Author Topic: Needed tools to get started as a contributor  (Read 3437 times)

Bonepart

• Corporal
Needed tools to get started as a contributor
« on: 17 August 2017, 07:00:03 »
As a novice programmer who enjoys writing code for fun I was hoping to maybe contribute in some small way. I had written some small utilities some 5 years ago and that was fun, but was looking to broaden my horizons and learn some.

What do I need to get started? I signed up on  GitHub but have never actually used it. I downloaded the Java 1.8 SDK and Eclipse for Java Development with the EGit plugin.

Not sure where to go from here. I tried to follow the HowTo: Eclipse EGit and the Projects but it didn't seem to work? Was hoping someone would point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

pheonixstorm

• Major
Re: Needed tools to get started as a contributor
« Reply #1 on: 17 August 2017, 08:04:56 »
As long as you have Eclipse you have most or all of what you need. I would recommend getting a separate git client though for the actual git management.

You can find a good list of clients here: https://git-scm.com/downloads/guis/ I prefer SmartGit but if you don't know anything about git and are using Windows you can use the GitHub Desktop app.

You may also want to make sure you have a good text editor such as Notepad++ (windows) or Winmerge (compares and file merging, also windows).

I think most of the MM devs use git via command line and do their development on Linux.

Bonepart

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 17 August 2017, 11:14:38 »
Thanks for the information. I think I may start with rebuilding the utilities I made 5 years ago in Java to learn the particulars of using Github. I've never done any group or open source work before.

Not sure what the proper protocol is for joining a project as a contributor. Even as just a minor newbie one.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 17 August 2017, 14:46:29 »
Find what you want to add (ruleswise), fix a bug, or cleanup some exsisting code then create a pull request. Done, you are on your way to becoming a contributor ;)

Bonepart

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 17 August 2017, 15:06:03 »
Just that easy eh?  ;D

I got the Pro Git book on my ipad so I'll look that over. Also looking into Java books/reference material. Previously I did all my stuff in C#. Just have to figure out the differences and blow off 5 years of rust  #P

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 17 August 2017, 15:43:41 »
Yep, that easy. Here is the first patch I submitted that was accepted. https://sourceforge.net/p/mekhq/patches/31/

I forget what the last one I did was... or which program it was for. Human TRO SPA probably...

Bonepart

• Corporal
« Reply #6 on: 17 August 2017, 16:07:04 »
I look forward to the day when I can look back on my first patch! People seemed to like my utilities back in the day, not that I took them very far. Maybe I'll revive that thread if there is actually a use for them when I redo them in Java. I suspect it will be more for my own experience. MegaMek already does so much so well. It's really come a long way!

I grabbed a copy of Java: A Beginner's Guide, Sixth Edition. Should tell me what I need to know. Java: The Complete Reference, Ninth Edition I'll get later. Seems silly to need to purchase a reference book. Microsoft was good about having the reference material for C# online and easy to get too.

Kinda wish they gave you a free kindle version with the hardcopy, but just went with kindle for now.

NickAragua

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 17 August 2017, 16:11:09 »
Just make sure that you look at github and not sourceforge when picking out bugs to fix or features to implement.

Bonepart

• Corporal
« Reply #8 on: 17 August 2017, 16:35:25 »
Github. Got it.

I guess I should have asked. Everything I've gotten is for Java 8. Should I be looking at older versions of Java?

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 17 August 2017, 16:44:16 »
Actually you SHOULD be looking at both as the bugs on SF might be old but they also have not been fixed. When the MM devs first switched over to github I tried to make a note on the oldest ones on if they were still valid. Some have been fixed, some may have been user error, others are still bugs that need to be fixed.

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #10 on: 17 August 2017, 17:29:26 »
Wanted to jump in and confirm that everything pheonixstorm has said is correct.  We are always looking for people to help out with the projects. One the main reasons to move the projects to Github was to make it easier for people to contribute to the projects.

Depending on code skills bug fixes, and implementing new rules are always appreciated. We also encourage people to ask for the main coders to have a look at their branches, especially if its going to be something big.

For people that are reading this going, it want to help but can't code. We are always looking for artistic types to make sprites (NOT mechs they are all done) but aerospace, and tanks.  Want to make a Fire Mandrill Skin, play around and getting it looking decent and we can look at adding it.  Canon Camo Schemes, we are also looking for Fluff images based on painted mini's.  Adding summaries (not copied) to the unit files.  Although not as important with some recent additions but RATs.  If interested in helping with Data or art type work please PM me, or look for me in the Slack channel.

Also if you're not on the Slack channel for MegaMek I would encourage it. The various devs float in and out and can be tagged(summoned :) ) with the @ and their handle.

MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 17 August 2017, 17:44:38 »
umm... don't you mean pestered?? :P

Sharkapult

• Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 17 August 2017, 21:57:13 »
I am interested in helping write up unit summaries, how can I help with that part of the project? I've got a ton of the TROs and would be happy to write up some new summaries.
I've put so many playing hours into Megamek I feel like I really should help in some way.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 17 August 2017, 23:38:00 »
Write up a few and talk to hammer. Pretty sure that's what he would say.

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #14 on: 18 August 2017, 07:38:17 »
I am interested in helping write up unit summaries, how can I help with that part of the project? I've got a ton of the TROs and would be happy to write up some new summaries.
I've put so many playing hours into Megamek I feel like I really should help in some way.

Write up a few and talk to hammer. Pretty sure that's what he would say.

pheonixstorm is right.  Have a look at the Commando 1D and that is what we are looking for.  Basically grab a unit and summarize whats in the TRO. But we CAN NOT copy and paste it must be rewritten and summarized.

Once you've done a couple PM them to me.  I'll let you know if they fit what we are looking for and we can make a better plan going forward.

(For anyone else reading that is interested the same thing applies)
« Last Edit: 19 August 2017, 14:21:33 by Hammer »
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

Sharkapult

• Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 19 August 2017, 14:13:51 »
pheonixstorm is right.  Have a look at the Commando 1D and that is what we are looking for.  Basically grab a unit and summarize whats in the TRO. But we CAN NOT copy and paste it must be rewritten and summarized.

Once we done a couple PM them to me.  I'll let you know if they fit what we are looking for and we can make a better plan going forward.

(For anyone else reading that is interested the same thing applies)

Cool, I'll start compiling some ideas. I understand the no copy/paste direction. Thank you all! Now time to dig out my TROs.

Register