolkien Professor listener?

Luriael

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 02 March 2015, 22:08:34 »
Sorry for the belated addition, but I wanted to read the whole Warrior's trilogy to do a review on this thread... so without further ado...;

***Spoiler Alert!!!***

Once again, I will not dive into the story as theCrowe covered it pretty well in his own review. As I stated above, the Warrior's trilogy is what brought me to Battletech some fifteen years ago. Back then I read it without knowing about the universe, I was much younger and my control of English might have been lacking to say the least. I'm glad to say that I was able to go through the three books with some ease as Stackpole's work hold deliciously to the test of time.

This work is better read completely (meaning if you want to attack the trilogy, plan on reading the 3 books back to back) because Mr Stackpole is a king of suspense and cliff-hangers. The action wouldn't be as satisfying if you stopped in the middle of the trilogy as each book is too disjointed to be fully appreciated on its own. I have a hard time picturing those who read this series back in the 80's on a span of about 12 months.

As you go through the first pages of the first novel, you see right away that the quality of the writing came up a notch. I don't want to take anything away from the previous writers but I feel the editing process might have been somewhat lacking before these. I read somewhere (I think on Stackpole's website) that he took on the job at FASA because it was offered to his good friend Kevin J. Anderson and he couldn't make it. Stackpole being his editor at the time, you can see the books are well layered and better built.  It probably helps that by this time, the Battletech universe was better fleshed out and the writers could lean on more detailed info.

But what about the story, does it hold up and is it really worth being called one of the founding tale of the universe? I wouldn't answer you with a strongly exclaimed YES! but I would say it is a must read for anyone wanting to read a few Battletech novels. My main gripe would be the case of Justin Xiang Allard. In him we have the typical Stackpole's hero (Corran Horn, anyone?), a main character that is able to do anything and better than anyone else. Want me to train a battalion of non-comm 'jockeys? Done, their the best too as they even save academy trained RCT's. I need to infiltrate Liao's ''Gestapo's''? Hey, I'll even get to the top and create my on division to spy on Hanse Davion and I'll even steal the daughter's boss heart as an added bonus.

This is the one thing Stackpole cannot pull off. He would need nuance and characterization far above his usual work. Instead, we have a Justin that is all over Hanse in the beginning of the books, trying to prove that he is better than his Liao's half that then hates Hanse and anything FedSun to prove his worth in Max Liao's eyes to finally switch back to his original FedSun loving self. He is the perfect case of a 80's action flick hero but instead of having say Rambo's development in First Blood, he gets the Chuck Norris treatment in all of his movies.

Second major plot hole and for some reason they use this trick a few times and not just in this trilogy; units disguising as other units. Now I get ComStar wanting to prevent Hanse from ruling the whole Inner Sphere but why disguise your troops as Liao's? Even worse, why didn't Liao come out and say it wasn't them? The FedSuns know the Death Commandos were on Kathil and it really doesn't win Max anything to let Hanse think it was him that attacked the NAIS because his realm is on its knees and it would drive the FedSuns only harder! And before that, ComStar faking a FedSun attack on its own HPG. You mean to tell me Hanse couldn't prove it wasn't his troops or at least fight a bit harder against ComStar's Interdiction?

I'm sure they could have gotten themselves out of these ones, story wise, if Stackpole would have put aside some of the side characters.  The story is too crowded and could have use some trimmed down plot. We could have done without Redburn, the story didn't sell me his betrayal by Justin and I didn't feel 'relieved' when we finally learn that Justin is a good guy and Redburn saves him. Same goes for Joanna a.k.a. Melissa #2. For that matter, they should have focused solely on the FedSuns and Liao (Justin, Hanse, Max, Candace, Romano) it would have given us more time to appreciate those characters and maybe develop them more. Give the Kell Hounds their own book against the Kuritas and a few lengthy novels depicting the struggle of Steiners vs Steiners (would have loved more Fredrick Steiner action in a whole novel, knowing what becomes of him later on).

Other than that, or even despite those flaws, those 3 books really are good. Some will say Stackpole is too theatrical and doesn't follow Battletech rules enough. I say you should be able to read between the lines if you are a player and read into; he fires a barrage of medium lasers to: he shoots his single medium laser because he moved 5 hexes and his heat level is already at 15. The trilogy's job was to give us a tour of the Inner Sphere circa 3028 and it does just that. It shows how righteous Hanse is, how mad Max is and how stupidly single minded Takashi Kurita was.

The inner turmoil of ComStar is awesome as well, despite the lack of background details we still can feel  two powers struggling within the organization and how a younger, more aggressive Primus take control of the sect and sets the tone for what will come in about 60 years.

