Author Topic: My 3D modular Hex Terrain  (Read 2392 times)

xplummerx

• Recruit
My 3D modular Hex Terrain
« on: 01 April 2017, 05:24:04 »
I painted 2 plywood sheets (1 x 2 m or about 1 x 2 yards per sheet) green and added hexfields (a lot). I used 2 inch hexes. After that i flocked the sheets with static grass. The hexfields can be seen but are not too visible. First is started with hills with hex shapes but they didnĀ“t look very good. After that I made normal shaped hills and added hexfields. Some are attached, some are loose an can be used in a modular way. Due to the size of the hexfields we can have mechs in fields with trees. Our rule is: on tree = light wood, two trees = heavy wood.

After a while a made a desert landscape on the backside of the plywood sheets with desert hills, mountains and palms.

My last project was an ice landscape on canvas. Next project will be a moon landscape.

xplummerx

• Recruit
Re: My 3D modular Hex Terrain
« Reply #1 on: 01 April 2017, 05:27:18 »
more pics

xplummerx

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 01 April 2017, 05:29:09 »
even more pics

xplummerx

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: 01 April 2017, 05:30:23 »
final pics ...

THEMONSTER

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 02 April 2017, 21:44:48 »
Looks good.
2 questions.
What type of glue did you use for the flocking?
What did you use for snow?
Blaine Lee Pardoe did nothing wrong.

xplummerx

• Recruit
« Reply #5 on: 03 April 2017, 10:38:38 »
Looks good.
2 questions.
What type of glue did you use for the flocking?
What did you use for snow?

Hi, for the flocking I used wood glue which becomes transparent (if not diluted with water!)
I used this one:
http://www.ponal.de/produkte/holzleime/produkt-detailseite/?tx_commerce_pi1%5BshowUid%5D=113&tx_commerce_pi1%5BcatUid%5D=56&cHash=4dd9cdaaf6b17e7733aa8af14a4ba658
(I live in germany)

For the snow I did it like this guy:
http://1000footgeneral.blogspot.de/2012/11/desert-wasteland-wargame-terrain-cloth.html
First I spread white calk and gave it some texture with a sponge. Later I painted the whole surface with my "snow"
Snow: some wood glue (1/3), acryl white (1/3), model rail snow powder (1/6) and baking soda (1/6) until it gets pasty. I guess baking soda is nearly the same as the snow powder (I bet you can also use chalk). I read that the acryl white paint is important, because the soda will get yellow after a while without it. My map is a year old and still white.
Later I added my hexfields with a grey pen and gave everything a white acryl brush to conceal the hexfields a bit.
I also used (some) christmas snow spray in a can to give everything the final touch. https://pursellmfg.com/shop/resale-items/spray-snow-12pk/

xplummerx

• Recruit
Re: My 3D modular Hex Terrain (Double Blind)
« Reply #6 on: 03 April 2017, 11:06:50 »
We also did once a 3d terrain double blind scenario. We split the table in to halves and used hills, woods and buildings we had two times. Than we used blankets and split the room in two parts (even with an corridor to the door). Very entertaining!

Register