Author Topic: new place for image hosting?  (Read 4318 times)

DarkSpade

• Major
new place for image hosting?
« on: 15 July 2017, 09:04:08 »
Well, since Photobucket has decided to shoot itself in the head, it's time to find another place to host images.  What options are people looking at now?
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
Re: new place for image hosting?
« Reply #1 on: 15 July 2017, 09:19:40 »
Imgur, its free and easy to use.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 15 July 2017, 09:23:28 »
postimg.org, very user friendly interface.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 15 July 2017, 10:54:18 »
Do either of those give the option to keep your galleries private?

I know that sound silly since i'm looking for a place to host files I'm sharing, but I'm not looking to share everything with everyone.  Like with Photobucket, I could share an image here, but if you went to my gallery it wouldn't show you anything.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Siden Pryde

• Warrant Officer
  • Papermaster
« Reply #4 on: 15 July 2017, 12:13:12 »
Well, since Photobucket has decided to shoot itself in the head...
Out of the loop.  What going on with PB?  My old library for the Shattered Dawn fanbooks looks to be fine.
Nevermind, found it on Wikipedia.  $99 a year for external links?  $399 for imbeded images?  Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?  Time to take anything I don't have saved elsewhere off of there and maybe close that account.
« Last Edit: 15 July 2017, 12:17:14 by Siden Pryde »

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #5 on: 15 July 2017, 12:29:49 »
Sadly downloading images from photo bucket is a slow and annoying process.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #6 on: 15 July 2017, 12:34:47 »
I started using Google Photos recently.  It's not fantastic, but I needed more drive and mail space and paying for that meant I had space for photos too.  There's no option for embedding images, but if you right-click on an image, copy the address, paste it and add ?.jpg to the end, it'll work
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #7 on: 15 July 2017, 12:35:18 »
Imgur, its free and easy to use.

Do NOT use Imgur. Their service model is based around "users are content creators," so they will follow Photobucket's lead sooner or later. Also, their user community itself is filled with the worst sorts of edgelord trolls who will post insulting and racist memes on your photos. You can't delete comments, block people from posting on your stuff, or even report bad behavior.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #8 on: 15 July 2017, 12:36:49 »
Do NOT use Imgur. Their service model is based around "users are content creators," so they will follow Photobucket's lead sooner or later. Also, their user community itself is filled with the worst sorts of edgelord trolls who will post insulting and racist memes on your photos. You can't delete comments, block people from posting on your stuff, or even report bad behavior.
Thought they had to go really waaay out of their way to look up the content you upload that aren't private?
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #9 on: 15 July 2017, 14:09:53 »
The stuff i've got is all private, I don't post there, I just put my pictures on there, if its private no one can see it on Imgur unless you link it.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #10 on: 15 July 2017, 14:53:05 »
I started using Google Photos recently.  It's not fantastic, but I needed more drive and mail space and paying for that meant I had space for photos too.  There's no option for embedding images, but if you right-click on an image, copy the address, paste it and add ?.jpg to the end, it'll work

There's an effective 'free' option if you forego ultra-high resolution, which is perfectly acceptable for my BT stuff.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Louie N

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 15 July 2017, 15:39:16 »
I have a strange question.

I look at my old post and I still see my pictures hosted from photobucket.

Why aren't those showing up with the new warning?

Does it apply only to pictures linked after a certain date?

Thanks

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #12 on: 15 July 2017, 15:46:10 »
There seems to be a limit on how much data gets used showing images, before the paywall crashes down. Eg. bulk users had this problem a couple of weeks ago; people here just starting to experience it.

A guess.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 15 July 2017, 16:10:15 »
The day I got the e-mail telling me what was going on, all my images(that I'm aware of) were replaced with the warning image.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #14 on: 15 July 2017, 16:35:03 »
Thought they had to go really waaay out of their way to look up the content you upload that aren't private?

Nope. Your uploads will randomly show up on Imgur's front page.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #15 on: 17 July 2017, 22:11:33 »
I don't have any better options to recommend...

But I do find it hilarious that the new guy in charge of PB was completely taken aback by how bad the backlash has been...

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 17 July 2017, 22:22:55 »
I don't have any better options to recommend...

But I do find it hilarious that the new guy in charge of PB was completely taken aback by how bad the backlash has been...

what good is a image storage site if you can't share your images?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #17 on: 17 July 2017, 22:35:32 »
What good is it for a profit-making business, if you share the images you host with them and they don't make money?  ::)

Google Photos is easy to upload to, cumbersome to link from (you have to make sure the photo is in a Shared Album, and you're sharing the link from the Shared Album & not the unshared version of the link), but free, because they know most of what I do online. And I'm not fussed, as I don't live much of my life online.

Xtrahmxwohld

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Utinni! A beton nya mombay m'bwa!
« Reply #18 on: 18 July 2017, 11:21:15 »
I switched to Flikr....it seems to be okay so far.   1 TB of space for free.  By default, your images are private, but you can switch the access per image.