If you want to laugh about 80's tech talk (the memory core being 750kb and archived in the NAIS basement?) and learn more about the 4th Succession War, I say get these books but read them for what they are; 80's sci-fi pop culture meant to sell a game.

Another lengthy post but hey I had to talk about 3 books :)

@theCrowe late answer but I have a hard time with Tolkien's writing, not the quality but his style... but that's for another thread ;)

- Aleksandr Kerensky

theCrowe

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 03 March 2015, 18:21:42 »
Thanks for your review. It's great to keep fresh perspectives coming at these old books.

In many ways I'd agree about the Lyran stuff being more suitable for a separate book. At times I forget that all that stuff about Patrik and Morgan Kell, and Dan Allard and the Combine and the Steiners power struggle is part of the same books as all the Justin and Hanse and Max etc story. But then again...  they're sometimes pretty well tied together. But very often not so much.

Lets plan a restructure. 4 books, book about maybe. book 1 feds vs caps, book 2 Lyran vs Glorious Draconis Combine etc

I think the idea is that Hanse's the Federated Suns can't prosecute their war in the Sarna March without the Lyran's keeping the Mighty Dragon occupied. It's all interlinked to try and keep us mindful of the bigger picture I suppose. But sometimes I found the picture gets too big and you're so far away from what you may feel is 'the main plot' that when you finally return to it you've forgotten what's going on.

since I've brought up Tolkien (albeit in a slightly unrelated way) i'll add that interestingly how he handles a similar plot divergence is to divide each book into two books (actually the entire LOTR is one volume in 6 books artificially divided into 3 pairs by publishing restraints) and each book from the point of the splitting of the fellowship follows one plot so you're not jumping between characters each chapter and getting lost.

Maybe each book in the trilogy could've been split into two parts with a Hanse book and a Kell book in each if you follow. The connections could be retained with cub plots and characters shared by each and the two main plots would be less jumbled together.

Luriael

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 03 March 2015, 19:06:28 »
Stackpole already divided the novels into books, albeit through themes instead of characters (if I make sense). Maybe if he did as you suggested, he could have added length to them without them feeling too long winded. As it is, right now, he should have drop the other parts because they really feel too disjointed and brief for their intended purpose.

The more I think about it and the more I like your idea of having this huge omnibus with three stories really and divided into books. Yet, Battletech always have been about pocket books format and I highly doubt you would be able to fit that kind of volume in a 350 pages book. I recall that Twilight of the Clans was a very long series, maybe 8 or 9 books? Considering how important the 4th SSW was in forging the Inner Sphere of early BT maybe it should have received that kind of treatment?

All in all, I believe this is the biggest flaw, to try and cram so much in just three books (even if they are lengthy by pocket book standards) and to focus on Justin Allard with a writer known for his lack of character development. Those flaws do not prevent me from enjoying those books though as the plot is well worked out and the action scenes are very good (Stackpole is one of my best writers for this kind of action packed sci-fi).

Oh and thanks for taking the time to read my posts ;)

- Aleksandr Kerensky

Wombat

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 04 March 2015, 00:02:47 »
You know, I haven't actually read the Sword and the Dagger. I always meant to, but when I was introduced to Battletech, the first trilogy I read was the Blood of Kerensky trilogy. My friend was all Clan-happy and didn't recommend the Warrior trilogy at all. Years later I went back and read the Warrior trilogy and really enjoyed it...but since seemingly all the events of the Sword and the Dagger were outlined in the Warrior trilogy (and seemingly everyone said to avoid the Sword and the Dagger like the bottomless shrimp bowl at the strip club); I never read it.

...now I'm wondering if I should?
"Remember gweilo, you suck when you are nervous." - James Hong

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage

Luriael

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #14 on: 04 March 2015, 06:27:55 »
the plot is light but it allows you to see a very young Melissa Steiner and an extremely 2 dimensional Max Liao. I wouldn't say to avoid it as if it were the pest but take it with a grain of salt. As a Battletech fan, read it just for the sake that it's the first time we are introduced to Hanse Davion and his FedSuns in the novels.

- Aleksandr Kerensky

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #15 on: 04 March 2015, 07:21:38 »
You know, I haven't actually read the Sword and the Dagger. I always meant to, but when I was introduced to Battletech, the first trilogy I read was the Blood of Kerensky trilogy. My friend was all Clan-happy and didn't recommend the Warrior trilogy at all. Years later I went back and read the Warrior trilogy and really enjoyed it...but since seemingly all the events of the Sword and the Dagger were outlined in the Warrior trilogy (and seemingly everyone said to avoid the Sword and the Dagger like the bottomless shrimp bowl at the strip club); I never read it.
...now I'm wondering if I should?
I by chance got a copy from my brother who found one at a used bookstore for $3 US dollars.

The book was good, I'm used reading older fiction and frankly that matches what was being published at the time.  If you didn't know hard core stances certain aspects like non-human intelligence and other factors, you won't think anything was wrong.  I was told a another author, (believe it was William H. Keith, Jr.) helped her to write the book's combat aspects. She really laid down the foundation on Battletech's fiction even if the book is shun.  Capellans military did come off as being competed more so than you've seen in the past.   

If you can get copy of the book, give it a chance.   Just remember, it's product of it's time. The style is from different era , I like it myself but not for others i think.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Wombat

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 04 March 2015, 09:19:48 »
I've actually got a copy. I own all the Battletech Novels, but I just wasn't sure I was ready to give it a go...until now.  :)
"Remember gweilo, you suck when you are nervous." - James Hong

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: 04 March 2015, 18:17:49 »
Lets plan a restructure. 4 books, book about maybe. book 1 feds vs caps, book 2 Lyran vs Glorious Draconis Combine etc

Okay, let's look at some fixes.

Principal Plotlines are:
- Justin Allard's 'disgrace', his exile on Solaris, his recruitment by the Maskirova, rise to prominence, romance of Candace and return home
- the flipside of this with Andrew Redburn and Morgan Hasek-Davion preparing for and then spearheading the battles against the Capellans
- The Kell Hounds vs the Genyosha - attacks on Chara, Silver Eagle Rescue, Morgan's return and the Kell Hounds fighting on the Steiner-Kurita front

I think we still want to do this chronologically, with one book focused mostly but not entirely on each plotline and a grand finale wrapping up all the stories in book four. Chronologically, this means book one is carried by Justin, book two is the Kell Hounds, book three is Andrew and finally book four has the climaxes of both.

Book One - En Garde
A Capellan raid hits a AFFS Training Base. CO Andrew Redburn rushes to the rescue but his XO Justin Allard is maimed in the attack. In the aftermath an investigation reveals Justin's involved in the Capellan underground and he's court martialled. Hanse Davion offers a pardon and has it flung back in his face so he exiles Justin.
Far away, mercenary Daniel Allard can't believe his half-brother's fate and is sure he must be innocent. Having sought refuge in Lyran space (Mariks hate cyborgs and neither Liao nor Kurita will welcome an Allard) a bitter Justin visits Daniel but moves on. It's revealed that Skye's defenses are in mild disarray due to political infighting. Justin is offered a place in the Kell Hounds but declines and heads for Solaris. It's indicated his cybernetic arm is still something of an impairment - except in a 'Mech.
Justin rises to prominence on Solaris both as a gladiator-mechwarrior and in the murky underworld, exploiting black market connections. He becomes the protege of Gray Noton, the man who maimed him, and an out-spoken anti-Davion spokesman with support from the Capellan community and Lyrans opposed to the Steiner-Davion alliance.
Another Capellan attack narrowly avoids killing Andrew Redburn. Evidence now exonerates Justin - but too late. Andrew is reassigned as he's become a focus of aggression. As aide to Morgan Hasek-Davion he visits Tharkad.
On the way back, they accompany Melissa Steiner-Davion to visit the Kell Hounds. Covertly Melissa and Andrew are replaced by doubles and depart on a civilian dropship for the Federated Suns while Morgan plays out the visit.
Justin learns from Gray Noton that a secret mission from the LC to FS is being sent - the dropship with Melissa and Andrew - and that Noton sold the information to the ISF. Justin hesitates and then sends a warning to Dan. The Kell Hounds launch a rescue mission while Morgan Hasek-Davion is forced to stay behind.
The Silver Eagle is fought out but instead of the Genyosha it's an elite DCMS regiment. Patrick still dies in the rearguard. Meanwhile Justin kills Noton and takes his Mech for the finals but LIC now suspect him of being responsible for informing the ISF of Melissa's route. He wins the match and contacts in the Liaoist underground smuggle him to Sian where he meets Max Lian and Michael Hasek-Davion.

Notes:
Rather than Andrew Redburn and Dan Allard both being 'junior' to Justin, moving Andrew up to have been Justin's XO gives an alternate perspective on him. It also positions Andrew as the better commander than Justin, who's an expert mechwarrior but not so skilled in tactics as in the original. Justin meeting Dan on the way to Solaris is easy geography and develops his character more. Sending Morgan H-D to Tharkad brings him in more and forcing him not to participate in the Silver Eagle rescue shows he's a frustrated warrior. Yorinaga not turning up yet 'softens' the Kell Hounds arc for this book.

