Author Topic: Just *why* can't vehicles use DHS?  (Read 8950 times)

Hominid Mk II

• Warrant Officer
  • Unofficial, sure. But better than nothing, right?
Just *why* can't vehicles use DHS?
« on: 18 September 2017, 08:45:00 »
I can't recall ever seeing an in-universe technobabble explanation for this.

Is there one?
Ever felt that The Powers That Were at FASA, WizKids and FanPro never gave Victor Steiner-Davion and the Federated Commonwealth a fair shake in the canon timeline? Then you might be interested in my Victor Victorious AU at

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=65976.0

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
Re: Just *why* can't vehicles use DHS?
« Reply #1 on: 18 September 2017, 08:46:35 »
Probably because they'd be considerably more potent than Mech's.  A tank can carry an unearthly amount of armour and weapons and giving them DHS just adds to it.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #2 on: 18 September 2017, 08:51:36 »
Probably because they'd be considerably more potent than Mech's.  A tank can carry an unearthly amount of armour and weapons and giving them DHS just adds to it.

also non-energy weapons not producing heat.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Hominid Mk II

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 18 September 2017, 08:52:50 »

That's the game balance consideration we all know about already. I'm wondering what the in-universe technobabble reason is. What does a Tech say in reply to a tank commander who asks why his Patton or Demolisher can't be refitted with them?
Ever felt that The Powers That Were at FASA, WizKids and FanPro never gave Victor Steiner-Davion and the Federated Commonwealth a fair shake in the canon timeline? Then you might be interested in my Victor Victorious AU at

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 18 September 2017, 08:54:35 »
Random weak stab at an excuse...

The tanks are built to utilize their "open frame" to dissipate heat (see autocannons and missile heat being ignored by a tank). The tank's open frame can't keep the heat on the double heat sinks to utilize them effectively.  It requires a closed system like BattleMechs have.  You could put double heat sinks on a tank, but the heat sinks wouldn't be any more effective than singles because the heat system can't "force" the heat over the heat sinks to that level.
Technically a tank might be able to be built that has a closed system, but then wouldn't get the free AC/missile heat "bonus", and nobody has bothered to create such a system for tanks.  (Despite environmental sealing on some tanks...hey, I said it was weak!  On top of having no idea how actual heat systems, particularly on a tank, do or would work..)
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Revanche

• Warrant Officer
  • Fanah’s Fangs (formerly of the Talitha Division)
« Reply #5 on: 18 September 2017, 09:58:34 »
I don't speak for Hominid Mk II, but that seems like a good in-universe stab.

Hominid Mk II

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 18 September 2017, 10:01:20 »
I don't speak for Hominid Mk II, but that seems like a good in-universe stab.

It's a ton better stab than the no explanation at all I've ever seen (as far as I can recall) anywhere else!

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 18 September 2017, 10:27:09 »
Another thought: Mechs generally have a much larger surface area to volume ratio than tanks do. Tanks have a lot mode space contained inside a smaller surface area, while mechs tend to have lots and lots of surface area for the same volume, what with all the arms and legs. Double heat sinks, on a recordsheet, occupy more crit slots than singles, but perhaps part of that abstraction is representing that they require more surface area to mount than a single does. It's possible that vehicles in general just don't have enough free surface to mount a useful number of double heat sinks. The surface of the tanks still has to have weapon ports, sensors, etc. so maybe there just isn't enough space to mount doubles in any useful numbers. Think of the 'fins' on a reseen Battlemaster's shoulders. I believe those are fluffed to house heat sinks. Where on a tank are you going to find a place to mount those big, armored fins without being a hinderance or adding significantly to the size of the tank?

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 18 September 2017, 10:40:13 »
Where on a tank are you going to find a place to mount those big, armored fins without being a hinderance or adding significantly to the size of the tank?

Top teams are working on this right NOW! :)

Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

dragonkid11

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 18 September 2017, 10:55:13 »

Top teams are working on this right NOW! :)

Good God, you mean those crappy looking space tank with shark fins on other 80s scifi shows are going to be real?

Anyway, adding more point onto your theory. I think the tank crews would have harder time in handling the heat too if the temperature for double heat sink is reached.

Even with coolant suit on, a tank crews need to cooperate quickly with each other for the whole unit to work. If one of them starts getting heat stroke, the chances for the CV to turn into salvage is going to increase rapidly.
On behalf of the Berserker,
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Salvage Dog AU SI Fanfic Thread
Salvage Dog AU Tech Compilation Thread
Salvage Dog AU Battlemech Thread

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #10 on: 18 September 2017, 11:55:52 »
They would be better then Mechs, and that is something BATTLETECH cant do.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #11 on: 18 September 2017, 12:08:45 »
Bug Mecha won't allow vehicles to get in on their sweet deal.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #12 on: 18 September 2017, 12:38:32 »
Why do tanks require such a large crew?

