Author Topic: Clan Protectorate  (Read 200200 times)

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
Clan Protectorate
« on: 06 June 2013, 22:57:07 »
Its made for Exiles and Refugees.

Any chance, 60 years later we may have some blood spirit survivors? Or other fallen clans?
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

SteveRestless

• Major
Re: Clan Protectorate
« Reply #1 on: 06 June 2013, 23:34:02 »
While I like the idea, I think its a bit distant, temporally speaking. Its also not terribly near to the sites of any of the dead clans' demise. I suppose, if there were some way of getting ahold of the genetic legacies of those fallen clans, they could theoretically be revived within the protectorate, but to what end? I would think most clans would see those names as weaker, having failed to prevent their extinction.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Fletch

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 07 June 2013, 07:03:41 »
It's where the Horses are moving to to make room for the renewed HW Clan invasion.

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #3 on: 07 June 2013, 08:08:46 »
It's where the Horses are moving to to make room for the renewed HW Clan invasion.

In exchange for this information we want the 5th back!!!

Seriously we should get a better look at it in the next mini TRO

To the patient go the spoils

Coldwyn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 07 June 2013, 08:12:39 »
Any chance, 60 years later we may have some blood spirit survivors? Or other fallen clans?

Why should someone let the dark caste in?

And why should any sane HW clanner want to invade again, seeing how it all ends in corrupted/poisoned/insane clans?
it´s not necessarily that i´m immoral of character, i just don´t take great stock in the morality of others, that´s all

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #5 on: 07 June 2013, 10:46:29 »
Why should someone let the dark caste in?

And why should any sane HW clanner want to invade again, seeing how it all ends in corrupted/poisoned/insane clans?

The dark caste is pretty much gone

The homeworlds invading would be VERY BAD.  Full scale warfare would be the order of the day. 

To the patient go the spoils

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #6 on: 07 June 2013, 10:51:44 »
Its made for Exiles and Refugees.

There is always a chance.
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #7 on: 07 June 2013, 10:59:20 »
Kisho's Nova Cat survivors are more likely.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Coldwyn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 07 June 2013, 12:01:48 »
The dark caste is pretty much gone

And what, pray tell, is a clanless clanner if not Dark Caste?
it´s not necessarily that i´m immoral of character, i just don´t take great stock in the morality of others, that´s all

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 07 June 2013, 12:58:13 »

Yeah, really.  The Dark Caste won't cease to exist unless clan society ceases to exist.

I am curious to read more about the Clan Protectorate, however.  Does it predate Grey Monday?

Stormcrow

• Major
  • Art by Shimmering Sword
« Reply #10 on: 07 June 2013, 13:05:17 »
Yeah, really.  The Dark Caste won't cease to exist unless clan society ceases to exist.

I am curious to read more about the Clan Protectorate, however.  Does it predate Grey Monday?
No, it comes to being in the late 3130s/early 3140s
Commandant Otto Maurus, ARWH-1Z ArcHammer, Maurus' Minutemen
Captain Obadiah Sykes, OSR-5FCR Ostroc, Second Filtvelt Citizens Militia

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. - Confucius
Noli Timure Messorem
May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. - Voltaire
Wielder of the Ferro-Carbide Bat of DOOM™

GhostCat

• Lieutenant
  • If A, then B, The Evil Genius Argument
« Reply #11 on: 07 June 2013, 13:06:18 »

Is this a riddle disguised as a quiz?  Because, "All your base belongs to us."

Even the price gouging Clan Shark Fox will have trouble dealing with the Dead Cat Clan if they start with that "you can't afford us" attitude.

As for "clanless clanner" ... such a thing does not exist.  As Abtahka, Isorla. or Hegira, Clan Nova Cat and/or the surviving Spirit Cats will claim all the material and personel abandoned by the other Clans. 

Is it worth a Trial of Refusal to stop us?

GC
"Spirit Cats are just pirates basically." --- Quote from Herb

Coldwyn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 07 June 2013, 13:07:43 »

No, it was created after Fortress Republic was initiated (27 Jul. 38).

@GhostCat:

That is horsepoopery. Outcasts, dropouts and survivors of genocideTrials of Annihilation have always been and will always be. That´s the unmentioned side of the way of the clans.
« Last Edit: 07 June 2013, 13:11:28 by Coldwyn »

Captain of C-21

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #13 on: 07 June 2013, 16:56:06 »
So long as Clan Spirit Cat and Sea Fox do not overreach and work to build themselves up in the Clan Protectorate, they will thrive.  I have wanting to make a Clan Protectorate thread for some time, but since we have so little information on them outside of the novels, much of what would be posted in here would be pure speculation.

That said, I believe the Spirit Cats will survive and do well on Marik and the other planets they protect.  They are in a far better position, even if they are numerically inferior, than Clan Nova Cat was in the Irece Prefecture.

