Author Topic: Another Mech of the week! EMP-XX Emperor (More!? YOU WANT MORE!?)  (Read 20220 times)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
I…I am…EMPEROOOOR…

Ahem sorry had to get that out of my system.  The EMP series of Mech’s has been a solid fixture in the Battletech universe until the First and Second Succession Wars came skipping along, flung nukes around like a demented and shrieking lunatic and ran off gibbering and hooting.  One of these buckets of instant sunshine also obliterated the factory that built the Emperor.
Rendered extinct due to its high tech design and production materials the Emperor became a footnote in history save perhaps a few surviving original examples lurking in a museum or a boneyard.  It was not until the discovery of the Helm Memory Core that this machine could be rebuilt.

The original Emperor walked off the Factory Floor in 2502 and was one of the first generation of assault Mech’s and was the first Mech in its weight class to mount Jump Jets.  For its time I would guess that the Emperor was adequately armed, and was roughly comparable to other Mech’s of its generation but due to the rapid march of technology it became obsolete quickly.
The design spluttered on until it got a SERIOUS refit and basically became the Emperor that we were introduced to in TRO 3058.  This version was issued to the Royal Regiments of the SLDF exclusively and many either left with the SLDF or were destroyed meaning that the few survivors that remained in the Inner Sphere could probably easily fit in a single large dropship.

With its re-introduction the Emperor was produced in the St Ives Compact and exported to eager buyers in House Davion, Marik and Steiner but with the fall of the Compact the Capellans then went MINE!!! And the World of Blake also got their cybernetic mittens on Emperor’s producing variants of their own.  The end result is a rather surprising number of variants, weapons fits and types, each with the flavour of their respective users written large on them.

What do I get?

Well for 18.7 million C-bills (give or take) you get a slow but oddly agile 90 tonne death machine.  The Emperor for the most part is not a nippy machine with a 54kph max speed but all come equipped with a trio of heavy duty jump jets letting it do 90 meter bunny hops.  It was the first Mech this size to mount them, the more famous Highlander came out considerably later.
Going off the ‘standard’ 6A model introduced in 3058 the Emperor is a fusion of new and old technologies.  At its time of introduction the Emperor was apparently the first Mech to combine an XL engine, LB-X 10 AC’s as well as double heatsinks and CASE but this could well be propaganda by its builders and designers.

A 270 rated XL engine is the Mech’s beating heart and powers it along at its aforementioned 54kph speed whilst also providing additional thrust for the Jump jets (3/5/3 in game terms).  Space limitations prohibit the use of Ferro-Fibrous armour and instead a meaty 17.5 tonnes of standard plate shield the Mech’s frame and internals from damage.

Breaking out the weapons array for testing this means that the 6A can withstand a pair of AC-20 blasts to its chest followed by a large laser hit before going internal.  The side torso’s can withstand a pair of gauss hits as can the arms.  The legs require a pair of gauss slugs followed by a large laser hit to go internal.  The back can take a PPC hit whilst the rear sides can withstand a large laser hit. So all in all…very impressive on the armour front.  So good armour, adequate speed (perhaps slow for its size but the Jump jets offer some yummy tactical options) and lots of weight saved and you can guess where that goes.  Firepower.  The Emperor backs up its regal name with a lot of firepower as we’ll see below.

Variants

EMP-1A – The great grand pappy and the first Emperor type to be designed and see service, designed when the primitive Mackie was the bleeding edge of technology the 1A is utterly obsolete in the modern day and is equipped with a slew of primitive items, but then again it was also a prototype so we should not be too hard on grandpa.  Still it could jump which is a novelty for the time.  Armament is limited due to the weight of its components and engine to a pair of AC-5’s and a trio of Medium lasers although the cannons do draw from a nice and deep two tonne ammo bin each which is a nice thing giving the Mech a surprising amount of battlefield endurance.

EMP-5A  - Grandpa had a midlife crisis!  After the prototype of the 1A the 5A became the standard model during the Age of War and with its lighter components was able to be up gunned and its cooling systems improved.  The 5A’s retains the AC-5s but halves their ammo bins with each cannon fed by a 1 tonne bin now.  The trio of medium lasers are retained  whilst a pair of large lasers are also mounted, one on each arm.  Six additional standard heatsinks are added allowing the Mech to remain heat neutral if you fire both large lasers and don’t move.  For its age though this machine isn’t bad, it would fit in nicely with the Succession War’s era armies.

