Author Topic: Sell me on Interstellar Operations and Alpha Strike  (Read 2697 times)

Gallowglacht

• Corporal
Sell me on Interstellar Operations and Alpha Strike
« on: 19 October 2017, 08:49:40 »
So I've ordered Interstellar Ops and Alpha Strike online.
Tell me what I'll love, or at least what you love, so I can get all excited.
(I don't have Strategic Operations, do I need it for the Abstract Combat System in Interstellar?)

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Sell me on Interstellar Operations and Alpha Strike
« Reply #1 on: 19 October 2017, 08:58:16 »
IO is about large-scale conflict.  If you do plan on zooming in to actively play out any key battles, Alpha Strike will be the best way to do it.  You can do company level battles in a couple hours, or even game out entire battalions facing off against one another in one sitting (no need to commandeer the garage or dining room table for an entire weekend!)

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #2 on: 19 October 2017, 19:13:35 »
Tai Dai Cultist hit it on the head, Alpha Strike is great for games bigger than a lance vs lance. My group has been able to finish battalion vs battalion games in 5 hours. :D
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 19 October 2017, 19:16:12 »
Game length in Alpha Strike:

Lance - 45 minutes (if that)
Company - 1:30 to 2:00
Battalion - 4:00 to 6:00

It's also significantly better balanced as a point system.  I expect 500 points to fight 500 points well, barring some minor exploits, basically irrespective of what kind of terrain or units are involved.  The same is not true for 5000 versus 5000 BV.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #4 on: 19 October 2017, 19:39:37 »
Have to agree with everyone here.  Company size game can go pretty quick.  My step-son and I a relatively new to AS and we are enjoying it quite a bit.  Largest we've done so far was two full Battlemech companies, and that game was a little over three hours.  We are slowly working our way into larger battles and using more of the SPAs and SCAs.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Gallowglacht

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: 20 October 2017, 09:26:31 »
That sounds pretty good. Might be easier to get some buddies into it, one or two who hadn't played BTech before didn't seem too keen on the detail of BattleTech.
A quicker resolution on a table looking more like the 40K battles we used to play might do the trick.

Do I need the Companion for Alpha Strike, or is just the core enough to get going with?
Are base sizes important? I have a couple of Robotech Boxes for unseen Warhammers, Archers, Riflemen and the like. Is it OK to just leave them on Robotech Bases for Alpha Strike?
Do I need Strategic Operations for Intersteller operations, or is it basically stand alone?

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #6 on: 20 October 2017, 23:18:34 »
Do I need the Companion for Alpha Strike, or is just the core enough to get going with?
Are base sizes important? I have a couple of Robotech Boxes for unseen Warhammers, Archers, Riflemen and the like. Is it OK to just leave them on Robotech Bases for Alpha Strike?
Do I need Strategic Operations for Intersteller operations, or is it basically stand alone?

No, you do not need the Companion for AS, but it does have some additional info and options that are fun.  It also contains more scenario options (but nothing you can't come up with on our own), and the definitions and abilities for all the different lance types.

Bases really don't matter for AS.  Everything is done in inches, and facing changes cost nothing.  So hex, circle, rectangle, or none at all, it has no impact.

Your last question I cannot answer.  I do not own either of those books, and they are not necessary for AS.

Hope you all enjoy it and have fun!  :)
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Gallowglacht

• Corporal
« Reply #7 on: 21 October 2017, 02:24:29 »
Awesome, just what I wanted to hear, especially the bases.
Too many of the mechs seem too big to be comfortable on the hex bases anyway.
The Loki and Thor from the starter set seem much happier on larger round bases.
Maybe I should print out some maps with larger hexes for normal BattleTech?

Final, unrelated question. Is there a Warhammer variant with torso mounted LRMs?
Or is that too close to the Robotech Tomahawk for comfort?

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 21 October 2017, 04:10:25 »
Alpha Strike can be run in hex mode, just like TW can be run hexless. Hexes offer two advantages: They speed up gameplay (No arguing about what counts as what) and no need to ensure consistent sized bases.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #9 on: 21 October 2017, 07:54:04 »
Final, unrelated question. Is there a Warhammer variant with torso mounted LRMs?

Not that I know of.  But don't let that stop you from making your own  ;)

Gallowglacht

• Corporal
« Reply #10 on: 21 October 2017, 08:41:02 »

Hmm, don't have TechManual and haven't made a Mech in over a decade, maybe more.
Let's do this.

