Author Topic: Word of Blake Level IIs...  (Read 11440 times)

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
Re: Word of Blake Level IIs...
« Reply #30 on: 30 October 2017, 07:07:29 »
Right, but using the MUL, if you look at the Alpha Strike card it shows IT12.  So 12 tons of transport space. Is that wrong?

Nope, that is Correct.

The Maxim has IT12, while the Achileus has a CAR value of 6. Make sure you use:

not

(All the BA have separate cards for Inner Sphere versions [default group of 4], Clan versions [group of 5] and Comstar/WoB [group of 6])
« Last Edit: 30 October 2017, 07:18:58 by NeonKnight »
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #31 on: 30 October 2017, 07:18:20 »
Eh, while technically correct in that a Level I of infantry and its transport would be 2 Level Is, I've never seen it be ground breaking by combining them both into a single Level I.

I'd point out that if you didn't, and you were making a force based on the Division numbers from the ComStar Sourcebook and other sources, then if you did want to give your infantry transports, you'd wind up wasting pretty much your entire armor selections on transports. The Infantry to Vehicle ratio in Divisions is pretty much 2:1 so even if your transports are carrying two Infantry units each, that's your entire complement of Conventional Vehicles. If you want to actually have regular, non-transport Conventional Vehicles, you have to carry more than 2 units per transport, and that gets tough.

Giving them a bit of flexibility is hardly going to destroy things.

And while I would agree with you to a lesser extant, I would have a hard time agreeing that granting 'free transport' is not going to destroy things. As I stated above, where would one limit the gifting?

Remember at an ALPHA Level III only has 9 infantry Level I's (be they conventional infantry or BA), while the Omega has the most at 108 Infantry Level I's and 54 Armor/Vehicles.

Of course at the end of the day, what one chooses to play at their own tables will never be wrong, but at the moment, there is no rules I am aware of that 'gifts' free APC's for BA for WoB (or clan or IS).

Armond

• Sergeant
« Reply #32 on: 30 October 2017, 07:35:13 »
Ok, so onto ASFs.
Was thinking 2x Rievers, 2x Hammerheads, and 2x Shivas.  Thoughts?

Also, would you count a Level II Command against your designated 6 allowed Level IIs in a Level III formation?  Or would the Command be a bit on the outside, like an addon?

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #33 on: 30 October 2017, 07:53:42 »
Ok, so onto ASFs.
Was thinking 2x Rievers, 2x Hammerheads, and 2x Shivas.  Thoughts?

Also, would you count a Level II Command against your designated 6 allowed Level IIs in a Level III formation?  Or would the Command be a bit on the outside, like an addon?

As to Aerospace...Rievers are in the WoB Accessability, especially the Riever F-700a and the Riever F-700b. The Hammerhead HMR-HF is exclusively WoB, and the Shiva SHV-OC is a FWL/WoB exclusive.

To see if a unit is available to a particular faction (outside of Salvage) on the MUL click on the Faction Availability links on the right side of the unit you are looking at.

Example:

http://masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/5055/shiva-shv-oc

On the right for JIHAD, clicking it expands the Jihad to show Free World league and WoB as Faction Available.

As to a Command Level, that one is a little tougher to answer...I have not seen anything that points one way or the other, so, on that front, your guess is as a good as mine.

Armond

• Sergeant
« Reply #34 on: 30 October 2017, 07:57:53 »
Ya, i used the MUL for all my choices, which is how I got those three.  But just trying to get a good opinion on those particular ones.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #35 on: 30 October 2017, 08:03:41 »
Ya, i used the MUL for all my choices, which is how I got those three.  But just trying to get a good opinion on those particular ones.

