Author Topic: Army Builder Alpha Strike  (Read 52790 times)

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer
Re: Army Builder Alpha Strike
« Reply #30 on: 03 March 2014, 00:19:50 »
Any word on the update yet?
I may have a low amount of posts but I have a PHD in Battletech and mechs older then most people on this board!

Jarron

• Private
« Reply #31 on: 03 March 2014, 18:22:37 »
It's there.

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #32 on: 03 March 2014, 23:08:27 »
SWEET
I may have a low amount of posts but I have a PHD in Battletech and mechs older then most people on this board!

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 03 March 2014, 23:20:23 »
3039 units in this update, I'll echo the sweet!
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Jarron

• Private
« Reply #34 on: 07 March 2014, 23:04:54 »
And another update.  This keeps getting better.

OpacusVenatori

• Master Sergeant
  • Honor above all, Except of Vengance
« Reply #35 on: 08 March 2014, 11:55:16 »
does it have the new beta point values?
While some fight with honor, Others win battles

Jones

• Private
    • Dice Cascade
« Reply #36 on: 08 March 2014, 12:07:42 »
does it have the new beta point values?

Yes. When you create a new roster, you can click on the lower right to choose rules and advanced options. Beta point values, Hex movement rather than movement in inches, era and rules levels; it's all there.

Von Ether

• Lieutenant
« Reply #37 on: 08 March 2014, 14:07:50 »
Yes. When you create a new roster, you can click on the lower right to choose rules and advanced options. Beta point values, Hex movement rather than movement in inches, era and rules levels; it's all there.

Can you add in the starting TMM?
"New players, regardless of age, need to know two things about a wargame. How to blow stuff up and what faction is painted in his favorite color. All the rest can come later when they are hooked." -- A.G.
"But the problem is that it seems to have been made by someone who equates complication with complexity, and that just ain't so." -- iamfanboy

Jones

• Private
    • Dice Cascade
« Reply #38 on: 08 March 2014, 14:40:49 »
Can you add in the starting TMM?

Not yet? But this is in the Battletech Army Builder FAQ:
Code: [Select]
TO DO LIST - WISHLIST
Implement Faction images
Create custom output for standard AS record sheets
Add homeworld clan faction data
Add output of Special Abilities reference to custom output
Advanced unit cards - Move modfier, range modifier, TMM

So I'd figure that's coming after the rest of the TRO datasets are added.

Medron Pryde

• Captain
  • Life's a beach, enjoy the sand between your toes
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #39 on: 09 March 2014, 16:31:21 »
That is a beautiful output file.

Truly impressive.

I might just have to get this program so I can print these out.

They look very nice.
Col Medron Pryde - DropShip Irregulars - Phoenix Hawk LAM - A Proud Browncoat

RSM Regstav Pryde - Battle Corps Legion - BattleMaster BLR-K4
Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
Pryde Rock Industries - Your Source for awesome BattleTech programs
My Deviant Art Page
Jack of Harts - updated daily
Strike Force - a fanmade RPG supplement for Alpha Strike

Davion_Boy_74

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #40 on: 16 March 2014, 04:18:39 »
Just noticed another update was put up on the 15/3/14, even better !!  O0

Dave.

Von Ether

• Lieutenant
« Reply #41 on: 16 March 2014, 08:01:09 »
Just noticed another update was put up on the 15/3/14, even better !!  O0

Dave.

Is there a link on what was updated?
"New players, regardless of age, need to know two things about a wargame. How to blow stuff up and what faction is painted in his favorite color. All the rest can come later when they are hooked." -- A.G.
"But the problem is that it seems to have been made by someone who equates complication with complexity, and that just ain't so." -- iamfanboy

Davion_Boy_74

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #42 on: 16 March 2014, 08:10:26 »
Is there a link on what was updated?

Well when I checked for updates on Army Builder I saw that BattleTech Alpha Strike v4 had : units from  TRO3025, 3025R, TRO3026, 3026R & TRO3058 Added.

so no link as such....  ;)

Dave.

Davion_Boy_74

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #43 on: 26 March 2014, 10:23:22 »
Just noticed Army Builder has a Alpha Strike update (26 March 2014) v5.0, and before I'm asked its got units from TRO3060 in it now, and I've got no link for it  ::)  [tickedoff] [watch]  ^-^

Dave.

Von Ether

• Lieutenant
« Reply #44 on: 26 March 2014, 23:23:05 »
I hate to be particular, but I'm an AoW fan, so I'm holding out for 3075. Though being able to put in starting TMM on the sheet would be a plus.

BBiggar

• Recruit
« Reply #45 on: 27 March 2014, 18:03:48 »
Total noob here so forgive me if this is a silly question, but when I output the cards the TMM for a Mad Cat is listed as +4.  With a move of 10, or 5 if hex based, shouldn't it be +2?
We have a saying in the air traffic world, "there is no problem so bad you can't make it worse!"

Ratboy

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #46 on: 27 March 2014, 22:53:25 »
Total noob here so forgive me if this is a silly question, but when I output the cards the TMM for a Mad Cat is listed as +4.  With a move of 10, or 5 if hex based, shouldn't it be +2?

Oops. Corrected. That was left over from the Quickstrike files. Thanks for noticing that.
Jim Williamson - CDT Agent #206
NJ, USA

BBiggar

• Recruit
« Reply #47 on: 28 March 2014, 08:55:33 »

Oops. Corrected. That was left over from the Quickstrike files. Thanks for noticing that.

Awesome! Thanks for the quick answer.  Fantastic job with the files by the way.
We have a saying in the air traffic world, "there is no problem so bad you can't make it worse!"