*Grabs 1992 book*

OK so to make a Tomahawky style Warhammer I need:

Large cannons on either side:
2 * AC 10's
I need LRM racks in each torso. The models have 12 missiles, so let's say LRM10's
2 * LRM 10's
Tomahawks have 2 machine guns in the head, but we only have 1 BTech crit slot. 2 smaller linked Machineguns in fluff can be represented by the stats for 1 Machinegun in BTech. Using the same logic, the gun clusters in each torso can be a flamer and machine gun in each cluster.
3 * Machine Guns
2 * Flamers
And finally the SRM 6
1 * SRM6

That is like 26 tons of weapons, way more than a classic Whammy. Plus 5 tons ammo (1 ton LRM, 1 ton SRM, 1 ton MG and 2 Tons AC). Now the Tomahawk noted as slow and maneuverable, so I can justify a smaller 210 engine, but I'm going to have to sacrifice armour or heat-sinks. Heat-sinks it is.

So with 70 tons to play with:
7 for Internal Structure
3 Cockpit
3 Gyro
9 Engine
14 Armour
26 Weapons
5 Ammo

leaves 3 for heat sinks.
So 13 heat. The flamers and LRMs won't be firing at the same target anyway, so 2 * AC/10 + 2 LRM/10 and SRM/6 equals 18 heat.  [blank] (my 4yr old son insisted I add the smiley)
That doesn't seem ideal, but it looks like a close match for the Tomahawk and might be a bit of fun before an ammo explosion obliterates it.

Have I missed anything?

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 21 October 2017, 09:09:42 »

A variant with MMLs in place of SRMs would be a logical evolution.
That being said, there is the canonical Dark Age Davion variant with the Thunderbolt launcher.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 21 October 2017, 09:43:01 »
Alpha Strike can be run in hex mode, just like TW can be run hexless. Hexes offer two advantages: They speed up gameplay (No arguing about what counts as what) and no need to ensure consistent sized bases.

There's no rule that base sizes must be consistent.  There are advantages to both, so it's not like you can game the system with them.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 21 October 2017, 09:48:22 »
There's no rule that base sizes must be consistent.  There are advantages to both, so it's not like you can game the system with them.

Hehe.  You can put your battle armor on a dinner plate for its base to make it easy to get in range to touch a mech for AM attacks.. but then again a huge base like that is easy to hit with artillery :D

Gallowglacht

• Corporal
« Reply #14 on: 21 October 2017, 10:56:06 »
Hmm, don't have TechManual and haven't made a Mech in over a decade, maybe more.
Let's do this.

*Grabs 1992 book*

OK so to make a Tomahawky style Warhammer I need:

Large cannons on either side:
2 * AC 10's
I need LRM racks in each torso. The models have 12 missiles, so let's say LRM10's
2 * LRM 10's
Tomahawks have 2 machine guns in the head, but we only have 1 BTech crit slot. 2 smaller linked Machineguns in fluff can be represented by the stats for 1 Machinegun in BTech. Using the same logic, the gun clusters in each torso can be a flamer and machine gun in each cluster.
3 * Machine Guns
2 * Flamers
And finally the SRM 6
1 * SRM6

That is like 26 tons of weapons, way more than a classic Whammy. Plus 5 tons ammo (1 ton LRM, 1 ton SRM, 1 ton MG and 2 Tons AC). Now the Tomahawk noted as slow and maneuverable, so I can justify a smaller 210 engine, but I'm going to have to sacrifice armour or heat-sinks. Heat-sinks it is.

So with 70 tons to play with:
7 for Internal Structure
3 Cockpit
3 Gyro
9 Engine
14 Armour
26 Weapons
5 Ammo

leaves 3 for heat sinks.
So 13 heat. The flamers and LRMs won't be firing at the same target anyway, so 2 * AC/10 + 2 LRM/10 and SRM/6 equals 18 heat.  [blank] (my 4yr old son insisted I add the smiley)
That doesn't seem ideal, but it looks like a close match for the Tomahawk and might be a bit of fun before an ammo explosion obliterates it.

Have I missed anything?

D'oh.
AC 10's are 12 tons each, not 7. I mixed up the slots and weight on them.
That's like 40.5 tons of weapons or something.
Well that won't work.
Now I see why they went with PPC's instead of AC's. :(

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #15 on: 21 October 2017, 12:12:31 »
D'oh.
AC 10's are 12 tons each, not 7. I mixed up the slots and weight on them.
That's like 40.5 tons of weapons or something.
Well that won't work.
Now I see why they went with PPC's instead of AC's. :(

The original Macross Tomahawk destroid had particle cannons in the arms anyways...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Gallowglacht

• Corporal
« Reply #16 on: 21 October 2017, 13:06:46 »
Yeah, you're right. Some of the art makes them look like they are firing conventional cannons. That gave me the idea that if I stripped out heat sinks and replaced PPCs with ACs I might squeeze in the LRMs. AC5s might fit with some work.
Maybe I'm better off waiting until I find a TechManual at a reasonable price, that isn't in German, and trying again with a higher tech level.
In the meantime, the Tomahawks with closed LRM bays will work just fine as normal Whammies.