Proud Warrior of the Clan Protectorate.

Looking to play clix Mechwarrior in the Northeast Ohio area?  Come join our playing group!

Quote from: Worktroll
Face it - MW:DA had, for its run, massively greater commercial success than BattleTech's ever had. Over two million click-base minis - want to guess where the number of BT minis comes in? I'd guess on the order of a few percent of that. While BT has survived for 30 years, we've never had the same number of players at any point. The pity was that unlike BT, MW:DA ended up being run by businessmen, not game fanatics.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 07 June 2013, 17:01:25 »
What was the rationale behind the Clan Protectorate being centered on Marik?  I'm sure there's a story to it, but I don't know what it is.  I assume the extinction of the Marik Commonwealth and the inception of the Protectorate must go hand in hand?

Captain of C-21

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 07 June 2013, 17:33:08 »
What was the rationale behind the Clan Protectorate being centered on Marik?  I'm sure there's a story to it, but I don't know what it is.  I assume the extinction of the Marik Commonwealth and the inception of the Protectorate must go hand in hand?

Clan Spirit Cat conquered Mark in 3135 while looking for sanctuary for their people.  Clan Sea Fox assisted Clan Spirit Cat by providing transport and additional ground forces in the final battle.  Julietta of Marik, the eldest daughter of Captain-General Jessica Marik, got on-planet right before the last big battle of Marik was going on, and left an impression on the Spirit Cat leadership.  After the assassination attempt on her life, the Spirit Cats loaned some of their doctors to Jessica to help heal her daughter, and then brought her back with them to Marik to monitor her recovery.  Julietta eventually started to identify more the Spirit Cats and then helped them take advantage of Oriente being distracted during the 3138 war with Andurien to declare their own statelet.  Then when the Free Worlds League was reborn, it joined as an equal member-state.

Basically, Julietta realized her mother was going with Nikol (Julietta's younger sister) as her heir and after her life-and-death experience and recovery, Julietta became much more determined, and stuck it to her mother by getting Clan Spirit Cat to expand its influence, rather than be consumed by the Oriente Protectorate.  Basically a "you-scratch-my-back-I'll-scratch-yours".

TLDR: The reason it's centered on Marik is that is where the Spirit Cats and Sea Fox started from.  Rikkard Nova Cat believed Marik would be the sanctuary he was seeking, and then went from there.
« Last Edit: 07 June 2013, 17:35:36 by Captain of C-21 »

Proud Warrior of the Clan Protectorate.

Looking to play clix Mechwarrior in the Northeast Ohio area?  Come join our playing group!

Quote from: Worktroll
Face it - MW:DA had, for its run, massively greater commercial success than BattleTech's ever had. Over two million click-base minis - want to guess where the number of BT minis comes in? I'd guess on the order of a few percent of that. While BT has survived for 30 years, we've never had the same number of players at any point. The pity was that unlike BT, MW:DA ended up being run by businessmen, not game fanatics.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #16 on: 07 June 2013, 17:39:27 »

Do you mean the in-universe reason or the real-world reason? Don't think anyone who frequents the boards can answer the latter but the former is because Rikkard Nova Cat had a vision of a bird riding a tornado across a hot and arid landscape.

Coldwyn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #17 on: 07 June 2013, 17:58:36 »
Do you mean the in-universe reason or the real-world reason? Don't think anyone who frequents the boards can answer the latter but the former is because Rikkard Nova Cat had a vision of a bird riding a tornado across a hot and arid landscape.

A short detour: Someone at FASA must have had a crush on native americans and shamanism. It´s been rife in Shadowrun (Where the hell did they all come from) and there´s a deep bond with it in the Cats.
I mean, finding a reservation (the irony!) after grandfather peyote a Vision Quest is certainly... weird?
Anyone got some background infos on what went on with FASA at that time?

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #18 on: 07 June 2013, 18:03:17 »
A short detour: Someone at FASA must have had a crush on native americans and shamanism. It´s been rife in Shadowrun (Where the hell did they all come from) and there´s a deep bond with it in the Cats.

Crimson Skies too. America Balkanizes and the native americans get a state.

I mean, finding a reservation (the irony!) after grandfather peyote a Vision Quest is certainly... weird?
Anyone got some background infos on what went on with FASA at that time?

Yeah apparently the republic has the good stuff. That isn't fasa though, the Republic Nova Cats twist towards Indian Shamanism happened under wizkids I believe.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Coldwyn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #19 on: 07 June 2013, 18:08:27 »
Crimson Skies too. America Balkanizes and the native americans get a state.

Oh, I skipped on CS back then due to being overcomited to other games. So the pattern repeated there?

Yeah apparently the republic has the good stuff. That isn't fasa though, the Republic Nova Cats twist towards Indian Shamanism happened under wizkids I believe.

