Author Topic: Briefing Room Question  (Read 6071 times)

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
Briefing Room Question
« on: 29 September 2017, 01:35:52 »
So, I have my first contract. I've made it to the contract location. Now there's red ink in the area marked "Deployment Requirements". 0/1 under the headings: Total and Fight.

It looks like I'm supposed to be doing something. Am I supposed to be doing something?

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
Re: Briefing Room Question
« Reply #1 on: 29 September 2017, 02:10:59 »
Figured it out.

I think.

trtw

• Private
« Reply #2 on: 29 September 2017, 03:18:34 »
depending on your contract your employer will require you to assign a certain amount of lances to certain tasks. Assign your lances accordingly to fill out those requirements and you're good to go. Advance the days until you get a battle. These will always be posted on the Monday of each week

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #3 on: 29 September 2017, 10:32:34 »
You need to field the indicated number of lances both in total and for the specific mission type.  Normally, it's something like "3/1 Scout" or the like, where you need to assign missions to at least 3 lances, one of them with a Scout mission.  The others can be set to Fight, Defend, Scout, or Training, with any other lances Unassigned.  Fight and Scout missions have higher combat odds, with Defense and Training considerably lower.

Normally, you set these on Sunday, and the assignments will be used for the rest of the week's combats.  The odds of each lance with a mission ending up in combat depends on the mission type, the contract difficulty and campaign difficulty settings, and the quality and current morale of the opposing force.

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 29 September 2017, 11:48:48 »
So, the first time around I didn't assign troops like that (and got a big fight toward the end of the contract). This time I did make the assignment (and got no fight). Was that just coincidence?

PS: And thanks for the responses.
« Last Edit: 29 September 2017, 11:59:37 by MrJake »

celem

• Private
« Reply #5 on: 29 September 2017, 12:30:12 »
Yes that is coincidence.  The big fight would have been labelled as 'Special'  It was rolled for on the 1st of the month and isnt generated in the way others outlined above.  Passing time without the correct lances assigned is considered breach of contract. (Or it is at the moment the week ticks sunday to monday and it looks at this)

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 29 September 2017, 17:02:10 »
Yep, I remember the word "Special" being in there somewhere. Didn't deploy lances like I was supposed to, tho. No messages about Contract Breach.

Also, may have found a bug. I elected for a 3025 campaign and the game tried to generate an "enemy convoy, civilian vehicles," which was my objective (to destroy), but they never appeared. Had a Bot and an initiative order, just no units.

Is it possible that there are no "civilian vehicles" listed for use on RATs from that era? I worked on up in MekLab and included in my custom folder (with the proper era dates), but how would one indicate that they were "civilian"?

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 29 September 2017, 20:50:53 »
All right, I'm back to "I don't get it...."

When I rclick, I get a menu with Deploy Force as an option, but it's "greyed out."

I have a deploy option on each unit which isn't greyed out, but it leads to the contract title which appears selectable, but isn't.

I have no idea how I got it to work last nite.

Please help.

Pretty please....

trtw

• Private
« Reply #8 on: 29 September 2017, 21:39:50 »
do you have your lances set up under the TO&E tab?

if not then at the top left you will see the My Campaign button. Right click that and choose 'add new force'. You can then create a lance from your owned equipment. After this it should be available for assignment in the Briefing Room tab

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 29 September 2017, 22:41:22 »
Yeeeeaah, I found that. No joy, tho. Still the same. Going to try advancing time and see what happens.

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 29 September 2017, 22:52:27 »
Could it be that you need a minimum number of lancemates? I hired help and now I can deploy. I just can't undeploy. Freaky.

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 29 September 2017, 22:59:19 »
Also, whoever hid the the drop down menus on the deployment section of the briefing room is getting coal for xmas. 

celem

• Private
« Reply #12 on: 30 September 2017, 04:13:33 »
Its probably worth pointing out that mekhq supports both deploying of individual 'units' and of 'forces' like lances.  You can deploy all but one of a lance in this way by manual selection, or pick an individual for solo missions.

Theres a limit to the number of seperate 'forces' you can bring to a battle governed usually by commanding officer's skills, I forget exactly which one steers max deployed. 

I mention this because I've seen the greyed out deployment option you mentioned, usually when i've already got my maximum of forces committed.

Also if you have your lances properly assigned roles like scout/fight/whatever then not only do they generate weekly fightsd, but they will be automatically deployed to them, you just add reinforcements.

Keep asking, we really don't mind and wanna help ;)

BLOODWOLF

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #13 on: 30 September 2017, 10:18:02 »
In your HQ folder docs/AtB Stuff has the official rules in a spreadsheet and then a documentation on how it works on HQ(not sure if its complete yet).

Most common issues people have is like previously stated, when you accept a contract and get to the planet, in the briefing tab the bottom right is going to display the required lances that need to be assigned to that role to get scenarios to generate. 

Special missions like officer dual require that you assign one of your mechs to the scenario (its a dual between officers states this in the scenarios description).

And then there is the issue with opfor generation and civilian units now.  In your campaign settings AtB tab use the RAT generator option instead of using the RATs list and things will work.  I dont know if that a bug or what but the RAT generator works fine.

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #14 on: 30 September 2017, 12:44:44 »
Thanks for the encouragement.

First fight! First Victory!

Outnumbered 4 to one and chosen to be the goat by the Bot, I ran to the opposite end of the board (like a boss!) and completed my objective. Yeah me! Fallen Angel Lance/Hellfire Company rules! Whoo whoo! In your face high school guidance counselor!  ^-^

ajh

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 30 September 2017, 13:44:11 »
Ooooh, a duel!

