Author Topic: (Answered) Tracked SV on Aerospace Hull firing Sub-Capital Weapons  (Read 2069 times)

Cryhavok101

• Captain
Ground units on a vessel's hull: SO pg 119+ (this also says further rules for this would be in interstellar operations, but I didn't see anything about this in that book, so if I am just missing it, please let me know)
Surface to Orbit Fire: TO pg 109+

Situation:
I have a Tracked Support Vehicle that has driven out onto the hull of a Jumpship, armed with a sub-capital weapon, that wants to fire it at another large aerospace craft.

My understanding is:
-It is treated as a unit on a ground map
-Firing at something not on the hull, it uses the long range firing band
-Being a ground unit it would use the "surface-to-orbit" firing rules

Things I am not sure on and would like clarification:

1-Can it even fire? Typically non-aerospace units on the space map are restricted to only targeting things in the same space hex, however, this is technically not on the space map, but on a ground map that is travelling through the space map; and the weapon in question can normally be fired at units on the space map even when it is on the ground, so I think it can fire, but I am not 100% sure.

2-Assuming it can fire, and it would use the surface-to-orbit rules for firing, does the shot immediately enter the space map, or does it wait till the standard time (depending on the type of sub-capital weapon) to enter the space map as per normal surface-to-orbit fire rules? I ask this because it seems to me the time it takes to arrive on the space map involves forces that something on the surface of a vessel would not have to deal with, but rules seem don't seem to account for that.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: (Research) Tracked SV on Aerospace Hull firing Sub-Capital Weapons
« Reply #1 on: 15 November 2018, 13:50:28 »
1) You're on the space map, not the ground map.  The targeting restriction from page 119 applies.

2) See above.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0