Author Topic: Blaine's Latest Blog  (Read 203864 times)

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
    • Website of Blaine Pardoe
Blaine's Latest Blog
« on: 16 March 2011, 09:52:37 »
Enjoy folks!

http://bpardoe.blogspot.com/

Blaine "Buck" Pardoe
« Last Edit: 16 May 2012, 21:02:55 by Bedwyr »
Author

Solarmech

• Master Sergeant
  • MekTek Staff and BattleTech Heritic
Nice to see you still thinking of a BT novel. :)  Hopefully they will start printing novels soon so you will get your chance. sm

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
I've been setting some cash aside for when these bad boys finally get used for that glorious purpose.

Nibs

• Captain
We'd love for more dead tree Pardoe goodness.  :)

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
New blog post - my favorite RPG's and wargames
« Reply #4 on: 30 March 2011, 19:47:03 »
Feel free to chime in...

Blaine "Buck" Pardoe
Author

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
Re: New blog post - my favorite RPG's and wargames
« Reply #5 on: 31 March 2011, 09:11:08 »
What? No Deadlands or Spelljammer or Dark Sun or Ravenloft?

;)

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Solarmech

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 31 March 2011, 09:40:27 »
Quite an interesting list there.  O0 sm

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 31 March 2011, 09:55:10 »
Spelljammer and Ravenloft looked cool - I just never played or read them. 
Author

Fnord

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 31 March 2011, 10:15:43 »
Spelljammer sure was, eh, "cool" in a very 80's fantasy/sci-fi mash up kind of way. As for Ravenloft, I find it to be one of the worst case of setting intent<->rule intent conflict that I have ever come across.

Nice bog by the way.

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #9 on: 31 March 2011, 21:48:11 »
Reminds me a lot of my dad's preferences in games.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 01 April 2011, 06:34:59 »
Suddenly I feel very old. 

Blaine "Buck" Pardoe
Author

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
Blog Post - Research vs. Writing
« Reply #11 on: 10 April 2011, 20:04:48 »
Enjoy

Blaine Pardoe
Author

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
Flying Battleships? Leviathans is finally coming!
« Reply #12 on: 15 April 2011, 19:55:54 »
Here's my latest blog post on Leviathans!

Blaine "Buck" Pardoe
Author

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Flying Battleships? Leviathans is finally coming!
« Reply #13 on: 15 April 2011, 20:00:08 »
for those about to rock! [rockon]
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

ShockaTime

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 15 April 2011, 20:02:43 »
This is awesome news!!!!! I'm very excited for this game [rockon]

Spirit Never Dies - Second Spirit Chasseurs - Clan Blood Spirit
Raven Alliance

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 15 April 2011, 20:23:34 »
can't wait to see this game in stores, very exciting news  [rockon]
"Warriors, not war machines, are the backbone of the Hell's Horses. While others worship the BattleMech as the ultimate weapon, the men and women of this Clan see even this awesome piece of technology as the tool it is. We have held to this philosophy since the days of our first Khan, who knew that the value of the common soldier far outstripped the brute force of the BattleMech. It is one reason our Clan possesses fewer mechs than most, and has led many to underestimate our fierceness and courage. Our survival against all challengers when others have fallen proves the folly of such arrogance, and testifies to the wisdom of our founders."
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel
Star Captain Logan Cobb-666th Assault War Cluster, Star Commander Octavian-The Thunder Heart Cluster

Solarmech

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 16 April 2011, 06:48:36 »
Yes, I am THAT level of geek that I own that book in my library.

That's not geek, that's striving for accuracy!  O0 sm

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #17 on: 16 April 2011, 07:44:23 »
Thats actually intresting. It might be worth checking out.
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #18 on: 16 April 2011, 18:56:25 »
I loved your list of your favorite games!

I match you on: Panzerblitz, Wooden Ships & Iron Men, Traveller (and the fact that H. Beam Piper's world names were 'borrowed' for some of the planets), 1st Edition AD&D, and The Morrow Project (yes!!).  I'm adding to my list Advanced Civilization from Avalon Hill, King Maker, Pax Britannia, The Fantasy Trip, Wizard's Quest, and Nuclear War.

Every time I go to Origins I make sure I block some time to play Advanced Civ. Ah, that game is awesome.

Anyone intersted in playing a Morrow Project scenario?  8) I volunteer to GM and help out any newbies, no problem.
« Last Edit: 16 April 2011, 18:57:57 by Top Sergeant »
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

ShockaTime

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 16 April 2011, 20:00:26 »
Anyone intersted in playing a Morrow Project scenario?  8) I volunteer to GM and help out any newbies, no problem.

Not to get too off track, but I'm curious, what is Morrow Project?

Raven Alliance

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #20 on: 16 April 2011, 20:16:18 »
I match you on: Panzerblitz, Wooden Ships & Iron Men, Traveller (and the fact that H. Beam Piper's world names were 'borrowed' for some of the planets), 1st Edition AD&D, and The Morrow Project (yes!!).  I'm adding to my list Advanced Civilization from Avalon Hill, King Maker, Pax Britannia, The Fantasy Trip, Wizard's Quest, and Nuclear War.

