Author Topic: Campaign Operations - Contracts - Transport Payment  (Read 2053 times)

boilerman

• Lieutenant
  • Spinning wrenches since 1968.
Campaign Operations - Contracts - Transport Payment
« on: 19 March 2017, 21:14:14 »
I have created a spreadsheet to automate the contract generation process in the Force Operations chapter of CO and noticed a few things.

There are 2 ways to be reimbursed for some amount of travel expenses in the contract rules.

1. Payment of 1.0% of the value of a DropShip if it is regularly risked in combat.

2. Under Transport Payment section of supplemental contract terms a unit may be reimbursed a portion of their expenses if they don't own DropShips or JumpShips.

I think you should get reimbursed under the Transport Payment terms regardless of whether or not the unit owns its DropShips or not, but there is a way to get around this.

If a unit has its own DropShips and/or JumpShips set them up as an independent unit in a manner like a wholly owned subsidiary company. The parent company owns and controls the subsidiary but there is legal separation so the lawyers can count them as independent of the parent.

Thoughts on the rules and the work around?
Avatar by Wombat. Thanks Wombat!

pheonixstorm

• Major
Re: Campaign Operations - Contracts - Transport Payment
« Reply #1 on: 22 March 2017, 21:09:46 »
lol how greedy! Sounds like a good way to fleece a potential employer for some extra cash. BUT you would not get the 1% if those dropships are used in combat which means #2 is not always the better option. You don't get the 1% for hired dropships after all.

Don't forget though there is the Transport Period payment as well which wasn't something the rules ever paid you for in previous merc rules.

boilerman

• Lieutenant
  • Spinning wrenches since 1968.
« Reply #2 on: 22 March 2017, 22:14:11 »
I wouldn't call it anymore greedy than typical for a merc. You get the travel time reimbursement regardless on whether you own your own aerospace transport or not so I don't see it as relevant to my point.

That being said the travel time reimbursement is significant, in my tests it's 4 to 10 times the travel cost reimbursement because of the reputation multiplier.

I guess you could argue that since possessing DropShips and JumpShips influences the reputation score so heavily that the you are paid for them.

Still like the idea of making your aerospace group a separate company and leasing them out when you're using them. Makes the accounting a little easier.
Avatar by Wombat. Thanks Wombat!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2017, 20:55:51 »
While the merc parent company might not be getting that 1% for the DS being risked in combat, the subsidiary transport company however would get paid for that risk.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."