EMP-6A  - I’m baaaaaaaaaack!  The 6A was introduced to us in TRO 3058 and is typical of that books Mech designs, well thought out and balanced.  The lineage of the 5A to 6A is obvious, the AC/Large laser mix is retained but the XL engine of the 6A means the autocannons get bigger and are the then new LB-10X type, each one given a nice two tonne bin for use of the flexible ammo types the new cannon offered.  The medium lasers were also updated with two being replaced with Medium Pulse Lasers whilst the large lasers were retained in their arm mountings above the autocannons.  The number of Heatsinks was also decreased but new double heatsinks were fitted letting it vent 24 heat.  By any standard this is a good mech.

EMP-6D – BRRRRRRRRRRRRRT! The Federated Sun’s variant produced during the Civil War and you know what that means.  NEW TOYS!  Out go the LB-10’s and in go the Davion’s beloved RAC-5’s whilst all the lasers are upgraded to ER versions and another two tonnes of double heatsinks are added letting it vent 28 heat in total.  Six tonnes of ammo feed the very hungry guns but the ER lasers mean it can still fight after the cannons run dry or jam (which is far more likely).  Whilst the RAC’s can spew out a greater amount of damage they are far more unreliable than a solid hit from the older style AC’s. Still it’s a good generalist Mech and I’d not want to see one walk round a corner with both RACs ready at short range for sure.    Because of a lack of crit spaces this Mech stores a tonne of ammo in each leg, in addition to the two tonnes per arm.  Pray you don’t get a leg crit..

EMP-6L'By being subtle the expert is silent, he is inaudible'.  This is the Capellans first throw at one and of course this means stealth armour which was applied to many many Mech’s with the passion of an obsessive compulsive when Stealth armour became a thing.  In a big change the 6L’s engine is replaced by a standard one and the weapons fit is extensively altered as is the Mech’s musculature which was replaced with Triple Strength Myomer which is useful when it heats up.
Unfortunately something had to go and in this case it’s the extra heatsinks, and the 6L only has the 10 doubles the engine comes with.

In place of the weapons a Gauss Rifle and ER PPC are the Mech’s main weapons now, allowing it to reach out and touch someone at extreme range whilst being protected by its Stealth armour.  The three tonne ammo bin for the Gauss ensures that the gun won’t run dry too quickly.  As the range drops the 6L brings a quartet of Medium Pulse lasers out to play whilst a Guardian ECM lurks in the left arm , a needful thing for the Stealth armour to work. 

EMP-6M M for Marik (and the Master…) the 6M is the FWL/WoB effort and again is an extensive rebuild  and is basically an entirely new machine much like the 6L.  Powered by the newly developed Light Fusion engine for improved battlefield endurance the 6M  features an Endo-Steel skeleton.  The weapons fit is brand new and built around a fire support ideal.  Paired Light Gauss Rifles and ER Large Lasers give this machine a very long range punch.  This is made even more potent by the C3I system mounted on the 6M allowing this long range sniper to provide pinpoint fire with a good spotter.   Each Gauss draws from a single tonne of ammo each but that’s still 16 shots .

For close in defence a trio of medium pulse lasers and a single ER Medium are adequate weapons.  This heat hog though has only the ten double heatsinks the engine comes with for cooling.  Handy it’s got TSM then… Even so to save more weight something had to go and the FWL/Wobbies shaved half a tonne off the Mech’s armour spread out evenly across its frontal facings and limbs. 

EMP-6S FIRE ZE CANNONS!  Steiner not wanting to be left out of the ‘lets make an Emperor’ game went ahead and designed the 6S who’s sole purpose is to live in tight terrain and scare the bejasus out of anyone that comes close.  This thing is a Demolisher II on legs, there’s really no other way of putting it and of course it’s a Steiner design so this means BIG autocannons.  A pair of LB-20X autocannons takes up the vast bulk of the 6S’s tonnage and they are supported by trio of Medium pulse lasers and a standard medium laser. In point blank engagements or against tanks this machine is without a doubt devastating and the LB autocannons can also do unpleasant things to aircraft as well and with six tonnes of ammo you can afford to take the shots.  Of course the brutally short range of its firepower also means this machine NEEDS support in terrain that is not a city or a dense forest.

