Author Topic: RoTs Standing Guard  (Read 738 times)

Goatboy

• Private
RoTs Standing Guard
« on: 16 October 2017, 04:41:21 »
I'm thinking of starting a Dark Ages campaign using a Standing Guard unit. Since I have no experience playing in this time frame I thought I would ask for advice on unit selection. So far I have the command lance only, any thoughts welcome. Similarly any suggestions for companions.

Command lance

MAD-9WS Marauder
Nova Cat Prime
THS-4S Thanatos
MAD-6D Marauder II

Thanks  :)

Nav_Alpha

• Major
Re: RoTs Standing Guard
« Reply #1 on: 16 October 2017, 21:23:16 »
Couple things to guide you: Standing Guard units are typically brigade strength (ie: 2-3 regiments), equipped with usually a company or less of Mechs and high in regular infantry and conventional fighters over BA and ASF.

Things change too - the above is from FM: 3085. I imagine by the early dark ages you’d see even less Mechs, but maybe an increase in BA as they become more common.
And the when the HPG link goes down, I’d expect militias to rush in more and more converted WorkMechs.

So it really depends on what year you’re thinking.

I’d suggest backing up your command lance with a lot of older gear cast off by the regular troops, a smattering or RetroTech designs like the Rook, etc.
And then round that out with a couple AgroMech MODs or something.

Maybe chuck your lance commanders in decent, newer machines like the Blade and fluff them as recently moved from regular RAF?

The good news is you can get some decent tanks like the Demon (both older assault class and newer Medium), some Marksman MBTs and decent BA like the Kopis and various Purifier knock offs made by the RAF.
Oh, and what about some Condors for your light cav?

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Re: RoTs Standing Guard
« Reply #2 on: 16 October 2017, 21:57:41 »
Regardless of what the Click game or novels told you, if your Command Lance for a first-world brigade-level unit includes an Industrial Mech you're doing it wrong.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Register