Tanks are handicap for the same reason that Battlemechs are handicap in certain ways. As is, the is built around Battlemechs being the kings of the battlefield so tanks must have some disadvantages one way or another.

Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 18 September 2017, 13:30:03 »
I like the surface area rationale.   It's better than the "open frame"-ness I've seen in early rulebooks discussing why they don't need to vent AC/Missile heat.  Canon has established that Demolisher tank crews can be killed by the waste heat from AC20s if the crewmen don't wear special cooling suits.. so it's certainly not venting harmlessly out of the tank due to its comparatively open/flimsy construction :)

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 18 September 2017, 14:04:40 »
Why do tanks require such a large crew?

The Vehicle Crew Union (Local 145) negotiated it.

Sockmonkey

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 18 September 2017, 14:49:06 »
Honestly, if they just made DHS super-expensive it would justify limiting them to mechs.
Even with DHS mechs would still have an edge in mobility in that they can cross terrain that would stop tanks.
That's it! Challenge the Clans to rock-paper-scissors in 3050! A good portion of the 'Mechs didn't have hands so the Inner Sphere would win!
If I had a nickel for every time I've legged a Warhammer, I could put them in a sock, spin it around and leg another Warhammer.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 18 September 2017, 15:07:18 »
Honestly, if they just made DHS super-expensive it would justify limiting them to mechs.

That's an interesting point if you look at XL Fusion engines.  Tanks get them a plenty by 3150... so does that disprove the point that noone will spend boucoup money producing a tank, or does it support the notion that XL Fusion engines aren't difficult/expensive to produce in 3150?  Kind of a Rorsasch effect in which answer you pick there.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 18 September 2017, 15:11:58 »
Perhaps there is a gentlemen's agreement among manufacturers.  If vehicles become too effective, then no one buys mechs.  Maybe mechs are more profitable than vehicles.  If the agreement is ignored, then mercenaries are hired to raze the factory in question. >:D

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #18 on: 18 September 2017, 15:27:15 »
I don't have my books handy, but was this addressed at all in the TechManual chapter on vees? (I mean the essay bit.)

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 18 September 2017, 21:19:26 »
I'd be happy with the reduced surface area vs Mechs meaning tanks get twice as many armor points per ton, but heat sinks only work half as well.

So they are tough, but crits can take them out.  Due to the halved effect of heat sinks high-heat weapons are horrible, thus the usage of lower-heat non-energy weapons.

I.e. imagine the Shrek, but each heat sink can only dissipate 1/2 a pt of heat.  So the 10 in the engine only dissipate 5 pts of heat, so you have to install another 10 heat sinks to get rid of the heat from the first PPC.  Each additional PPC requires another 20 tons of Heat Sinks.

dragonkid11

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: 19 September 2017, 01:14:30 »
You know, all these talk about canon waste heat lore on CV and BM makes me wonder how in the world does people get out of them safely.

I meant, they nearly cook you alive like a pressure cooker inside already. If you try to climb out of a combat vehicle or battlemech when they are still cooling down, you definitely are going to get your hand burnt without protective clothing.

Heck, how did infantry even climb up a battlemech if that's the case? Any direct contact they have with a functional, running, battlemech is going to sear their skin off painfully.
On behalf of the Berserker,
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Salvage Dog AU SI Fanfic Thread
Salvage Dog AU Tech Compilation Thread
Salvage Dog AU Battlemech Thread

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #21 on: 19 September 2017, 02:39:29 »
You know, all these talk about canon waste heat lore on CV and BM makes me wonder how in the world does people get out of them safely.

I meant, they nearly cook you alive like a pressure cooker inside already. If you try to climb out of a combat vehicle or battlemech when they are still cooling down, you definitely are going to get your hand burnt without protective clothing.

Heck, how did infantry even climb up a battlemech if that's the case? Any direct contact they have with a functional, running, battlemech is going to sear their skin off painfully.

it wouldn't be that bad. you have to remember that the heat scale does not represent actual temperature, it just represents how saturated the cooling system on the mech is.
basically, a mech is crisscrossed with coolant lines designed to pick up the heat from the weapons, equipment, and myomers, and pump the heated coolant to the heat sinks, which are basically radiators that vent the heat away. the more heat in the coolant, the less able it is to pick up new heat, and as a result systems stop working right.

sorta like when your car overheats. the engine itself is still putting out the same amount of heat as it normally does, but the coolant system is not working at full potential due to leaks or environmental factors, it can't get rid of that head fast enough, and as a result the engine stops working. but the high temps don;t extend to the car's doors or trunk, just the engine compartment.

on a mech, if it is overheating, the main danger would be touching the weapons or the heat-sink-radiators. the armor shouldn't be all that hot.

