Author Topic: More Alpha Strike Lance Packs Please  (Read 5998 times)

Descronan

• Master Sergeant
  • "No multi-pass."
More Alpha Strike Lance Packs Please
« on: 23 June 2017, 14:44:28 »
I feel kind of like a mech junkie. You got any more of those lance packs coming? Any announcements on a new box set?

atlask

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
Re: More Alpha Strike Lance Packs Please
« Reply #1 on: 24 June 2017, 09:54:49 »
NO word on anything..  :(
Catalyst Demo Agent #881, Tulsa, OK

Heavyguard

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 26 June 2017, 06:53:44 »
New boxed set has been confirmed as in the works. Most recently in the new leadership announcement as one of the first products they will be working on to get it released.

firekite

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 18 July 2017, 21:03:09 »
I would be happy if they would put mech's/ Omni's etc... up on a shapeways page so we could buy what we want. in leiu of that I will buy lance packs any chance I get.
 ^-^

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #4 on: 19 July 2017, 05:28:55 »
That would probably require the company with the license for miniatures to do (IWM). I'd hate to think how much resculpting that would require.

Heavyguard

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 19 July 2017, 07:31:20 »
I would be happy if they would put mech's/ Omni's etc... up on a shapeways page so we could buy what we want. in leiu of that I will buy lance packs any chance I get.
 ^-^

Shapeways can be overpriced if you're not in the US.

Heavyguard

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 19 July 2017, 08:20:13 »
I feel kind of like a mech junkie. You got any more of those lance packs coming? Any announcements on a new box set?

From Ray Arrastia on FB on 16 July 17; CGL is working on a new beginner box (smaller/less contents than the previous box) *and* a new Game of Armored Combat box (equivalent to the previous box). Both with all new content.

ussenterprise

• Recruit
« Reply #7 on: 17 September 2017, 14:36:20 »
New boxed set has been confirmed as in the works. Most recently in the new leadership announcement as one of the first products they will be working on to get it released.

You know contents of boxes set?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #8 on: 17 September 2017, 18:14:02 »
IIRC, the beginner box comes with 2 "Classic" minis, Griffin & Wolverine.

The "armoured combat" box comes with 5 "Classics" - Battlemaster, Thunderbolt, Locust, Shadowhawk, Wolverine - and three "Classic-ified" new minis for Commando, Catapult, and Awesome.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #9 on: 17 September 2017, 19:04:05 »
And while they are more expensive than plastic, IWM's lance packs are a good deal on the metal minis (I forget what the discount is over singles).  That's how I've bought most of mine so far.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #10 on: 23 September 2017, 15:07:35 »

This brings up the idea of releasing new AS lance packs using the mech minis from the old intro set that have not been available since it disapeared? There were only a few mechs from the intro that haven't already made it into a lance pack, so adding them to the line up could make 2 more packs for us all BUY! 😁

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #11 on: 23 September 2017, 16:23:00 »
which ones from the old introset haven't been done yet in lance packs?

the new boxsets will have the following new plastics:
Griffin
Wolverine.
Locust
Commando
Shadow Hawk
Thunderbolt
BattleMaster
as well as new sculpts of the Catapult and Awesome.

i suspect that you could arrange a whole new wave of lance packs using those options, even if the new Catapult and awesome sculpts are left out.

and a new waves of lance packs coming out with the new starters would be a great way to help attract players and let them build up their collections.
« Last Edit: 23 September 2017, 16:24:40 by glitterboy2098 »

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 23 September 2017, 17:11:40 »
which ones from the old introset haven't been done yet in lance packs?

the new boxsets will have the following new plastics:
Griffin
Wolverine.
Locust
Commando
Shadow Hawk
Thunderbolt
BattleMaster
as well as new sculpts of the Catapult and Awesome.

i suspect that you could arrange a whole new wave of lance packs using those options, even if the new Catapult and awesome sculpts are left out.

and a new waves of lance packs coming out with the new starters would be a great way to help attract players and let them build up their collections.