Sorry, I didn´t mean this particular story arc but the Cats and their visions themselves, which lead back to FASA. Also, the rammifications of those vision where more or less first formalized in that time, too, leading to such things as wholesale defection to the Dracs, later hardline support of the RotS, splitting the clan into Spirit and Nova, then the reservations.
So someone must have had a crush-on with native american culture and mysticism.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 07 June 2013, 18:19:17 »
As for "clanless clanner" ... such a thing does not exist.  As Abtahka, Isorla. or Hegira, Clan Nova Cat and/or the surviving Spirit Cats will claim all the material and personel abandoned by the other Clans. 

Not necessarily.  During the Wars of Reaving, there are several instances of Clans looting enclaves of materials before abandoning any survivors to live or die on their own whether because they don't trust them, they are not worth the cost of relocating them to another enclave, they don't have the strength to defend their acquisition, etc.  With the heavy fighting going on, few if any Clans had the resources to save an abandoned settlement/enclave be it their own or somebody else's.
« Last Edit: 07 June 2013, 18:23:16 by Archangel »
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Coldwyn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #21 on: 07 June 2013, 18:35:47 »
Not necessarily.  During the Wars of Reaving, there are several instances of Clans looting enclaves of materials before abandoning any survivors to live or die on their own whether because they don't trust them, they are not worth the cost of relocating them to another enclave, they don't have the strength to defend their acquisition, etc.  With the heavy fighting going on, few if any Clans had the resources to save an abandoned settlement/enclave be it their own or somebody else's.

I think mentioning the Wars of Reaving is besides the point. It´s like mentioning the Jihad to prove something concerning the IS.
Sticking to Clan basics as they´d been for some centuries, those outside clanner culture/a clan are dark caste. That´s it.

So "survivors" of Trials of Absorbtion or Annihilation are, by default, Dark Caste, and that´s it. Considering the Clan bias towards those guys, why should they let them in a dedicated Clan Protectorate?

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #22 on: 07 June 2013, 19:03:07 »
Huh? No, the Nova Cats were heavy into mystic trappings since Invading Clans. Dancing around fires, atonal music and chanting, prophecy and vision...all that fun stuff. About the only thing Native American influenced with them were some of the outfits in the Republican Nova Cats.

WONC

• Warrant Officer
  • Don't Stop Believin'
« Reply #23 on: 07 June 2013, 19:38:16 »
Huh? No, the Nova Cats were heavy into mystic trappings since Invading Clans. Dancing around fires, atonal music and chanting, prophecy and vision...all that fun stuff. About the only thing Native American influenced with them were some of the outfits in the Republican Nova Cats.

Yup. The Cats' mysticism is much more new age-y, with doses of Hellenic style mystery cultism & an interesting take on "generic" shamanism thrown in the mix. The 'Yotes are much closer to some Native American traditions in their beliefs, albeit in a very generalized sort of way.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

"Being tactful in audacity is knowing how far one can go too far."
Jean Cocteau

The Once & Future WiseOldNovaCat

Longstrider

• Corporal
« Reply #24 on: 07 June 2013, 20:34:46 »
Hmm. Yeah, I'm not sure if Cat mysticism (or the Coyote's version) is any more related to someone at FASA having an interest in our movie-version of Native culture than anything else. I mean, BT is rife with these sorts of things, whether it's Arthurian knights, or space samurai, or whatever else.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #25 on: 08 June 2013, 19:28:03 »
Why not Clan Burrock?  They survived "whack a Burrock" 3 times.  Ok...  this time they suffered orbital bombardment... but still.   :D
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #26 on: 09 June 2013, 04:22:06 »
So "unclaimed survivors" of Trials of Absorption or Annihilation are, by default, Dark Caste, and that´s it.

Minor correction.  O0
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Wolflord

• Major
  • Look Ma! I have enough posts for a time jump!
« Reply #27 on: 09 June 2013, 04:27:36 »
Minor correction.  O0

But an essential one  O0

St.George

• Lieutenant
  • there's nowhere to run
« Reply #28 on: 09 June 2013, 04:35:59 »
I'd thought the "Cats" more like the oracles of Dehlfied(ancient Greece,sry for the poor spelling) :))
"Smoke em' if ya got em' boys,,,We're goin' in"

Wolflord

• Major
  • Look Ma! I have enough posts for a time jump!
« Reply #29 on: 09 June 2013, 05:27:51 »
Don't know much about the oracles other than they were at Delphi. But I always got the North American vibe from the Nova Cats rightly or wrongly because of a scene/image of dancing round a bonfire and looking for images in the flames from long ago. Maybe their night was dark and full of terrors Dragons.

Even since the FASA days I've felt there were too many similarities between some of the clans and that either we could have started with fewer or that there could have been more absorptions to give a more manageable number when they rejoined the main story in 3049.

Register