EMP-7L – Sneak sneak BOOM.   Another Capellan effort the 7L goes back to its stealth armoured roots as well as retaining the TSM of the 6L but the weapons fit is quite different and it’s more a brawling stealth Mech rather than the usual sniper faire offered.  To save weight the jump jets were removed and the weapons fit altered to a pair of standard AC-10’s which are there to use (and abuse) the new types of ammo for the old type cannons of which six tonnes of ammo are carried.  Everything else is replaced by an ER Large and a pair of medium pulse lasers.  I view this as a bodyguard for the more traditional Capellan Stealth armour Mech’s which tend to be snipers with limited short range weapons.  Like its 6L the 7L is powered by a standard engine but it’s fitted with a pair of extra double heatsinks.  One HUGE flaw in this design is its ammo storage.  All six tonnes of AC ammo are stored on one place in the right torso.  Mr Murphy and Sod of Law are waiting to say hello to you with this machine and crits.

EMP-8L A blackout era refit that proves the Emperor is alive and well even in 3145.  The Jump jets are back and the TSM and stealth armour are still here making this Mech still VERY Capellan.  Also making an appearance again are the two LB-10’s of the 6A but the supporting weapons are all brand new.  Two s̶t̶o̶l̶e̶n̶ borrowed Medium Re-engineered lasers counter advanced armour shenanigans whilst making it even more Cappie a Plasma Rifle with a two tonne ammo bin finishes off the armament.  The big bore cannons have four tonnes of ammo between them allowing for a nice mix of cluster and solid rounds and again for a Stealth Mech its more a multi-role unit rather than the de-rigure sniper Mech’s so beloved by the Capellans.  Then again I suppose they have so many of those that this works well for close encounters.

Thoughts
The Emperor family is a line of generally solid troopers with only one being the exception with the 6M being the sniper of the family but this fits in with the Word of Blake’s modus operandi and C3I integration.  As a Mech you have one for almost every flavour and situation, if you want a city fighter there’s one, need a sniper? No problem! Many flavours of Capellan stealth also await you if you want to be sneaky and shooty and the 6A is a general all round solid trooper.

Like many of the TRO-3058 Mech’s the Emperor is a solid, reliable and pretty balanced machine, its got good protection and firepower but is balanced by its XL engine (Unless you’re a Cappie stealthbot and then you have huge heat issues).  Although not the cheapest Mech around due to their BV the Emperor is a generally solid Assault Mech regardless of the flavour you choose.  Fighting one is really a matter of bringing big guns and hammering away.

The ‘standard’ 6A’s a mid-range fighter so long range weapons work well against it whilst the 6S is built for short range combat and does not have the long range weapons of larger if similarly armed machines like the King Crab to fall back on whilst  closing.  Against the Stealther’s it’s a case of closing the range and if possible setting them on fire to try and limit their return fire or force them to shut off their stealth armour.  The Empy is also quite lumbering so faster Mech’s with long range guns are definitely the way to go.  Either way these machines are going to take a pounding to bring down, yes they have an IS XL engine (in some cases) and this is a weak spot but to pack the firepower and protection on its a needful thing.

The Classic original 1A Emperor

The False Emperor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvIJvPj_pjE  - Brrrrrrrrt for reference.  This to me is the sound that RAC's make.

As always comments are most welcome :)
« Last Edit: 19 August 2015, 06:44:27 by marauder648 »
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Nightsong

• Warrant Officer
Re: Another Mech of the week! EM-XX Emperor (More!? YOU WANT MORE!?)
« Reply #1 on: 18 August 2015, 02:49:42 »
I've always been rather fond of the EMP-6A since I got 3067. The mix of LB10-Xs and Large Lasers are a great one-two punch, with no significant heat issues. I hadn't seen any of the new ones until this article, but the 6D is rather nice. the Steiner is typical overcompensation, but I am fond of the LB20-X (hides my supply of KGC-005s...) The 6M is basically a Vanquisher on a diet. The 6L is alright... except you will have heat issues trying to fire that ER PPC while the Stealth Armor's up, but that's exactly when you want the Stealth Armor up. At least you still have the GR to fall back on every other turn when you're cooling down but unless you're in a position where you don't have to move, you're going to be a slug 50 percent of the time. Park it in some woods or something and it's not so bad.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #2 on: 18 August 2015, 03:21:30 »
I'm glad you enjoyed the article, I didn't know about some of the variants until I sat down to write them.  It was also when I wrote M for Marik that I realised that the XD/S/M/C etc all means its the realm they are for or designed by. 
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 18 August 2015, 08:30:04 »
Its always been a solid unit, and it has the luck to be built by Star Corps so they can afford to produce different variants in different Houses (though I wonder about if they're able to sell the variants to other Houses..sure, they might have had technology restrictions at some point, but certainly post-Jihad those are irrelevant.