You got to come out this way Top, your interests are scarily similar. I'd add Tobruk, Air Force/Dauntless, Third Reich and Next War (who cares about TSS's cavalry charges when you can send a dozen A class motor-rifle regiments through the Fulda Gap with chemical warfare support ;) )

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #21 on: 16 April 2011, 21:17:58 »
Not to get too off track, but I'm curious, what is Morrow Project?

Sci-Fi Role Playing Game.
Came out in the late 70's.
Premise: An industrialist named Morrow had managed ta limited form of time travel and had discovered that in 1989 there would be a devastating nuclear war. He carefully selected other industrialists and they developed the Morrow Project, which was a network of small teams placed in cryogenic suspension in secure bunkers throughout the United States. Their mission was to get the United States back on its feet again after the war. Your team was, like the others, scheduled to wake up 5 years after the war. When you wake up you have no contact with anyone else and your chronometers indicate that it is 150 years after the war. Looks like your on your own....

The game provided about 20 basic load outs (weapons & equipment) for players, vehicles, and three basic types of teams (Science, Recon, and Mars [combat] teams. GM's were encouraged to add their own flavor, so I ran a campaign in college where the players were combat engineers with the task of getting the Tenessee Valley Authority back online. Good times. :)
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

ShockaTime

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 16 April 2011, 21:31:44 »
Sci-Fi Role Playing Game.
Came out in the late 70's.
Premise: An industrialist named Morrow had managed ta limited form of time travel and had discovered that in 1989 there would be a devastating nuclear war. He carefully selected other industrialists and they developed the Morrow Project, which was a network of small teams placed in cryogenic suspension in secure bunkers throughout the United States. Their mission was to get the United States back on its feet again after the war. Your team was, like the others, scheduled to wake up 5 years after the war. When you wake up you have no contact with anyone else and your chronometers indicate that it is 150 years after the war. Looks like your on your own....

The game provided about 20 basic load outs (weapons & equipment) for players, vehicles, and three basic types of teams (Science, Recon, and Mars [combat] teams. GM's were encouraged to add their own flavor, so I ran a campaign in college where the players were combat engineers with the task of getting the Tenessee Valley Authority back online. Good times. :)

that sounds really cool, never was into the fantasy role playing, but this sounds like a story line I could get into!

Raven Alliance

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 16 April 2011, 22:20:50 »
that sounds like an awesome game
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #24 on: 17 April 2011, 06:11:09 »
I've always had fun with it. You can have mutant critters (5 foot high wolverines anyone? :)), mutant people "zombies", you can have a bit of 'road warrior-esque' encounters, or my favorite is that in 150 years society would be trying to put itself back together and so you could have all sorts of different little kingdoms, countries, etc at any sort of tech level you want. One morning my crew woke up to a 6 pound roundshot glancing off of the hull. They had laagered in a small wooded copse the night before and two rival armies had occupied the area that night and started a battle at dawn, and they found themselves smack in the middle of no-man's land.  :)

macleod76

« Reply #25 on: 17 April 2011, 08:10:20 »
I've always had fun with it. You can have mutant critters (5 foot high wolverines anyone? :)), mutant people "zombies", you can have a bit of 'road warrior-esque' encounters, or my favorite is that in 150 years society would be trying to put itself back together and so you could have all sorts of different little kingdoms, countries, etc at any sort of tech level you want. One morning my crew woke up to a 6 pound roundshot glancing off of the hull. They had laagered in a small wooded copse the night before and two rival armies had occupied the area that night and started a battle at dawn, and they found themselves smack in the middle of no-man's land.  :)

sounds like an easy one to base a Fallout type game in:)

Daemonknight228

• Lieutenant
  • mei veneratio est mei vita
« Reply #26 on: 17 April 2011, 08:35:17 »
Thats essentially the same basic premise as fallout. The difference being instead of cyrogen teams, you have multiple generations passing in fallout. Otherwise, its almost an identical backstory. Which is good, because Fallout is an awesome backdrop, and this one sounds just as cool.
Global Moderator - Intelser.org

"I imagine he burned up on re-entry. That kind of happens when one is spaced in orbit without any kind of flight suit, parachute, or other protective gear...."
-Herb Beas

Space him from orbit...it's the only way to be sure.

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
Author

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
Re: New blog post - what...you don't have your own ejection seat?
« Reply #28 on: 22 April 2011, 20:20:50 »
I refuse to sit in an ejection seat that cannot live up to its name, and my fiance refuses to allow me to have incendiary devices in the house.

So no, I don't have one.

Yet...
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
Re: New blog post - what...you don't have your own ejection seat?
« Reply #29 on: 23 April 2011, 20:06:31 »
The funny part - it is a downward firing seat -- and my office is in the basement. 
Author

Register