Author Topic: (Answered) Infantry Secondary Weapon Special Abilities  (Read 3093 times)

Fireangel

• Major
  • 7397 posts right down the toilet...
(Answered) Infantry Secondary Weapon Special Abilities
« on: 03 April 2016, 11:23:03 »
I have a question regarding the special abilities of weapons in infantry platoons.

The note for the Special Feature section of the Infantry Weapon Classifications table (TM pp. 148) states: "*Unless otherwise stated, these effects apply for the full platoon’s attack, regardless of the number of weapons per squad."

The only "otherwise noted" special ability is "B" (Heavy Burst Weapon): :**Platoon to-hit and damage bonus only if assigned to a minimum of 2 troopers per squad."

TM pp. 149 (second paragraph, second sentence) states: "These letter codes indicate if the listed weapon has any special effects, which apply to the platoon's entire attack if the weapon is employed as either a Primary or Secondary Weapon (though in some cases, a minimum quantity per squad may be required)."

This wording seems to indicate that a "B" weapons are the only ones that require 2 per squad to "activate" the effect for the squad/platoon. This would mean that a squad of 7 troopers, six armed with Intek laser rifles and one with a flamer or light AA weapon will qualify as a "flamer" or "anti-aircraft" unit, respectively (meaning that it is AA all the way out to a range of 9 hexes).

I was under the impression that such special abilities only come into play if the special ability weapon determines the infantry unit's range.

Reviewing the AA, Flamer, Burst, and Non-penetrating infantry units in TRO: 3085, all units with said designations have at 2 special ability weapons per squad.

TM Errata (v 3.02) sheds no light on this issue.

So the question is this: Can a squad with only one "A" or "F" special ability weapon as a secondary/support weapon gain that weapon's special ability for its full attack?
« Last Edit: 20 July 2023, 17:56:34 by Xotl »

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: (Research) Infantry Secondary Weapon Special Abilities
« Reply #1 on: 08 June 2016, 19:28:19 »
Weapons with the A (anti-air) and F (flame) special effects do only require a single weapon per squad to gain the effect.  This has been made clearer in the latest errata.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Fireangel

• Major
Re: (Answered) Infantry Secondary Weapon Special Abilities
« Reply #2 on: 09 June 2016, 09:56:22 »
Thanks for the answer!

I just checked the latest errata (3.1), but don't see anything that would make this particular point clearer. Am I missing something?

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #3 on: 10 June 2016, 13:50:35 »
Download the TM errata again, because the entries in question were a bit messed up.  Then check the entries for p. 148.  If something is missing/still not clear, specifically let me know what needs to be clear and I'll take it up with the infantry fellows.  Thanks!
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Fireangel

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 10 June 2016, 16:00:00 »
Download the TM errata again, because the entries in question were a bit messed up.  Then check the entries for p. 148.  If something is missing/still not clear, specifically let me know what needs to be clear and I'll take it up with the infantry fellows.  Thanks!

Just found it. Thanks! O0