the cockpit heat issue is deceptive.. the cockpit life support system, including the A/C, would be tied into the main cooling network. when weapons get fired and other high heat output activities occur, the coolant network would stop being able to pick up the comparatively minor heat from the cockpit, because the heat gradient wouldn't b high enough. indeed, you'd probably get heat coming out of the system instead, much like how the A/C on a car that is running hot blows warm air no matter what setting it is on. presumably the cockpit has a secondary system separate from the main coolant network that kicks in when that happens, to offset that effect and keep things from getting too bad.
« Last Edit: 19 September 2017, 02:42:25 by glitterboy2098 »

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #22 on: 20 September 2017, 06:37:26 »

Welding gloves protect the hand from heat nicely. I'm sure some infantry uniform manufacturer included similar fabrics in their gloves.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 20 September 2017, 08:49:49 »
Welding gloves protect the hand from heat nicely. I'm sure some infantry uniform manufacturer included similar fabrics in their gloves.

Ever try to shoot a gun while wearing a welding glove?

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 20 September 2017, 09:45:42 »
Ever try to shoot a gun while wearing a welding glove?

No, but I've seen IraqVeteran8888 do it on YouTube!

Really though, firing the weapons in a tank is less of a manual dexterity exercise than firing an infantry weapon is. We have enough ex-tankers around here that they could probably verify not only how hot it gets inside tanks, but also whether gloves would be an issue when operating the thing. My guess is some nomex gloves wouldn't be a big hindrance, but I've never operated any part of a tank, so I could easily be wrong.

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
« Reply #25 on: 20 September 2017, 10:27:38 »
Whatever the technobabble explanation is, I suspect it's related to why a fusion engine installed on a tank requires heavier shielding than the one on a 'Mech, and why an XL engine requires a bigger fraction of a tank's total item slots than of a 'Mech's total critical slots.
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
    • Handbook: Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #26 on: 20 September 2017, 11:41:48 »
I can't recall ever seeing an in-universe technobabble explanation for this.

Is there one?

The same reason they can't use EndoSteel and have to add extra shielding to reactors...

to keep vehicles weak through nonsensical restrictions.

In universe? I don't think any explanation has been given beyond the "open frame" excuse, whatever that is.
"So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?" -- Uncle Arnie

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #27 on: 20 September 2017, 12:02:17 »
I can think of at least one instance of a cheractor being burned by brushing up against a heatsink vent coming down out of a mech (H. Mehta on Huntress in the Twilight of the Clans books, though for the life of me I can't remember the H name she had).  Made it seem like only the heatsink radiators got really hot, and not other parts of the mech.  If mech armor is a poor heat conductor (likely, if it resists being blown off by lasers) than that would be pretty reasonable, and another reason mechs would tend to be very hot.

Still doesn't explain the tank DHS thing, of course.
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #28 on: 20 September 2017, 12:16:09 »
Hell they had to change the Vehicle crit rules so bad because they were still too go.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 20 September 2017, 12:26:18 »
I'm perfectly cool with it being something in universe that can't be reflected in the construction rules without making tanks completely useless. 

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #30 on: 20 September 2017, 13:06:26 »
I can think of at least one instance of a cheractor being burned by brushing up against a heatsink vent coming down out of a mech (H. Mehta on Huntress in the Twilight of the Clans books, though for the life of me I can't remember the H name she had).  Made it seem like only the heatsink radiators got really hot, and not other parts of the mech.  If mech armor is a poor heat conductor (likely, if it resists being blown off by lasers) than that would be pretty reasonable, and another reason mechs would tend to be very hot.

I think there was a story in Shrapnel of a MechWarrior with a prisoner on the arm of his Marauder firing his PPC repeatedly and cooking the poor guy....

GoldBishop

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #31 on: 20 September 2017, 13:40:29 »
I think its a combination of factors -- Open Construction of vehicles (do not track Missile or Ballistic weapon heat) and double heat sinks being too bulky to "squeeze" into an open chassis frame (doesn't fit on small, streamlined chassis effectively or cannot be covered with enough armor to protect it).

For me and my players, the balance between rules and fluff kinda balances out.  We usually dive into the TechManual to justify anything, so this is what I've come up with (in case it comes up again):

Under Constructing Vehicles section, first item that jumped out at me was under Combat Vehicles: Myths vs Reality - Myth Number 3... 2nd started paragraph on p.92
"Finally, despite their structural weaknesses, vehicular chassis also shed waste heat more efficiently; the thermal output from ballistic systems and missile launchers has a negligible effect on vehicles. Energy weapons, however, still require the addition of heat sinks."

Then I did a quick search for Double Heat sinks and found the following (fluff, p.221) :
"Star League-era double heat sink technology vastly improved upon the standard heat sink with a larger, more powerful radiator system that enhanced the effectiveness of the existing heat pumps and coolant lines. The effect was a bulkier exchange system—roughly two hundred percent larger—for the same physical weight. The increased bulk and other factors proved too problematic for vehicle design, however, and limited its application to ’Mechs and aerospace craft. Even the more compact Clan versions have yet to overcome this limitation. ..."

