Author Topic: New Anthology?  (Read 2726 times)

Doom

• Master Sergeant
New Anthology?
« on: 27 July 2017, 02:21:57 »
Saw this on Facebook. Supposed to be rleased at GenCon. I think it's the first anthology with *new* stories since Shrapnel?

Frabby

• Major
Re: New Anthology?
« Reply #1 on: 27 July 2017, 07:39:39 »
My guess is that this is this year's BattleCorps anthology, rebranded as "BattleTech Anthology" because BattleCorps is currently down.

Speaking of which, we've seen six BattleCorps anthologies so far. They all contained one all-new story and a dozen or so that were previously published via BattleCorps. If you liked Shrapnel then you'll love these anthologies.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #2 on: 27 July 2017, 12:35:55 »
I C&P'd the release announcement over on the Upcoming Release thread . . . its a bit different Fabby, but I suspect it will be SOME BC material and some new.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #3 on: 28 July 2017, 07:06:11 »
Per the press release on social media, it's all new material. 13 brand new stories.

Coming Soon: Legacy - A BattleTech Anthology!

"The seventy-ton GHR-5H Grasshopper can outmaneuver and outlast some of the most fearsome enemy ’Mechs, making it an invaluable asset to battlefield commanders. Even an incapacitated Grasshopper will be rebuilt to fight another day, with a new pilot at its controls, because MechWarriors can be replaced, but ’Mechs cannot.

In BattleTech: Legacy, thirteen all-new stories chronicle the fortunes and tragedies of a single ’Mech across several tumultuous points in its wide-ranging combat history. Veteran BattleTech authors Kevin Killiany and Craig A. Reed, Jr. bookend this exciting collection, while other familiar names and new blood explore important moments in this ’Mech’s history of constant, unmitigated warfare that leaves no corner of the Inner Sphere untouched."

Available in limited initial print release at GenCon, and in wide release soon after.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
    • The Livewire's Battletech Blog
« Reply #4 on: 28 July 2017, 07:51:26 »
Sounds interesting.  Kind of like how in my head cannon Grandfather's Axe can be traced all the way from a Royal Wolverine II through the SW down to a 'funny shaped Wolverine' and back up to what she is in 3067.
Alamo - When you care enough to send the very best.

And Purifiers *still* suck.

Now doing battletech blogging
https://livewire2112.blogspot.com/search/label/Battletech

MrKiasu

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 28 July 2017, 08:05:14 »
Did last year's anthology (front lines) ever get a digital release? I don't think it did.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 28 July 2017, 11:23:35 »
Per the press release on social media, it's all new material. 13 brand new stories.
Oh, wow. I remember Craig suggesting this angle for a BattleCorps project a few years back. It's a happy surprise to see the project didn't die in some dark corner - and when it comes to Kevin Killiany, I can't get enough of his writing anyways. Now I just need to find somebody who will go to GenCon, get a copy for me and mail it to me...
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #7 on: 28 July 2017, 11:53:50 »
Oh, wow. I remember Craig suggesting this angle for a BattleCorps project a few years back. It's a happy surprise to see the project didn't die in some dark corner - and when it comes to Kevin Killiany, I can't get enough of his writing anyways. Now I just need to find somebody who will go to GenCon, get a copy for me and mail it to me...

I remember this book being suggested back in 2011 or so but they couldn't figure out which 'Mech to use.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 28 July 2017, 11:59:44 »
Oh, wow. I remember Craig suggesting this angle for a BattleCorps project a few years back. It's a happy surprise to see the project didn't die in some dark corner -

I remember discussions for this when I first started writing BattleCorps stories as well. Didn't take off at the time, but good things come to those who wait.

For full transparency, I should note that I contributed one of the 13 tales.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #9 on: 28 July 2017, 13:36:30 »
I remember discussions for this when I first started writing BattleCorps stories as well. Didn't take off at the time, but good things come to those who wait.

For full transparency, I should note that I contributed one of the 13 tales.

As did I.....

These are all new stories --- no reprints here. They trace the life of one Grasshopper over three hundred years of war. We've been working like maniacs (Especially Phillip Lee, who was not only writing a story for this, wrote the introduction and epilogue, and edited it  --- and that's on top of the editing he did for other Catalyst Gencon products) to get this ready and sent to the printer. It was hard work, but we think you'll like the results.

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #10 on: 28 July 2017, 15:35:28 »
It would be really nice to get the digital version out earlier than the 6 months expected . . .
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #11 on: 28 July 2017, 17:20:33 »
I'm super excited about this anthology for a number of reasons. Not the least of which is that I'm one of the contributors and as such, this is my first time in print. It was a real challenge bringing it to life, but I am really glad that I had the opportunity to do such. (There's a tale to how my story came to be, but I'm not sure if I can talk about it before the book's out.)

I was honoured to be a part of this, and I had a blast working with everyone and bouncing ideas around while searching for references (What unit was on planet X at time Y fighting enemy Z). I'd love to do it again sometime.

Ironically, the odds of me ever seeing this book at my FLGS are very low.

Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 28 July 2017, 19:28:03 »
So far I've picked all the short story books at their gencon release.  This year that's not going to be possible.  Where else can I get the book?  Will regular retailers get this?  Game stores?
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #13 on: 28 July 2017, 19:37:42 »
Sounds interesting thirteen stories about a Mech I like that concept
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Dmon

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #14 on: 06 August 2017, 19:11:01 »
I missed this first time around... Just thought it was another bunch of BC stories. Now I know it is something MUCH, MUCH cooler.   So the big question is going to be can I buy it in electronic format or am I going to have to scour ebay/amazon etc to get one on over in  old blighty.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 06 August 2017, 21:21:17 »
Comments from the original post on Facebook say that the digital and physical copies will be available next year. That's after the run at Gen Con. So get your copy there!

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 07 August 2017, 02:36:42 »
Anyone who's going to GenCon and willing to buy me a copy of this book (and mail it to Germany), please send me a PM. I will cover your costs via paypal. Same about a new BattleCorps print anthology if there is one, and any new BT novels.

Dmon

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #17 on: 07 August 2017, 06:34:32 »
What Frabby said but mailing it to the UK... GenCon is a bit of a reach from Europe!