Author Topic: What Movies Are We Watching: The Flickening.  (Read 137304 times)

Marveryn

• Lieutenant
Re: What Movies Are We Watching: The Flickening.
« Reply #60 on: 10 March 2014, 01:32:33 »
Well I was catching up on some of my DVDs collection. I just finish watching some of them this past week. The first was Ender's Game 8) I like this film ,but never read the book 8 out of 10. The second was Man of Steel  :o 8) I like this alot 10 out of 10. I'm not SuperMan fan boy ,but like this updated story and the actors and actress in it were great. Now third film World War Z  [watch] good zombie flick 7 out of 10, the only problem I had with film was Jerusalem. I did not think IDF were that bad not have better cap over the walls of Jerusalem. That all for now

cities tend to be noisy and the zombies only start to climb when one sole radio started blasting.  Yeah that part of the movies was the head scratcher.  I think its main contribution was to get him from there to Russia. 

Klep

• Captain
« Reply #61 on: 10 March 2014, 10:01:08 »
Finally saw Catching fire. 
I loved the roll that the recently deceased PSH had in the film, and mourn that we won't see him reprise it for the Mockingjay pair of films to round out the trilogy.
Actually, we will.  He apparently only had a week left of shooting on the two movies.  That week was going to involve what was described as an important scene, but it's unclear to what degree he was important to that scene.  They haven't announced how they plan to work around his death, but we probably shouldn't expect them to.  At any rate, the role is not going to be recast.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #62 on: 10 March 2014, 15:18:49 »
cities tend to be noisy and the zombies only start to climb when one sole radio started blasting.  Yeah that part of the movies was the head scratcher.  I think its main contribution was to get him from there to Russia.

IIRC it was not a radio playing, but that group of kids/refugees who just started singling loudly at "Being saved"..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Aokarasu

• Captain
  • Commander, Musei Yuuchi
« Reply #63 on: 11 March 2014, 00:56:04 »
"Boondock Saints" - courtesy of Netflix, I finally got around to watching it. Brilliant piece of work, Dafoe really shines in it.

THUD

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #64 on: 11 March 2014, 22:12:17 »
"Boondock Saints" - courtesy of Netflix, I finally got around to watching it. Brilliant piece of work, Dafoe really shines in it.

Watch the second one if you can. Not as good as the first but I still loved it.

Jimmyray73

• Lieutenant
  • I will not be toyed with!
« Reply #65 on: 11 March 2014, 22:15:12 »

I sprayed beer out of my nose and fell out of my chair the first time I saw the scene with the cat. It was just so unexpected...
Endo has forgotten more about dispensing pain than you or I will ever know...

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #66 on: 11 March 2014, 23:04:59 »
I sprayed beer out of my nose and fell out of my chair the first time I saw the scene with the cat. It was just so unexpected...

I had too rewind it to  make sure what had happened; loved it! (Not that I have anything against cats, mind you.)

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #67 on: 12 March 2014, 07:49:40 »
And now finished with season 3 of Game of Thrones. Maybe it's because of all the hype about it, but the "Red Wedding" sequence didn't really wow me or piss me off. Yeah, a couple of favorite characters were offed, but none that I was really attached to.

Jimmyray73

• Lieutenant
  • I will not be toyed with!
« Reply #68 on: 13 March 2014, 22:08:10 »
I picked up "Layer Cake" from the bargain bin today for $4. Great movie that was sorely overlooked when it came out.
Endo has forgotten more about dispensing pain than you or I will ever know...

Marveryn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #69 on: 14 March 2014, 19:00:35 »
And now finished with season 3 of Game of Thrones. Maybe it's because of all the hype about it, but the "Red Wedding" sequence didn't really wow me or piss me off. Yeah, a couple of favorite characters were offed, but none that I was really attached to.

I am figuring you got spoil a bit by the time you got the red wedding so it wont have the same impact if you seen it the first time and without book knowledge.  Me having read the books was already spoil, but I did enjoy it mostly cause it was years since I read the books and I lost track of some of thing that need to had happen.  We do know that it start to get dicey soon unless the books start to pop out in rapid succession

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #70 on: 14 March 2014, 20:50:33 »
I am figuring you got spoil a bit by the time you got the red wedding so it wont have the same impact if you seen it the first time and without book knowledge.  Me having read the books was already spoil, but I did enjoy it mostly cause it was years since I read the books and I lost track of some of thing that need to had happen.  We do know that it start to get dicey soon unless the books start to pop out in rapid succession

The only amount of spoiling I had was that there was a lot of killing at a wedding. I purposefully avoided spoilering myself beyond that. The way some people had reacted, I expected a lot more of the main characters to have been offed.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #71 on: 14 March 2014, 23:03:03 »
I'm watching Thor: The Dark World right now.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #72 on: 15 March 2014, 02:30:01 »
"Ender's Game" - a decent adaptation of the novel, and I'm okay with the changes they made.

DEZOAT

• Lieutenant
« Reply #73 on: 15 March 2014, 09:09:51 »
 O0 I to just finish watching Thor Dark world last nite.

Auren

• Lieutenant
  • Well.
« Reply #74 on: 15 March 2014, 09:49:29 »

It's mostly that everyone who was a decent person was at the wedding and for once, whatshisface the old dude that married his daughters would be a decent person and NOPE! Thus crushing any hope of the North kicking down the door to the Lannisters and putting them in their place.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #75 on: 15 March 2014, 22:45:00 »
Watching RED 2 right now.  Good movie, but not quite as good as the first.  In particular, Cathrine Zeta Jones's character seemed tacked on.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #76 on: 15 March 2014, 22:49:18 »
It's mostly that everyone who was a decent person was at the wedding and for once, whatshisface the old dude that married his daughters would be a decent person and NOPE! Thus crushing any hope of the North kicking down the door to the Lannisters and putting them in their place.

