Author Topic: Hidden DropPort // HexMap #2  (Read 4981 times)

Leftovernoodles

• Corporal
Hidden DropPort // HexMap #2
« on: 29 August 2016, 20:41:50 »
I bring you attempt number two at making my own Battletech Map now with more photoshop.  This time around I made the hexes closer in size the classic maps.  I've also been trying a new labeling process and generally trying to learn me some photoshop.  Please let me know if you have any feedback, constructive criticism or future maps ideas.

Hidden DropPort Sized for Viewing

Hidden DropPort 145mb

Hidden DropPort (without DropShips)145mb

And of course, what map-pack would be complete without a Mission

If anyone wants to help me play test I've has good luck with PosterPrintFactory being both quick and not too expensive. 
« Last Edit: 29 August 2016, 20:50:00 by Leftovernoodles »

Recklessfireball1

• Master Sergeant
Re: Hidden DropPort // HexMap #2
« Reply #1 on: 30 August 2016, 08:24:10 »
Beautiful map.  I can't imagine how long it must have taken you to label all the hexes.  Nice work! 

Baron RedSkull

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm bringin' macho back!
    • Tidewater Battletech Club
« Reply #2 on: 30 August 2016, 10:02:37 »
Hmm...
That looks a lot like Mapmaster's dropport map.
Why not Zoidberg?

(V){;,,,;}(V)

Leftovernoodles

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 30 August 2016, 11:21:15 »
Beautiful map.  I can't imagine how long it must have taken you to label all the hexes.  Nice work!

Labeling isn't so bad.   The Runway took about 5x as long as the labeling did.

Hmm...
That looks a lot like Mapmaster's dropport map.

Probably, we both used this image from Knox County Maine as a base. I did try to do something a bit different with my take.  There is not a lot of high quality images floating around for less than $500 a pop.  I've found a lot of the assets that Mapmaster used looking for high dpi satellite images to work with.
« Last Edit: 30 August 2016, 11:35:28 by Leftovernoodles »

shadhawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: 30 August 2016, 12:38:25 »
nice looking map  8)

Mapmaster

• Warrant Officer
  • You're going to need a bigger table
    • Mapmaster Battlemaps
« Reply #5 on: 06 September 2016, 21:14:14 »
I bring you attempt number two at making my own Battletech Map now with more photoshop.  This time around I made the hexes closer in size the classic maps.  I've also been trying a new labeling process and generally trying to learn me some photoshop.  Please let me know if you have any feedback, constructive criticism or future maps ideas.

Hidden DropPort 145mb

If anyone wants to help me play test I've has good luck with PosterPrintFactory being both quick and not too expensive.

Nice work! What program are you using to generate your buildings?

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #6 on: 06 September 2016, 22:06:08 »
Nice work! What program are you using to generate your buildings?
Just going to hazard a guess, but Google Earth perhaps? Shadows are close but all buildings do not appear to match up with all other buildings.

Mapmaster

• Warrant Officer
  • You're going to need a bigger table
    • Mapmaster Battlemaps
« Reply #7 on: 07 September 2016, 19:27:17 »
Just going to hazard a guess, but Google Earth perhaps? Shadows are close but all buildings do not appear to match up with all other buildings.

yeah, i should have specified the drop ships. those were nice. i've got sketchup models of them, but they lack some of the details.

one of the things i try to keep consistent in mapmaster maps is the overall graininess of the image. if i import foreign images, i always try to match them to the quality of the original photo. i think it helps with the suspension of disbelief.

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 07 September 2016, 23:33:21 »
are those cessnas parked on the ramp?

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #9 on: 09 September 2016, 12:12:31 »
Nice job!
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Leftovernoodles

• Corporal
« Reply #10 on: 12 September 2016, 09:22:21 »
yeah, i should have specified the drop ships. those were nice. i've got sketchup models of them, but they lack some of the details.

one of the things i try to keep consistent in mapmaster maps is the overall graininess of the image. if i import foreign images, i always try to match them to the quality of the original photo. i think it helps with the suspension of disbelief.

Dropships are from Heavy Metal Maps.  With a Gaussian Blur and a slightly lesser deblur applied in Photoshop to get rid of the jaggies and trying to get a matching level of fuzziness.  I have been using an ancient version of Photoshop and Affinity Designer.  Making Battletech maps is my way of trying to learn graphic design.

are those cessnas parked on the ramp?

Transatmospheric Sub Orbital Shuttles.

Infidel439

• Recruit
« Reply #11 on: 18 February 2017, 21:06:20 »

Hidden DropPort 145mb

Noodles, what settings would one have to use to print at home on a normal printer by sections? I love the concept, but can't see having it custom made for a one off.

Ratboy

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 21 February 2017, 14:41:59 »
Most printers have a setting for Poster Printing. The print driver itself should divide up the image and you can specify the overlap.
Jim Williamson - CDT Agent #206
NJ, USA

Register