Author Topic: It's a bird! It's a plane! No it's Superman's younger, female cousin: Supergirl!  (Read 76736 times)

Nerroth

• Captain
I wonder if they will introduce Power Girl to this show at some point?  (Perhaps as an alternate version of Kara from an parallel timeline?)
« Last Edit: 14 May 2015, 10:37:41 by Nerroth »

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
That would be cool, considering this guy is going to be a big villain in S1. Kinda doubt he'll look like this, though. Shame.

Meow Liao

• Warrant Officer
  • The PPC Kitty
I see a terrible supervillain in Supergirl's future.  One that even she cannot defeat.  Are you ready for some football?  Woo yeah!  Football!  Monday Night Football will lay the kryptonite all over her. 

Just watched the long trailer on IMDB.  Meh?  But it will be dvr fodder for as long as it lasts.  Perhaps they can do something interesting with the story.  Is it an El family trait that glasses make the ultimate disguise?  And once you turn Supergirl, can you seriously keep working for Ally McBeal? 

Meow Liao

Have some plum wine with that PPC.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
I see a terrible supervillain in Supergirl's future.  One that even she cannot defeat.  Are you ready for some football?  Woo yeah!  Football!  Monday Night Football will lay the kryptonite all over her. 

It's being held until after the regular season or so. Due to Thursday Night Football on CBS, The Big Bang Theory and another comedy will be in that slot on Mondays until November or December. Then they will move to Thursdays and Supergirl will start on Mondays.

E. Icaza

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
It seems to have a lot of internet hate, but I'm looking forward to it.  Despite the "Devil Wears Prada" meets "Lois & Clark" appearance, it still feels better than the movie side of DC's attempts at GrimDark Superman.  Superman is not GrimDark and his cousin definitely shouldn't be either.
The Clans: the Star League the Inner Sphere deserves, not the one it needs.

Marwynn

• Major
I wonder if they will introduce Power Girl to this show at some point?  (Perhaps as an alternate version of Kara from an parallel timeline?)

I was actually hoping they'd do a Power Girl show instead.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
Superman is not GrimDark and his cousin definitely shouldn't be either.

If Superman Returns is any indication, Hollywood can't hit hopefully or uplifting even using nostalgic throwbacks.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
The first half of the trailer felt like someone saw Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow movie parody on SNL and decided it would be a perfect TV series.  Then I saw the second half, and was intrigued and hopeful.
Agreed, I was digging the parts where she was expanding her abilities and actually being Supergirl.
I cringed at every musical cue which reminded me of some trailer for "13 going on 30".
Other than that the trailer for Supergirl made me curious about the show.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

solmanian

• Captain
Oh yes, the music was all kinds of wrong. I think they were trying to go "girl power" vibe, but instead it felt more like a rom com.

It felt like they were accidently ripping off SNL Scarlet Johansson's "Age of me" sketch, about a super heroine trying to make it in the big city... The Marvel/DC rivalry just escalated to a new level.
Making the dark age a little brighter, one explosion at a time.
Have you met the clans? Words like "Naïve" and "misguided" are not enough to describe the notion that a conquest of the IS by the clans would result in a Utopian pacifistic society.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
Well that's the marketing suits for you.
Action-wise it looks like a Supergirl who is discovering her limitations.
Sound-wise they try to play it as a "Felicity with superpowers".
I won't get into this any further for fear of tipping off a forum rule; but that type of marketing makes me facepalm in sadness.
Because we will still struggle to get decent live action female supers.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Marwynn

• Major
The pilot's been leaked.  O:-)

They did the same thing with the Flash, probably to see early reactions and so on.

elf25s

• Major
finally got around to watching the pilot...
did it seem a bit rushed or is it just me? the tempo was to disjointed...and tried to pack too many things into one package....
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Marwynn

• Major
finally got around to watching the pilot...
did it seem a bit rushed or is it just me? the tempo was to disjointed...and tried to pack too many things into one package....