Pretty easy so far.

https://www.flickr.com/about
« Last Edit: 18 July 2017, 11:23:20 by Xtrahmxwohld »
CDT Agent #319

HikageMaru

• Captain
  • The Capellans are not evil.
« Reply #19 on: 19 July 2017, 22:36:51 »
So what happened to Photobucket?

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 20 July 2017, 01:34:13 »
From what I heard.. they got sued, lost and have to pay lots of money, decided to pass on the cost to users. Fees for the service are upthread.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 20 July 2017, 02:27:57 »
pretty much. if you want to link people to your images you have to shell out $100 a year.. if you want to actually post images you have to shell out $400 a year.

using their free service, all you can do is upload images and look at them yourself.

if they'd limited bandwidth or something, i think people wouldn't have minded. user's would grumble but that sort of thing is workable, and they already had bandwidth limits in place, so a reduction there wouldn't have hurt too badly. instead they decided to literally lock the entire reason for their existence behind a steep paywall. and wonder why everyone is so upset.
« Last Edit: 20 July 2017, 02:29:54 by glitterboy2098 »

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 20 July 2017, 07:54:17 »
And they will go bankrupt in a fairly short period of time as the bulk of their users are likely casual users and not professional photographers or corporate clients.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Siden Pryde

• Warrant Officer
  • Papermaster
« Reply #23 on: 25 July 2017, 11:17:48 »
Saw this in my SPAM folder this morning.  From info @ pbdeals.com. "Some features of your account will be disabled - Your account has been restricted for excessive usage and 3rd party hosting."  Funny, how can an empty account, that was deleted ten days ago and that no longer exists on their site, generate any usage?  Are they losing so many users that they are resorting to spam to trick people?  Selling off emails of current/former users to make a buck?  This is like the third email I have ever gotten from PB (signup, account deletion, this), and is so obviously BS.   >:(
« Last Edit: 25 July 2017, 11:19:56 by Siden Pryde »

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #24 on: 25 July 2017, 11:52:15 »
just deleted my entire account at Photobucket.

have imgur, but cannot host a lot of images there.

Maybe http://tinypic.com/ might work for us.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #25 on: 25 July 2017, 12:00:20 »
Fascinating, isn't it? It's not often you get to watch an organization commit corporate seppuku right in front of you like this.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #26 on: 25 July 2017, 12:22:52 »
Fascinating, isn't it? It's not often you get to watch an organization commit corporate seppuku right in front of you like this.

Yeah, they could have gone like Imgur, X-ammount of free hosting, want more? pay then.

But no, they went with: Here is a metric-crap-tonne of space (I had around 50 pics there, some quite large and was only 1% of my available space  :o) and so they had no other option but to charge a buttload for 3rd party hosting.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #27 on: 25 July 2017, 13:08:42 »
It makes sense that they would want to start charging for hot-linking at some point...but that they also screwed over their actual paying users at the same time just boggles my mind

[EDIT: Stupid autocorrect...]

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #28 on: 25 July 2017, 13:36:35 »
funny i had been watching that daily on few sites and following it on few sites...
as i see it some one wants pb to fail...badly
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #29 on: 25 July 2017, 14:46:19 »
funny i had been watching that daily on few sites and following it on few sites...
as i see it some one wants pb to fail...badly

I read an interview with the new management of PB. From what it reads, he was recently brought on, has no previous experience with this type of business. Saw that they are barely meeting their operating costs and decided that the business needs to start generating more revenue. (So far, fair enough, I don't think many people would begrudge them that.) He then decided that the best way to do so would be to pull a Shkreli by charging top tier plan for the most used service the company provides. All with little or no warning to existing customers. The funniest thing was that at the end of the interview, the interviewer asked point-blank if he had been prepared for the scope of the backlash they now faced. He was completely surprised by it.

HikageMaru

• Captain
  • The Capellans are not evil.
« Reply #30 on: 29 July 2017, 08:40:32 »
I had been maintaining a paid account on Photobucket for years so that my sig block images would always be available. I hope that isn't affected.

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #31 on: 29 July 2017, 09:17:20 »
I had been maintaining a paid account on Photobucket for years so that my sig block images would always be available. I hope that isn't affected.

Just to store them...no; but if you're planning to linking them to other websites, you'll have to shell out $400. (I'd also check your account, I've been reading a lot of people have been locked out of even their paid accounts unless they upgraded.)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #32 on: 29 July 2017, 22:39:50 »
I use puush for anything I display publicly

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #33 on: 06 August 2017, 10:05:57 »
Just a heads up for anyone still looking for the right site to use(myself included), Tinypic is owned by Photobucket.

Lord Cameron

• Patron Saint of GenCon Goodies
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #34 on: 05 July 2019, 18:20:53 »

Looks like it has unfortunately
Agent #395, West Coast CDT Lead

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 05 July 2019, 19:26:24 »
Been 2 years and still haven't found a solution I'm happy with.