...Hopefully this (or whatever was previously written) was worthy enough of an answer.  Its sufficient for me and mine in my corner of the interwebs  ;)
"Watch the man-made-lightning fly!"  -RaiderRed

massey

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: 20 September 2017, 17:06:32 »
My own head-canon is that what we think of as a "heat sink" in-game, really isn't any one type of thing.  A heat sink isn't a big air conditioning unit that is built into the mech.  A person in-universe wouldn't say "my mech has 15 heat sinks" just like they wouldn't say "my gauss rifle does 15 points of damage".  It's a game term that would be translated into a significantly different form.  (Note: there very well might be some statement somewhere in one of the books where a character says exactly that, but if there is, I think it's bad writing).

Instead, a "heat sink" is a set of construction techniques and materials that are known to dissipate heat.  These get abstracted into 1 ton, 1 critical components for gameplay, but that's not how a character in-universe would think of them.  Critical damage in the game would represent smashing something that was important, and now the mech doesn't cool quite as well.  So, you're going to have cooling lines that run through the mech.  You're going to have cooling jackets around the weapons, exhaust ports that get rid of superheat gases, surface area, specialized metals that better resist the effects of higher internal temperatures, etc.  Everything from where ammo is stored, to how your myomer bundles are wrapped around your weapon housings.

"Double heat sinks" or "Freezers" are a slang term for advanced Star League construction techniques that radically reduce heat.  It's a bulkier system, and it really limits weapon placement within the mech (you can't cram things together as tightly).  This is represented by the higher number of crits they take up.  But it's not like a super air-conditioner, it's a variety of advanced heat management systems within the mech.

This would be why mechs (originally, I don't know about how it is now with all the optional rules) can't mix and match double and single heat sinks.  It isn't like plugging in a new AC unit -- you've got to make significant changes to the internal layout of the whole thing.

Vehicles can't use them because these advanced construction techniques just aren't used in vehicles, for whatever reason.  A vehicle's traditional "heat sinks" would be very different in design from a mech's.  Improved myomer shielding doesn't really help a vehicle that doesn't use myomers.

haesslich

• Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: 22 September 2017, 21:29:20 »

It may insulate you from the heat but it also means you bake to death as your body heat is trapped in there with you and has no way to get out.

Those cooling suits tankers in the Devastator wear are probably Nomex lined... and have cooling pumps that attach to a cooling system in the chair just like a Mech's.

Sockmonkey

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #34 on: 28 September 2017, 22:58:08 »
Another thought: Mechs generally have a much larger surface area to volume ratio than tanks do. Tanks have a lot mode space contained inside a smaller surface area, while mechs tend to have lots and lots of surface area for the same volume, what with all the arms and legs. Double heat sinks, on a recordsheet, occupy more crit slots than singles, but perhaps part of that abstraction is representing that they require more surface area to mount than a single does. It's possible that vehicles in general just don't have enough free surface to mount a useful number of double heat sinks. The surface of the tanks still has to have weapon ports, sensors, etc. so maybe there just isn't enough space to mount doubles in any useful numbers. Think of the 'fins' on a reseen Battlemaster's shoulders. I believe those are fluffed to house heat sinks. Where on a tank are you going to find a place to mount those big, armored fins without being a hinderance or adding significantly to the size of the tank?
That would apply to tanks operating in a vacuum where the cooling surfaces have to be out in the open to function, but in-atmosphere all it takes is a small opening so you can pump in outside air over them. The volume isn't an issue.
What would be is the time, money, and resources to retool all the factories to produce vehicle chassis compatible with a new system.

The cockpit of a mech would have a small separate cooling unit built in as part of the life support system, which is how things like that are done in real life. It's not really practical to cool humans and heavy machinery with the same system because machines can run hotter and handle bigger temperature swings than a person. Wouldn't stop some of the reactor heat radiating up into the head of course, but it does explain why a lot of mechs have a separate head unit in the first place. It would help isolate the cockpit from the hottest bits.
That's it! Challenge the Clans to rock-paper-scissors in 3050! A good portion of the 'Mechs didn't have hands so the Inner Sphere would win!
If I had a nickel for every time I've legged a Warhammer, I could put them in a sock, spin it around and leg another Warhammer.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 29 September 2017, 01:00:08 »
The other problem with the surface area thing is that presumably the surface area is proportional to the volume the component takes up, which means that Clan DHS have twice as much volume/surface area and dissipate twice as much heat, so replacement should be possible.

Expect that HS in BT aren't radiators which worry about surface area, they're heat pumps, basically air conditioners, no surface area needed. In fact the closest thing to heat sinks we get in BT are the 'Mechs themselves, the heat gauge would be a representation of how close to saturation it is.

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: 29 September 2017, 05:03:44 »
The open and closed system works as a good explanation . I been in a game in which I encountered a non- canon hover tank that had double heat sinks but it tracked all weapon heat just like a mech . The designer put in so much tech in it one cost 40 million C Bills if memory serves . Efficacy VS cost not great vs anyone except the Clan who just would  not normally exploit the design weakness due to combat style .