Ahhh...on that front...all I can say is...sure, the look ok. While I play a bunch I don't have an opinion of any unit over any other. I just like to paint/collect and play. for my WoB Militia...I currently don't have any Aero, and for the Shadow Division, just 3 Shade S-HA-O Invictus.  :-\

Armond

• Sergeant
« Reply #36 on: 30 October 2017, 08:49:33 »
So, with BA, if I have an Owens or an Acatar(both are Omni), how many BA can grab onto it, I believe the Longinus can ride on Omnis.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #37 on: 30 October 2017, 09:11:32 »
So, with BA, if I have an Owens or an Acatar(both are Omni), how many BA can grab onto it, I believe the Longinus can ride on Omnis.

same as any other Omni, 1 unit of BA:

Page 227 of TOTAL WARFARE:

Occupied Locations on OmniMechs and OmniVehicles
A six-trooper unit occupies all torso locations (front and back) of an OmniMech. A five-trooper unit occupies all torso locations except the front center torso, while a four-trooper unit occupies the front and back side torsos, leaving the front and back center torso free. A six-trooper unit places two troopers on each of the left, right and rear locations, while a five trooper unit places two troopers on the left and right sides and a single trooper on the rear. A four-trooper unit places two troopers on the left and right sides (see the Battle Armor Transport Position Table, p. 227).

Armond

• Sergeant
« Reply #38 on: 30 October 2017, 18:33:26 »
Ah cool, wasn't sure if the limit was 5. 

WIP below...  Going to edit later.

Command Level II:
Partisan Air Defense Tank @35pts Sniper Size 4(C3M)
Avatar-OC (C3M) @41pts Sniper Size 3 (C3M)
Catapult-C3 @39pts Missile Boat Size 3
6x Achileus @9pts Ambusher Size 1(Laser)
Shiva-OA @38pts Attack Size 3

Infantry Level II:
Maxim Heavy Hover Transport @24pts Size 2
6x Longinus BA @12pts Ambusher Size 1
Jump Infantry (Lvl I) @11pts Ambusher Size 1

Vehicle Level II:
Cavalry Attack Helicopter @16pts Striker Size 1

Catapult-C3
Owens-1 @29pts Missile Boat Size 1(Omni/C3S)

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #39 on: 30 October 2017, 18:41:25 »
Ah cool, wasn't sure if the limit was 5. 

WIP below...  Going to edit later.

Command Level II:
Partisan Air Defense Tank @35pts Sniper Size 4(C3M)
Avatar-OC (C3M) @41pts Sniper Size 3 (C3M)
Catapult-C3 @39pts Missile Boat Size 3
6x Achileus @9pts Ambusher Size 1(Laser)

Infantry Level II:

Vehicle Level II:

Catapult-C3
Owens-1 @29pts Missile Boat Size 1(Omni/C3S)

Just so you know, you don't need to put 6x for the BA, just list it as a Level I BA, otherwise someone may mistake you and think you actually have 6 Level I's ;)

Also, I don't think they combine the Aero with the units for the Level II's, keeping them 'mech/Armor/Infantry.

I'll check my books.

**UPDATE**

It does appear based on the info I can find, that one could have a combined-arms Level II with 'Mech-Aero-Vehicle-Infantry but seeing as most people don't play Aero on the table (the rules are complex and speeds often mean needing a LARGE playspace most simply forego Aero), as a result I keep aero out of my Level IIs and have them make up their own seperate Level IIs.
« Last Edit: 30 October 2017, 18:47:58 by NeonKnight »

Armond

• Sergeant
« Reply #40 on: 30 October 2017, 21:21:48 »
Sound advice. Leaves space to put my Command Level II in as a combined-arms formation. 

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
« Reply #41 on: 31 October 2017, 00:15:32 »
I like the Radar Map sheet myself when I use Aero for ground engagements...

Armond

• Sergeant
« Reply #42 on: 31 October 2017, 01:32:26 »
Here we go!!!

Ok, a more fleshed out Level III out of Omicron Division(Lvl IV) from the Clan Invasion Era.

