Author Topic: Early OmniMechs  (Read 3617 times)

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
Early OmniMechs
« on: 13 May 2017, 20:28:13 »
I don’t know if this topic has ever been bought up before but thinking about the possibilities of Early Clan OmniMech designs really got me hooked. Just looking at introduction dates for known designs during the Clan Invasion was what got me started thinking about all of this. Of course, Era Digest: Golden Century already gave us details on three early OmniMechs (Coyotl, Lupus, Woodsman) which had been eluded to in early fluff. These three are the first of ten (10) known OmniMechs which all debuted in the late 2800s after Coyote’s initial discovery.

The Nova (or Black Hawk – 50 tons) and Crossbow (65 tons) were introduced next in 2870 surviving to see action all the way into the mid-31st century. They are joined by the Summoner (or Thor – 70 tons) in 2872, the Battle Cobra (40 tons) in 2873, the Fire Moth (or Dasher – 20 tons) in 2874, the Kingfisher (90 tons) in 2887, and the Kit Fox (or Uller – 30 tons) in 2890 as familiar survivors from the first generation of OmniMechs. But could there have been more…..

You would think dozens of chasses were developed and deployed at this time by different Clans just obtaining the technology. Certainly a few most have had some success especially if you look at certain weight classes most notably the Assaults. The 100 ton Dire Wolf (Diashi) is not introduced until 3010, the 95 ton Executioner (Gladiator) is 3001, and the 85 ton Warhawk (Masakari) is 2999. They all look like Clan refinements made specifically for the invasion of the InnerSphere. The 80 ton Gargoyle (Man O’War) appears earlier in 2945 but that is 91 years after the debut of the Coyotl which itself was discontinued two years prior.

The 2940s appear to be that second generation of OmniMech designs with the Viper (or Dragonfly) and the Ice Ferret (or Fenris) both appearing near other Clan standard like the Mist Lynx (Koshi) and the Hellbringer (or Loki) in 2926, Stormcrow (or Ryoken) in 2930, Timber Wolf (or Mad Cat) in 2945, and the Mad Dog (or Vulture) in 2963.

I have a lot of thoughts on all the possibilities from designs like how about a 35 ton Wild Weasel designed by Mongoose for their aggressive strikes across the Kerensky Cluster which until the Adder is the Clan design for that weight class? Or a 100 ton Gyrfalcon created in the wake of Jade Falcon’s successful seizure of the OmniMech from Coyote which is eventually replaced by the Dire Wolf. Heck, a Proliferation Series on the Clan OmniMech would be pretty interesting stuff.

As a design note for these early omnis I was thinking this new modular technology is expensive and perhaps Standard Engines would save vital resources while increasing the survivability at this time but as the Clans grew as did their desire for high end war machinery (i.e. the invasion) these first and maybe even a few second generation omnis were retired from service.

Quiaff?

Archangel

• Major
Re: Early OmniMechs
« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2017, 21:17:03 »
If you are asking whether there could have been more then the answer is sure.  HOWEVER, there were several factors limiting development of new designs such as the basic fact that designing a new BattleMech is expensive and designing an OmniMech even more expensive.  Other factors include limited resources among the Clan homeworlds, the caste system places huge restrictions on the scientist caste and their ability to develop new weapons and the simple fact that the Clans during this time period weren't particularly innovative.  For every OmniMech design that did enter production there were probably several potential designs that were cancelled/scrapped due to a failure during the design phase, shifting priorities or simply politics.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2017, 21:49:43 »
I don’t know if this topic has ever been bought up before but thinking about the possibilities of Early Clan OmniMech designs really got me hooked. Just looking at introduction dates for known designs during the Clan Invasion was what got me started thinking about all of this. Of course, Era Digest: Golden Century already gave us details on three early OmniMechs (Coyotl, Lupus, Woodsman) which had been eluded to in early fluff. These three are the first of ten (10) known OmniMechs which all debuted in the late 2800s after Coyote’s initial discovery.