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #37 on: 30 September 2017, 18:26:26 »
Whatever the technobabble explanation is, I suspect it's related to why a fusion engine installed on a tank requires heavier shielding than the one on a 'Mech, and why an XL engine requires a bigger fraction of a tank's total item slots than of a 'Mech's total critical slots.

Well that's partly because the engine in a 'Mech is greatly shielded by the torso of the 'Mech itself. The pilot gets nowhere near it. But it's different on a vehicle, the crew compartment is right up against where ever the engine is, so it needs the extra shielding to protect the crew. (At least, that's how I've always explained it.)

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #38 on: 30 September 2017, 18:52:45 »
Well that's partly because the engine in a 'Mech is greatly shielded by the torso of the 'Mech itself. The pilot gets nowhere near it. But it's different on a vehicle, the crew compartment is right up against where ever the engine is, so it needs the extra shielding to protect the crew. (At least, that's how I've always explained it.)

A good effort!  Now explain why Torso-Mounted Cockpits don't require extra shielding on the engine ala tanks.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 30 September 2017, 19:55:09 »
I figure that it's that environmental sealing that 'Mechs get for free. Of course one problem is that that extra mass is said to include transmission, which makes me wonder where mass is budgeted for a 'Mechs musculature, which presumably increases in weight as the 'Mech gets bigger and/or faster.

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
« Reply #40 on: 30 September 2017, 20:19:32 »

That's an old favorite, yeah. :)  Though like SCC is saying, it doesn't apply to designs that don't have distinct heads, and while it addresses the issue of mass it doesn't address the issue of slots. Any thoughts on how to connect it to the double heatsink issue?
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)

Tegyrius

• Master Sergeant
  • They Are Not Our Friends
« Reply #41 on: 30 September 2017, 20:24:50 »
A good effort!  Now explain why Torso-Mounted Cockpits don't require extra shielding on the engine ala tanks.

Life is cheap but BattleMechs aren't?
Some places remain unknown because no one has gone there.  Others remain unknown because no one has come back.

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #42 on: 30 September 2017, 22:57:46 »

Because even a Torso Mounted cockpit is still it's own sealed, shielded thing; even if it is physically closer to the engine than a normal head mount.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #43 on: 30 September 2017, 23:22:41 »
I figure that it's that environmental sealing that 'Mechs get for free. Of course one problem is that that extra mass is said to include transmission, which makes me wonder where mass is budgeted for a 'Mechs musculature, which presumably increases in weight as the 'Mech gets bigger and/or faster.

I've figured that the extra internal structure and extra musculature is part of the Mech's Engine weight.

But yes, torso mounted cockpits should have a mass penalty to reflect that they are closer to the Mech's engine.  By reducing the distance between the pilot and engine, you need extra physical shielding to make up for it.

Sockmonkey

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #44 on: 30 September 2017, 23:39:02 »
The only numbers that fit are ones that have the musculature be included in the engine weight. Otherwise the engine weights would increase linearly and the internal structure weight would increase on the curve instead of the other way around.
« Last Edit: 01 October 2017, 03:19:33 by Sockmonkey »

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #45 on: 01 October 2017, 00:05:06 »
Because even a Torso Mounted cockpit is still it's own sealed, shielded thing; even if it is physically closer to the engine than a normal head mount.

But why (or more specifically how) is that any different from a crew compartment on a vehicle?  Especially a single crew vehicle?

(Hint: it's because it isn't, and the rules are arbitrary and do not reflect anything remotely resembling realism.  It's a fool's errand.)
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #46 on: 01 October 2017, 01:20:49 »
(Hint: it's because it isn't, and the rules are arbitrary and do not reflect anything remotely resembling realism.  It's a fool's errand.)

It's actually because Catgirls are used as reactor shielding to make DHSs possible, and Catgirls won't go near tanks.  (Annapuma and Unipuma excepted)  Generally only mechs and ASFs are sufficiently kawaii.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #47 on: 01 October 2017, 01:40:21 »
But why (or more specifically how) is that any different from a crew compartment on a vehicle?  Especially a single crew vehicle?

Not really, 'Mechs have single person cockpits for the most part, where as tanks have multi-person crew compartments that probably take up a good chunk of their volume and that wrap around the engine, they may also need to shield infantry bays so it makes sense to shield the entire reactor.

The only numbers that fit are ones that have the musculature be included in the engine weight. Otherwise the engine weights would increase linearly and the internal structure weight would be increase on the growing curve instead of the other way around.
So this stuff is removed when the engine is put into a tank, right?

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #48 on: 01 October 2017, 01:50:59 »

Um...because like I said even Torso Mounted cockpits are a sealed unit. As in 'Mechs can work in vacuum just fine and vehicles can't unless they devote tonnage to Environmental Sealing.