There are also two more variants, both custom. The Nerran comes from RS Unique 'Mechs, and swaps a LB10-X, Large Laser and the medium and medium pulse lasers for an ERPPC and a Clantech Gauss Rifle with 2 tons of ammo.

The other custom comes from JTP Atreus and is the ride of the commander of the FWL's Dark Shadows, and is called the "EMP-6ME Mercury Elite." It takes the 6M and drops all of its weapons, equipment and jump jets (and some of its armor), for 2 Silver Bullet Gauss Rifles, two Snub-Nose PPCs and 2 MPLs, with a c3 slave.

Also, the MUL lists two other designs, neither of which have much data on them, and might be placeholders for other variants whose designations got changed or something. The EMP-X and the EMP-6M2.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #4 on: 18 August 2015, 10:15:51 »
I might be in the minority here, but I really like the EMP-6M. I've found that it's a great unit to match up with the other legions of Light Gauss/ER Large Laser FWL assault 'Mechs. Its ability to overheat and charge up that TSM on a dime makes it a real menace and a very interesting bodyguard.

I'm definitely looking forward to the (eventual) release of the EMP-6M2 refit. It was first mentioned in FM:3085, IIRC, as a refit of older -6Ms that replace the c3i with a standard slave and...well, that's the real question. The EMP-6M is positively critpacked, there's no space for the typical c3/ECM swap. Indeed, one of the only things that would fit within the remaining one crit and 1.5 tons would be an iOS missile rack, but any other item would require finding more crits one way or another.

Never been much of a fan of the other Emperors, though. The Steiner one is way too short-ranged, the Davion and standard models have XLs on a 3/5 chassis (not a huge fan of that), the 6L works but is kind of...eh. The 7L and 8L aren't my cup of tea either. The original -1A, though, is actually a pretty powerful thing in its own era. Most of the Primitives have very low armor, so the -1A's 273 points really make it stand out.

Thanks for the article!
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Nightgaun7

• Warrant Officer
  • The ends justify the means.
    • Built for War - A BattleTech TRO by fans like you!
« Reply #5 on: 18 August 2015, 10:23:25 »
The Emperor 6S has held a place in my heart ever since I jumped it into the middle of an enemy assault lance and killed a King Crab, a Thunder Hawk, and a Devastator in a singe turn - headcap with slug, engine crit with cluster, and kicked the head off the last. As you may imagine, my opponent suffered a morale failure and quit the field.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 18 August 2015, 10:57:16 »
I might be in the minority here, but I really like the EMP-6M. I've found that it's a great unit to match up with the other legions of Light Gauss/ER Large Laser FWL assault 'Mechs. Its ability to overheat and charge up that TSM on a dime makes it a real menace and a very interesting bodyguard.

Amusingly, its almost a carbon copy of the 2A Vanquisher in terms of weapons. The Vanquisher wins on heat sinks, though the Emperor with its jump jets and TSM probably wins on movement. Still, if you can't fit a Vanquisher into your force, the cheaper Emperor might be an option.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #7 on: 18 August 2015, 11:53:28 »
Amusingly, its almost a carbon copy of the 2A Vanquisher in terms of weapons. The Vanquisher wins on heat sinks, though the Emperor with its jump jets and TSM probably wins on movement. Still, if you can't fit a Vanquisher into your force, the cheaper Emperor might be an option.

Unsurprisingly, I'm also a big fan of the Vanquisher. I'll be eternally disappointed that no non-c3i refits were ever made for it.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #8 on: 18 August 2015, 15:19:32 »
I generally like this thing, but i was found it strange when the 5A came out in 3058 Upgrade's record sheets.  I thought,okay this must be the first Emperor.  Now we have the primitive Emperor too.  I wonder if that was planned?

