Author Topic: Armored Fightning Vehicles MK III  (Read 239911 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: Armored Fightning Vehicles MK III
« Reply #1050 on: 09 December 2017, 21:14:55 »

Caption: "A Swedish tank crew discovers that the Centurion, is not in fact, buoyant."
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1051 on: 10 December 2017, 02:59:09 »
We do have some lovely terrain around here... ;)

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #1052 on: 10 December 2017, 16:46:49 »

Caption should have said: Muppet's Swedish Chef learns how to drive.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #1053 on: 10 December 2017, 17:20:09 »
wow that must be a pretty old photo.. the swedes haven't used Centurions since (IIRC) the early 90's (having obtained them in the 50's)

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1054 on: 10 December 2017, 19:03:10 »
Denmark just got their first Leo 2A7DK prototype:

They're planning to modify 16 of their 38 Leo 2A5DK to A7 standard, with the remaining 22 getting only minor modifications.

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #1055 on: 10 December 2017, 19:55:16 »
Interesting how they are taking the bullet trap route with the extra armour on the turret.
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #1056 on: 12 December 2017, 16:02:15 »
Interesting how they are taking the bullet trap route with the extra armour on the turret.
It's not a trap.  What you see there is just a spaced off piece of (heavy duty) sheet steel; the real armor is vertical behind it.  It's a system primarily designed to defeat sabot, where the armor's microscopic structure is actually strongest in a perpendicular strike.  You see the shape of the turret better on the earlier Leos, see below.  The spaced stuff is just a HEAT standoff, really.  Any incoming fire, even lighter caliber stuff, will just tear through the outer steeply angled layer and impact the turret face rather than bounce downwards into the turret ring.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #1057 on: 14 December 2017, 12:48:55 »
Russia's latest attempt to polish a turd: the T-90MS

I'll take my chances on foot, thank you.
I have spoken.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #1058 on: 14 December 2017, 13:32:02 »
What's with the tower on the turret?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1059 on: 14 December 2017, 13:35:44 »
What's with the tower on the turret?
Looks like remote controlled machine gun.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #1060 on: 14 December 2017, 14:55:26 »
So, like... how do Russia's legacy upgrades rank again?

T-72B3, T-80U, now this T-90MS... is that the best of their respective lines?

Fat Guy

• Major
« Reply #1061 on: 14 December 2017, 15:44:23 »
Seeing how the T-90 is just a renamed 72, why even count them separately?
I have spoken.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1062 on: 14 December 2017, 16:37:18 »
Seeing how the T-90 is just a renamed 72, why even count them separately?
it has enough physical changes to quantify for a new designation. plus export marketing concerns. this is not unusual.. the M-48 Patton was originally just a variant of the M-47 Patton, but got a new designation. the M-60 tank was itself a heavily modified M-48. the designation changes were made for simplification of record keeping. the F-20 Tigershark was originally the F-5G, but was granted the F-20 designation to make it more attractive to potential buyers (to seperate it from the less capable twin engine F-5's many of those would already have)

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #1063 on: 15 December 2017, 13:28:05 »
it has enough physical changes to quantify for a new designation.
So it isn't just a change of cover plating and hoping nobody notices?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1064 on: 15 December 2017, 16:11:21 »
uprated engine. more advanced gun. more advanced fire control. more advanced optics. more advanced communications. upgraded armor. active protection system standard. and yes some hull and turret shaping changes. it is definitely a different beast than a T-72.

Fat Guy

• Major
« Reply #1065 on: 15 December 2017, 17:39:22 »
Yes, it's a highly modified and updated T-72 - but it's not a completely new tank.

That would be like calling the F-15E (highly modified and updated over the C/D) the F-24.

Curiously, the Russians like doing this. The latest version of the MiG-29 is the MiG-35, and the newest Hind is the Mi-35.

Don't even get me started on all the different Flanker numbers...
I have spoken.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1066 on: 15 December 2017, 17:48:51 »
Well, Americans did do similar things occasionally (though fortunately their system is mostly consistent).
F-5 Tiger to F-20 Tigershark for example, though in this case the designation was a marketing trick really, and the plane ended up staying mostly on drawing boards with no buyers.
And then there's the Super Hornet, though it is is more like a new plane with old designation.

Keeping track of Russian designations is difficult for sure. I assume it is marketing ultimately, higher number is usually more advanced so...
Like, the PAK-FA got Su-57 designation. Though i guess part of the reason could be that the first number is "generation".
For example Su-27 updated to more capable Su-33/35 (or whatever it was), then there's the more advanced but never produced Su-47 from 90s, and PAK-FA/Su-57 represents another entirely new generation.
« Last Edit: 15 December 2017, 17:53:58 by Empyrus »

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1067 on: 15 December 2017, 21:54:25 »
Yes, it's a highly modified and updated T-72 - but it's not a completely new tank.

That would be like calling the F-15E (highly modified and updated over the C/D) the F-24.