Level II, Command
Grand Crusader-01 @46pts Missile Boat Size 4
Emperor-6A @45pts Juggernaut Size 4
Exterminator-4D@35pts Skirmisher/Size 3
Raijin-101-A@28pts Striker/Size 2
Nexus-1-A@16pts Striker/Size 1
Falcon Hawk-NK1B@29pts Brawler/Size 1

Level II, Heavy Battlemech
Bandersnatch-01A@37pts Brawler/Size 3
Thunderbolt-7M@39pts Brawler/Size 3
Warhammer-7M@35pts Brawler/Size 3
Champion-3P @37pts Skirmisher Size 3
HuronWarrior-R4L@33pts Skirmisher/Size 2
Crab-30 @33pts Sniper/Size 2

Level II, Light Striker
Grim Reaper-29@34pts Skirmisher/Size 2
Firefly-4C@22pts Striker/Size 1
Stinger-3GB@16pts Striker/Size 1
Thorn-N1 @13pts Sniper Size 1

Level II, Light Cavalry
Cavalry Helicopter@16pts Striker/Size 1
Galleon-102@23pts Striker/Size 1
Drillson Heavy Hover@21pts Striker/Size 2

Level II, Infantry Support Alpha
Maxim Transport@24pts Striker/Size 2
Longinus BA@12pts Ambusher/Size 1

Level II, Infantry Support Bravo
H. Hover APC (Standard)@8pts Scout/Size 1
Achileus BA (LTAG)@8pts Ambusher/Size 1
Jump Inf. (SRM) @11pts Ambusher/Size 1

Level II, Support
Alacorn Mk VI @39pts Sniper/Size 4
Catapult-C3@39pts Missile Boat/Size 3
Owens-1@29pts Missile Boat/Size 1
Achileus BA (LTAG)@8pts Ambusher/Size1
Achileus BA (Laser)@9pts Ambusher/Size1
So, thoughts and recommendations?

Edited with the idea of having the Command Level II be separate.  My thinking is that there is a dedicated Level II made up entirely of Commands that falls under a Level IV/Division just to be assigned to each Level II.  Either way, I feel like it is a decent build, kind of obviously SL/WoB(especially WoB with the BA).
« Last Edit: 01 November 2017, 17:21:35 by Armond »

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #43 on: 02 November 2017, 22:58:39 »
Now, does a Command Level II count towards the 6 Level IIs to create a Level III?  If it doesn't then I have room for another Level II...
It does,  36 total units.   Command is included in there.

Eh, while technically correct in that a Level I of infantry and its transport would be 2 Level Is, I've never seen it be ground breaking by combining them both into a single Level I

The best compromise I've ever seen suggested is to allow APC's  (And ONLY APCs) count as part of the Infantry section for your allotted amounts.
That way the few vehicles in each division stay as true combat vehicles.

So a Level-2 of all infantry could be 3 "L1's" + 3 "APCs" and count as 6 "Infantry" v/s being 3 Infantry & 3 Vehicles.

The question then comes down to what is an APC v/s IFV.

I see 2 options.

1.  It must be a true generic APC v/s some named unit, so Heavy Hover APC = good,  Maxim = BAD

2.  The 2nd is a bit more fiddly, like X% of vehicle in "Cargo/Infantry" where X is 10-25%.
So the basic Heavy APC line at 6/20 tons counts, even the "Infantry" Maxim at 12/50 would count.
  But not the 3/50 versions with more firepower than troops.
Another option might be to simply say an "APC" must not be able to trigger a PSR, so 19 or less total damage.
Finally it could be a combo of both.  10% Cargo & less than 10 damage = "APC".... anything else is an IFV & counts in the "Vehicle" column.

I like this particular compromise as it allows your infantry to be more mobile w/o beefing up the size of the division to over 216 units.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #44 on: 03 November 2017, 01:25:47 »
Sorry I'm late - work now blocks the site  :( >:(

I got an unofficial word of advice from Herb Beas when he was the Line Dev - in short, if the APC is 'inoffensive', then don't count it as part of the LII. If the APC is battle-worthy in itself, then it counts.