Thank you writing up pretty snazzy article, Marauder648!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #9 on: 18 August 2015, 15:31:43 »
The -6ME becomes particularly frightening when you remember that the scenario it is meant to take part in is fought in vacuum conditions. Imagine what those SBGRs are gonna do to enemies now...
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #10 on: 18 August 2015, 20:52:27 »
Love the Emperor, have two of the minis sitting on the desk right now though they are not the greatest IMO.  I always wanted to see a -6A2 that just brought it in line with the 3050s, putting ERLLs in for the old LLs.  I also think it is interesting the the -5A's load out is duplicated by the Rifleman (same as the RFL-7M and EMP-6M) which makes me wonder how that would fluff out.

Biggest problem I have with the Emperor is that Sunny was known to pilot one.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 18 August 2015, 21:48:27 »
Biggest problem I have with the Emperor is that Sunny was known to pilot one.

Well, he tells everyone he pilots one. I'm not sure he actually ever actually pilots it :) (Past Double Blind atleast)
« Last Edit: 18 August 2015, 21:50:39 by Maelwys »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Re: Another Mech of the week! EMP-XX Emperor (More!? YOU WANT MORE!?)
« Reply #12 on: 20 August 2015, 23:35:39 »
The Emperor 6S is one mech that I got banned at my gaming table after getting 11s and 12s on the Cluster rolls two turns in a row.  No more dual LB20-Xs.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 21 August 2015, 04:34:58 »

I'm definitely looking forward to the (eventual) release of the EMP-6M2 refit. It was first mentioned in FM:3085, IIRC, as a refit of older -6Ms that replace the c3i with a standard slave and...well, that's the real question. The EMP-6M is positively critpacked, there's no space for the typical c3/ECM swap. Indeed, one of the only things that would fit within the remaining one crit and 1.5 tons would be an iOS missile rack, but any other item would require finding more crits one way or another.
Both an ER Pulse Small Laser or a Small Re-Engineered Laser would fit.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #14 on: 21 August 2015, 08:59:43 »
Both an ER Pulse Small Laser or a Small Re-Engineered Laser would fit.

The refit comes in kind of early for a mixed-tech design with an ER Pulse, while the Small Re-Eng Laser simply didn't exist yet at the time of the -6M2's inception.

I think it's more likely that something gets armored, or the ER Medium gets swapped out with a Medium Pulse to sink more tonnage.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #15 on: 11 April 2016, 11:04:44 »
Quote from: <redacted>
Upon presenting his recovered relic, Nerran was offered the opportunity to Trial for the rank of Star Commander. In handily defeating his opponent’s Summoner, Nerran knew this would be his ‘Mech. Despite his frequent refusal of offers of an OmniMech, Nerran’s combat performance has continued to excel...and you'll have to wait for the rest of the sentence
« Last Edit: 11 April 2016, 11:22:04 by wantec »
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 11 April 2016, 12:16:40 »
I wonder. Emperor IIC during the Golden Century (ie a tidbit for TRO Golden Century) or something for Spotlight On series (teased in the WoB thread)?
Either way, gonna be interesting.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 11 April 2016, 14:57:36 »
Ah.  The Emperor, one of my fave assaults in the 90 ton bracket, next to the Highlander and Cyclops.

Of the variants, i always had fun playing the 6A, L and S (the S mostly)..  The armor is always decent on these beast, and depending on whether you want close in or far away, you always have an option...
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #18 on: 11 April 2016, 15:45:36 »
I think the Emperor 6A is one of those designs that will benefit from incorporating Clan spec weapons in 3140s.  Not for the clusterguns, but for the Large Lasers.  Make them Clan spec and while you only gain 4 more points of damage total they now reach out 6 more hexes to reach farther than most IS weapons.

I do think it sort of suffers in the artwork in the TRO though I do like the gold Emperor dropping in Wars of the Republic.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Iracundus

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #19 on: 11 April 2016, 19:55:04 »
Which variant was Sun-Tzu Liao's gold plated one?  Or was that a custom variant?

