Author Topic: Experimental ISaW game: Your thoughts?  (Read 3701 times)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Experimental ISaW game: Your thoughts?
« on: 23 May 2016, 20:18:35 »
So Monbvol and I have been tossing ideas back and forth over running an Inner Sphere at War game. Mostly over how to simplify to make record keeping easier.

Monbvol is all over how to tweek the rules and mechanics, because that's his thing (man is a human calculator, if you ever face him over a map never, ever give him time to think, because if there's a convoluted plan he can come up with to destroy you, he'll do it.)

I had a different thought, more a diagnostic method. We use the rules as printed in the book, use the 3025 map, except...

Every player starts with only one world of their choice, which has the minor industrial and National Capital trait. Every other world is an uncontrolled "other" world with a basic garrison that does not produce resource points or build things until taken by one of the players (Terra is the exception, as it gets to be a Hyper Industrial world with as many troops as its resource points can support, kind of a boss battle situation).

We play until 1)the system becomes too unwieldy to play, or 2) we all get bored with it.

Thoughts?
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
Re: Experimental ISaW game: Your thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2016, 21:19:33 »
That could be fun indeed.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2016, 21:24:15 »
Just thought of an addition covering mercenaries: Any Terran Combat Commands outside of the standard garrison will be available for hiring as mercenaries. Attacking any world within one hex of Terra results in immediate forfeiture of any employed Terran Mercenaries.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2016, 21:49:19 »
Are you going to persist with ACS? I must admit, the simplest thing would be to unlink that at some level, and just bang combat commands/regiments against each other at a simpler level.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2016, 22:01:19 »
Initially, I'll probably stick with ACS, though it looks like we're going to need generic ACS units to avoid having to build every regiment by hand.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2016, 22:08:09 »
This will be an interesting experiment for sure but I do suspect ACS is going to be the biggest problem of them all.

I'm already having an idea how to get ACS stats but I'll have to re-read the rules to see how well it'll work.

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2016, 22:18:34 »
I am somewhat of an expert at creating ACS stats, actually.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 24 May 2016, 01:52:05 »
I really wish something like this was provided in IO or the like, a starter game with very small factions so that people can get used to how the game plays

Dulahan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 10 June 2016, 10:44:40 »
I really wish something like this was provided in IO or the like, a starter game with very small factions so that people can get used to how the game plays

Canopus vs Taurians?   (Or Marian Hegemony?)

Though yeah, there's a LOT going on in ISAW.  Personally, I hope some enterprising person with more computer programming literacy than I someday programs a program to handle all the fiddly parts via computer.  So I can actually play it online.  Sure, probably no AI, but that's fine.  Set up a lobby, let people make moves, etc.  That would be sweet.  The computer can handle all the record keeping and rolls and such!

ScrapYardArmory

• Master Sergeant
    • ScrapYardArmory
« Reply #9 on: 14 June 2016, 13:11:56 »
I like this idea and would like to help.

What do you have done so far?

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 16 June 2016, 05:24:24 »
Honestly, not much at the moment. The game is on hold for... reasons.

ScrapYardArmory

• Master Sergeant
    • ScrapYardArmory
« Reply #11 on: 16 June 2016, 10:44:24 »
Honestly, not much at the moment. The game is on hold for... reasons.

I hate reasons...

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #12 on: 28 July 2016, 03:41:06 »
Have a look at...the FRR circa 3039.

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #13 on: 08 August 2016, 07:50:31 »
Going one bit better and reducing the need to look up unit values.....the Alshain Regulars circa 3039