Author Topic: Support Lance and Battle Lance interaction  (Read 2533 times)

CJKeys

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • Defend this house!
Support Lance and Battle Lance interaction
« on: 05 November 2017, 00:49:14 »
To keep this short, if you have a Support lance and a Battle Lance, the way Support Lance's ability reads it doesn't get any benefit, aside from being called a support lance. Am I right?
"Now sit down, shut up, and let us Davions do what we do best: kill people we think aren't free enough." - Reaver

Son of Kerenski

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Everything is AWESOME.
Re: Support Lance and Battle Lance interaction
« Reply #1 on: 07 November 2017, 02:32:05 »
This is from the PDF I have:

BATTLE LANCE:
"The Battle Lance formation receives the equivalent of a 6-point Lucky Special Pilot Ability (see p. 54), except that it is useable by any unit in the Battle Lance, rather than limited to any single unit. This formation ability need not be assigned to specific units, and may thus be called upon after a failed attack or Control roll desired (to a maximum of 6 times for the entire formation). As with the normal Lucky SPA, only one reroll per failed attack or Control roll is possible."

SUPPORT LANCE
"Before the start of play, each Support Lance must designate one other formation type in its army to support. For every 2 units in the supported formation that make use of a formation-provided bonus ability, 1 unit in its Support Lance receives the same ability. This bonus ability is retained as long as the Support Lance still has three or more active units on the field; they are not lost if the supported lance is reduced below its own ability to retain the bonus ability. If the Support Lance is supporting a Command Lance, it receives the two SPAs assigned to the Command Lance’s noncommander units, assigning one SPA each to any appropriate Support Lance unit. However, the Support Lance does not receive the commander’s Tactical Genius Special Pilot Ability."

With that in mind, Im thinking the Support Lance also gets at least 2 Luck points. Because all 4 units are able to draw upon the SPA of the Battle Lance. But they might also get the whole 6 points. It would be odd for them to recieve nothing...if that was the case, youd be better off chosing another formation type to support.

But I too would like to know the answer to this question...
« Last Edit: 07 November 2017, 02:34:05 by Son of Kerenski »

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Last Edit: 07 November 2017, 03:17:04 by NeonKnight »
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Son of Kerenski

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Everything is AWESOME.
« Reply #3 on: 07 November 2017, 18:52:20 »
Awesome. Thanks for that!

Just as a further question in regards to the Support Lance having the same ability as a Fire Lance:

If I have a Fire Lance and all 4 mechs of that FL can use the Sniper ability, does the Support Lance get to have 2 units that can also use the Sniper ability?

GoldBishop

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 08 November 2017, 09:55:03 »
The Fire Lance's "pool" is 2.  [I call it "Rotate: 2" meaning any member can pass on the SPA to the other (if its shutdown, out of range, or outside LoS, for instance)]
[Same goes for Assault Lance, which also has a numerical limit of "2"]

Since "up to 2" members receive the 1 special ability based on its type (Sniper, Oblique, etc), if you're following the "half" rule (like the Battle Lance), it should just be 1 for the Support Lance.
"Watch the man-made-lightning fly!"  -RaiderRed

Son of Kerenski

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Everything is AWESOME.
« Reply #5 on: 08 November 2017, 21:02:02 »
I did expect it was going to be only 1 but thanks for clarifying.

CJKeys

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • Defend this house!
"Now sit down, shut up, and let us Davions do what we do best: kill people we think aren't free enough." - Reaver