That's usually the case with pilots. They want scenes with potentials for the series, so it's a lot less cohesive.

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
That would be cool, considering this guy is going to be a big villain in S1. Kinda doubt he'll look like this, though. Shame.

It is CBS so who knows :P

When does the Pilot supposed to premier?

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
Around November or so, whenever CBS wraps up Thursday Night Football and moves The Big Bang Theory and the 8:30 comedy from Mondays to their regular timeslots.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
Wow. That's much better looking than I thought it'd be. Looks like they'll do the uniform thing in the pilot. They''ve learned from Arrow and made the Flash, and it looks like they're learning from that as well.

Agreed.  The longer preview is much better.

It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Skyth

• Lieutenant
Just watched the pilot.  Was pretty good.  Definitely not in the Man of Steel 'verse.

Skyth

• Lieutenant
So what did everyone think about the premier? (assuming you didn't see the leak previously).

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Overall not bad even if I'm still trying to figure out if DC wants this to be a fully standalone series or if they do want to tie it in with anything else.

Definitely not in the Man of Steel 'verse.

Yeah the different Jimmy Olson does seem to indicate that.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
It's produced by the same folks behind 'Arrow' and 'Flash'. Here's hoping that the network doesn't try to screw with what has been a winning formula for the folks at CW. I don't like the Cat Grant character, but I don't think we are supposed to. She's Supergirl's J. Jonah Jameson.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
I'd thought they had wanted it tied into the rest of the TV 'verse but the networks balked.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
Yes, Berlanti & Co. initially really wanted Supergirl tied into the "Arrowverse" but Nina Tassler et al. over at CBS preferred it to be its own thing. There was some noiose made about maybe if it proved to be successful they might try to link them, but last I heard that wasn't going to happen.

And, really, how do you explain that Superman has been active for ~10 years (even to the extent of a photo of him winning a Pulitzer) but somehow nobody in Star(ling) City or Central City knows anything about him? Best to keep them separate.

Marwynn

• Major
The Flash's dealing with alternate Earths now. One more won't hurt.

The pilot was as awful the second time around, but I'll keep watching it.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
Sure, an alternate Earth would work, but that's not what was being discussed or what people wanted to see.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Rough as stated, the sister bonding thing I could do without a overdose.  However, I remember it took about 3 episodes for Arrow to click so I am good for a while.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
I'm just stoked it's not Man of Steel grimdark.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
Overall not bad even if I'm still trying to figure out if DC wants this to be a fully standalone series or if they do want to tie it in with anything else.

Yeah the different Jimmy Olson does seem to indicate that.

Decent.  Though i didn't really like that her adversaries are all seeming to be from Krypton as well..

It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
Though i didn't really like that her adversaries are all seeming to be from Krypton as well..

Not necessarily. Imprisoned by Kryptonians, yes, but they could be from any number of alien species. Vartox, I think, wasn't Kryptonian in this pilot episode.

I'm just stoked it's not Man of Steel grimdark.

Amen.

Marwynn

• Major
There's a longer preview up here for the next episode (or the whole season) with some light spoilers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc3BcxdYgkw

I wonder if they can get Tom Welling back as Superman, and if people would want that. He has to show up sooner or later.

Marveryn

• Lieutenant
just a few issue with the pilots.  Most having to do with standard pilot stuff but at least they didn't screw her up too much from her original character.  Main issue is why superman is such a *$)* to her.  He leave her alone for years.  never comes around and visit and just when he send her a gift he does it secretly.  Two why are the villian worried about her stopping them when they stll have to get past her cousin? shouldnt there focus be about killing both her and superman??    Basically, its an issue that you have with a lot of comic character.  how you can make her story revolve around one character and include some of his supporting staff and not have that person make an appearance.   Having watch youtube about her character i shouldn't be surprise how he treats her since that actually how he treated her when she original show up.