The Nova (or Black Hawk – 50 tons) and Crossbow (65 tons) were introduced next in 2870 surviving to see action all the way into the mid-31st century. They are joined by the Summoner (or Thor – 70 tons) in 2872, the Battle Cobra (40 tons) in 2873, the Fire Moth (or Dasher – 20 tons) in 2874, the Kingfisher (90 tons) in 2887, and the Kit Fox (or Uller – 30 tons) in 2890 as familiar survivors from the first generation of OmniMechs. But could there have been more…..

Could there have been more?     Maybe
But given how long & difficulty in creating the 1st, I'd imagine a LOT of the clans just copied what they stole instead of trying to design a whole new chassis.

And really, does there NEED to be more chassis?  Just look at what the 1st 10 cover.

20-Fire Moth-10/20/0
30-Kit Fox-6/9/0
40-Coyotl-7/11/0
40-Battle Cobra-6/9/0
50-Nova-5/8/5
60-Lupus-5/8/0
65-Crossbow-5/8/0
70-Summoner-5/8/5
75-Woodsman-4/8/0
90-Kingfisher-4/6/0

2 Lights, 3 Mediums, 4 Heavys, 1 Assault.
Speeds solid range band of speed from 4-6-0 to 7-11-0 w/ 2 dedicated Jumpers & a single sprinter for BA deliver moving 10/20/0

On top of these 10 Omni-mechs your still going to have a plethora of SLDF mechs & Clan Battlemechs to fill in the few areas that might be lacking like 3/5 Gunboat or 8/12 SpeedyStriker

Things like the Pillager, Hussar, Mongoose, Locust-IIC, Stone Rhino, Imp-C, Mercury, Mercury-II, etc etc are still around in decent numbers in the 29th century to fill out TO&Es with most any combo you could want.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2017, 12:13:11 »
What would you say the Brain Castle might contain? IIRC most haven't been emptied out.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2017, 13:29:51 »
I believe upcoming TRO Golden Century will include some early Omnimech designs so far not known.
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

David CGB

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2017, 21:35:00 »
I believe upcoming TRO Golden Century will include some early Omnimech designs so far not known.
or more configs for those that we have
Federated Suns fan forever, Ghost Bear Fan since 1992, and as a Ghost Bear David Bekker star captain (in an Alt TL Loremaster)

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2017, 12:26:45 »
or more configs for those that we have
I do not think so.
The product text tell us 25 new designs.
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2017, 15:23:15 »
Thanks for the replies gang and I agree that expense is a major concern for developing additional designs. The Clans usually latch onto proven designs in spite of their origins which can be seen most notably with the Dire Wolf. While the Jaguars have no love of the Wolves they recognized the value of the Diashi trialed for it and that OmniMech went onto become theirs almost as much as it was their creators.

Expense could be mitigated as I eluded to in my original post by using standard fusion engines rather than extra lights. This practice would also enhance the survivability of early OmniMechs and feature their rapid return to action with new modular parts. Of course this works for heavier 'Mechs but could unduly slow Lighter (Lights and Mediums) models which like the Coyotl could use XLs. Besides lighter models are cheaper than the heavies anyway but if you look at the Coyotl and Lupus (the first two Omnis we know of currently) their engines could easily be used on more chasses. That 280XL and 300 Fusion could well be fitted on lighter and assault models.

Ah, Brain Castles. There are just so many. One never know what lies inside. ;)

Looking forward to TRO Golden Century, is there any more news on what might be in there? 25 new designs could certainly fill these earlier generation OmniMechs.

I also did more data mining concerning the proliferation of OmniMechs which yielded some interesting results. I tried to nail down the order in which the Clans obtained the Omni but a few were elusive. If you have any more information please let us know!

1. Coyote (pg 41 FM Warden Clans) Renowned as the Clan which created the OmniMech deploying the first prototypes in February 2853 with production models emerging a year and a half later, August 2854. Within a few years of the Coyotl’s debut the total number of OmniMech increased to four one for each weight class [INDICATING 2 UNKNOWN DESIGNS EXIST PER CANON, ONE LIGHT & ONE ASSAULT]. By the end of 2864, nine Clans possessed OmniMech technology. By the close of the decade (2860s) virtually every Clan that desired it possessed this technology. Before any of the recipients could field their own designs, however, Clan Coyote had produced a new generation of OmniMechs [COULD THIS MEAN 4 MORE DESIGNS?]

