Author Topic: Which casus belli magazine came with a free Official Fasa Battletech Map ?  (Read 5670 times)

Davion_Boy_74

• Warrant Officer
I recently saw a eBay sale (now ended) for a Official FASA Battletech River map that came with a issue of a (old) French Casus Belli magazine, I'm wondering if any one knows which issue #, and did it contain game rules or anything else to do with the map.

I hope somebody can help me out as it's got me wondering if it really was a "missing" FASA Official Battletech Map (image attached).

Thanks.

Dave.

Frabby

• Major
Interesting find. Never saw this map before.

The visual appearance screams FASA, but there's apparently no FASA copyright note on it and it also seems to be a European paper format judging from the blank top and bottom edges, so not printed in the US. I doubt that it is "official"; I'd rather assume the magazine somehow got a permission to make this map using FASA's style.

Or perhaps it is from another FASA game - Renegade Legion? They had very similar maps to BT.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Davion_Boy_74

• Warrant Officer
Thanks for the input, I just don't know, as you quite rightly pointed out there's no FASA ©, it's a nice map I just wish to know more....... damm the internet I just wish I knew the correct term to type in !!  O0  ;D  ^-^ ^-^

Dave.

Oh I've just checked the map (OK I did win it on eBay) in very small black writing in the bottom right of the map it reads :
 ©Casus Belli 1994 Carte concue par Michal Salicetto, dessin Bernard Bittler BATTLETECH est un jeu édité par Jeux Descartes sous licence FASA

so to me it does (now) seem it's an Official "missing" FASA Battletech map.

Dave.
« Last Edit: 06 September 2013, 03:25:47 by Davion_Boy_74 »

Frabby

• Major
If it's copyrighted to Casus Belli "designed" by Bernard Bittler then I'd say it's not a FASA map, it's a Casus Belli map. Though, if FASA allowed this, then it's arguably "apocryphal". Not that a playing map has any relevance for universe canon.

What does "concue par" mean?

Oh, and yes, it certainly is a nice map. I'm probably going to steal it for home use.  :)
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Davion_Boy_74

• Warrant Officer
If it's copyrighted to Casus Belli "designed" by Bernard Bittler then I'd say it's not a FASA map, it's a Casus Belli map. Though, if FASA allowed this, then it's arguably "apocryphal". Not that a playing map has any relevance for universe canon.

What does "concue par" mean?

Oh, and yes, it certainly is a nice map. I'm probably going to steal it for home use.  :)

What does "concue par" mean?  I must admit I do not read French, so I have no clue what's o ever, I totally agree it is a very nice map, I'm going to have to either find a print shop to get my self a good (gaming) copy made or try to reproduce it in HMMap & print it out my self as I want to keep the copy I got off eBay in mint condition to be honest.

Thanks for replying.

Dave.

Stormcrow

• Major
  • Art by Shimmering Sword
Per Google's Translator

"Map designed by Michal Salicetto, drawing Bernard Bittler BATTLETECH is published by Jeux Descartes under license FASA game"
Commandant Otto Maurus, ARWH-1Z ArcHammer, Maurus' Minutemen
Captain Obadiah Sykes, OSR-5FCR Ostroc, Second Filtvelt Citizens Militia

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. - Confucius
Noli Timure Messorem
May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. - Voltaire
Wielder of the Ferro-Carbide Bat of DOOM™

Davion_Boy_74

• Warrant Officer
Per Google's Translator

"Map designed by Michal Salicetto, drawing Bernard Bittler BATTLETECH is published by Jeux Descartes under license FASA game"

Thank you  O0

Dave.

Van Gogh

• Sergeant
For once the Google translation is fine (which is some kind of a miracle).
A possibility is that Jeux Descartes, the company which translated and published Battletech in French, tried to publish additional material through Casus Belly: there were links between the two (shared authors, deals for distribution in their shops...) so two-ways deals can't be ruled out.
Do you have a date more precise than 1994? Archives can be found here in France, perhaps some article within the magazine can offer clues.
« Last Edit: 23 September 2013, 08:43:37 by Van Gogh »

Davion_Boy_74

• Warrant Officer
For once the Google translation is fine (which is some kind of a miracle).
A possibility is that Jeux Descartes, the company which translated and published Battletech in French, tried to publish additional material through Casus Belly: there were links between the two (shared authors, deals for distribution in their shops...) so two-ways deals can't be ruled out.
Do you have a date more precise than 1994? Archives can be found here in France, perhaps some article within the magazine can offer clues.

Sorry I cannot give a more precise date, as the only information (date wise) is what was on the (bottom) of the map.

Dave.

Van Gogh

• Sergeant
That leaves us with 12 regular issues (between #73 and #84) and 2 or 3 specials to review... should be doable.
 Casus Belli was a quite a cult magazine in France: old, very storied, it holds a special place in a lot of hearts. And now, my curiosity is tickled, I'll have to get the full story  :)

Davion_Boy_74

• Warrant Officer
That leaves us with 12 regular issues (between #73 and #84) and 2 or 3 specials to review... should be doable.
 Casus Belli was a quite a cult magazine in France: old, very storied, it holds a special place in a lot of hearts. And now, my curiosity is tickled, I'll have to get the full story  :)

Thank you, I wish you success & hope you can put up any information that you find.  O0

Dave.