Sockmonkey

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #49 on: 01 October 2017, 03:23:32 »
So this stuff is removed when the engine is put into a tank, right?
If the rules were consistent about it, yeah. A tank's suspension tracks and electric motors aren't going to weigh as much as the legs of an equally massive mech would.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #50 on: 01 October 2017, 11:33:44 »
Um...because like I said even Torso Mounted cockpits are a sealed unit. As in 'Mechs can work in vacuum just fine and vehicles can't unless they devote tonnage to Environmental Sealing.

And what possible reason is there for it to cost tonnage to seal a vehicle but not a 'Mech? ::)  Especially, once again, for single crew vehicles.  By every measure a Gabriel or a Savannah Master should require identical tonnage to a 'Mech of the same construction for their engine and to have a sealed crew compartment, on account of having exactly one crewmember (just like a 'Mech) and having their crew compartment exactly as far from the engine as a 'Mech with a Torso-Mounted Cockpit.

But they don't, because vehicles aren't allowed to be as good as 'Mechs.  It's arbitrary, it has been arbitrary from the very beginning, it will continue to be arbitrary.  That doesn't mean the decision to make them worse is bad, it just means that it was definitely a decision, and not something borne out of realistic concerns and considerations.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

cpip

• Corporal
« Reply #51 on: 01 October 2017, 11:39:44 »
And what possible reason is there for it to cost tonnage to seal a vehicle but not a 'Mech? ::)  Especially, once again, for single crew vehicles.  By every measure a Gabriel or a Savannah Master should require identical tonnage to a 'Mech of the same construction for their engine and to have a sealed crew compartment, on account of having exactly one crewmember (just like a 'Mech) and having their crew compartment exactly as far from the engine as a 'Mech with a Torso-Mounted Cockpit.

The handwave I'd go with is the neurohelmet. As far as I know, tankers in the BTU are still using control surfaces that would be more familiar to a 20th/21st century tank operator than the loadout on a 'Mech. So therefore, the shielding/sealing space that a 'Mech cockpit has, is instead additional control surfaces and electronics on a Savannah Master.

(It's a weak handwave, to be sure. But it's the best I could argue if someone insists on coming up with a 'realistic' solution. Neurohelmets wouldn't justify 'Mechs that aren't humanoid bipedal either...)

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #52 on: 01 October 2017, 11:41:06 »
if someone insists on coming up with a 'realistic' solution.

I have identified the problem.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #53 on: 01 October 2017, 11:52:45 »
The easiest answer would be Tanks use a different type of engine but Fasa era fluff already indicated that Tank engines have been salvaged to repair mechs. Head cannon, the Fusion Engine for tanks use the same parts but are ultimately constructed differently. Many other things could also play a part not reflected in the construction rules for the the sake of game simplicity, much like how we have different calibers for the AC/5 but any AC/5 ammo is AC/5 ammo for any AC/5 regardless.

It's a game, don't overthink it.     

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #54 on: 01 October 2017, 12:16:55 »
It is a game, but using the Savannah Master example, you're not going to fit a three-ton cockpit into that thing.  Also remember that vehicle fusion engines have to add 50% of their mass for extra "shielding".  It's already baked in.

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #55 on: 01 October 2017, 12:45:40 »

But they don't, because vehicles aren't allowed to be as good as 'Mechs.  It's arbitrary, it has been arbitrary from the very beginning, it will continue to be arbitrary.  That doesn't mean the decision to make them worse is bad, it just means that it was definitely a decision, and not something borne out of realistic concerns and considerations.

Dude, the whole point of this thread was to try to find an in-universe justification of why the rules are a certain way. Of course the out of universe answer is gonna be "game balance". Duh. But that misses the entire point of the thread.

RunandFindOut

• Lieutenant
  • Master of the LolCat Horde
« Reply #56 on: 01 October 2017, 13:02:41 »
Dude, the whole point of this thread was to try to find an in-universe justification of why the rules are a certain way. Of course the out of universe answer is gonna be "game balance". Duh. But that misses the entire point of the thread.
No, you are missing HIS point.  That the rules are arbitrary and difficult to impossible to justify in universe as well.  The rules were created arbitrarily out-of-universe and done in such a way that you can't actually find a good justification for them in universe.  Pretty any much explanation ends up falling flat if it's not allowed to stand without any question. 

The extra fusion engine tonnage was specifically added to reduce the amount of weapons tonnage available to vehicles so heavy tanks wouldn't have so much available.  The double heat sink rule was added after those were created because allowing them on tanks made them too competitive for mechs.  In both cases little to no thought was given to why those rules should be the case from an in-universe perspective.  And this resulted in the current situation where people frequently point it out because the lack of forethought has caused those rules to require much more suspension of disbelief.  Singling them out for attention.
One does not just walk into Detroit

She ignored the dragon, and Freddy Mercury who arrived to battle it with the Power of Rock.

