Author Topic: Have the Clans forgotten...  (Read 5531 times)

davitch

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
    • Kansas Battletech
Have the Clans forgotten...
« on: 29 March 2013, 11:59:46 »
The Clans initially invaded the Inner Sphere to take Terra and reform the Star League, is this still their purpose or is it now a lost cause and they are just scrambling about taking what they can?
JT Payne
Catalyst Demo Team #463

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Have the Clans forgotten...
« Reply #1 on: 29 March 2013, 12:36:18 »
They're in search for a new purpose in life.  The Wars of Reaving were a direct cause of the failure to swoop down and usher in a new enlightened age under Clan rule.

Each Clan searches for their purpose and sees a different ideal niche.  So, yes.  They're kind of just scrambling for what they can, but it's not at all being done in the same way.  Some like the Cats and Sharks/Foxes are even being fairly non-militaristic about their 'grabbing what they can'.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #2 on: 29 March 2013, 12:44:11 »
I don't think they've lost track. I think the problem is if they gear up and take galaxies to try to take terra everyone and their brother will attack their rear... and they know it. After the jihad every one is pretty much on the same level of units...some more some less. If the Falcons tried goin in then they'd have all ARDC plus half the Steiner forces AND the wolved on their butts, then the bears would attack the wolves, the DCMS would attack the bears, the Horses would sit back and clean up the scraps... on and on.
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 29 March 2013, 13:46:58 »
They have not lost track, but think about how long consolidation takes on 100's of worlds. Plus you have the various Trial's, War's, Vendetta's. The Clans are a King of the Hill kind of people, in the past 30 years save for the Bears and the Adders, they have all been knocked down, their society has broken from the simple binary of Warden V Crusader, to keep what you got, and fully half are dead, dying, or not even Clan anymore.
The IS was the forbidden fruit, and because everyone didn't partake, and because they failed, it broke their society. Don't get me wrong, the clans are a moribund people, before the invasion, and even until the Great Refusal, save for a few standouts, like the Wolves, and Bears they had stagnated, that stagnation was their downfall. It left their lower castes trapped, and in my opinion was a major cause of the Society, added to that the failure of the Invading Clans against supposedly inferior foes, and the Great Refusal which said "now you cannot do anything about it, honorably", and they simply went mad.
After the Reaving and the Republic Age however I think they are back on track, The Adders have more than likely consolidated the Kerensky Cluster and Pentagon and what is left of the rest of the Clans, The Wolves, Control vast portions of a major IS power the LA, The Sea Foxes are now the premier IS merchants and trading concern, the Bear's probably have the most stable, and balanced realm, Novacats are Warlords of the DCMS, The Hells Horses, have to know they will bear the brunt of any Homeworld invasion, and the Falcons, are lead, by a bat shit crazy Khan with major delusions of grandeur, and a If I can't have it no one can complex. The Ravens are a mystery, they have contacts with the Davions, they have to done major improvements to the OA in the last 7 decades, but I think they are more or less happy with what they got.

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #4 on: 29 March 2013, 14:57:04 »
The homeclans, last we saw them in the 3090's, have not forgotten the ideals to retake Terra.  They do however HATE the Inner Sphere and would likely set about burning Terra to the ground if they got it.

The later DA stuff has the Wolves and Falcons conquering again but in different ways than before.

There will be an Ilclan source book so likely someone is going to get there.

To the patient go the spoils

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 29 March 2013, 15:16:29 »
As discussed here it certainly remains to be seen if the ilClan will in fact possess Terra, or even if it's an entity or organization that currently is identifiable as a Clan, or even exists in the timeline yet.

The homeworld clans certainly seethe to conquer the Inner Sphere, but the Inner Sphere clans are not a monolithic bloc anymore.  Their goals all diverge from each others'.  Aside from the Malvina-led Falcons (and arguably the Alaric-led Wolves) there doesn't seem to be much interest in Terra anymore.  Prior to the beginning of the Dark Age in 3130, the Clans all got along pretty well with the Republic, actually.

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 29 March 2013, 15:29:59 »
Prior to the beginning of the Dark Age in 3130, the Clans all got along pretty well with the Republic, actually.

Remarkably well, trade seems more or less open, even the high tech stuff, and until the blackout, except with the Liberation of Terra from the WOB, and the GB Annexing the rest of the FRR, they even kept to the truce line, of course if anything was going to get the wardens to ward, it would be the mess unleashed by the WOB. The ROTS and the Clans were largest instance of mutual respect among the IS and Clanners and the only one with and entire IS State, sure there are plenty of individuals, Kai, the Cadet from the JF Sourcebook, even units, where everyone plays by the same rules of war, fights honorably, and respect is earned by both sides. I don't include the DCMS and NovaCats because I always got the feeling they would end up like the Azami, or just Warlords. Nor do I include the DS's because having the most coin is a little different than having respect.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #7 on: 29 March 2013, 15:33:57 »
Pretty disgusting if you ask me. Clans getting along with the IS house lords... now that's loosing their way.
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #8 on: 29 March 2013, 16:18:28 »
...but it is the Way, the True Way of Kerensky.  O:-)   