2. Diamond Shark (pg. 59 FM Warden Clans) Then Clan Sea Fox aided significantly in Coyote’s discovery of the OmniMech contributing scientific and technical expertise to the endeavor enabling them to field the technology a year after that Clan’s first field tests [2864 or 2865]. The Sea Foxes fielded OmniMech designs of their own [+2 MORE POSSIBLE DESIGNS] even though they downplayed this new martial strength allowing Coyote to field the brunt of the ramifications. [VERY INTERESTING]

3. Jade Falcon (pg 41 FM Warden Clans) In 2863 they became the first Clan to win the OmniMech from Coyote

4. Wolf (pg 41 FM Warden Clans) Immediately challenged the Jade Falcons following their successful bid to acquire the OmniMech from Coyote becoming the third Clan to possess this technology

5 through 9. I am not sure of but the Coyote text states that NINE Clans had obtained the Omni by 2864 no doubt giving them an advantage which they pressed over those without.

Smoke Jaguar (pg. 49 Invading Clans) won possession of several OmniMechs from Coyote long before other Clans had access to the more powerful machines. This technological edge helped keep the Smoke Jaguars a prominent Clan despite their relative lack of material wealth.

Ice Hellion (pg. 76 FM Crusader Clans) As one of the first Clans to develop the OmniMech after winning the technology from Clan Coyote, the Ice Hellion forces greatly increased their battlefield flexibility.

Mongoose (pg.112 FM Crusader Clans) Attacked Clan Star Adder in 2863 deploying OmniMechs en masse catching them unaware taking several worlds

Fire Mandrill (pg. 39 FM Crusader Clans) Kindraa Smythe-Jewel won OmniMech technology from Clan Coyote under questionable circumstances

Burrock - ilKhan Zenos Danforth was elected ilKhan in 2858 to oversee fair play in Trials of Possession for the OmniMech [while there is no canon information I can find I believe they are the 9th Clan to obtain the Omni either buying it from Sea Fox or perhaps engaging in some Burrock behavior to get it]

10 through 17. Evidence or other priorities indicates these Clans got access to the OmniMech later than other Clans did

Nova Cat - on the fence here could they be the ninth Clan to have gotten OmniMech technology, I couldn't find any info but it is possible, just not sure

Hell’s Horses and Snow Raven - both Clans do not have any date or statements indicating when they got the Omni that I could find. While I might have overlooked it both really are not focused on the Mech as the King of the Battlefield preferring other force of arms. I think it makes sense to have them as later comers to Omni tech.

Steel Viper – Finally acquired the OmniMech by testing themselves against other Clan as Khan Sanra Mercer commanded.

Blood Spirit (pg. 24 FM Crusader Clans) Concluded a series of Trials with Kindraa Smythe-Jewel of Clan Fire Mandrill after 2865

Cloud Cobra (pg. 21 FM Warden Clans) By 2868 their Galaxies fielded several trinaries of OmniMechs

Star Adder (pg. 112-113 FM Crusader Clans) Managing to salvage several OmniMechs from battle sites with Mongoose and Coyote it took the Clan a few years to deploy a sufficient number for a counterattack which came days before the Mongoose Absorption.

Goliath Scorpion (pg. 104 FM Warden Clans) Thwarted by Coyote who utilized their new innovation to its fullest to defend their proprietary technology the Scorpions eventually won possession for Kindraa Payne of Clan Fire Mandrill. By this time most of the Clans had already fielded their own operational designs making them one of the last Clans to do so. 

18. Ghost Bear (pg. 79 FM Warden Clans) Was the last Clan to acquire OmniMech technology from Clan Hell’s Horses in 2873 ending its self-imposed caution after a string of defeats.

Register