Revanche

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #57 on: 01 October 2017, 14:33:41 »
That the rules are arbitrary and difficult to impossible to justify in universe as well. 

But that is breaking the premise of the question: the search for an in-universe answer. Just because one individual cannot creatively solve the answer doesn't mean no one can. There are plenty of places where people enjoy staying within the bounds of the universe and seek creative answers.

However, I think it might be best for those of us that do ask in-universe questions just ignore the responses that don't play by the requested rules. Neither party has to convince the other it must be done in-universe or from the behind-the-scenes perspective.

I--for one--subscribe to the extra shielding needed when removed from the inherent protection of a 3-ton cockpit. Someone can shoot that down (for only for their head canon), but I'll replace my head canon when a better answer is provided.
« Last Edit: 01 October 2017, 14:37:04 by Revanche »

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #58 on: 01 October 2017, 14:36:46 »
That the rules are arbitrary and difficult to impossible to justify in universe as well.

If you take the rules for game as literal interpretation, yeah. Your just going to bang your head against the wall. Take it as a abstract interpretation and you got some room for logic and head canon. Was this aspect of Tanks a after thoughts from the creators, yes. But unless you have a time machine, we have to make the best of it unless you want to ret-con allot of tanks out of existence.

I'm sticking with my head canon that tank fusion engine and mech fusion engines use the same parts but are ultimately different.   

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
« Reply #59 on: 01 October 2017, 15:21:43 »
And what possible reason is there for it to cost tonnage to seal a vehicle but not a 'Mech? ::) 
<snip>
It's arbitrary, it has been arbitrary from the very beginning <snip> and not something borne out of realistic concerns and considerations.

I don't think it's unrealistic to use cheaper construction on vehicles than on 'Mechs. It's a doctrinal (or logistical) barrier rather than a purely technological one, sure, but it is something the books give some consideration to.

The easiest answer would be Tanks use a different type of engine but Fasa era fluff already indicated that Tank engines have been salvaged to repair mechs.

That's ultimately a semantic problem with how the word "engine" is getting parsed.

So therefore, the shielding/sealing space that a 'Mech cockpit has, is instead additional control surfaces and electronics on a Savannah Master.
you're not going to fit a three-ton cockpit into that thing.  Also remember that vehicle fusion engines have to add 50% of their mass for extra "shielding".  It's already baked in.

Oh hey, those are good points. I doubt there's many vehicles where the 1.5x engine multiplier isn't better than paying 3 tons per crewmember.

That the rules are arbitrary and difficult to impossible to justify in universe as well
<snip>
In both cases little to no thought was given to why those rules should be the case from an in-universe perspective. 

That's your opinion. In some ways, I agree with it. But it's super shaky ground unless you personally witnessed the events in question, or interviewed someone who did, or can present an exhaustive survey of all BattleTech stuff ever written.

And even if it's true, it isn't a useful point to make. That initial arbitrariness doesn't tell us anything about the surrounding constraints. And while the constraints may seem so tight as to make an explanation impossible, that doesn't actually mean that explanation is impossible--it just means you identify the constraints and put them up for discussion.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #60 on: 01 October 2017, 15:39:43 »
Really though, firing the weapons in a tank is less of a manual dexterity exercise than firing an infantry weapon is. We have enough ex-tankers around here that they could probably verify not only how hot it gets inside tanks, but also whether gloves would be an issue when operating the thing. My guess is some nomex gloves wouldn't be a big hindrance, but I've never operated any part of a tank, so I could easily be wrong.

I never noticed heat from shooting  ......   just from it being summer time,  metal gets mighty hot or mighty cold depending on what the outside temperature is pure at simple.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
« Reply #61 on: 01 October 2017, 15:57:12 »
Ahhhhh, took too long writing this to add to my previous post...

However, I think it might be best for those of us that do ask in-universe questions just ignore the responses that don't play by the requested rules.

Eh... People are trying to be helpful, raising points they think have been overlooked or ignored. (Which is good because stuff does sometimes get overlooked or ignored.) Better to acknowledge the points so they don't get repeated later, and to retrace the discussion back to the OP--you never know when it's you, not them, forgetting what the thread's about. ;)

Revanche

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #62 on: 01 October 2017, 16:18:30 »
Eh... People are trying to be helpful, raising points they think have been overlooked or ignored. (Which is good because stuff does sometimes get overlooked or ignored.) Better to acknowledge the points so they don't get repeated later, and to retrace the discussion back to the OP--you never know when it's you, not them, forgetting what the thread's about. ;)

You're right. "Ignore" was too strong a word. I meant not get pulled off-course by statements to just accept the real-world reason, but couldn't phrase is it more clearly without coming off as accusatory.