So for example, 6 Achileus LIs in 6 Hover APCs is a LII. Four Shedu in two Maxim(I)s are a Level II. Two Bollas with four Se'irim LIs (each has one in, one out) is a LII.

Rough rule of thumb: if it has (in AS terms) more than 1 attack at short range, or 0* at medium or long, it's "offensive".

Side note - we're unlikely to ever see Combat Manual: Word of Blake, so I've come up with my own way of building AS forces. Short form: if a BA or Infantry LI has a dedicated assigned carrier, you can sub a carrier's stats to 'sub' for the LI's limit. So (for example) the aforementioned LI of Achileus with hover APCs can be a Light Recon LII. Purifiers in Magi UCSV can count as having 10" move. Und so weiter.

Hope that makes sense,

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #45 on: 03 November 2017, 01:31:22 »
Sorry I'm late - work now blocks the site  :( >:(

I got an unofficial word of advice from Herb Beas when he was the Line Dev - in short, if the APC is 'inoffensive', then don't count it as part of the LII. If the APC is battle-worthy in itself, then it counts.

So for example, 6 Achileus LIs in 6 Hover APCs is a LII. Four Shedu in two Maxim(I)s are a Level II. Two Bollas with four Se'irim LIs (each has one in, one out) is a LII.

Rough rule of thumb: if it has (in AS terms) more than 1 attack at short range, or 0* at medium or long, it's "offensive".

Side note - we're unlikely to ever see Combat Manual: Word of Blake, so I've come up with my own way of building AS forces. Short form: if a BA or Infantry LI has a dedicated assigned carrier, you can sub a carrier's stats to 'sub' for the LI's limit. So (for example) the aforementioned LI of Achileus with hover APCs can be a Light Recon LII. Purifiers in Magi UCSV can count as having 10" move. Und so weiter.

Hope that makes sense,

W.

So, in other words

THIS is OK:

http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/1435/heavy-hover-apc-standard

This is not OK:

http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/1432/heavy-hover-apc-mg

I believe that is what you mean?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #46 on: 03 November 2017, 01:38:49 »
No, the MG version has only one damage at SR - 1/0/0. More than 1 at SR, more than 0* at MR or LR, that's my version.

The LRM version is also OK - 1/0*/0*

The SRM version isn't OK by that interpretation - 1/1/0. And the Scout version is not OK, because it doesn't have any IT ;)

Like I said, it's a rule of thumb. If you chose to put each half of a LI of infantry (remember, two 18-man units on the map) into a hover APC each, I'd call that one "unit" for unit building. Herb's Rule #1 applies - "whatever works on your table" O0
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #47 on: 03 November 2017, 01:56:50 »
No, the MG version has only one damage at SR - 1/0/0. More than 1 at SR, more than 0* at MR or LR, that's my version.

The LRM version is also OK - 1/0*/0*

The SRM version isn't OK by that interpretation - 1/1/0. And the Scout version is not OK, because it doesn't have any IT ;)

Like I said, it's a rule of thumb. If you chose to put each half of a LI of infantry (remember, two 18-man units on the map) into a hover APC each, I'd call that one "unit" for unit building. Herb's Rule #1 applies - "whatever works on your table" O0

Yep makes sense then. About what I thought....and I too am saddened we will never see a WoB Combat Manual.

If any faction needs one it's them (and COMSTAR) because of their "We like to Mix things Up!" Kinda hard to get a Striker Lance/Level II when the Infantry don't have a Move 10" or 8"J :(

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #48 on: 03 November 2017, 01:59:32 »
Exactly the problem I faced with my [urlhttp://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56122.msg1290253#msg1290253]LoM Level III[/url]. Can't help it, gotta build the minis ...

Armond

• Sergeant
« Reply #49 on: 03 November 2017, 03:56:12 »
With the recommended information on APCs for Infantry Level IIs!  You guys rock with all this info!!!

Ok, a more fleshed out Level III out of Omicron Division(Lvl IV) from the Clan Invasion Era.