Edit: Looking at the WHM-8D in project phoenix, it looks like it is doable with smaller engine, endo steel structure and fewer double heat sinks and swapping AC10s for PPCs.
So that's what I'll do then.
« Last Edit: 21 October 2017, 13:46:47 by Gallowglacht »

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #17 on: 21 October 2017, 13:49:08 »
Maybe I'm better off waiting until I find a TechManual at a reasonable price, that isn't in German, and trying again with a higher tech level.

You can still get TechManual as a PDF from DriveThru RPG.  And if you still want ACs in the arms, take a look at the Hammerhands.  Twin AC-10s.  Might give you some ideas.

Gallowglacht

• Corporal
« Reply #18 on: 21 October 2017, 14:17:25 »
Can't get used to PDFs for gaming. Which is weird as I am fine with them for other things.
As a plan B, I've emailed Catalyst asking do they give permission to print off a copy of a pdf for personal use. If they are cool with that, problem solved.

After that it's either improve my German, or get used to gaming with pdfs.

Thanks for the Hammerhands tip, which also led me to the BattleAxe. I should be able to whip something up.
And now I'm off to look at Rifleman builds....

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #19 on: 21 October 2017, 14:41:30 »
Can't get used to PDFs for gaming. Which is weird as I am fine with them for other things.
As a plan B, I've emailed Catalyst asking do they give permission to print off a copy of a pdf for personal use. If they are cool with that, problem solved.

After that it's either improve my German, or get used to gaming with pdfs.

Thanks for the Hammerhands tip, which also led me to the BattleAxe. I should be able to whip something up.
And now I'm off to look at Rifleman builds....

You can print it for your own use no problems, just can't print and then sell it.  I've got a Postal Annex at my work and they do printing and binding.  Nothing fancy, but I've gotten a few of the PDF only TROs done that way.  Works for my needs and I'm not staring at a computer screen the whole time.

And your welcome.  Happy to help.  Keep the game alive!   8)

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #20 on: 21 October 2017, 21:22:01 »
I've emailed Catalyst asking do they give permission to print off a copy of a pdf for personal use.
Yes, you can.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

blackjack

• When you're a professional pirate ...
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: 22 October 2017, 18:08:31 »
Awesome, just what I wanted to hear, especially the bases.
Too many of the mechs seem too big to be comfortable on the hex bases anyway.
The Loki and Thor from the starter set seem much happier on larger round bases.
Maybe I should print out some maps with larger hexes for normal BattleTech?

Take a look at the battleaxe!!! predecessor to the Warhammer. 

Gallowglacht

• Corporal
« Reply #22 on: 23 October 2017, 11:25:48 »
Wow.

Interstellar is a big book huh? Looks like plenty of meat too.
Oh look, LAM rules and construction, awesome :)
Turns out I don't need Strategic if I have Alpha Strike(as far as SBF goes), nice.
Even with a bunch of stuff referring back to TechManual, TacOps and StratOp(which I don't have), there is a mountain of stuff for me to absorb.

Once the kids are in bed, I can't wait to dive in.
Great looking books too.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #23 on: 24 October 2017, 12:47:58 »
These two books couldn't be more different from each other.

Alpha Strike: Let's play a battalion sized battletech game in an hour!
Interstellar Operations: Let's calculate the kilogram carrying capacity and dimensions of an Atlas glove compartment!
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Gallowglacht

• Corporal
« Reply #24 on: 24 October 2017, 14:54:26 »
These two books couldn't be more different from each other.

Alpha Strike: Let's play a battalion sized battletech game in an hour!
Interstellar Operations: Let's calculate the kilogram carrying capacity and dimensions of an Atlas glove compartment!

Counterpoint, they both have Mechs on the cover. And Mechs are inherently awesome.

And I have to admit, although I have the books for gaming, if past experience with stuff like the Traveller RPG, I'll probably spend more time on the "calculate the kilogram carrying capacity and dimensions of an Atlas glove compartment" stuff than actually gaming. :)

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #25 on: 24 October 2017, 15:08:17 »
I always look at the inner sphere at war rules and dream.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Register