Took me half an hour to figure how to manual assign a unit, but still...that was fun!

Stupid ammo explosion destroyed my salvage, but I captured an enemy pilot.

Which brings me to my next question: What happened to the pilot I captured? He's not showing up on the prisoners list. Does capturing enemy pilots provide any benefit? Am I missing something?

Rince Wind

• Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 30 September 2017, 14:01:23 »
You should have gotten some money and he should be in your prisoners list. When he has a * next to his name he is willing to defect.

If he is not in your list he has not been captured I guess. Picking one up during the fight doesn't seem to have any influence on actual captures.

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #17 on: 30 September 2017, 14:16:52 »
Yeah, captured in combat.  >:( Drats! Foiled again!

Also...MegaMek thinks I'm much better at this than I actually am.

The list of opponents for the next fight is...extensive.

RahTol

• Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: 30 September 2017, 20:52:15 »
Make sure you check out your objectives. ATB rarely expects you to fight the full AI force to a victory. Most of the objectives are much easier then just beating them, even stand up just expects you to take out 50% of their BV before they get 50% of yours.

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #19 on: 30 September 2017, 21:34:53 »
What? NOOOOooooooooo...................

I need an emoji that has a flat head...from pounding it against a wall all day.

A wall with 3 times my BV.

Three. Times. My. BV.

I-I think I need to be alone for awhile.

ajh

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #20 on: 30 September 2017, 23:59:06 »
What does Admin/HR do? The others apparently give a renegotiate option, but I can't figure out what HR does.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #21 on: 01 October 2017, 01:01:05 »
Nothing for contract I believe. I think it does have some use elsewhere though... might want to read over the AtB doc though.

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #22 on: 01 October 2017, 12:21:44 »
Yeah, I checked both AtB docs. No love that I could find.

BLOODWOLF

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #23 on: 01 October 2017, 20:00:56 »
In the AtB2.31 rules spreadsheet inside the docs/AtB stuff folder that spreadsheet explains admin/HR's are for hiring personnel.  The HR's admin skill modifier will be applied to the rolls (whether that is actually coded into HQ or not I dont know).

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #24 on: 01 October 2017, 21:26:39 »
Ah. That explains it. I don't have anything to read xls files. I'm liberal arts. :))

Another quick question while I have your attention. When a scenario says to eliminate 50% of the opposing force, but the opposing force has reinforcement that arrive later, does the scenario end when half the total force is destroyed, including the reinforcements? Or does the 50% refer to half of the initial force?

Rince Wind

• Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: 02 October 2017, 05:16:28 »
Reinforcements never count for anything.

Open Office is free and can read .xls, as can google docs and I presume the Microsoft equivalent.

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #26 on: 02 October 2017, 13:07:32 »
Reinforcements never count for anything.

M$*(&$@  #%(&$%($#^*)  %#^@  @%&)^$!!!!!

TriplerSDMB

• Corporal
  • I ♥ C4
« Reply #27 on: 29 May 2020, 14:33:43 »
Figured it out.

I think.

I realize this thread is 2 1/2 years old, but I'm experiencing the same thing.  What did you do?

I also note that my "[GM] Generate Scenarios" button is clickable, but not working. . .  Am I missing something?

Edited to add: using MekHQ 0.46.1.

Trip
« Last Edit: 29 May 2020, 14:43:24 by TriplerSDMB »
DISCLAIMER: All thoughts and ideas put forth in this communication are sole property of the voices in my head. ©1998-2023 - 'The Voices' (TM). All rights reserved.

Windchild

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #28 on: 29 May 2020, 16:00:02 »
You will need to create a lance in the TO&E, then you can assign them to the role in question. The AtB starter guide in the docs/atb stuff folder has pictures on page 26 to show how the assignment works.

GM Generate Scenarios: it forces a roll for missions in the next 7 days. Lances already assigned to an active scenario (i.e. one that hasn't been a victory, draw, defeat, but rather one that hasn't been played yet) can't have new scenarios generated for them. Training Lances are granted 1 experience at this button press, if the enemy morale is low enough it won't attempt to generate for the lance, and it will stop everything and only have the one scenario if a base attack scenario as Attacker is generated. If enemy morale is invincible then you instead get a base assault mission, which will remove any other generated missions.
This is how it works in general, but there were a few minor changes in 0.47.4 (maybe 0.47.3, not 100% certain) and this was written after that point.
« Last Edit: 30 May 2020, 07:23:38 by Windchild »
MegaMek Developer - MekHQ, Personnel, and Internal Focus
MegaMek Discord
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

TriplerSDMB

• Corporal
  • I ♥ C4
« Reply #29 on: 29 May 2020, 16:09:34 »
I guess I should have clarified. . . I already have a TO&E setup, and am able to add individual scenarios, and deploy Lances to those scenarios. 

But the "Deployment Requirements" box to the right is still showing my current Contract, with a "0/1" under fight.  I also have a "Current Assignments" box with other non-assigned units that apparently have roles pre-assigned, and I'm not able to change those either--clicking anything in either box is unresponsive.

I do currently have unassigned Lances.  Is there a setting I've missed to get the GM Generate Scenarios roll to take effect?
DISCLAIMER: All thoughts and ideas put forth in this communication are sole property of the voices in my head. ©1998-2023 - 'The Voices' (TM). All rights reserved.