Level II, Command
Grand Crusader-01 @46pts Missile Boat Size 4
Emperor-6A @45pts Juggernaut Size 4
Exterminator-4D@35pts Skirmisher/Size 3
*Some typical WoB variants, and the Avatar in there for its Omni.  Why?  So he can carry some BA found in the Infantry Level IIs if need be.

Level II, Heavy Battle 'Mech
Bandersnatch-01A@37pts Brawler/Size 3
Warhammer-7M@35pts Brawler/Size 3
Champion-3P @37pts Skirmisher Size 3
Catapult-C3@39pts Missile Boat/Size 3
HuronWarrior-R4L@33pts Skirmisher/Size 2
Crab-30 @33pts Sniper/Size 2
*This Heavy Level II composed of mechs is a nice little mixture.  I figure they fit the role and invoke some sense of WoB/COMSTAR nostalgia.

Level II, Light Striker
Firestarter-9-0 @29pts Striker/Size 2
Grim Reaper-29@34pts Skirmisher/Size 2
Firefly-4C@22pts Striker/Size 1
Falcon Hawk-9K1B@29pts Brawler/Size 1
Owens-1@29pts Missile Boat/Size 1
*More WoB fun here and two Omnimechs for more BA movement/transport if situation calls/warrants it.  All of these are 10" or more movement as required and some have some nice jump capabilities. 

Level II, Light Cavalry
*Semi-fast versions of 3 types; tracked, hover, and VTOLs.  Figure they can zip around and lend some help across the boards.

Level II, Infantry Support Alpha
*Dropping BA everywhere, each Maxim can carry 2x Level I BA.  Also because the Maxims have a pretty decent attack value they can support after and during drops.

Level II, Infantry Support Bravo
Achileus BA (LTAG)@8pts Ambusher/Size 1
Achileus BA (LTAG)@8pts Ambusher/Size1
Achileus BA (Laser)@9pts Ambusher/Size1
*Every Jump Infantry Level I has a Hover Transport.  The BA in this unit are there to jump on Omnimechs found in the Command Level II.  Two LTAG versions give the Catapult-C3 a nice aid for its Arrow IV.

So, thoughts and recommendations?

Edited with the idea of having the Support Level II removed.  Hopefully this makes more sense based on the advice from all you wonderful people!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #50 on: 03 November 2017, 13:29:32 »
There's no armour!

I love mixing armour and 'Mechs into my Level IIs. But then, I'm wierd ;)

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #51 on: 03 November 2017, 13:55:43 »
Also keep in mind that Strategic Ops (IIRC) added in the option of having "Overstrength" Level IIIs. So you could add another Level II to it, and that would be fine. Its really up to you on alot of things in BT.

qc mech3

• Lieutenant
  • Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays. C'est l'hiver.
« Reply #52 on: 04 November 2017, 08:33:24 »
Your level IV is really missing air-cover. That's why I prefer to have a level II of aero in every Level III.

Even if the listing in the FM is crappy (39 aero ?!?), to have 6 lvl IIs or a pure lvl III of death in the air is always good  #P

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #53 on: 04 November 2017, 18:07:04 »
Also keep in mind that Strategic Ops (IIRC) added in the option of having "Overstrength" Level IIIs. So you could add another Level II to it, and that would be fine. Its really up to you on alot of things in BT.

On what page did you find that?

Armond

• Sergeant
« Reply #54 on: 04 November 2017, 19:05:02 »
Your level IV is really missing air-cover. That's why I prefer to have a level II of aero in every Level III.

Even if the listing in the FM is crappy (39 aero ?!?), to have 6 lvl IIs or a pure lvl III of death in the air is always good  #P

This is not a Level IV, it is a Level III FROM Omicron Division(a Level IV).  But no one in my groups plays Aero right now, so I am forgoing it, some other Level III will double up on their Aero-force as it fits their mission better.

I am considering changing my Cav Level II to be something a little more armor based.  Not sure yet.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #55 on: 04 November 2017, 19:15:30 »
On what page did you find that?