Not that old! 😁 No I mean the set they just ran out of. Mechs like the Jaggermech, Hunchback, Whitworth, Enforcer, Javelin, Battlemaster, Hermese 2, etc. They already have the molds to make them, so it might not be too hard to make up a couple more Lance Packs? Maybe add 2 new sculpts along with them? Maybe a plastic Ostroc and a Urbanmech? 😂

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 23 September 2017, 18:05:26 »
i call it "old" because we have a "new" intro set coming soon.

and i'm still curious, which of the 26 from that intro set haven't made an appearance in the lance packs yet?

because the wave 2 lance packs could be those plus the 8 "classics" from the new intro sets.

ussenterprise

• Recruit
« Reply #14 on: 23 September 2017, 21:24:02 »
Yes, that would be awesome.  Want a plastic hunchback

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: 24 September 2017, 03:11:08 »
... I listed a bunch from the previous intro set that haven't been included in Lance Packs yet... 😕
I don't know how to be any clearer?

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #16 on: 26 September 2017, 14:30:14 »
and i'm still curious, which of the 26 from that intro set haven't made an appearance in the lance packs yet?
Of the 24 in the last generation of the intro box, these 7 are not available in Lance Packs:
  • Commando
  • Assassin
  • Hermes II
  • Whitworth
  • Enforcer
  • Hunchback
  • JagerMech

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #17 on: 26 September 2017, 15:22:50 »
So my 11 Hunchies in Plastic are rare? Or just be glad I have them?  ???

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #18 on: 26 September 2017, 15:53:45 »
They're relatively rare, compared to the 'Mechs available in the Lance Packs.  We're not guaranteed to get more in the near future.  (Which isn't to say we won't get more... or we won't get different, resculpted, better Hunchbacks.  Just that nothing's been announced.)

(As far as rarity goes, the Hunchbacks are definitely more rare than 'Mechs (e.g. the Vindicator) that are both in the old intro box and the Lance Packs.  I'm not sure if they're overall rarer than 'Mechs that only show up in the Lance Packs (e.g. the Cataphract).)

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 26 September 2017, 18:17:49 »
so what lances can we build using these options?
ideally they could represent some of the new lance formations. (sadly the horde lances wouldn't apply)

Lights:
Locust - LCT-1V - Scout
Commando - COM-2D - Striker

Mediums:
Griffin - GRF-1N - Sniper
Wolverine - WVR-6R - Skirmisher
Shadow Hawk - SHD-2H - Skirmisher
Assassin - ASN-21 - Scout
Hermes II - HER-2S - Scout
Whitworth - WTH-1 - Missile Boat
Enforcer - ENF-4R - Skirmisher
Hunchback - HBK-4G - Juggernaut

Heavies:
Thunderbolt - TDR-5S - Brawler
JagerMech - JM6-s - Sniper

Assualts:
BattleMaster
« Last Edit: 26 September 2017, 23:49:08 by glitterboy2098 »

cpip

• Corporal
« Reply #20 on: 26 September 2017, 21:12:54 »
Of the 24 in the last generation of the intro box, these 7 are not available in Lance Packs:
  • Commando
  • Assassin
  • Hermes II
  • Whitworth
  • Enforcer
  • Hunchback
  • JagerMech

I realized that after GenCon, when I started really looking at the lance packs I'd purchased (I'd bought an entire plastic battalion!), and seeing that two of my favorites, the Commando and the Hunchback, weren't to be found anywhere. I'd gladly buy a lance pack that somehow included those two. Not sure exactly what, though. Taking the JagerMech and the Whitworth, you'd have a Medium Battle Lance in Alpha Strike terms, alternately, you could classify them as a Security Lance from Combat Manual: Mercenaries.

That'd leave you with trying to assemble a lance that included an Assassin, a Hermes II, and an Enforcer; that might form some kind of Striker Lance?

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: 26 September 2017, 22:38:06 »
I realized that after GenCon, when I started really looking at the lance packs I'd purchased (I'd bought an entire plastic battalion!), and seeing that two of my favorites, the Commando and the Hunchback, weren't to be found anywhere. I'd gladly buy a lance pack that somehow included those two. Not sure exactly what, though. Taking the JagerMech and the Whitworth, you'd have a Medium Battle Lance in Alpha Strike terms, alternately, you could classify them as a Security Lance from Combat Manual: Mercenaries.