I follow several in-universe sub-reddits that become very interesting intellectually, and statements of "writer's fiat" or "better television" get moderated out there. It might be interesting to have a sub-forum here aimed at that type of discussion.
« Last Edit: 01 October 2017, 16:22:19 by Revanche »

massey

• Captain
« Reply #63 on: 01 October 2017, 16:52:02 »
My personal head-canon is that the tonnage figures we're given in the game are purely artificial.  It's a simple game mechanic for balance, and it bears very little resemblance to the actuality of the fictional universe.  Even when the tonnage figures are given in the novels, that should be interpreted as "game speak" coming through for convenience of the readers (like how everyone in the Draconis Combine speaks English except for a handful of Japanese words thrown in for flavor).

An Overlord dropship is over 400 feet tall, the size of a decent skyscraper.  There's no way it weighs 9,700 tons.  It probably weighs more than 10 times that amount.  That allows for more realistic figures for cargo, fuel, etc.  What we call an 80 ton mech might weigh closer to 350 tons.  Mechs aren't really the same size as vehicles, we just use the abstractions of the game to put them in similar classes.

In fact, everything we "know" about the game universe is grossly simplified.  Combat vehicles are relatively simple designs similar (conceptually) to what we've got today.  Battlemechs are crazy super-advanced technology that our early 21st century science just can't grasp.  Even "advanced tech" combat vehicles are really just normal vehicle frames that have some stripped-down good stuff bolted on there.

The game rules try to give a balanced and fun set of rules so that people can enjoy different styles of combat and use varied forces.  In universe a Demolisher tank opens up on a Shadow Hawk, and the mech raises its arms to protect its head and torso, while simultaneously diving out of the way so it only takes a grazing hit.  The mech rolls to its feet, then ignites its jump jets before the tank can rotate its turret enough to bring its guns to bear again.  Suddenly the tank lurches to one side, as the mech lands on top of it, busting its tracks to pieces and shoving the front of the vehicle into the earth.  Then the Shadow Hawk grabs the bottom of the turret and begins ripping and wrenching at it, and there is a horrible sound of tearing metal as the turret pops off of the top of the tank.  The mech tosses it to one side before dismissively firing a medium laser blast into the open hole in the body of the tank, triggering an explosion of fuel and ammunition.  The mech turns to confront its next opponent as the tank lies in the sand, a burning twisted wreck.

But that sort of thing isn't fun for the tank player, so we don't have game rules that do that.  The lack of double heat sinks is a hint that vehicles don't use the same cooling technologies as mechs.  They aren't even in the same ballpark, and you can't really retrofit that type of technology onto a vehicle without pretty much turning the thing into a mech anyway.

Spinosapper

• Lieutenant
« Reply #64 on: 01 October 2017, 23:59:17 »
The easiest answer would be Tanks use a different type of engine but Fasa era fluff already indicated that Tank engines have been salvaged to repair mechs. Head cannon, the Fusion Engine for tanks use the same parts but are ultimately constructed differently. ...

To be fair, they never said that salvaged tank engines were a good fit for the mechs.  Now I'm imagining a spider in the 3SW trying awkwardly to run and jump around with a massive potbelly because the only replacement 240 rated fusion engine the mechwarrior could find came from a downed Manticore  ;D

Could be a fun quirk for those running a campaign?  Piloting penalties and easier crit rolls for center torso hits?

"Whoever said, 'never shoot a man in the back' never saw the front of a Hunchback."

Nebfer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #65 on: 09 October 2017, 16:35:37 »
If you take the rules for game as literal interpretation, yeah. Your just going to bang your head against the wall. Take it as a abstract interpretation and you got some room for logic and head canon. Was this aspect of Tanks a after thoughts from the creators, yes. But unless you have a time machine, we have to make the best of it unless you want to ret-con allot of tanks out of existence.

I'm sticking with my head canon that tank fusion engine and mech fusion engines use the same parts but are ultimately different.   

Well one could argue that it's not to far off, A B-tech tank seems to have it's engine mass comprise of the engine, transmission (listed separately in Fusion powered units), final drives the suspension and tracks (and if applicable fuel tanks, being roughly 1/10th the total mass). Battlemechs their engines do seem to factor in the myomers.

Nightsong

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #66 on: 10 October 2017, 07:57:42 »
The only numbers that fit are ones that have the musculature be included in the engine weight. Otherwise the engine weights would increase linearly and the internal structure weight would increase on the curve instead of the other way around.

That’s how I’ve always looked at it. You’ve got a friggin’ micro star in even the smallest reactor. That’s a metric buttload of raw power. The reason the weights are so skewed at the high end is simply because to translate that much power into movement and whathaveyou becomes increasingly inefficient in mass the more efficient the translation of power is. It’s also why, except for the one reference to Vlad’s gauss rifles in Lost Destiny, I’ve never seen a reference to power issues when going full-on beamspam. The plant is providing more than enough power to run your guns, it’s just translating that to booking a CGR-1A1 at over 80kph that costs almost 2/3rds of its mass budget.

Register