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #20 on: 11 April 2016, 20:14:45 »
Don't remember where it was said, but I'm under the impression he drove a stock -6A.
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #21 on: 11 April 2016, 20:16:52 »
At least it started off that way . . . and I am pretty sure it was first brought up in Double Blind where I think it had a special paint job but not the gold later seen.
Colt Ward

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #22 on: 11 April 2016, 20:31:11 »
I think the Emperor 6A is one of those designs that will benefit from incorporating Clan spec weapons in 3140s.  Not for the clusterguns, but for the Large Lasers.  Make them Clan spec and while you only gain 4 more points of damage total they now reach out 6 more hexes to reach farther than most IS weapons.

Actually, you get 10 more hexes, since the 6A mounts standard large lasers.  Of course, you also get 8 more heat, but the extra tonnage from converting to Clan lasers and ACs can be used to deal with that.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #23 on: 11 April 2016, 20:45:32 »
Hm, for some reason I was thinking they were ERLL though I might be thinking of one of the updates.  Forget the clusterguns, very small improvement- just the laser swap works well.
Colt Ward

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #24 on: 11 April 2016, 20:49:12 »
Upon presenting his recovered relic, Nerran was offered the opportunity to Trial for the rank of Star Commander. In handily defeating his opponent’s Summoner, Nerran knew this would be his ‘Mech. Despite his frequent refusal of offers of an OmniMech, Nerran’s combat performance has continued to excel...and you'll have to wait for the rest of the sentence

****** I love the Scorps. I swear, I'm buying this product the moment it drops.

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #25 on: 11 April 2016, 20:55:39 »
Wait...isn't that the guy from RS: Unique Mechs?

*checks*

Yup. Nerran and his partially upgraded Emperor are in RS:U. O0
My wife writes books

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #26 on: 11 April 2016, 21:15:43 »
So the teaser I saw drop in the Scorpion thread for that . . . is this before they became the Emperio?  If not, I could easily see a mixtech Emperor 6A becoming their assault mech of choice.
Colt Ward

Diplominator

• Lieutenant
  • Tactful Tactician
« Reply #27 on: 11 April 2016, 21:59:00 »

Holy hell...I think I wrote this! At least the original, if it's been changed. That was like a decade ago.

EDIT: Okay, yeah, not these specific words, but the original TRO. I've long lamented the fact that I did a writeup for a Clan I didn't actually pay much attention to. It'd be rad as hell if something cool ended up coming of it.
« Last Edit: 11 April 2016, 22:56:34 by Diplominator »

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 11 April 2016, 22:57:45 »

I do think it sort of suffers in the artwork in the TRO though I do like the gold Emperor dropping in Wars of the Republic.

Not every IS mech though needs to incorporate clan tech just to make it good.  IMO its good as is.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #29 on: 11 April 2016, 23:09:47 »
I am not saying that . . . I DO think the Larges at least need to become IS ERs.  I was merely pointing out with its speed making them Clan spec and leaving the rest IS turns it into even more of a monster.  Feds would not have too many- about the only thing I can see doing that would be the Clan Protectorate in the NeoLeague if they get their hands on any . . . but then, they have the Julianos so . . .
Colt Ward

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #30 on: 12 April 2016, 07:14:50 »
Holy hell...I think I wrote this! At least the original, if it's been changed. That was like a decade ago.

EDIT: Okay, yeah, not these specific words, but the original TRO. I've long lamented the fact that I did a writeup for a Clan I didn't actually pay much attention to. It'd be rad as hell if something cool ended up coming of it.
I'm glad you spoke up. I tried looking up the nickname they had in RS:UM, but I didn't find it on here.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Diplominator

• Lieutenant
  • Tactful Tactician
« Reply #31 on: 12 April 2016, 19:38:02 »
I'm glad you spoke up. I tried looking up the nickname they had in RS:UM, but I didn't find it on here.

Yeah, I was bouncing between nicknames back then. Settled on Diplominator a little after RS:UM, much to my chagrin.

Thanks for using Nerran!

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: 06 September 2017, 21:55:14 »
****** I love the Scorps. I swear, I'm buying this product the moment it drops.

Same! Do we think we will see the primitive emperor get a mini? I like that art much better!

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #33 on: 08 September 2017, 02:04:54 »
I'd help fan fund it too.

Same! Do we think we will see the primitive emperor get a mini? I like that art much better!