That'd leave you with trying to assemble a lance that included an Assassin, a Hermes II, and an Enforcer; that might form some kind of Striker Lance?

Also, note that the Lance Packs usually introduce at least 1 totally new mech in plastic; the Guillotine, Hatchetman, Wolfhound, Cataphract, eta. So, we could hope to see a couple new mechs added to bulk up Packs made with the missing minis? I suggested the Ostroc and the Urbanmech because they help round out the designs missing from the packs and old intro set, which are all from the original 3025 TRO.  (Of course it's all wishful thinking right now 😁)

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 26 September 2017, 23:51:01 »
well if we add the new Classics, we have 13 figures not used yet for a lance pack. so three more designs gets 16, or 4 lance packs. that means one lance will not get a wholly new plastic, but i suspect that would be ok for most people.

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: 27 September 2017, 00:14:16 »
well if we add the new Classics, we have 13 figures not used yet for a lance pack. so three more designs gets 16, or 4 lance packs. that means one lance will not get a wholly new plastic, but i suspect that would be ok for most people.

I don't either seeing as the new classic designs will be "new" in plastic as well anyway. I dont think anyone will complain that a lance pack has the new Battlemaster but not a new plastic Ostscout! 😁
« Last Edit: 27 September 2017, 01:16:06 by Major Headcase »

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 28 September 2017, 02:12:27 »
I'd be ecstatic if the made ALL of the mechs in plastic --- I'd be buying lance packs every paycheck --- make the vehicles too, and it would be a permanent part of my budget .....
With the price of metal continuing to rise, I am seriously looking at plastics from other games that I can proxy in, even though I'd so much rather use the real minis.......

Nahuris
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

ussenterprise

• Recruit
« Reply #25 on: 28 September 2017, 09:00:29 »
I'd be ecstatic if the made ALL of the mechs in plastic --- I'd be buying lance packs every paycheck --- make the vehicles too, and it would be a permanent part of my budget .....
With the price of metal continuing to rise, I am seriously looking at plastics from other games that I can proxy in, even though I'd so much rather use the real minis.......

Nahuris

I agree and add that plastic minis are good for beginners and others who lack time or expertise to assemble metal minis.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #26 on: 28 September 2017, 23:44:59 »
ideally they could represent some of the new lance formations. (sadly the horde lances wouldn't apply)

There's always a horde of Locusts and Cicadas

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #27 on: 29 September 2017, 00:10:29 »
was thinking that horde lances, if i understand them correctly (don;t have the book yet) have more than 4 mechs in them. which means they don't fit in the normal lance pack setup.

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #28 on: 29 September 2017, 08:44:35 »
I believe we'll see a new lineup of Lance Packs after the new intro box(es) comes out.  Not only do they have the new Classic sculpts but there are also the resculpts of existing non-Classic 'Mechs.  I would expect to the new Lance Packs to have similar lineups to what we have now but instead substituting Classics for 3025 'Mechs.  For example, the Recon Lance would have a Locust instead of the Flea and the Fire Lance would have a Griffin instead of the Shogun.  There might be other reorganization as well.

I'm not sure we'll see new Lance Packs very soon after the new intro boxes.  CGL has commissioned resculpts of existing 'Mechs for the intro boxes.  If they commission new sculpts of the other minis for the Lance Packs, that may add delays.  (Even if they were delayed, if they made new Lance Packs with Classics and other resculpts, I'd buy them in a heartbeat.)

(Disclaimer: This entire post is almost purely speculation on my part.  To the best of my knowledge, CGL has not said whether or not there will be new Lance Packs, etc.)

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 16 October 2017, 01:04:36 »
I agree and add that plastic minis are good for beginners and others who lack time or expertise to assemble metal minis.

I have 600 of the metal ones..... but the plastics are cheaper, and the newer ones have awesome detail --- easier to re-pose into other positions as well.
I am looking at budget, because, for a lot of people, $60.00 for a lance of 4 metal mechs is a bit much, like the 11 year old I recently got playing Alpha Strike ..... sadly, he doesn't have the budget for all the ones he wants in metal. And of course, there is the fun of reposing them, which is more difficult with the metal ones,...... putting a few pieces together is probably not difficult for most people ... but a less expensive option would probably result in more players.

Nahuris
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."