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #48 on: 02 April 2014, 08:42:20 »
Any word on when the Starter books will be added to Army Builder? I know your working to get all the units in the game but if you could slip in that update it would make my alpha strike games easier :-) Great work on the process so far! O0

Medron Pryde

• Captain
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #49 on: 03 April 2014, 01:09:00 »
For me, I would find the ability to load HeavyMetal (or other files so people who use non-official programs can do it too) designs into the Army Builder.

That way I could load designs you just haven't gotten to, or load custom designs for my own play.  That would make this a must buy for me...

Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
My Deviant Art Page

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #50 on: 03 April 2014, 09:47:38 »
For me, I would find the ability to load HeavyMetal (or other files so people who use non-official programs can do it too) designs into the Army Builder.

That way I could load designs you just haven't gotten to, or load custom designs for my own play.  That would make this a must buy for me...

Given the complete lack of updates on HeavyMetal I would think getting the Lone Wolf guys to add this functionality to Army Builder would be a waste of their time.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #51 on: 03 April 2014, 14:13:42 »

What would it load?  The designers don't do the Alpha Strike stat conversions? Most data files don't have faction information? Everything else in the designer file it wouldn't use (it doesn't have how many PPCS, or armor, etc it has).  Name and c-bills maybe?
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Medron Pryde

• Captain
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #52 on: 03 April 2014, 18:42:28 »
Well...this is an army builder program.

Everybody is waiting for the official designs to be loaded into it.

Now I'm happy as the next person to see an official dataset, but it takes time.  And as noted by some above, they are waiting to buy it until it includes certain datasets.

If the program were to load designs from the most used designers out there, it would allow people to play (with unofficial and unverified files of course) in whatever era they want.

Also, I like the printouts of this program.  They look really good.  I would like to play with the printouts of this program.  But right now I would need to play with some cards from this program, some cards from the MUL, some cards from other programs, and some cards that I generated myself because NO programs generate them.  The mix of cards from different sources makes the game look less professional when played in public.

And finally, we know from experience that one of the greatest draws of BattleTech is its support for custom designs and refits.  Since computers became big, the most popular programs have been BattleMech designers.  Were Army Builder to draw on that popularity I am rather certain it would broaden the appeal of the program.

My Deviant Art Page

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #53 on: 03 April 2014, 19:36:30 »
Heavy Metal would have to generate Alpha Strike stats before Army Builder could consider loading them.

Medron Pryde

• Captain
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #54 on: 03 April 2014, 21:44:34 »
Oh contrare....

Army Builder can load any file the programmer wants to code it to load.  Hence why Megamek can load HM and other design program files.  ;)

It all depends on if someone wants to code it or not.

I suggest it as an idea for the company to make more sales and open up options for BattleTech players.  :)

My Deviant Art Page

Ratboy

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #55 on: 03 April 2014, 23:20:52 »
Any word on when the Starter books will be added to Army Builder? I know your working to get all the units in the game but if you could slip in that update it would make my alpha strike games easier :-) Great work on the process so far! O0

I should be able to include this in the current update I'm working on. Thanks!

I've been brainstorming this. It would require me to write a program to do a custom input for AB and I would need to get permission and data formats for whichever program's saved data it would use. Unfortunately, it is not on the front burner. I may also add functionality later to allow you to build custom units directly in Army Builder, but that is also a monumental task (but not impossible!).
NJ, USA

Medron Pryde

• Captain
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #56 on: 04 April 2014, 01:30:24 »
Yes, as we all know, making design programs is a pain in the patooie...:)

Another option could be to allow for "custom input" of designs.  Basically allow the user to enter in the Alpha Strike stats and have a note on the sheet that it is user entered rather than officially verified.

Because for every program that gets "done" I've seen a half dozen others that get to "we can do a level 1 'mech" status and then go apeslag when they try to add more functionality.

Note that "done" is a relative term, aimed at a constantly moving target, and it usually means that a program can generate something around 99% of the designs out there since there will always be some designs that use "that new special rule from such and such a book" that the program just shakes its head at.  ;)

I've seen more people pull their hair out after starting a BattleMech designer than I care to admit, and I would not want to be the person trying to code it.  And I actually coded a warship/dropship designer when I was a MUCH younger person, so I know from where I speak.  I would hate to see a promising program like this hit the "design creep stage" that means it goes beyond the programmer's ability/desire to finish it...

My Deviant Art Page

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #57 on: 04 April 2014, 09:50:37 »
Another option could be to allow for "custom input" of designs.  Basically allow the user to enter in the Alpha Strike stats and have a note on the sheet that it is user entered rather than officially verified.

I played 40k back during 3rd edition and used the original army builder.  I don't know if they still do, but GW had published rules for how to create your own vehicles(it was the same rules forge world used).  Army builder was able to handle the custom built units.  It was a lot of scrolling down and checking boxes, but it could do it.  Even did all the point calculations.  I haven't used the new army builder but I can't see why'd they'd remove that functionality.

Probably worth noting that the 40k files were all fan entered.

Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Ratboy

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #58 on: 05 April 2014, 00:30:26 »
Army builder was able to handle the custom built units. 

Probably worth noting that the 40k files were all fan entered.

It can and has more flexibility and power than AB 1.0 did. I need to decide if I'm going to implement it as custom AS or TW (and the do a conversion to AS). I remember the VDR rules and they don't hold a candle to the complexity of BT custom units. It's on the back burner until all current units are entered.

O0 these files too are fan entered! They just have the official blessing.

BTW: thank you for all the support.
« Last Edit: 05 April 2014, 07:43:12 by Ratboy »
NJ, USA

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #59 on: 11 April 2014, 09:35:23 »
Can I request that the stats for the Battlecorps and Project Phoenix  be added on the next update?  O0
« Last Edit: 11 April 2014, 15:17:22 by wolfspider »

Register