Page 301 of Strat Ops in the Advanced Force Distribution Table.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #56 on: 04 November 2017, 23:16:21 »

While I like the ideas above, having a pair of Heavy Hover APC (LRM) assigned to move my 36 foot infantry and still call that a single Level-1 seems a tad bit excessive.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

ocherstone

• Sergeant
« Reply #57 on: 04 November 2017, 23:42:59 »
Level IIs are varied.  My rules for ComStar forces:  Aerospace are always paired, and non-combat vehicles don't count against the unit count.  This gets to a mounted vs mechanized difference.  I came up with this after going through whatever lists I could.  The sourcebooks do not agree with eachother (Fall of Terra is completely FUBAR), so I made some executive decisions.  It's worked well for me.

edit: I used an old version.  I'm always tweaking.  Note, this is for Level IIs.  Level IIIs should be pretty close to the ratios in FM:CS.

Alpha through Zeta Level IIs contain decreasing numbers of ‘Mechs while increasing number of vehicles.  These Level IIs are routinely used in offensive missions, usually with the vehicle and ‘Mech weights, armaments and/or speeds complementing each other.
Alpha- 6M
Beta-5M1V
Gamma- 4M2V
Delta- 3M3V
Epsilon- 2M4V
Zeta 1M5V

Eta is the standard designation for Infantry-light combined arms Level IIs.  The infantry is APC or IFV mounted to keep up with the combat machines.  Eta Level IIs have increased in number with the proliferation of Battle Armor, which increases the lethality of the unit.
Eta - 4M1V1I 3M2V1I

Low numbers of BattleMechs in Theta deceive many, but ComStar’s backbone is combined arms, and Theta is the most publicly visible Level II designation.   With enough vehicles to mount all infantry, Thetas are the workhorse of any ComStar division, and are usually enough to respond to most situations.
Theta – 2M3V1I 1M4V1I

Iota Level IIs are the preferred garrison Level IIs for HPGs on planets that have a high chance of ‘Mech combat.  The weights of Iota-IIs machines tend to be heavy and/or slower speed to better support the anti-‘Mech trained infantry which are often motorized or mechanized for fierce urban combat. 
Iota - 5M1I 4M2I 3M1V2I

Kappa-IIs are the lowest Demi-Company designation that include the IFV and APC mounted infantry.  Kappa-IIs are usually light weight raiding teams, and contain fast ‘Mechs and VTOL or hovercraft.  Their infantry Level Is historically have not seen heavy combat, though the increased availability in Battle Armor has increased the offensive capability of Kappa-IIs.
Kappa- 2M2V2I 1M3V2I

Lambda Level IIs are all-vehicle Level IIs.  Their missions vary as much as BattleMech Alpha-IIs.  They support Alpha-IIs as easily and have as varied a combat profile as their ‘Mech brothers.
Lambda- 6V

Mu-IIs lack the IFV vehicle support or APCs to move their infantry components quickly, and so rely on personal vehicle support. Hover mechanized or jump infantry dominate, and wheeled field-artillery pieces are common.  The Battle of Tuakkyyid saw many Mu-IIs be dismissed by the Clans, and concluded with Mus claiming many of the battle’s highest kill/loss ratios in the early days of the campaign.  When overrun in the final days, though, Mu-IIs took higher than average casualties, and many Mus were disbanded.
Mu - 2M4I 1M1V4I 2V4I

The Nu-II is the preferred deployment to hotspots that do not require or cannot sustain ‘Mech deployment.  Often, the vehicles are VTOL or hovertank equipped, but heavy urban vehicle Nus are common.  On many backwater B-level HPG planets they are the only offensively capable Level IIs.  Most non-MechWarrior Precentors are Nu designated. Nu-II urban and defensive abilities are noteworthy, while they lack some of the raw offensive power of the higher Level IIs, due to the lack of ‘Mechs. 
Nu- 5V1I 4V2I 3V3I