Book Two - Lunge
The Kell Hounds regroup on Northwind with help from former Hound Bradley who now commands his own Merc battalion. Via ComStar they learn that Aldo Lestrade is applying political leverage against them for 'abandoning their post' since they can't reveal the importance of their rescue mission. Leadership falls to Salome and she asks Dan to use his connections to find Morgan and tell him what happened. Meanwhile she's going to take the Kell Hounds to Arc Royal to bury Patrick on his homeworld.
Takashi Kurita reads reports of Patrick's 'Phantom 'Mech' and orders Yorinaga Kurita recalled to form an elite formation and deal with the Kell Hounds - a wild card he wants removed. He discusses the strategic menace of the FedCom with Subhash Indrahar and also Theodore's usefuless or lack thereof in his opinion.
Dan consults his father, Quintus Allard, who directs him to Zaniah.
On Sian Justin has been debriefed and appointed an analyst within the Maskirova. He's subordinate to an exceptional officer Alexei Malenkov who warns him to be wary of the politics between the Chancellor's daughters. Justin finds it unavoidable though and he and Candace begin working together to deal with their cybernetic parts.
Dan meets Morgan who first thinks Yorinaga has returned and is horrified to learn Patrick is dead. They travel to Tharkad and Melissa asks Morgan to stand in for her dead father at the wedding. Katrina shares LIC information and confirms Yorinaga will be back shortly. Morgan and Fredrick Steiner joust verbally over politics but each respects the other as a soldier.
Yorinaga Kurita forms the Genyosha and is reunited with his son Akira.
Andrew Redburn is promoted again and takes command of the Davion Light Guards' 'Mech regiment (subordinate to the RCT's own commander of course). Hanse asks Morgan to be best man at the wedding.
Morgan Kell recalls many of his former Kell Hounds. Bradley wants to join them but is still on contract to the Federated Suns. He's authorised to rename his unit as a battalion of the Kell Hounds. Daniel receives a Wolfhound to trial for the LCAF.
Max Liao receives bare moments advance notice from Michael Hasek-Davion of the wedding before his invitation arrives. After putting on a good show he tears into his intelligence chief and has her removed. Alexei Malenkov is promoted to a senior post and brings Justin closer to Liao's attention. He's appointed the Maskirova officer to accompany Max to the wedding.
With covert aid from Lestrade, the Genyosha destroy the Heimdall refugees involved in the Silver Eagle encounter. Using the command chain intended for the wedding, the Kell Hounds arrive but it's too late. Fredrick Steiner's 10th Lyran Guards arrived before them but still too late. Fredrick blames Katrina for the poor defenses but Clovis Holstein swears he'll make the real culprit pay. Morgan sends the refugees to Arc Royal.
The Kell Hounds strike at the Genyosha's base world. The Genyosha are absent and the base is destroyed.

Notes: I originally wanted to end the book with Hanse's wedding speech but there's a lot going on already and that really belongs with the FS-CC conflicts of the next book. Yorinaga's recall being _because_ the Kell Hounds were a problem clears up the reasons for this. As before I switched status between Justin and his ally here, making Alexei Malenkov (Alex Mallory) his boss not his subordinate. A more senior Redburn gets a larger force, setting up for the future. I also shuffled events for the Kell Hounds-Genyosha battles forward and expanded Fredrick Steiner's roles. Also I seeded Bradley earlier on in the story.

Book Three - Riposte

The Wedding on Terra. Tensions between the leaders and Jaime Wolf really beards Takashi Kurita. Yorinaga Kurita and Morgan Kell are perfectly civil. Akira uncovers the ComStar armory below Hilton Head and flirts with Dan and Justin's sister Riva. Dan witnesses a near assassination of his father. Justin knows it was Romano's agent and berates her for it. Hanse Davion's wedding speech and the declaration of war.
Andrew Redburn in action on St Andre, leading the Davion Light Guards to defeat a mercenary battalion of Goliaths.
Morgan remains a frustrated warrior, sent back to New Avalon while the AFFS crushes the CCAF on a dozen worlds.
Alexei and Justin work together to identify AFFS stockpiles to be raided, hopefully crippling the logistics of the offensive.
The Genyosha smash the Kell Hounds battalion led by Bradley, the remnants saved by Team Banzai but remain under pressure.
A second victory for Redburn's Davion Light Guards.
The Northwind Highlanders defect, fuelling Max Liao's paranoia other officers, like Pavel Ridzik.
Data from Michael Hasek-Davion provides the targets for the counter-offensive. Justin adds another world, where he claims advanced military technology is being developed.
Morgan Kell is participating in a LCAF invasion when he receives permission from Katrina to go after the Genyosha at the expense of all other targets. Fredrick is contemptuous of pursuing a private mission when DCMS resistance under Theodore Kurita is hardening.
The counter-strikes, except for Justin's offensive, fail miserably (Justin defeats but doesn't kill Andrew). He leaves behind a disk with a message from Candace Liao to Hanse Davion but is almost killed by a Romano-subverted agent. Alexei Mallory saves him but reminds him he was warned to stay out of politics.
Max Liao orders the assassination of Ridzik but this also fails and he escapes, dropping out of sight. However the failure was due to a message from Alexei and Max orders his arrest, now sure he's Ridzik's man inside the Maskirova. Justin is promoted into Alexei's shoes.
Northwind Highlanders save Team Banzai. The Kell Hounds survivors are sent to rejoin their regiment while Team Banzai are sent back to New Avalon
Michael Hasek-Davion reaches Sian and gets his just desserts.