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 08 September 2017, 04:29:05 »
 [drool]

THUD

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #35 on: 08 September 2017, 10:27:41 »

I thought I was the only person who loved LGRs. Every time I mention them people pile on about how they suck. Maybe we can form a support group?   [blank]

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 08 September 2017, 18:53:56 »
I thought I was the only person who loved LGRs. Every time I mention them people pile on about how they suck. Maybe we can form a support group?   [blank]
Not going to join a support group, but I agree the LGR is way underrated. An AC/5 it isn't! While it's not as good as the standard GR the extra range and lower weight does make it quite a decent gun.

Nightsong

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #37 on: 08 September 2017, 23:56:08 »
I like LGRs too. They make fun refits for old-tech 'Mechs or Vehicles with AC/10s if you're needing fire support. I rather like a CN9-A using that refit in a pinch. Only reason I don't actually use them is because I don't play FWL or WOB and nobody else really uses it.

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: 03 December 2021, 23:39:54 »

I hope you read the Eridani Light Horse Chronicles story "No Dust, No Wear," then (available on the amazon kindle store and in the BattleShop)

tiny spoiler: your boy appears by page 2  8)  :)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #39 on: 04 December 2021, 16:08:31 »
Spent my drive home yesterday pondering if the Emperor 5A would have been 'good' to be more common and around in the 3SW era.  DPS barely above a medium mech, slow, well armored & sinked, but it has a bit more mobility with the JJ.  I mean for PCs, it is a great way to give them a assault, though it is barely more useful than the Small Laser armed Charger.  Unlike some of the later '3025' era designs, I just do not think the Emperor 5A breaks the setting.

I mean, if I got it as a merc . . . probably the first thing I would do would be swapping a single AC/5 for a PPC or LL, cut down on ammo and increase ranged damage with the sinks to actually use the weapon.  Tossing the JJs is also a open question.
Colt Ward

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #40 on: 04 December 2021, 20:34:24 »
Spent my drive home yesterday pondering if the Emperor 5A would have been 'good' to be more common and around in the 3SW era.  DPS barely above a medium mech, slow, well armored & sinked, but it has a bit more mobility with the JJ.  I mean for PCs, it is a great way to give them a assault, though it is barely more useful than the Small Laser armed Charger.  Unlike some of the later '3025' era designs, I just do not think the Emperor 5A breaks the setting.

I mean, if I got it as a merc . . . probably the first thing I would do would be swapping a single AC/5 for a PPC or LL, cut down on ammo and increase ranged damage with the sinks to actually use the weapon.  Tossing the JJs is also a open question.

concur, and I think a custom 3025 emperor (say, in a "spotlight on" series PDF kinda thing) with your build would both be fun on the table and a natural, non-world-breaking variant that makes sense canonically

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #41 on: 07 December 2021, 05:19:40 »
Just wanted to note here as a CapCon player that the 6L is low-key one of the best assault 'Mechs in the CCAF's arsenal. It pairs beautifully with a number of other stealth designs, particularly the PLG-4Z, the ARC-7L and the CRD-7L, and until the debut of the Marauder II 4L in RS 3145 NTNU, it was nearly irreplaceable.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #42 on: 07 December 2021, 10:37:39 »
Yeah, the 6L gets overshadowed by the Pillager 4Z but it has some endurance.  I definitely think it is better than the 7L, the real issue however is how easy is it to maintain that proper heat for movement.

You know, now that I think about it . . . I actually used a Emperor 6A fit on a Dire Wolf minus JJ back in the FGC days, never made the link back then . . . but such a thing would be even more insane now if you still had the room for IJJ.

As time has gone on, I have to say I am still digging the primitive Emperor mini.  I keep one sitting on my desk so that I will eventually paint it . . . which has not happened in the last 3 or 4 years.
Colt Ward

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: 03 January 2022, 22:27:53 »
Just wanted to note here as a CapCon player that the 6L is low-key one of the best assault 'Mechs in the CCAF's arsenal. It pairs beautifully with a number of other stealth designs, particularly the PLG-4Z, the ARC-7L and the CRD-7L, and until the debut of the Marauder II 4L in RS 3145 NTNU, it was nearly irreplaceable.

I'm also a frequent Capellan player and the EMP-6L has been my favorite Capellan design to play over the past year. Oh, and the new-ish miniature from IWM really shines and fits in well with the newer plastic minis from CGL. 

The Gauss, ERPPC, and Stealth Armor combo is awesome. Basically you can snipe or quickly build up heat and use TSM to close range for some short range action.

Register