I consider Tyrion to be a decent person.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #77 on: 15 March 2014, 23:09:02 »
I have Pitch Black on right now.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Klep

• Captain
« Reply #78 on: 17 March 2014, 10:06:43 »
Saturday I watched The Dark Knight Rises and Thor: The Dark World.  Both are enjoyable-if-flawed films, but I prefer the former's flaws to the latters.

Yesterday I watched 300: Rise of an Empire, which was honestly pretty boring and forgettable.  Later I watched American Graffiti, which is probably Lucas' best film (much as I love Star Wars), and a really great companion piece to Dazed and Confused.  I hope there's some similarly talented filmmaker out there working on a similar movie about high school when I was going through it.

sir_spamalot

• Major
  • Pip pip Spammy O. Jolly good can then.
    • Really Pathetic Productions
« Reply #79 on: 19 March 2014, 11:49:21 »
Since I haven't posted here in a while, here are the last two movies I reviewed....

Mr. Peabody and Sherman
http://www.paulsvalleydailydemocrat.com/moviereviews/x1984786673/-Mr-Peabody-and-Sherman-unexpectedly-a-heartwarming-treat

Gravity on DVD (one of many oscar nominated flicks I missed in theaters)
http://www.paulsvalleydailydemocrat.com/moviereviews/x787222242/-Gravity-a-volley-ball-free-Cast-Away

Hope to get my thoughts out on Ender's game soon.

bytor

• Lieutenant
« Reply #80 on: 19 March 2014, 12:48:51 »
Saturday I watched The Dark Knight Rises and Thor: The Dark World.  Both are enjoyable-if-flawed films, but I prefer the former's flaws to the latters.

I watched Thor: The Dark World on Sunday and again on Monday, I actually enjoyed it more then the first Thor, and the only real quibble I had with it was Firgga's death, which didn't really serve much purpose other then to get Loki on board with Thor's plan, and seems to have very little emotional impact.

Last night I watched Airplane!, one of my favorites.  I had no idea it was on Netflix until last night.

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close semblance to the first."
-Attributed to General Aleksandr Kerensky

Orion

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #81 on: 19 March 2014, 13:07:53 »
Just saw Lone Ranger a few days ago.  I was in no mood to watch a movie, but the wife really wanted to, so I caved in.  I was expecting a western with lots of special effects, but otherwise similar to the tv show.  Wild Wild West is basically what I was expecting.  I enjoyed it a lot more than expected, mainly because it didn't take itself seriously and played around with many of the iconic things of the original show.
Game mechanics are a way of resolving questions in play, not explanations of the world itself.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #82 on: 19 March 2014, 22:18:06 »
I watched Thor: The Dark World on Sunday and again on Monday, I actually enjoyed it more then the first Thor, and the only real quibble I had with it was Firgga's death, which didn't really serve much purpose other then to get Loki on board with Thor's plan, and seems to have very little emotional impact.

Last night I watched Airplane!, one of my favorites.  I had no idea it was on Netflix until last night.

Yeah, that was a real Stuffed into the Fridge moment.

Marveryn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #83 on: 20 March 2014, 00:24:51 »

your right that moment only serve two purposes first it establish that loki is a true mother boy.  He taught him all he know about magic tricks and that it gave him motivation to help thor.  Other than that she really had little impact to the movie.  One has to remember in a 2hour movie you end up with throw away characters and in some occasion you wish they threw away,  I am looking at you jar jar.  

THUD

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #84 on: 20 March 2014, 15:51:33 »
Getting ready for Godzilla this summer, so I have been going through my old Toho classics to get the pallet ready. Hit up the 1959 classic Battle in Outer Space. One of my favs, I just love the entire flying saucers vs. rocket fighter ending. They don't make them like that any more! 8)

BTW last summer to get ready for Pacific Rim, I watched all the old Gamera movies. And I threw in season one of Ultraman. I still have that stupid Ultraman song in my head!!!! [rockon]

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #85 on: 21 March 2014, 00:28:02 »
I am watching Starship Troopers, all of them and in order. I think I can take the cornyness of these movies.

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #86 on: 21 March 2014, 07:37:26 »
I am watching Starship Troopers, all of them and in order. I think I can take the cornyness of these movies.
Will that include the animated movie, Starship Troopers: Invasion?

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

sir_spamalot

• Major
  • Pip pip Spammy O. Jolly good can then.
    • Really Pathetic Productions
« Reply #87 on: 22 March 2014, 12:00:33 »
Put up my review of Ender's Game yesterday.... http://www.paulsvalleydailydemocrat.com/moviereviews/x1984796390/-Ender-s-Game-a-fantastic-adventure-despite-associated-problems

Managed to survive Divergent (saw out of boredom and lack of other things playing in town)... going to have a bit of fun reviewing that one...   :D ;)

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #88 on: 22 March 2014, 15:52:12 »
I have heard mixed stuff on divergent.  So i will hold off till it hits redbox.

AS for me, got a new "Liv schriber" film, Last days on mars to watch tonight.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #89 on: 22 March 2014, 15:58:44 »
Will that include the animated movie, Starship Troopers: Invasion?

Yep, I couldn't do a marathon without it. Not as corny, but it has its moments.