Author Topic: What is a good source book for helping me create a AToW campaign?  (Read 3989 times)

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
I'm new to being a DM and battletech. I have read the Jade phoenix trilogy and that is about it. should I just read novels and create campaigns off of those, or is there a good source book to explicitly help me create a campaign?

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Re: What is a good source book for helping me create a AToW campaign?
« Reply #1 on: 14 September 2017, 15:49:58 »
It all depends on what your area of focus is.

If you want to do a Home Clan-based campaign, MechWarrior's Guide to the Clans is a pretty good overview. 

If you want to do a Solaris VII gladiatorial campaign, MechWarrior's Guide to Solaris VII has the same format, with setting info, plot hooks, etc.  (Guide to the Clans even has an introductory adventure). 

For a mercenary campaign set in 3025, the Mercenary's Handbook will cover the basics. 

For one set in 3055, Mercenary's Handbook 3055 has you covered. 

The framework given in Field Manual: Mercenaries will cover you for the 3060s, with various supplementals taking you into the Jihad.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 14 September 2017, 16:52:56 »
Since you area of existing knowledge is focused on the Clan civilization, a great book to branch out with would be Wars of Reaving.

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 14 September 2017, 20:52:58 »
Thanks guys, I am going to look into these

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 14 September 2017, 22:32:33 »
Thanks guys, I am going to look into these

I've looked at the wars of reaving. It looks like a good way to run a purely "mech based table top campaign, but I'm not sure how to use for the rpg AToW side.

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 14 September 2017, 22:45:17 »
tyj

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 14 September 2017, 22:48:36 »
Since you area of existing knowledge is focused on the Clan civilization, a great book to branch out with would be Wars of Reaving.

I did buy the Wars of Reaving. It looks like a great way to run a purely Total Warfare/Tactical Operations campaign, with the Warchest System thing. However, I am not sure how to go about adding in the RPG AToW element into the Wars of Reaving. This is probably just my lack of experience as a DM though.