Author Topic: Washes: Vallejo vs GW  (Read 3338 times)

Konrath

• Corporal
Washes: Vallejo vs GW
« on: 17 September 2016, 13:36:06 »
So I'm new to painting. I'll be painting mainly with Vallejo Model colour for my mechs. I've heard mixed reviews on the Vallejo Model colour washes. Have they fixed their issues? I'm mainly looking for black, grey and brown washes. Should I use GW instead for the washes? What looks best on mechs that aren't finicky to use? I dont really want to create my own at this point.

Also what do you guys recommend for metallics like gold, metal, bronze?

Kiff_Stevenson

• Master Sergeant
  • Mini by Psycho @ camospecs.com - Thanks Joel!
Re: Washes: Vallejo vs GW
« Reply #1 on: 17 September 2016, 14:19:35 »
Hi!

I haven't used Vallejo's washes, but I've had pretty good luck with GW's. The trick is not to let them pool. Also, I find you get a better 'flow' if you apply the wash over a glossy surface. This is sort of the opposite of what you want when you apply regular paint over a painted surface (there you want to paint over a matt surface because the bumpy texture provides better adhesion for the new layer).

There are lots of great metallics out there right now. I really like P3's range, but that's not to say that GW's aren't good too!

[Edit: spelling]

Konrath

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 17 September 2016, 14:46:44 »
Hi!

I haven't used Vallejo's washes, but I've had pretty good luck with GW's. The trick is not to let them pool. Also, I find you get a better 'flow' if you apply the wash over a glossy surface. This is sort of the opposite of what you want when you apply regular paint over a painted surface (there you want to paint over a matt surface because the bumpy texture provides better adhesion for the new layer).

There are lots of great metallics out there right now. I really like P3's range, but that's not to say that GW's aren't good too!

[Edit: spelling]

For metallics I was actually looking for washes to use on top of them. Not sure if people just use black/brown regular washes.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #3 on: 17 September 2016, 15:57:08 »
GW's metallics are great. I've had a mixed experience with Valejo - colours bad experience, but I do have one metallic, brass, which was good.

The one Valejo wash I have - black - needs to be watered down a lot for ordinary use.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Kiff_Stevenson

• Master Sergeant
  • Mini by Psycho @ camospecs.com - Thanks Joel!
« Reply #4 on: 17 September 2016, 15:59:55 »
I've only done it once, but a couple of the folks around here swear by an even mixture of black and brown wash for use on metallics that are meant to represent bare alloys.

SC_Dave

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 20 September 2016, 02:43:08 »
Konrath,

I did an all metallic paint job a while back. Cut and pasted a link below. If that doesn't work for you try a forum search for "falling skies tribute". The thread does mention the paints & techniques used.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=42467.msg977297#msg977297

KhanPhelanWard

• Corporal
« Reply #6 on: 20 September 2016, 11:34:54 »
I only use Vallejo, I have used GW onces or twices but I prefer the Vallejo ones. For the wash, you have to down it with water. Many times I use the wash instead of paint so...

But, you can do a wash of any colour with water, not need a specific one if you don't want to buy many paints.
Don't miss out on my Camospecs miniatures on ebay:

Konrath

• Corporal
« Reply #7 on: 20 September 2016, 20:35:50 »
Konrath,

I did an all metallic paint job a while back. Cut and pasted a link below. If that doesn't work for you try a forum search for "falling skies tribute". The thread does mention the paints & techniques used.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=42467.msg977297#msg977297

Thank you!

B1Bflyer

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 21 September 2016, 07:48:34 »
I'm making a video on mixing washes and what brands I use today so hopefully that will help you decide what you like best.

Ryumyo

• Warrant Officer
  • Out site seeing...
« Reply #9 on: 24 November 2016, 10:09:44 »
I wish GW would bring back the older ink line they had, stuff was awesome if done right. Can't do some things with mere " water-thin " paint wash, it doesn't work the same.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #10 on: 26 November 2016, 12:22:16 »
Don't use water for thinning paint for a pin wash. Use medium instead. Different surface tension makes a difference.

Ryumyo

• Warrant Officer
  • Out site seeing...
« Reply #11 on: 19 December 2016, 08:08:08 »
Where would one get medium at? Best source? I'll agree that water doesn't make the best pin wash.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 21 December 2016, 17:02:34 »
Most places that sell acrylic paints will also have thinners and mediums, and other assorted additives.