Xi is the first of Aerospace and vehicle or ‘Mech integrated Level IIs.  The Aerospace fighters support offensive operations of the 4 ground-combat elements and are usually light weight, but heavy or assault Xi-IIs are not unknown.
Xi - 4M2A 3M1V2A 2M2V2A 1M3V2A 4V2A

Omicron-IIs are a catchall for Level IIs than claim an aerospace lance and at least 1 infantry Level I.  Omicron-IIs are usually found alongside Eta, Nu, and Xi Level IIs.  Light ‘Mechs and vehicles predominate, and Omicron-II infantry are usually used as spotters for artillery equipped Level IIs, but Omicron-II machines can direct close air support of their heavy Aerospace fighters.
Omicron-   3M2A1I 3V2A1I 2M2A2I 2M1V2A1I 1M2V2A1I 2V2A2I 1M1V2A2I 1M2A3I 1V2A3I   

The all-aerospace Pi-IIs are rarer in planet-bound Level IIIs, but are commonly found defending interstellar traffic and the Order’s spaceships.  The lack of “boots-on-the-ground“ integration hampers their use in ground combat, but the arrival of Pi-IIs has ended many planetary assaults before they began as they swat enemy DropShips from the sky.
Pi 6A

All infantry Rho-IIs are varied in their composition, but are normally support for heavier combat machine possessing Level IIs.  Rho IIs are the least offensively capable pure-Level IIs, and do not fire their weapons in anger for most of their existence.  Their presence on many worlds goes unnoticed, and many support personnel are grouped into Rho-IIs for administrative use.
Rho- 6I

Sigma-IIs differ from Iotas and Kappas with the higher number of infantry, and perform similar defensive missions, though they require near-static positions as the lack of quick infantry transports limits their movement and offensive capability.  Many Sigma-IIs have high numbers of jump infantry to offset their slow speed.
Sigma - 3M3I 2M1V3I 1M2V3I

Tau IIs lack IFV support for their mechanized or foot infantry and thus are garrison Levels IIs for low priority or mostly barren worlds that still see occasional bandit raids and require an attacker to invade a limited area.   Most urban-combat Level IIs are Tau designated, as well as field-artillery IIs.
Tau – 1M5I 1V5I

Aerospace-heavy Upsilon-IIs perform defensive missions on planets that require a large Aerospace presence.   They vary in size and speed, but have occasionally been used as support for offensive campaigns and defenders for many planets.
Upsilon 2M4A 1M1V4A 2V4A

Phi-IIs are similar to Upsilon-IIs, but contain an infantry component.  The BattleMech and infantry pairing have limited offensive capability, though Phi-IIs are often found as a newly promoted MechWarrior Precentor’s command/honor guard Level II.  The high numbers of Aerospace fighters are usually heavy machines.
Phi 1M4A1I

Chi and Psi Level IIs are the preferred Space/Marine Level IIs.  Chi and Psi Level IIs train in capturing enemy DropShips, JumpShips and Space Stations, and are elite defenders of the Order’s space-bound ships.  Psi-IIs are found as command units on many HPG A worlds, and those with large black-navy forces.
Chi 4A2I
Psi 2A4I

Omega-IIs are normally used in clandestine, high-risk or ROM sanctioned missions behind enemy lines.  Omega-IIs usually contain the fastest vehicles available to the ComGuards (with advanced electronics) and high-flying light fighters with spying capabilities.  The ability to quickly insert and extract the forward infantry elements necessitates VTOL or quick hovercraft.
Omega 1V4A1I
« Last Edit: 05 November 2017, 12:37:44 by ocherstone »

Armond

• Sergeant
« Reply #58 on: 05 November 2017, 05:07:53 »
That's a very nice bit of home brew there!  By your reckoning I would be sitting at a Theta Level III; 3M1V2I. But the ETA's explanation fits better, especially with the BA tie I .

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #59 on: 11 November 2017, 23:04:38 »
I made this pretty much a few years ago, and have since released it for public use. Like I said there, PM me if you need any more info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=57366.0

Enjoy!
TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016