Author Topic: Davion Vs Kurita The Oldest Dance in the Successor states.  (Read 5187 times)

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
In the Early 30th century  House Kurtia and House Davion knocked the snot out of each other.
This is one of those pointless battles.
We chose to run a Alpha Strike Game on the last day of a con here last Month.

With the Draconian forces preforming a combat drop in order to take the Davion area.
Here are the Davions Starting positions as they await to repel all attackers.

Turn 1
Tai-sa Dlyan drops his heavier units right on the command center. With the lighter elements landing further away to try prevent damage.
They only have two mechs that suffer issues in the drop with the Spider and the Banshee messing up and taking damage.
As the Davions I used my fast units to try finish off the spider that had landed out of cover. While the majority of my forces moved on the reinforced assault lance viewing it as the bigger treat.
While both sides Skirmishing lances moving to engage each other.
With the Kurtians unable to fire but still getting a +3 for the drop they take a Minor smattering of armour damage.
But all survive.

Turn 2

The Dracs are in the fight this turn. And they let me know it.  I start taking armor damage from all sides. The Hunchback getting lucky with several of the assault mechs missing it.
The Harrashers get behind his Sniper lance and go to work on the Catapult.
While my main force inside the base Drop the Banshee and strip the armor from the Cyclops.
The Enforcers lance mess up their attempts to drop Grand Dragon but do a bit of damage to it.

Turn 3
The Davions put their backs to the wall as the Ryuken surround them.
The Harrashers continue to batter the Catapult.  The command have the honor of being the focus of the Davion firepower. It pays off as the Awesome goes down.  It is quickly followed by the Dragon that  moved to assist it.  The Infantry pay off by doing some crits to the Atlas.
In retaliation the flanking  Victor takes a battering  and goes down.  While the medium lance has a lot of it armor removed.

Turn 4
The Kurita Sniper lance reforms in the woods closer to the target base.  Hoping they can contribute a bit more to the game.  The Clint joins the Harrashers but they fail to do any more damage to the Catapult.
It’s now the Davion s force turn to do the surrounding and the remains of the enemy command lance are taken from all sides. 
Both sides loose a Cyclops this turn.  The Drac Atlas takes more crits loosing FCS, Dam and Movement. But it still stays upright.
The Davions are still taking a pasting on the armor front. And the hatchetman takes FC hits. But Lorcan just keeps missing out on downing mechs for good.  While I appear  able to finish off his units.

Turn 5
Tai-Sa Dylan may have left it to late to bring his lighter forces to the battle.
The Sniper lance move closer again. But loose a Panther to the pursuing trio.
Meanwhile recon force finally get into the fight pinging the defenders as they come around.  Incoming shots on them fail to find their targets.
The Davions exit the base and regroup on the far aside away from many of the Drac mechs incoming.  They end the Grasshopper threat  as they leave.  And the neutered Atlas goes down removing all of the command lance from the game.

Turn 6
This turn was brutal. I lose the Hatchetman,Blackjack and an Enforcer to the more mobile mechs running around the back lines. 
The Spider and a Jenner pay the price for this thou.  And the Cicada and Catapult are both down to 1 piont of structure. Only two of the Sniper lance remain undamaged on the Drac side.
The last of the easy kills on the Davion side having been removed this turn. Lorcan puts forward the notion of a tactical retreat to Tai-sa Dylan.

Aftermath
Lorcan claimed a Moral Victory for making me abandon the HQ. I claim that I was still HQ adjacent on that front.  A fun 3025 game. Interesting to play AS with lower Damage output than the 3050 era units.
Again I think it's the fast units that win out in AlphaStrike time and time again. The Heavy hitters are great but if they can't connect they just get pinged to death.

Also really happy with how the Tankers worked out for the Davions. Paired fire-teams are awesome fun.Can't help but feel they would have gone down easy had he focused on them. But that would have meant ignoring the mech threats.
And it's been such a long time since we combat dropped. Which was nice to have happen again.
Lorcan did point out that I could have removed the panthers if I had focused on them instead of the Catapult. But I stand by my choice.

After Victory  I had a quick word with the Kuritian Commander!
 Tai-sa  Dylan is less than impressed with the Davion Victory Salute!

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Davion Vs Kurita The Oldest Dance in the Successor states.
« Reply #1 on: 10 November 2015, 15:30:18 »
The oldest dance you say?

I say the ONLY dance.  Everything that's not Davion and Kurita is a side show to the main event.

Awesome-looking game, btw.  I'm always pleased with how Alpha Strike represents the battles of the BTU.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #2 on: 12 November 2015, 18:57:47 »
It may not be evident from the photos, but all the mechs used for the game were intro box or lance pack plastics too.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

jairb

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 13 November 2015, 14:24:44 »
What were the total points?

Looks like it was lots of fun!

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #4 on: 13 November 2015, 16:11:10 »
I can't find the PDFs of the unit cards, but I think it was about 450.  I'd need to dig the printed cards out and count to see exactly.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #5 on: 13 November 2015, 17:47:29 »
Think it was closer to the 500 points value.

The mechs have all been Painted by Lorcan for the purposes of Con games.
And they make a very pretty looking force too. That he can add to his Ryuken if he wants.

jairb

• Corporal
« Reply #6 on: 13 November 2015, 18:07:52 »
I think all of the AARs would be more helpful to new folks if the force structures were included in the post.  People frequently ask, in the Alpha Strike forum at least, about how to construct forces and I think the examples of experienced players in this section would be really instructive.

It's really great that you took so many photos of the game too!

Register