Author Topic: Infantry Field Guns  (Read 4116 times)

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
Infantry Field Guns
« on: 13 April 2017, 08:51:19 »
Tac Ops says any Autocannon, Non-Heavy Gauss Rifle, or Rifle (Cannon) can be used as a field gun.

So I can create an infantry platoon that uses Hyper Velocity Autocannon?
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
Re: Infantry Field Guns
« Reply #2 on: 13 April 2017, 11:09:49 »
The rules say that the Gauss exploding effect doesn't apply, so maybe it wouldn't apply here either. I'll have to think about that.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #3 on: 13 April 2017, 14:10:45 »
It doesn't.  Neither does the chance of jamming for Ultras or RACs.  (but you only get 1 ton of ammo, so....)

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 13 April 2017, 15:01:50 »
OK two problems. 1) HVAC's aren't in the list of included AC types so it's reasonable to say you can't use them, 2) The exploding guns isn't called out to be not functioning. I'm also a bit confused about how Gauss RIfles could explode when used as field guns.

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #5 on: 14 April 2017, 06:57:43 »
OK two problems. 1) HVAC's aren't in the list of included AC types so it's reasonable to say you can't use them,

True, but since you can use literally every other type of autocannon, I can't see why I can't. House rule time!

2) The exploding guns isn't called out to be not functioning. I'm also a bit confused about how Gauss RIfles could explode when used as field guns.

An explosion nearby could damage the power storage cells, sending the Gauss Rifle up in smoke. Sort of like a damaged LiPo battery in real life. (A search for "Galaxy Note 7 Battery Fire" and "Boeing 787 Dreamliner battery fire" provide examples.)
Be the Loremaster:

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 14 April 2017, 16:18:34 »
The first is fine, but for the second I'm pretty sure HVAC explosions are model after what happens when two charges of powder where used in a canon instead of one, so no.

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #7 on: 14 April 2017, 18:50:32 »
The first is fine, but for the second I'm pretty sure HVAC explosions are model after what happens when two charges of powder where used in a canon instead of one, so no.

Except you're wrong.  HVACs are described as using a gelled propellant, not "two charges instead of one".

Also the rule specifically states "Any vehicular-mounted autocannon".  A HVAC is a vehicular-mounted Autocannon.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 14 April 2017, 20:11:25 »
Except you're wrong.  HVACs are described as using a gelled propellant, not "two charges instead of one".
The concept is 'Put in extra gunpowder and the round is more powerful', it doesn't matter that you're using some sort of gel instead of actual gunpowder.

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #9 on: 09 May 2017, 10:07:55 »
Sort of related, I realized that a conventional platoon of Mechanized Clan Infantry would be able to use ProtoMech Autocannons. This matters because the ProtoMech AC/2 has a max range of 20 hexes. My platoon could field seven ProtoMech AC/2s. So essentially the defending CI platoon would be a 20 hex ranged SRM-7 battery.

Probably the only place to see it would be with Clan Blood Spirit's armed civilians, but it could be a good supplement to any other conventional platoons that use heavier guns like Gauss Rifles or Ultra ACs.

Though now that I think about it some more, maybe the Ghost Bears and Ravens would use something similar for their Inner Sphere troops. Have to think about this some more.
Be the Loremaster:

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 09 May 2017, 19:13:45 »
SRM-14 actually, Field Guns can use the Rapid Fire rules for Autocannons from TacOps (Page 100) without risk of jamming, and really do you expect infantry to last 40 turns?

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 28 May 2017, 04:19:24 »
Personally, I know it's terrible cheese, but I still giggle cruelly at the idea of using APGRs as Field Guns.  Just do the math...
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #12 on: 29 May 2017, 20:29:39 »
If you were a commander and on the defensive, why would you not have positioned your infantry to man sheltered field guns if you expect to face armor or mechs?  Especially into the 3050s when you start pulling AC/5s, AC/10s and AC/20s to be replaced by LBX, Ultras and Gauss Rifles- which means the quartermaster should have a surplus (and should also have encouraged a militia tank with the same background as Watchman/Sentry for the FS) . . . at least until special munitions spread.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #13 on: 29 May 2017, 22:07:30 »
So essentially the defending CI platoon would be a 20 hex ranged SRM-7 battery.
Not bad, but I'll take 3 RAC'2s when it comes to ranged critting,  hehe
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #14 on: 29 May 2017, 22:10:17 »
Personally, I know it's terrible cheese, but I still giggle cruelly at the idea of using APGRs as Field Guns.  Just do the math...
Can you do that? 
I thought I read somewhere a while back that they nerfed the idea of MG's as Field Guns.
Or did that not include APGR &/or Magshots if I'm even remembering the nerf.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #15 on: 29 May 2017, 22:24:09 »
Can you do that? 
I thought I read somewhere a while back that they nerfed the idea of MG's as Field Guns.
Or did that not include APGR &/or Magshots if I'm even remembering the nerf.

Magshots and APGRs are specifically counted as gauss weapons, and thus viable field guns. The only nerf was the rules change which required a minimum of two men per gun.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #16 on: 30 May 2017, 08:34:03 »
Not bad, but I'll take 3 RAC'2s when it comes to ranged critting,  hehe

Good point. I was thinking specifically of the Blood Spirits when I first thought up the ProtoMech AC armed platoon though. I don't know if the Spirits had RACs, but the PMACs make a lot more logical sense.*

*And yes, I am using the word "logic" and applying it to a game with interstellar craft and big stompy robot tanks without giggling.
Be the Loremaster: