Author Topic: Design Challenge #2 - BFG  (Read 4528 times)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Re: Design Challenge #2 - BFG
« Reply #30 on: 03 December 2017, 01:51:42 »
Hehe, suddenly had a perverse idea...

Designed as a testbed for certain highly classified and possibly illegal technologies, the lead engineer (of combine descent) could never figure out why the other engineers kept giggling.

Hekireki Ondori
 Mixed (Base IS)
20 tons 
BV: 2,098
Cost: 7,488,240 C-bills

Movement: 9/14
Engine: 180 XXL
Heat Sinks: 10 [20]
Cockpit: Interface Cockpit
Gyro: None

Internal: 33 (Endo-Steel)
Armor: 67/69 (Ferro-Fibrous)
                     Internal    Armor
--------------------------------------
Head                        3        8
Center Torso                6        8
Center Torso (rear)                  3
Right Torso                 5        8
Right Torso (rear)                   2
Left Torso                  5        8
Left Torso (rear)                    2
Right Arm                   3        6
Left Arm                    3        6
Right Leg                   4        8
Left Leg                    4        8

Weapon                         Loc  Heat
----------------------------------------
RISC Hyper Laser                RA    24

Equipment                      Loc
----------------------------------
CASE II                         RA
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: 08 December 2017, 17:21:02 »
Before we start, a reminder to everyone - I will only judge the first entry you make. Additional entries are welcome(and, in cases like the 2x BFG Urbie, kind of amusing), but they won't be part of the contest. (Also, sorry about the delay - I'm a bit under the weather this week)

Andras: Locust LCT-HPP - 20t, 8/12/0, 53 armour, 20 HS, HPPC (50%)
   The biggest friendly gun(yes, that's what BFG stands for, why do you ask?) in the whole contest by mech weight, and it's in a chassis that can run circles around most things. For a long-range mech that usually means kiting, which can be awkward if you're trying to run away and still fire with a front-torso-mounted weapon. I might want to see an arm-mounted weapon here instead, for the improved firing arc. Still, this would aggaravate a lot of opponents nicely.

Sharpnel: Kyudo KY2-D-03G - 45t, 6/9/6, 152 armour, 11 HS, XLRM-15(3t) (33%)
   Speaking of aggravating opponents, we have this gem. With this combination of range and mobility, you almost don't need to worry about enemy fire, which makes it closer to being artillery than a traditional mech in some ways.

Maingunery: Moblas - 15t, 3/5/0, 55 armour, 10 HS, LL (33%)
   I know 3025 tech is limited in many ways, but a mech this small and slow is a bit of a deathtrap. I feel like this is a proto-protomech or something - the idea is nifty, but in 3025 it's just not very practical.

Nightsong: Harrier HRR-1X - 30t, 7/11/7, 101 armour, 20 HS, HPPC w/Cap (37%)
   Similar to the Locust above - the extra 10 tons gets you a bunch of armour and a PPC capacitor, but it costs twice as much. I feel like this wants to be a rich nation's version, while the Locust is what the Periphery would use instead, but that makes the small cockpit a bit tough to justify. I did like the fluff on this one.

Daryk: STS-1 - 75t, 4/6/0, 168 armour, 17 HS, Long Tom Cannon(5t) (33%)
   More thump than a Thumper, this one can theoretically hit harder with its BFG than any other mech here(though it'll take a very silly opponent to let you do better than the Hollander). I do like the LTC, but even in 3025 that's a bit light on armament for a 75 ton mech, and 25 shots is more than you really want for a gun this size(though if it could use advanced arty rounds, I'd be a lot more keen on that). This might have been better as a slightly smaller mech, because I don't think the last 5-10 tons get you very much value.

casperionx: BFG BFG-A - 50t, 5/8/0, 161 armour, 20 HS, IHGR(3t), ERML (46%)
   A medium biped with a HGR is going to be eating a lot of dirt. I like the design otherwise, but this needs a piloting god at the helm to be functional - otherwise, it should be a quad like the Thunderlion below. As a one-off Solaris mech or something I could dig it, but this is not fit for mass production. (Advice for future submissions: If you know that you have an issue like this with your mech, consider fluff to patch the gaps. I'm much kinder on flaws if you can explain why they're there in a plausible way)

Speedbump: Panther PNT-10M - 35t, 4/6/4, 104 armour, 10 HS, LGR(2t), ERML (40%)
   I tend to be a bit of a LGR skeptic - it's really heavy for its damage output, and the added range isn't enough to make up for it in most cases. Still, in a light mech fight 8 damage is a useful number, and if it's facing heavies or assaults, it has enough mobility to kite them and can usually manage to stay out of range, and it has the ammo for a long drawn-out fight like that. I'm not totally keen on it, but I can see it.

DarthMetool: Blazer BLZ-3 - 25t, 6/9/0, 89 armour, 20 HS, Blazer, C3 Slave, AES (36%)
   Blazers have a place, but by the time you're mounting AES and a C3, that time has passed. A HPPC is a better weapon in almost every way, and I'm not sure why anyone would build this when they're in the 3070s.

Maingunnery: Hollander IIC - 50t, 5/8/0, 153 armour, 20 HS, HAG-40(6t) (44%)
   From looking up canon Hollanders, the Hollander II should be 45 tons, not 50. A minor sin, but worth noting. Otherwise, a pretty practical Mech - it'll leave a bigger hole in its target than any other BFG, and the chassis is practical for most purposes, with enough ammo for a long fight. Good all-around mech.

Sabelkatten: Thunderlion LI-9G - 45t, 6/9/0 quad, 112 armour, 20 HS, HGR(3t), ERML (47%)
   Unlike the BFG above, the choice of a quad chassis to handle the PSRs caused by a HGR will make this a lot more practical. It's fast enough to get into optimal HGR range against most opponents, and the ERML pairs decently with the range brackets on the HGR. A bit light on armour, but its mobility should keep it alive for a while.

Empyrus: BLHK - 25t, 6/12/0 supercharger, 89 armour, 20 HS, Blazer, AES, LAMS (36%)
   Like the above Blazer mech, this feels out of place to me. I know people like Blazers and that they're interesting, but I don't think these designs really make much sense. Make this a 3039-era mech - you can get your DHS and your endo steel to make it functional, without it being totally obsolete.

fallen: Raptor RTX1-Q - 25t, 7/11/0, 56 armour, 20 HS, LB-5X(2t), 3x ERSL (40%)
   The LB-5X isn't a bad weapon, but the choice of ERSLs as support weapons seems a bit odd. It covers you against point-blank enemies, I guess, but a 7/11 with a 21-hex range on its main gun probably shouldn't be getting that close in the first place. If we're playing with alternate rules that got rid of the min range on the AC I'd like this a lot more, but right now it's very much a testbed.

Caedis Animus: Speed Ronin RX-20 - 20t, 8/16/0 MASC, 64 armour, 20 HS, Large Vibrobalde, ERML (35%)
   If you're going to do the melee weapon thing, do it all-in, and this is all-in. The large vibroblade isn't the best weapon around, but 14 damage in a single hit location for a 20-ton mech is more than it could do in a single block any other way I can think of, and it's not a bad damage output for its size and speed at all. This feels like it's from an anime, but that's not always bad.

Liam's Ghost: Sturmkannon ST-41K - 35t, 6/9/0, 88 stealth armour, 20 HS, Gauss(2t), ECM (49%)
   Okay, this is nice and mean. I was a bit confused at first before I saw the stealth armour, but with that on this makes a ton of sense. It hits hard, stays well back, and can survive very well against enemy snipers. Cool name, too. I like this.

Wildonion: Fujin FJN-1R - 45t, 6/12/6 supercharger, 127 armour, 20 HS, Thunderbolt-15(4t, armoured) (37%)
   I admit, I have not the slightest clue of how the weapon armouring rules work. But setting that aside for a minute, this has the same combination of long range and mobility as a lot of other submissions(because it fits this contest really well, of course). Comparing it to a Gauss, you save two tons for the same amount of ammo(or one ton after the CASE) and gain IDF, but you pay for it by having worse range brackets. Not a terible trade-off, especially if your goal is to stretch out into different weapon systems a bit. Overall, I expect this to be a pretty effective unit.

RevenVrake: The Zapper ZAP-01 - 15t, 12/24/0 supercharger, 55 armour, 20 HS, ERLL (33%)
   I'll admit, the name gave me a chuckle. This is an evil little thing, even with the fractional accounting(actually, that might make it more evil...), and I expect it'd be really effective too. I said above that the Moblas isn't very practical in 3025, but when you upgrade to advanced tech, it gets *very* practical. This is what Protomechs want to be when they grow up.

Results
Again, there were a lot of good entries this time. It's always fun to see what people come up with.

Third Place: Sabelkatten's Thunderlion LI-9G. The HGR is normally an assault mech's close-in weapon because of the PSR, which means it's slow and can't close the range itself. This is a great way to mix that up - going quad lets you put it in a light, fast chassis, where you can get the short-range attacks on your own terms instead of waiting for your opponents to come close. It's an interesting twist.

Second Place: Liam's Ghost's Sturmkannon ST-41K. It's definitely doing the expected thing, but it's doing it very well - this is coherent, well-engineered, and very practical, and it's also got a really huge gun. What's not to love?

First Place: RevenVrake's The Zapper ZAP-01. Much like the winner last time, this is the one that makes me really happy when I think about using it. It's probably not "the best" in an abstract sense - for the money and BV, you can do better - but it's just *fun*.

I'll be posting contest #3 in a moment, so get your thinking caps on.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 08 December 2017, 18:10:35 »
I'll note that i designed my Blazer 'Mech as a Jihad-era WOB-'Mech. They had a fetish for them or something.
Admittedly i probably should've noted that then, but then again, i just threw it together just because so details ended up being left out.

I don't actually like Blazers :P And as you comment on an 3025 design, it is really difficult to make those workable, especially since the contest required rather low weight 'Mechs usually and fitting enough heat sinks on with intro-tech is difficult..

All in all, the limit was pretty interesting certainly.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #33 on: 08 December 2017, 18:19:02 »
I figured my second one wouldn't count, but it was just too ridiculous not to post. Also, I got to name it Clever Rooster/Thundercock (depending on which way you get google translate to abuse it), so I'm happy.

Congratuations to the winner!
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

RevenVrake

• Master Sergeant
  • When in doubt, alpha strike!
« Reply #34 on: 08 December 2017, 21:49:50 »
Huh, thanks.

My method of thinking was "okay, 1/3rd of the mech has to be one gun"
I hadn't read properly the whole 1/3rd had to be weaponry total so I thought keep it simple.

15 tons, large laser...now how can I abuse this?

I feel the cockpit of the Zapper would be a slightly thicker sheet of transplas-steel for a wind-screen, with motorcycle controls and seat on top of the large laser.

Wildonion

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm just a few onions short of a patch.
« Reply #35 on: 09 December 2017, 10:16:44 »
Armored weapons and components get to shrug off critical hits on the location that received the crit, though each slot is only good once. Essentially, I wanted the  design to keep the launcher from failing due to heavy combat or an early lucky crit. That said, armoring components gets heavy!

Ferrosol

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #36 on: 13 December 2017, 08:03:33 »
Code: [Select]
Hunchback-L HBK-L

Mass: 35 tons
Tech Base: Inner Sphere
Chassis Config: Biped
Rules Level: Tournament Legal
Era: Clan Invasion
Tech Rating/Era Availability: E/X-X-E-A
Production Year: 3070
Cost: 5,464,125 C-Bills
Battle Value: 882

Chassis: Unknown Endo-Steel
Power Plant: Unknown 210 Fusion XL Engine
Walking Speed: 64.8 km/h
Maximum Speed: 97.2 km/h
Jump Jets: None
    Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armor: Unknown Ferro-Fibrous
Armament:
    1  LB 20-X AC
Manufacturer: Unknown
    Primary Factory: Unknown
Communications System: Unknown
Targeting and Tracking System: Unknown

================================================================================
Equipment           Type                         Rating                   Mass 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Endo-Steel                    58 points                2.00
    Internal Locations: 2 CT, 2 LT, 2 RT, 4 LA, 2 LL, 2 RL
Engine:             XL Fusion Engine             210                       4.50
    Walking MP: 6
    Running MP: 9
    Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sinks:         Single Heat Sink             10                        0.00
    Heat Sink Locations: 2 LT
Gyro:               Standard                                               3.00
Cockpit:            Standard                                               3.00
    Actuators:      L: SH+UA    R: SH+UA
Armor:              Ferro-Fibrous                AV -  98                  5.50
    Armor Locations: 5 LT, 3 RT, 6 LA

Internal       Armor     
                                                      Structure      Factor     
                                                Head     3            9         
                                        Center Torso     11           13       
                                 Center Torso (rear)                  4         
                                           L/R Torso     8            13       
                                    L/R Torso (rear)                  3         
                                             L/R Arm     6            9         
                                             L/R Leg     8            11       

================================================================================
Equipment                                 Location    Heat    Critical    Mass 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LB 20-X AC                                   RT/RA     6         1/10     14.00
@LB 20-X (Cluster) (10)                      RT        -         2         2.00
@LB 20-X (Slug) (5)                          RT        -         1         1.00
                                            Free Critical Slots: 1

BattleForce Statistics
MV      S (+0)  M (+2)  L (+4)  E (+6)   Wt.   Ov   Armor:      3    Points: 9
6          2       2       0       0      1     0   Structure:  2
Special Abilities: SRCH, ES, SEAL, SOA, FLK 1/1/0

late to the party but ho-ho-ho I have an LBX 20

Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #37 on: 13 December 2017, 10:34:37 »
The Hunchback is designed to be a bodyguard to long-ranged heavier mechs(Archers and Longbows and such), which is why it's so slow. That's not really much of a Hunchback - the speed is unnecessary in that role, and the loss of armour (due to it being a lighter unit) will hurt. That said, aside from the name it looks like fun.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: 13 December 2017, 10:51:50 »
But its not a HBack...
It's more the LB 20 version of the Hollander...

Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #39 on: 13 December 2017, 20:58:20 »
That was a comment on the name, not on the mech ;)

Andras

• Lieutenant
« Reply #40 on: 13 December 2017, 21:36:46 »
I don't think we've done a UAC20 yet.
Hunchback HBK-UAC20

Mass: 50 tons
Production Year: 3060
Cost: 3,962,500 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,314

Power Plant: Unknown 200 Fusion Engine
Walking Speed: 43.2 km/h
Maximum Speed: 64.8 km/h
Armor: Unknown Standard Armor w/ CASE
Armament:
    1  Ultra AC/20
    2  Medium Lasers

Internal Structure: Endo-Steel                    83 points                2.50
    Internal Locations: 1 HD, 2 CT, 1 LT, 2 RT, 2 LA, 2 RA, 2 LL, 2 RL
Engine:             Fusion Engine                200                       8.50
    Walking MP: 4
    Running MP: 6
Heat Sinks:         Double Heat Sink             12(24)                    2.00
    Heat Sink Locations: 2 LT, 1 LA, 1 RA
Gyro:               Standard                                               2.00
    Actuators:      L: SH+UA+LA+H    R: SH+UA+LA+H
Armor:              Standard Armor               AV - 168                 10.50
    CASE Locations: 1 LT                                                   0.50

Internal       Armor     
                                                      Structure      Factor     
                                                Head     3            9         
                                        Center Torso     16           24       
                                 Center Torso (rear)                  7         
                                           L/R Torso     12           18       
                                    L/R Torso (rear)                  6         
                                             L/R Arm     8            16       
                                             L/R Leg     12           24       

Medium Laser                                 RA        3         1         1.00
Medium Laser                                 LA        3         1         1.00
Ultra AC/20                                  RT        8         10       15.00
@Ultra AC/20 (20)                            LT        -         4         4.00
                                            Free Critical Slots: 4

BattleForce Statistics
MV      S (+0)  M (+2)  L (+4)  E (+6)   Wt.   Ov   Armor:      6    Points: 13
4          4       4       0       0      2     0   Structure:  4
Special Abilities: CASE, SRCH, ES, SEAL, SOA

Speaking of faster Hunchbacks, you can actually squeeze 5/8 out of it with an SFE.
Turbo Hunchback HBK-TRB1

Production Year: 3045
Cost: 4,502,000 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,233

Power Plant: Unknown 250 Fusion Engine
Walking Speed: 54.0 km/h
Maximum Speed: 86.4 km/h
Armor: Unknown Ferro-Fibrous w/ CASE
Armament:
    1  Autocannon/20
    2  Medium Lasers

Internal Structure: Endo-Steel                    83 points                2.50
    Internal Locations: 1 CT, 5 LT, 3 LA, 3 RA, 2 LL
Engine:             Fusion Engine                250                      12.50
    Walking MP: 5
    Running MP: 8
Heat Sinks:         Double Heat Sink             10(20)                    0.00
Gyro:               Standard                                               3.00
Armor:              Ferro-Fibrous                AV - 169                  9.50
    Armor Locations: 1 HD, 1 CT, 4 LT, 4 LA, 4 RA
    CASE Locations: 1 RT                                                   0.50

Internal       Armor     
                                                      Structure      Factor     
                                                Head     3            9         
                                        Center Torso     16           24       
                                 Center Torso (rear)                  8         
                                           L/R Torso     12           18       
                                    L/R Torso (rear)                  6         

Autocannon/20                                RT        7         10       14.00
@AC/20 (5)                                   RT        -         1         1.00
@AC/20 (10)                                  RL        -         2         2.00
                                            Free Critical Slots: 3

BattleForce Statistics
MV      S (+0)  M (+2)  L (+4)  E (+6)   Wt.   Ov   Armor:      6    Points: 12
5          3       3       0       0      2     0   Structure:  4
Special Abilities: CASE, SRCH, ES, SEAL, SOA, AC 2/2/0
« Last Edit: 13 December 2017, 21:42:47 by Andras »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #41 on: 13 December 2017, 21:49:00 »
Since we're still posting designs here, I wanted to drag one of my older designs out.  Here's a "Marik Civil War Special" Hunchback from the Succession Wars:

As anyone who's seen more than one of my posts down here knows, I'm a Blazer Cannon fanatic.  Since Marik was the first house to produce a prototype, it struck me as the perfect weapon for use in one of their many civil wars (where the original Blazer Rifle itself saw plenty of use).  A quick glance over Xotl's excellent tables revealed Hunchbacks are a common medium 'mech chassis for Marik, and given the proliferation of variants, it seemed like the logical choice for the base.  Taking a cue from the perfect heat tuning of the Marik Wolverine (WVR-6M), this variant can jump and alpha strike every other turn while cooling off with a jump and a pair of medium lasers in between.  It drops the small laser in the name of heat balance, and tacks a little more armor on the legs.

Civil War Special HBK-4BS

Rules Level: Experimental Tech
Era: Succession Wars
Tech Rating/Era Availability: D/X-E-E-A
Production Year: 2812
Cost: 3,533,500 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,182

Chassis: Crucis Type V Standard
Power Plant: Nissan 200 Fusion Engine
Walking Speed: 43.2 km/h
Maximum Speed: 64.8 km/h
Jump Jets: Northrup 12000
    Jump Capacity: 120 meters
Armor: Starshield Standard Armor
Armament:
    1  Binary Laser Cannon
    2  Hellion-V Medium Lasers
Manufacturer: Kali-Yama Weapons Industries
    Primary Factory: Kalidasa
Communications System: Omicron 4002 Networking Channel
Targeting and Tracking System: TRSS Eagle Eye

Internal Structure: Standard                      83 points                5.00
Engine:             Fusion Engine                200                       8.50
    Walking MP: 4
    Running MP: 6
    Jumping MP: 4 Standard
    Jump Jet Locations: 2 LT, 2 RT                                         2.00
Heat Sinks:         Single Heat Sink             18                        8.00
    Heat Sink Locations: 2 CT, 4 LT, 2 LL, 2 RL
Gyro:               Standard                                               2.00
Armor:              Standard Armor               AV - 168                 10.50

Internal       Armor     
                                                      Structure      Factor     
                                                Head     3            9         
                                        Center Torso     16           26       
                                 Center Torso (rear)                  5         
                                           L/R Torso     12           20       
                                    L/R Torso (rear)                  4         

Binary Laser Cannon                          RT        16        4         9.00
                                            Free Critical Slots: 27

BattleForce Statistics
MV      S (+0)  M (+2)  L (+4)  E (+6)   Wt.   Ov   Armor:      6    Points: 12
4j         2       2       0       0      2     1   Structure:  4
Special Abilities: ENE, SRCH, ES, SEAL, SOA