Curiously, the Russians like doing this. The latest version of the MiG-29 is the MiG-35, and the newest Hind is the Mi-35.

considering the prototype T-90 was the T-72BU, that would mean the current production versions would probably be something like the T-72BU2A4, or something.. after awhile just tacking on more letters and numbers is counter productive.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #1068 on: 23 December 2017, 21:19:29 »
Unsure about the veracity of the identification, but it's supposedly an M-60 that survived a Kornet missile and was still mission-capable.  Interesting to see how much damage it took to the soft bits, how much of that is the ERA versus the warhead?

Proof an old warhorse still has a place on the battlefield, as well!
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #1069 on: 26 December 2017, 22:25:39 »

::facepalm::

I hear ya on that one.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Fat Guy

• Major
« Reply #1070 on: 26 December 2017, 23:14:58 »
::facepalm::

I hear ya on that one.

There was a running joke around the turn of the century that Suhkoi was producing more designations than actual airframes!

Back on topic:

I have spoken.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1071 on: 27 December 2017, 03:58:04 »
Back on topic:

Use Battlearmor, then it actually works! ;D

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #1072 on: 27 December 2017, 04:36:22 »
Unsure about the veracity of the identification, but it's supposedly an M-60 that survived a Kornet missile and was still mission-capable.  Interesting to see how much damage it took to the soft bits, how much of that is the ERA versus the warhead?

Proof an old warhorse still has a place on the battlefield, as well!
It was a glancing hit, if it was direct it would go through armor despite ERA.
Shoot first, laugh later.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
« Reply #1073 on: 27 December 2017, 08:48:58 »
Back on topic:

It was a glancing hit, if it was direct it would go through armor despite ERA.

It isn't nice to refer to the infantry as ERA even if they are carrying a lot of grenades
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1074 on: 27 December 2017, 08:55:55 »

It isn't nice to refer to the infantry as ERA even if they are carrying a lot of grenades

esp. since the primary purpose of Armored vehicles is to get so hopelessly mired and boxed in that it triggers a "rescue" reaction from the infantry...
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #1075 on: 27 December 2017, 09:00:31 »
esp. since the primary purpose of Armored vehicles is to get so hopelessly mired and boxed in that it triggers a "rescue" reaction from the infantry...

I thought everyone was one big friendly team these days. Except the Air Force. Screw those guys*.

*except RAF Chinook crews, they seem to be universally loved by the Army and RN types I know.

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

CDAT

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1076 on: 27 December 2017, 09:16:32 »
Side question that came up else where, I know that the US uses two tank sections and four tank platoons, with one command section and three platoons per company for a total of fourteen tanks, my understanding what that most of NATO was the same. My understanding of the former USSR was a one tank sections and three tank platoons, with one command section, and three platoons per company for a total of ten tanks per company. So the question is what real world factions use different formations?

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #1077 on: 27 December 2017, 09:21:01 »
Side question that came up else where, I know that the US uses two tank sections and four tank platoons, with one command section and three platoons per company for a total of fourteen tanks, my understanding what that most of NATO was the same. My understanding of the former USSR was a one tank sections and three tank platoons, with one command section, and three platoons per company for a total of ten tanks per company. So the question is what real world factions use different formations?

My understanding is that the British Army organises heavy armour (Challenger 2s) into 3 tank troops (ie 3 tanks in each troop) with 4 of these making up a squadron of 12 tanks plus a 2 tank squadron command section for a total of 14

For light armour (CVR(T)) in armoured units the organisation was reportedly 4 tank troops (ie 4 tanks in each troop) with 3 or 4 of these making up a squadron but I am not sure whether they had a separate squadron command section and I think there was a different organisation for the light armour units of armoured infantry and heavy armour units for recce

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #1078 on: 27 December 2017, 09:56:57 »
British Type 56 armoured regiment as below

Elsewhere I've seen a very straightforward 48-tank regiment - 4 companies of 12 tanks each.

The French tank regiments used to have 2 "squadron groups" of 40 tanks each totalling 80 tanks per regiment. Each squadron-group had 3 squadrons and 40 tanks so probably 3 squadrons x 12 tanks each plus a 4-tank command element.

After the 2009 reorg the French now have 60 tanks per regiment. Since there are now 4 combat squadrons I'd hazard a guess that is 4 squadrons of 12 tanks each, and another 12 tanks dotted around in command and support elements.
« Last Edit: 27 December 2017, 09:58:35 by Kidd »

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #1079 on: 27 December 2017, 10:04:26 »
British Type 56 armoured regiment as below

Elsewhere I've seen a very straightforward 48-tank regiment - 4 companies of 12 tanks each.

The French tank regiments used to have 2 "squadron groups" of 40 tanks each totalling 80 tanks per regiment. Each squadron-group had 3 squadrons and 40 tanks so probably 3 squadrons x 12 tanks each plus a 4-tank command element.

After the 2009 reorg the French now have 60 tanks per regiment. Since there are now 4 combat squadrons I'd hazard a guess that is 4 squadrons of 12 tanks each, and another 12 tanks dotted around in command and support elements.

Kidd has given you a far better answer than mine

Register