The House Lords were necessary evils to the Star League during its birth and its Golden Ages, and yes, they helped little in the end and deserve our revulsion of their ways.   The ilClan will bring them all to heel, or destroy them, soon enough...    ^-^

or not
« Last Edit: 29 March 2013, 17:37:59 by rebs »
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Vlads Fangs

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Wolf Empire Forever! Next stop- Terra!
« Reply #9 on: 29 March 2013, 19:31:07 »
Clan Wolf have ALWAYS had eyes on Terra.And now are poised to take the prize.We have also not forgotton about the Homeworlds and will one day return to clean up that hot mess.As for a House lord we have Alaric already,and like Phelan he did not have to be born Wolf to be Wolf,and he is Wolf.

davitch

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
    • Kansas Battletech
« Reply #10 on: 29 March 2013, 20:12:59 »
Clan Wolf have ALWAYS had eyes on Terra.And now are poised to take the prize.We have also not forgotton about the Homeworlds and will one day return to clean up that hot mess.As for a House lord we have Alaric already,and like Phelan he did not have to be born Wolf to be Wolf,and he is Wolf.

Ummm...From Sarna

It is not publicly known that he was conceived by using the DNA of Katherine Steiner-Davion and Victor Steiner-Davion.

ewww...genetic incest...
JT Payne
Catalyst Demo Team #463

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #11 on: 29 March 2013, 20:14:41 »
Both Malvina Hazen and Alaric Ward-Steiner-Davion have expressed a desire to make their Clans the ilClan.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 30 March 2013, 11:48:20 »
Both Malvina Hazen and Alaric Ward-Steiner-Davion have expressed a desire to make their Clans the ilClan.

Don't you know if they used Marik DNA? Or at lest frog DNA?  ;D

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #13 on: 30 March 2013, 11:50:26 »
I think they're getting there...
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 30 March 2013, 12:20:54 »
I think they're getting there...

Oh, I see ...

So you think they will use captured Society scientists to conduct Mutagenic Virotherapy on him, so he will turn into the Frog Prince? And the only way how to transform him back will be kiss from Yori Kurita. Or Caleb Davion? Whatever happens first... Hm.

Wow! That's a story plot!

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #15 on: 30 March 2013, 14:51:41 »
Frog DNA... is he going to turn into Alaric Wolf Steiner-Velociraptor???  They used frog DNA in Jurassic Park.  Look how that turned out.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 30 March 2013, 15:02:35 »
Frog DNA... is he going to turn into Alaric Wolf Steiner-Velociraptor???  They used frog DNA in Jurassic Park.  Look how that turned out.

They used frog DNA and a half of their dinosaurs changed sex consequently.

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #17 on: 30 March 2013, 15:09:05 »
They used frog DNA and a half of their dinosaurs changed sex consequently.
So he's going to become Alexa Wolf-Steiner-Davior-Ward-Velociraptor?

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #18 on: 30 March 2013, 15:27:41 »

I CANNOT WAIT!!!!! for the Ilclan book now :D

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #19 on: 30 March 2013, 15:51:11 »
*coughing, retching*
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

soshi

• Master Sergeant
  • reed'n be fun four da mentals
« Reply #20 on: 01 April 2013, 18:04:43 »
Might just be one of those weird things that been staring you in the face for years.  One of those ISP books with the conspiracies.  I seem to remember something about 2 relatives (sons I think) of the last Star Lord  with the clans.  The new Ilclan  could just be a  mix of those two and  and some of the Kerensky  blood,  and form a new clan from them.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 31 January 2018, 19:13:53 »
The homeclans, last we saw them in the 3090's, have not forgotten the ideals to retake Terra.  They do however HATE the Inner Sphere and would likely set about burning Terra to the ground if they got it.

The later DA stuff has the Wolves and Falcons conquering again but in different ways than before.

There will be an Ilclan source book so likely someone is going to get there.

Is the home world IS hate greater than their hate for the “failed” invades?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #22 on: 31 January 2018, 22:36:33 »
I think they hate both equally at this point.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #23 on: 01 February 2018, 23:27:18 »
i think Terra is the only world they wouldn't leave as a cinder.
though they'd probably still try to depopulate it.

E. Icaza

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: 05 February 2018, 16:36:38 »
Is the home world IS hate greater than their hate for the “failed” invades?

The HW Clans likely don't see any difference at this point.  If they hate the IS Clans more, it is likely because they betrayed the Way of the Clans, but I don't think anyone gets off easy so far as the HW Clans are concerned.

And I'll echo the sentiment about cooperating with IS powers.  That goes double for my beloved Jade Falcons too.  You'd expect that kind of behavior from the "lesser" (i.e. non-Jade Falcon) Clans, but the true heirs of Kerensky should know better.
The Clans: the Star League the Inner Sphere deserves, not the one it needs.

Register