Notes: most of this is right out of the books. Theodore is played up a little but mostly this is the last half of the old book two and first half of the old book three.

Book Four - Coupe

Theodore Kurita goes on the counter-offensive, potentially cracking open the Isle of Skye and shattering their offensive. He asks Yorinaga Kurita for support but is declined respectfully. He accepts this as long as the Kell Hounds are neutralised.
Max Liao orders a strike on the last working jumpship yard at Kathil, to halt repairs there and force Hanse Davion to slow shipping. The risks of attacking a shipyard are raised.
Hanse breaks the news of Michael's actions and death to a disconsolate Morgan. Morgan asks for a field command but is denied.
Assassins almost kill Katrina Steiner and do kill Melissa's double.
Redburn finds his command sidelined with fresh Capellan March regiments being sent into the fight.
Candace tells Justin she knows the technology from Bethel isn't enough to turn the tide. She reminds him the DCMS is no help, wasting effort eradicating the Wolf Dragoons (which she would otherwise admire them for, a Dragoon played her for a fool years ago), and tells him she'll protect the St Ives worlds at any cost.
The Kell Hounds stop looking for the Genyosha and instead seek to draw them on them with a series of high profile attacks.
The 5th Syrtis Fusiliers are shattered on Sarna and are reported to have attacked an HPG station. ComStar interdicts the Federated Suns.
Clovis Holstein assassinates Lestrade and provides LIC with information about the assassination plot
Hanse finally gives Morgan orders: go to Kathil and set up a forward command post using the shipping lines.
Fredrick Steiner is told of the assassination and that his mentor Lestrade is behind it. He volunteers for a suicide mission to stop Theodore Kurita.
Justin is attacked again by one of Romano's agents. Nowhere seems safe for him now - he barely escapes with his life.
A Sword of Light regiment reaches the Kell Hounds before the Genyosha and the Kell Hounds inflict terrible losses.
Andrew Redburn's battered Davion Light Guards have to fight off the Death Commandos alongside Morgan Hasek-Davion. The 5th Syrtis Fusilier survivors make a combat drop to turn the tide.
Morgan Kell and Yorinaga Kurita duel for the second and last time.
A FAX message authorises Morgan to carry out a retaliatory strike on Sian. He forms the DLC and 5th SF survivors into the Kathil Uhlans for the operation.
Fredrick Steiner's mission fails to destroy enough of Theodore's supplies but his own surrender allows his soldiers to escape. LIC agents take out Combine jumpships.
Morgan Hasek-Davion carries out the raid on Sian, the advanced myomers used by Capellan defenders instead a crippling weakness.
Hanse Davion defends NAIS from a surprise attack by faux-Death Commandos.
Justin and Candace rescue Alexei from the cells - Justin admits he knew Alexei was a fellow MIIO agent. Justin convinces Redburn of his sincerity and they escape.
Melissa's pregnancy is announced on Tharkad and New Avalon. On both worlds, the heroes are honoured. Max goes insane.

Notes: again, relatively few changes here. Morgan being on Kathil being a forward command post just makes more sense with an Interdiction, otherwise his rush there is less plausible I think.
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: 05 March 2015, 04:24:43 »
Not sure the above reworkings would work out as individual books, having slept on it.
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

Luriael

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #19 on: 05 March 2015, 08:31:19 »
Not sure the above reworkings would work out as individual books, having slept on it.

yet it gives more meat to write and maybe I wouldn't focus on Justin at all (if you want him being a spy to be a surprise) and just get him to be seen through other characters' eyes

- Aleksandr Kerensky